Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Pawwwwwwwwwwwwwllll is professing surprise?   Really?

:poke:

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are going to hang 50 on ole miss. These are the type of games that lead to severe case of Gus stockholm syndrome for a lot of our fan base. All it takes is a convincing win vs a terrible team to reel them back in..............

Um Perdue cough cough...

Karma. Joey wins the Heisman at Florida........

2 hours ago, keesler said:

I'm jumping in the middle of a thread - I had to actually WORK and couldn't keep up in here.

Can you take a minute and research a little on all of Kirby & Nick's transfer QB's, did any of them leave mid-season and did any of them have a QB in front of them that was producing at about the same rate and consistency that Bo Nix is currently producing?  

Perhaps in the cases of the transfers mentioned, there were great signing classes....and one then

stepped up to be elite. At that point, others left.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Were you even alive when Coker was at Miami? O and Gene Chizik was already our Coker. Wins a Natty.......... Fired a couple of years later lol.

I just meant in the sense of an in-house guy promoted to maintain the quo. I think I’d like this locker room and 98% of the staff maintained 

I am not bashing Bo, but in three big games this year, OR, FL, & LSU, he has shown he was not ready to be QB1. He should have been pulled at halftime at FL, maybe even Oregon since he went 13-31 in passing completion in that game. Then we let him have a few good games against sub-par defenses and everybody thinks all is well- until we faced LSU and we see, once again, how he performs against top-tier defenses. Joey is watching all this on the sidelines. He knows Bo is struggling and he deserves a chance, doesn´t the whole team know it as well? 

Would Joey have done any better than Bo? We´ll never know now, will we?

I’d like to keep Dillingham too, I don’t think the issues Bo has had at QB are mainly things he can work out at this time. Kid needs to be sat down and have his mental clock/consistency tweaked. Those aren’t things that can be managed with him also starting

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Also even if Gus was open to adjusting his philosophy to his talent Particularly OL talent in this case I’m not even sure he would have the first clue on how to become a pass first To set up the run offense given his passing schemes alone are very simplistic.

Yeah we’ve definitely seen his ceiling in offensive creativity. It took him having a guy that couldn’t hit anything else he likes to run for him to decide “man, we gotta run slants and crossing routes huh?” 

7 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Rather than read thru this thread or start a new one, has anyone heard anything about team attitude relative to this?  Are they divided like fans are?

It’s too early but there are a few players pissed about it. 

Unless Auburn beats either Ga or bama with Joey leaving like this. I believe Gus is gone. It is one thing to wait till end of the season and leave for a better opportunity but leaving like this means he was pissed off. This is a kid who signed early had many opportunities to not sign with Auburn Red shirted and handled it well when Bo beat him for starter. This young man has shown a lot of class. I think he is making a statement by leaving like this. I think he is saying you lied to me so HASTA LA VISTA BABY.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

If anyone is reeled back in by a win over a bad Ole Miss team I will be judging those people, their character, their families, and their morals.

After the myriad threads where we all talk about how we treat each other on the boards.... That was freakin' funny!!!!

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Wish him nothing but the best in the future   Will always root for him.  War Eagle

Really, really dumb question. 

Could he change his mind and not transfer at the end of the semester? 

It’s not wishful thinking, I just dont know how it works. 

44 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Purdue was probably the absolute worst team to play in a bowl game last year.........maybe in history

Rondale Moore was the biggest reason for their success, without him, they probably don’t make a bowl 

33 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Really, really dumb question. 

Could he change his mind and not transfer at the end of the semester? 

It’s not wishful thinking, I just dont know how it works. 

Not a dumb question!  Yes, he can enter the portal and still choose to remain at Auburn.  But it sounds like he has no intention to return.  

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not a dumb question!  Yes, he can enter the portal and still choose to remain at Auburn.  But it sounds like he has no intention to return.  

Agreed.

I HATE it though. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

The sky is still up there. I’m disappointed but this is getting ridiculous 

Romper Room over a decision by a  young man. Wife and I are hosting a tailgate/engagement party at Amphitheater Saturday. Afraid I will get hit in mouth if this much hate is around.

Keep in mind that once again the coaches wasted another player's year of eligibility. Last year it was Asa Martin and now it's Gatewood. They've wasted Gatewood's Sophomore season by playing him in more than 4 games even though Gus had no plans on actually giving him any meaningful playing time. The more I think about it the more irritated I get about it.

Dabo Swinney only let Kelly Bryant play in 4 games in 2018 and saved Bryant's eligibility to play in 2019. Wouldn't it have been nice of Gus to tell Gatewood after the Texas A&M game that unless Nix gets hurt that he doesn't have any plans on using him more than for some redzone packages and to tell him if he wants to transfer or start looking elsewhere that it would be ok.

Instead Gus told Gatewood that he planned on using him more in the 2nd half of the season after he's already played in more than 4 games. Then against LSU, Gatewood only came in for one play. That was probably the last straw for Gatewood and now he's left the team.

9 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Keep in mind that once again the coaches wasted another player's year of eligibility. Last year it was Asa Martin and now it's Gatewood. They've wasted Gatewood's Sophomore season by playing him in more than 4 games even though Gus had no plans on actually giving him any meaningful playing time. The more I think about it the more irritated I get about it.

Dabo Swinney only let Kelly Bryant play in 4 games in 2018 and saved Bryant's eligibility to play in 2019. Wouldn't it have been nice of Gus to tell Gatewood after the Texas A&M game that unless Nix gets hurt that he doesn't have any plans on using him more than for some redzone packages and to tell him if he wants to transfer or start looking elsewhere that it would be ok.

Instead Gus told Gatewood that he planned on using him more in the 2nd half of the season after he's already played in more than 4 games. Then against LSU, Gatewood only came in for one play. That was probably the last straw for Gatewood and now he's left the team.

Gatewood already redshirted. 4 games makes no difference any more. 

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Rather than read thru this thread or start a new one, has anyone heard anything about team attitude relative to this?  Are they divided like fans are?

Twitter's fairly vocal with veiled comments here and there.  Even in our "social media saturated" culture, wisdom plus timing overrules complete transparency.  

Archived