Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

51 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Why is this even a topic of discussion?

All posters please read:

This is a topic of discussion because a coaching replacement is an extremely real possibility for Auburn. Whether any of us like it or not. With the contract/Stoops/paycut/booster fiasco after the Iron Bowl last season, it's disingenuous to act like you don't understand why new candidates are being discussed. None of us have any say, and the boosters that do seem to be more than ready to fire Gus. 

It's like you guys are getting pissed at a weather forecaster for calling for rain. I'm not recommending rain, I'm just seeing there's a 50% chance and figuring out some good potential umbrellas to use. If this is a topic you don't want to think about, I understand. But stop taking offense. And stop playing dumb. It's an extremely relevant topic, and before the season started, most on the board were in agreement Gus was more likely than not to get the axe. 

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Agree with your sentiment exactly but I think the bigger picture is if you hire a HC from schools like Memphis State or Tulsa etc they are not going to be familiar with coaches at the power 5 conference or NFL so who are they going to hire coaches from the conference he came from so the school that hired the MSU or Tulsa coach is going to get a lot of coaches from those conferences so familiarity with hiring assistant coaches is not just a trait of Gus.

Like many have said before, Gus comes from no elite coaching "tree", he comes from Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik.  

There is no excuse for not having NFL connections though, Auburn has plenty of players in the pro's that could've and should've opened some doors for Gus & Co. by now.

24 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

You made my point for me.  Hiring the right offensive coordinators has not worked out for Gus.  The reason is because he only wants to run what he knows and any hires he has or will make are only those that will stand by as an OC in title only.  Gus had it right, he does need to be a head coach and leader of the program while letting someone else run the offense.  He just can't do it.  

Man I tell you what,  Patrick Fain Dye sure did have a rough time as a head coach who had never been and offensive or defensive coordinator.  And Tom Osborne sure did struggle in his career with 1 season as an OC before getting to be a head coach.  Then there is that Bobby Bowden fella who was only an assistant at FSU and West Virginia before returning to FSU to become the head coach.  Boy did he struggle mightily in his career without being a full blown coordinator.

First of all Osbourne was OC from 69 to 72 and bowden was OC from 66 to 69.

4 minutes ago, Carnell said:

First of all Osbourne was OC from 69 to 72 and bowden was OC from 66 to 69.

You are correct on both accounts.  Bowden at WV and Osborne at Nebraska.  I still do not think 4 years as an OC amounts to a hill of beans when it comes to being able to hire coaches as a head coach.

30 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

All posters please read:

This is a topic of discussion because a coaching replacement is an extremely real possibility for Auburn. Whether any of us like it or not. With the contract/Stoops/paycut/booster fiasco after the Iron Bowl last season, it's disingenuous to act like you don't understand why new candidates are being discussed. None of us have any say, and the boosters that do seem to be more than ready to fire Gus. 

It's like you guys are getting pissed at a weather forecaster for calling for rain. I'm not recommending rain, I'm just seeing there's a 50% chance and figuring out some good potential umbrellas to use. If this is a topic you don't want to think about, I understand. But stop taking offense. And stop playing dumb. It's an extremely relevant topic, and before the season started, most on the board were in agreement Gus was more likely than not to get the axe. 

How is it relevant if we are 5-1?  Do you think UGA is having the same discussion with the same record?

We are saying it’s dumb because frankly it is.  At least wait until November to even think about this.  It’s unfair to the coaching staff and players themselves to even talk about this.  

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

How is it relevant if we are 5-1?  Do you think UGA is having the same discussion with the same record?

We are saying it’s dumb because frankly it is.  At least wait until November to even think about this.  It’s unfair to the coaching staff and players themselves to even talk about this.  

We are about to be 6-1 with a blow out win of Arky where the classic Auburn fan stockholm syndrome will kick in that way way too many of our fans go through each summer! lol. But it will be back to reality after the LSU game. A coaching search is honestly the most exciting and engaging time of a sports message board. There will be so many new faces to pop in and people who have not been around for awhile that will pop up. The traffic in here will be really high and fierce. The comments will be free flowing. It is so fun with all the rumors and tracking flights and other nonsense. I LIVE for coaching searches. It is like a drug. I NEED MORE MORE MORE! lol. Also but seriously Hope springs eternal with a coaching search. It is a fresh start and another chance for us to get it right and get THE GUY as our Head Coach. Which is the only thing we are lacking in our great and storied history is one of those elite transcendent coaches that defines a era in the sport. 

