Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

36 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Romper Room over a decision by a  young man. Wife and I are hosting a tailgate/engagement party at Amphitheater Saturday. Afraid I will get hit in mouth if this much hate is around.

If only it were that simple.  But we all know that it's not.  Hope your tailgate experience/engagement party goes smoothly.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck to Joey. He's still on the team, of course. If Bo goes down, Joey will be "man up." for the remainder of the year (as long as he attends classes, and attends practices. Because ..... hell, who else Gus got?

But assuming JG does leave, I hope he gets into a program where he can use his talents and succeed.

I'm certainly not wishing anything bad for Bo. But I'm now even more hoping Gus gets sacked. His offense is past its prime and the "offensive genius" is now just "offensive."

Quote me on that -- The "Offensive Genius is now just "Offensive."

10 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I will support him as well, but what are you going to do really?  I would have personally like to have seen Gatewood come in the game more as well.  But eventually one of these QB's would have transferred.  It happens.  Look at Justin Fields.  On the flip side, what if Gatewood started and Nix might transfer.  You would have people saying "Gus can't even keep our star legacy" or "Here is another 5* player to transfer out."  Like I said, we knew ahead of time one would transfer most likely, it was a difficult position for any coach to be in.  Would playing Gatewood more keep him?  Personally I think so judging by his high school situation but you never know.

I agree. We were losing one of them one way or the other. With the portal and new transfer rules people just need to accept your not going to be keeping talented QB's on the sideline for years waiting on a shot. I even posted an article that was written about the number of QB transfers.

I remember when lot of people wanted to get rid of Jason Campbell also based off his early days.

Just now, AURex said:

Best of luck to Joey. He's still on the team, of course. If Bo goes down, Joey will be "man up." for the remainder of the year (as long as he attends classes, and attends practices. Because ..... hell, who else Gus got?

But assuming JG does leave, I hope he gets into a program where he can use his talents and succeed.

I'm certainly not wishing anything bad for Bo. But I'm now even more hoping Gus gets sacked. His offense is past its prime and the "offensive genius" is now just "offensive."

Quote me on that -- The "Offensive Genius is now just "Offensive."

I don’t think it would play out like that. Not saying it cannot but usually when you quit, you are done.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Wish him nothing but the best in the future   Will always root for him.  War Eagle

Thank you for posting this, abw...but it makes my heart hurt even harder.  I haven't taken other departures like I am taking this one.  Prayers and blessing for Joey and for the rest of the team, too.

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Really, really dumb question. 

Could he change his mind and not transfer at the end of the semester? 

It’s not wishful thinking, I just dont know how it works. 

It's not a dumb question, and my heart is resounding with hurt like yours.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I would ask myself, "WOULD he", not just "COULD he."  I think there is much more to this than "lack of playing opportunity."

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Total BS . He has done everything asked of him. He has been lied to since day one. When Gus recruited him he promised him the moon. Then when season game he promised him good playing time. Gus is plainly a liar of the first degree. Gus plays the part of a good Godly man but in reality he is underhanded and a liar to his players, to recruits and their families, to the fans and to Auburn . He is a disgrace and definitely not an Auburn man that lives by the creed. They can’t fire him soon enough. I hope others like Arky see how sorry Gus is and no one hires him and he can go work in a Huddle House . I hope the rest of the good players have Joeys back and sit out this week against OM. That would be justice served. 

Maybe Gus wasn't allowed to do what he wanted? That last tweet by Johnson talking about coach having to protect himself and Auburn trying to keep its business behind closed doors along with this is why the football gods don't smile on Auburn.

Goes along with my buddies mention of big meddling rumors when it comes to Auburn boosters and coaches. Them giving marching orders to play and not rock the boat with the 5 star legacy qb..... would fit right in.

I think if Gus is as sorry a person/actor that people want to say he is his teams would of quit on him a long time ago.

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

If only it were that simple.  But we all know that it's not.  Hope your tailgate experience/engagement party goes smoothly.

Thank you. The tailgate will be great. Auburn will be as well. Please understand that I know very well it is not simple. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

And what booster in their right mind would force a coach to play someone who is underperforming? I have a hunch that rumor is wrong. 

And Jerry Jones thought he knew more about selections than Jimmy Johnson. Last time Cowboys went to a Super Bowl?

Ego Ego Ego! Lol my mom had a friend in Chicago that was the secretary to a CEO that would walk in on Monday's and tell her to call Tuberville. She had to have my mom explain the War Eagle thing to her.

20 minutes ago, alexava said:

Gatewood already redshirted. 4 games makes no difference any more. 

You are correct. But I still don't like the coaches stringing Gatewood along and telling him that he's going to get more playing time in the 2nd half of the season and then basically going back on their word by only letting him get one play in against LSU.

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thank you. The tailgate will be great. Auburn will be as well. Please understand that I know very well it is not simple. 

That's good.  It's easy to interpolate from this choice of words..."Romper Room over a decision by a  young man" ...that you thought it was.

#haven'tthoughtofthatinyears

Image result for romper room

Like to see Cord get some reps. He was a four star recruit and was recruited by Mullen who knows a little about it. Unless he’s thrown his arm out he’ll be a good backup, give em a shot with the starters I’m sure his high school offense was more complex then what he’s asked to do in ours.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Like to see Cord get some reps. He was a four star recruit and was recruited by Mullen who knows a little about it. Unless he’s thrown his arm out he’ll be a good backup, give em a shot with the starters I’m sure his high school offense was more complex then what he’s asked to do in ours.

