Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

4 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

We are on here argueing about GM not giving JG a chance and how he is playing politics or whatever. GM has shown through the years that he will tell us how great his QB's are and then reality hits. We are basing a lot of our expectiations of JG on Gus' glowing reviews.

People are saying that as bad as the offense looks he shoudl have gotten a shot at LSU even if he isn't as good as Nix. If he wasn't as good as Nix why give him a series? When the offense is struggling that bad they need every chance they can get to score and can't "waste" a drive even though we ended up wasting them anyway. 

I have not seen anyone saying this. I've seen people say give Joey a chance to even see what he is compared to Nix. How do we know Joey "isn't as good as Nix"?

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

And what booster in their right mind would force a coach to play someone who is underperforming? I have a hunch that rumor is wrong.

With Auburn financial obligations to Gus....... win, lose, or draw. Doubt seriously that anyone tries to force something on him or that he would listen. 

Best of luck JG. Hate we didn't get the opportunity to see your potential at Auburn. Great job Gustav another winner. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I have not seen anyone saying this. I've seen people say give Joey a chance to even see what he is compared to Nix. How do we know Joey "isn't as good as Nix"?

We can't know. The things we have to go by is players and coaches which they said it's neck and neck. Then what we've seen. And we haven't been able to see them in actual games but we saw in scrimmages and in scrimmages I'd say JG looked better. So we don't know but we have more evidence that jg is close or better than Bo as opposed to Bo is head and shoulders better than JG

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

A couple of posters said that exact thing. They said even if he truly was the second best he should have gotten a shot. I honestly think if Gus would keep his mouth shut and stop sunshine pumping the QB's we wouldn't be having a 20 page discussion on a back up transferring. 

Just now, cole256 said:

We can't know. The things we have to go by is players and coaches which they said it's neck and neck. Then what we've seen. And we haven't been able to see them in actual games but we saw in scrimmages and in scrimmages I'd say JG looked better. So we don't know but we have more evidence that jg is close or better than Bo as opposed to Bo is head and shoulders better than JG

I mean holy s*** what could Joey have possibly done wrong? An interception? Oh no, not like we haven't had some of those. 90% of our series were total wastes or 3 and outs. Gatewood could have managed a 3 and out with the best of them. Mind boggling. Thank the lord most of these people aren't coaches at any level.

Why is he leaving now? That's what I can't figure out. We all knew it was coming eventually, but we did not expect it with 2 of the biggest games of the year left. So why now? Is it that he's that furious and fed up with Malzahn?

14 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

He played FIVE QB's in that unforgettable Clemson game, and he couldn't give JG one series, or even one play at the goal line, when the starter is struggling. 

Man, you hit the nail on the head!

37 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And here's one more thought about the politics. 

There are 100 other things that Gus is constantly maligned for - not utilizing other talent on the team, not adjusting his offense, play calling - whatever it may be. It's almost always chalked up to stubbornness or incompetence, but never politics. So why then would the same people single this situation out as politics? If Gus is incompetent or stubborn, then it follows that this situation is due to stubbornness or incompetence. I just don't see the political angle. 

I'm not saying it's not political - it's certainly possible, it just doesn't add up for me and no one has presented any evidence to prove it.

Finally, as someone pointed out earlier, it may be that Bo truly was the best option at QB. If not, then my vote goes for things that I filter all my other complaints about Gus through: stubbornness or incompetence, or both.

Well, A, we’ve never had a situation where politics should’ve been involved in Auburn football before. Other than the politics involved in Gus’s management of the offense, which he kowtowed to immediately and for several seasons.

B. I would look at it in the opposite sense, since we never had politics before, that’s why the fact that there’s smoke to this fire should make it even more noteworthy. 

1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

A couple of posters said that exact thing. They said even if he truly was the second best he should have gotten a shot. I honestly think if Gus would keep his mouth shut and stop sunshine pumping the QB's we wouldn't be having a 20 page discussion on a back up transferring. 

LOL at everyone forming their opinion of Joey based off Gus's comments. That can't seriously be what you think. 

And yes, Joey Gatewood who barely got beat out by Bo Nix should have been given a chance when Bo Nix proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he could not play winning football in Gainesville and Baton Rouge. Not sure what is so contentious about that. 

2 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Actually it's more if the starter was playing at an average rate people wouldn't be concerned, but at this rate it's hard to believe that somebody is much worse than what we saw last game

Just now, TigerFanAU said:

Why is he leaving now? That's what I can't figure out. We all knew it was coming eventually, but we did not expect it with 2 of the biggest games of the year left. So why now? Is it that he's that furious and fed up with Malzahn?

My guess is after the Florida loss when Gus had the moronic quote of "I didn't once consider using Joey and we probably should have used a package with him."

Then, against LSU, Gus again says he hadn't even considered using Joey. Then you see the heart breaking moment when Joey was so excited to help the team and is snatched back to the sideline and told no.