When you do not have THE GUY as your Head Coach then it is just natural for people to bring up from time to time who the next coach could be. We know Gus is not a bad coach. He can be good sometimes. He averages out to be above replacement level though. He is def not THE GUY. So I am always on the look out for other coaches to potentially be our next Head Coach. If you want kum ba yah and us to wax poetic about how great our team is constantly and talk about how great our coach is then look no further than the basketball team! We know Bruce is ELITE. We know Bruce is THE GUY. He is a top 10 coach  in the game. We know we are in good hands there. So no need to ever talk about who the next head coach is. We got VERY LUCKY with Bruce because of his situation and our job came open at the perfect time. We have not been as fortunate or had the same luck in football. The stars finally could be aligning since 2 all star coaches are un employed right now in Urbs and Stoops. *fingers crossed* WAR DAMN!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!! LETS FREAKING GO BAAAAAY BAAAAAA!!!!!!

Our coach makes $7,000,000 per year.  He can handle the discussion.  He should be used to it by now.  We could hire a wide receivers coach from a major program and go 8-4 every year and pay him $2.5mm per year.  I want the switch to flip for Gus.  I honestly do.  I haaaate the thought of spending over $20mm for a buyout.  Such a waste of money.  So I am rooting like crazy for Gus to win 10 games or more this year and put this discussion to bed.  But when you make $7mm a year it comes with the territory.   

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Auburn has sat back and watched LSU/UGA/UF go through coaching changes

And there is not a person on this board or anywhere in the state that watched LSU and UF make their changes and thought, "Dang thats a great hire." When Smart is the best hire of the three and he is the second coming of Mark Richt it doesn't say much for your argument.   

1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

And there is not a person on this board or anywhere in the state that watched LSU and UF make their changes and thought, "Dang thats a great hire." When Smart is the best hire of the three and he is the second coming of Mark Richt it doesn't say much for your argument.   

I thought the Mullen hire was a great hire for Florida.  Perfect in fact.  I thought the yaw yaw hire was out of desperation.  Wonder what yaw yaw is making a year?   Probably a steal for LSU right now.  That will probably change soon though.  Dude hired some great assistants and was man enough to let them do their job.  That is a job well done by a guy that knows what he is and what he is not.  Just like old Dabo.  

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I think the biggest problem with the discussion is what are you going to get that is better? Stoops is not coming besides he had success at the best program in a weak league. How many times did he win the "Big One"? The best way to end up like UT, Michigan, or USC is to make a bad hire. I would say there is a higher chance we end up like UT if GM is fired than ending up like LSU or UGA with their latest hires. 

Like it or not the most important coaching decision for AU isn't GM's replacement. It is the decision of another coach across the state and when he decides to retire. 

All posters please read:

This. If he doesn’t beat at least one of Alabama/Georgia/LSU then he is gone. Especially with Georgia losing to SCar at home. 

8 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I thought the Mullen hire was a great hire for Florida.  Perfect in fact.  I thought the yaw yaw hire was out of desperation.  Wonder what yaw yaw is making a year?   Probably a steal for LSU right now.  That will probably change soon though.  Dude hired some great assistants and was man enough to let them do their job.  That is a job well done by a guy that knows what he is and what he is not.  Just like old Dabo.  

Yup and when O realized the offense could be better he went and got help for his OC to change an offense they had been running since the Great Depression 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Heupel

Cristobal

Aranda

Jeff Scott

James Leonard

Shane Beamer

HIS NAME IS JIM SIR!!!! JIM!!!!!!!! lol 

werewr.gif

sdfsdf.gif

5 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I think the biggest problem with the discussion is what are you going to get that is better? Stoops is not coming besides he had success at the best program in a weak league. How many times did he win the "Big One"? The best way to end up like UT, Michigan, or USC is to make a bad hire. I would say there is a higher chance we end up like UT if GM is fired than ending up like LSU or UGA with their latest hires. 

Like it or not the most important coaching decision for AU isn't GM's replacement. It is the decision of another coach across the state and when he decides to retire. 

Wait till the little bastard retires?  WTH will Gus do about the losses to Tennessee/MSU/LSU/UGA? 

People on this board know me, and I've said for years that Nick Saban and uat are not Gus' problem.  If they were the only losses he had every year, AU would easily be considered and elite program and these constant threads would never appear.  But when Gus chalks up losses to 1st yr HC's like he did last year I think everyone knows what caliber of a HC we have.