We don't rep backups

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Good  choice for a description of this thread

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you can't see the complication in all of this, then for sure you really do think it's simple.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I was talking to JMR earlier. I told him that I would never activity root for an Auburn loss, but if we somehow win against Ole Miss by 1 on a last second blocked XP return and that sealed Gus' fate, then I was okay with that.

Bird et al, I totally see where you guys are coming from, believe me, but I can't do it. I still want us to beat Ole Miss by 50 and go on to beat the leg-humpers and the turds with a pummeling of Samford mixed in. I'd take a pummeling of all of them but I've seen enough this year to know that most likely will not happen. I know , I know...I must be smoking some really good sh!+ if I think any of that will happen but we've seen crazier stuff and with our D and the possibility that Bo all-of-a-sudden gets a grip on his abilities and goes Oregon finale on everyone, there is a chance however miniscule it might be. We've seen Bo flash brilliance, it's just that we've seen the opposite way more and at the worst of times this season. Regardless of what some think, we still have all the pieces, yes, even Gus get's it right sometimes too, he has at times in the past. So it could happen. The thing is, I will wish for it, I will hope for it, I will pull for it, I will take it and I'll still be disappointed if it doesn't happen. No matter what, where, how or when, I want Auburn to always succeed and big. I'm not suggesting that you guys want Auburn to fail, just saying that I can't hope for anything except the most from them at all times. That's just the Auburn in me. Time for you guys to pummel me I guess...but I'm just being honest.

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you can't see the complication in all of this, then for sure you really do think it's simple.

Tora, go to your  nearest brick wall, talk to it about Gus as much as you want to...you will accomplish the same amount.

7 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Judging by reports from fall practice he was not even the third best QB on the team then. It was the walk on.

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Tora, go to your  nearest brick wall, talk to it about Gus as much as you want to...you will accomplish the same amount.

Yup, my friend. "You're so right, Carl."

Image result for you're so right carlImage result for you're so right carl

1 minute ago, AuJoe said:

Bird et al, I totally see where you guys are coming from, believe me, but I can't do it. I still want us to beat Ole Miss by 50 and go on to beat the leg-humpers and the turds with a pummeling of Samford mixed in. I'd take a pummeling of all of them but I've seen enough this year to know that most likely will not happen. I know , I know...I must be smoking some really good sh!+ if I think any of that will happen but we've seen crazier stuff and with our D and the possibility that Bo all-of-a-sudden gets a grip on his abilities and goes Oregon finale on everyone, there is a chance however miniscule it might be. We've seen Bo flash brilliance, it's just that we've seen the opposite way more and at the worst of times this season. Regardless of what some think, we still have all the pieces, yes, even Gus get's it right sometimes too, he has at times in the past. So it could happen. The thing is, I will wish for it, I will hope for it, I will pull for it, I will take it and I'll still be disappointed if it doesn't happen. No matter what, where, how or when, I want Auburn to always succeed and big. I'm not suggesting that you guys want Auburn to fail, just saying that I can't hope for anything except the most from them at all times. That's just the Auburn in me. Time for you guys to pummel me I guess...but I'm just being honest.

Hey man I’m so anti Gus I would help him load the u haul but I still want us to win out because I love Auburn more than I dislike Gussy. No one should pummel you for that.

29 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Maybe Gus wasn't allowed to do what he wanted? That last tweet by Johnson talking about coach having to protect himself and Auburn trying to keep its business behind closed doors along with this is why the football gods don't smile on Auburn.

Goes along with my buddies mention of big meddling rumors when it comes to Auburn boosters and coaches. Them giving marching orders to play and not rock the boat with the 5 star legacy qb..... would fit right in.

I think if Gus is as sorry a person/actor that people want to say he is his teams would of quit on him a long time ago.

Die Hard is one of my all time favorite movies. RED is right up there too. I was disappointed in RED 2 but hey I know you don’t write the movies. I am glad to see you’re an Auburn fan though Bruce.

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Told you I see the complication. Problems will be handled appropriately and when the timing is right. Until then hope we win out the month of November.   

2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You are correct. But I still don't like the coaches stringing Gatewood along and telling him that he's going to get more playing time in the 2nd half of the season and then basically going back on their word by only letting him get one play in against LSU.

I’m not a coach slayer. I like Gus as much as anyone. I wanted to see Joey too. I kinda understand not pulling your qb during a game when you have repped him for that role and you think he’s going to get it going next series. But I don’t see why you can’t get him in more in the red zone and for that matter when you are backed up to your goal line. I think joey could have been a spark. You might have had to change strategy a little but it was worth a shot. I don’t think he helped himself by saying he wasn’t considering a change. 

My heart aches for Joey. Especially after that statement he released. I’ll be a fan as long he doesn’t go to bammer or uga or Mullen. But we are playing a game Saturday. Then have a decent chance to win 10 regular season games and I f we do ar least win 9 Gus will be your coach again next year and we can continue whining or try to enjoy it. 

I never picked a qb and fought for one or the other. I did predict Bo would win the job. I didn’t have a prediction whether he would keep it. I lost some confidence in Bo at Florida. LSU didn’t help. It will be even harder now because we have nothing after Bo so naturally he won’t be running the ball as much. Defense will key on rbs more. But he has to play better in the last two games and win one . I think he will. If he doesn’t and we lose, I doubt Gus will survive. I would never pull against Auburn. So I’m hoping he’s back. 

Archived