I guess there is a better way to say what I have tried to get across in posts above. While others are excited about coaching searches I am scared to death AU will make a huge mistake and set us back for 15 years. I know we have new leadership but other than Pearl and Thompson how many hires has AU made the last 20 years that have been homeruns in any sport. 

12 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I guess there is a better way to say what I have tried to get across in posts above. While others are excited about coaching searches I am scared to death AU will make a huge mistake and set us back for 15 years. I know we have new leadership but other than Pearl and Thompson how many hires has AU made the last 20 years that have been homeruns in any sport. 

We have never made a good hire in football since Dye. We have basically hired the same guy in different versions and forms. Has it set us back 15 years?  NOPE. A bunch of average coaches at least had 1 great season. Auburn is set up so well we are immune to failure even though we have not made good hires *knock on wood profusely though lol*. Think about how well we do when we eventually get it right. And we will. It is only a matter of time. The law of averages are bound to even out. We are bound to get lucky with one of these football hires very soon.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Like many have said before, Gus comes from no elite coaching "tree", he comes from Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik.  

There is no excuse for not having NFL connections though, Auburn has plenty of players in the pro's that could've and should've opened some doors for Gus & Co. by now.

That makes sense however Auburn draftees are bit players in the NFL and in addition several on this board or another board stated that NFL coaches believes that the blocking scheme employed by Auburn is not viable for the NFL.  This maybe what limits gus NFL connection.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Again. Disingenuous. Comparing Smart's situation at UGA and Malzahn's situation at AU is laughable. 

All posters please read:

Well, in my defense. This is the last weather forecaster I watched that called for rain post prediction.

chikage.jpg

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Well, in my defense. This is the last weather forecaster I watched that called for rain post prediction.

chikage.jpg

Interesting choice for that lady. In a wheelchair, but chooses to wear a short skirt. Doppler is showing some high-thighs in the forecast, along with a 10% chance of a "Basic Instinct". 

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

Wait till the little bastard retires?  WTH will Gus do about the losses to Tennessee/MSU/LSU/UGA? 

People on this board know me, and I've said for years that Nick Saban and uat are not Gus' problem.  If they were the only losses he had every year, AU would easily be considered and elite program and these constant threads would never appear.  But when Gus chalks up losses to 1st yr HC's like he did last year I think everyone knows what caliber of a HC we have.

But they are man or will be if we go looking for a new coach with Saban still around. Know I've mentioned it before but I've a good friend that is an ex player and pretty tied into some major programs staff's. Other coaches, coordinators, position coaches look at our schedule, whats demanded on that schedule, who the rivals are, and see Gus on the seat every year. They got families and want security, and while coaching always has some instability, we are not super attractive in that regards at the moment.

Kirby have an off season combined with Saban leaving would do wonders for us if we had to/wanted to go searching. Especially with Jimbo not living up to the hype at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

But they are man or will be if we go looking for a new coach with Saban still around. Know I've mentioned it before but I've a good friend that is an ex player and pretty tied into some major programs staff's. Other coaches, coordinators, position coaches look at our schedule, whats demanded on that schedule, who the rivals are, and see Gus on the seat every year. They got families and want security, and while coaching always has some instability, we are not super attractive in that regards at the moment.

Kirby have an off season combined with Saban leaving would do wonders for us if we had to/wanted to go searching. Especially with Jimbo not living up to the hype at the moment.

HMMMMMMM 49 million dollars is not security?! WELL THIS IS NEWS TO ME!!!!!! lol. WHO WOULD NOT WANT THAT?!?! WTF KIND OF SECURITY ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?!?! A Jimbo sized lifetime contract? hahaha. WE ARE after all BUYOUT U!!!

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Again. Disingenuous. Comparing Smart's situation at UGA and Malzahn's situation at AU is laughable. 

He’s been to two playoffs while we’ve been to none. Agreed it’s not a 1-to-1 comparison 

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Auburn pays top shelf salaries as evidenced by the nations top 5 paid coaches currently on staff today.

Auburn has more stability than just about any program because the Administration is willing to accept mediocrity AND hand out massive raises and extensions when a miracle season unearths itself and we beat two of our main rivals.

Hell, anyone interested aught to look at Auburn as a place were you don't even have to go .500 with your 3 main rivals AND you can even crap the bed every now and then & lose to the likes of Jeremy Pruitt/Joe Moorehead/Dan Mullen and still retain your position. 😒

Archived