Can probably focus on his classes and visiting other campuses before transferring so it's not a rushed decision.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

It sucks but I don't blame him. It probably does have something to do with GM but at the same time it could be the fact he knows he isn't going to get a chance so why not get start looking. For his future he needs to find a home and do so before schools go through the early signing period in December. This gives him an opportunity to take a couple of visits during football season. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

LOL at everyone forming their opinion of Joey based off Gus's comments. That can't seriously be what you think. 

And yes, Joey Gatewood who barely got beat out by Bo Nix should have been given a chance when Bo Nix proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he could not play winning football in Gainesville and Baton Rouge. Not sure what is so contentious about that. 

See that's the problem. We want to gloss over that.....we want to say well if he was the starter he's the best.... But how can you make that make sense when the EXACT same coach just opened up the center position......yet again 😒

Just now, RHN1975 said:

It sucks but I don't blame him. It probably does have something to do with GM but at the same time it could be the fact he knows he isn't going to get a chance so why not get start looking. For his future he needs to find a home and do so before schools go through the early signing period in December. This gives him an opportunity to take a couple of visits during football season. 

I finally agree with you. Respectively disagree at times.

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

The biggest games are the ones he doesn't get to play in. 

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Zeek answers that here...

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My guess is after the Florida loss when Gus had the moronic quote of "I didn't once consider using Joey and we probably should have used a package with him."

Then, against LSU, Gus again says he hadn't even considered using Joey. Then you see the heart breaking moment when Joey was so excited to help the team and is snatched back to the sideline and told no.

Can probably focus on his classes and visiting other campuses before transferring so it's not a rushed decision.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

See that's the problem. We want to gloss over that.....we want to say well if he was the starter he's the best.... But how can you make that make sense when the EXACT same coach just opened up the center position......yet again 😒

Yet another reason wrestling is a superior sport. Let two guys compete for the starting spot and whoever wins the match is your starter. One of the most 'fair' sports there is.

I digress, literally can't imagine Joey coming in and doing anything horrendous if given even one series against Florida or LSU. "He could throw a pick six" yeah well he hasn't done that yet sooooooo what? Sometimes it's not that the backup is "better" but occasionally a change makes a difference. 

I am having a hard time with the question that I keep seeing on here, what if Bo Nix is the better quarterback?  I don't see the relevance to whether Joey needed to come into the game or not.  Nix failed in his job as quarterback on many occasions during the LSU game and the Florida game.  He was rattled, could not hit the side of a barn with a pass and generally just shut down.  If we are playing to win for the entire team then as a coach, you allow that player to sit and gather his thoughts, talent ,whatever and you also allow the OTHER AUBURN QUARTERBACK a chance to help his team, otherwise, why have a back up at all?

Joey Gatewood could not have hurt us in those situations, they were already at a dismal point.   No other player on the entire roster including the kicker would be given such a very long leash.  Nix might be the the "better" quarterback in practice under non pressure situations but that doesn't always correlate to play on the field.  I hate we lost a possibly great Auburn player and man but I applaud him for thinking of his future and his own possibilities.  I will certainly root for him.  I hope we win every game we play and I hate that the other players that play their heart out each and every game  have to contend with this right now but I think our problems will be partially solved when a change occurs at the top.

1 minute ago, aublue88 said:

I am having a hard time with the question that I keep seeing on here, what if Bo Nix is the better quarterback?  I don't see the relevance to whether Joey needed to come into the game or not.  Nix failed in his job as quarterback on many occasions during the LSU game and the Florida game.  He was rattled, could not hit the side of a barn with a pass and generally just shut down.  If we are playing to win for the entire team then as a coach, you allow that player to sit and gather his thoughts, talent ,whatever and you also allow the OTHER AUBURN QUARTERBACK a chance to help his team, otherwise, why have a back up at all?

Joey Gatewood could not have hurt us in those situations, they were already at a dismal point.   No other player on the entire roster including the kicker would be given such a very long leash.  Nix might be the the "better" quarterback in practice under non pressure situations but that doesn't always correlate to play on the field.  I hate we lost a possibly great Auburn player and man but I applaud him for thinking of his future and his own possibilities.  I will certainly root for him.  I hope we win every game we play and I hate that the other players that play their heart out each and every game  have to contend with this right now but I think our problems will be partially solved when a change occurs at the top.

Agreed. I believe Kiehl Frazier was truly a great quarterback... but he got bucked off the horse hard and never seemed to mentally recover.

38 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

There's a rumor that a booster is forcing Gus's hand with playing Bo and I'm starting to believe it.

All this sounds like is a rumor created as a reason to give Malzahn a pass for what is likely to be another 4 loss season. That still doesn't justify stupid decisions like playing a hurt Whitlow in the wildcat when he has a healthy Gatewood standing next to him that could have run it much better.  

8 minutes ago, aublue88 said:

We don't really know honestly. Joey was not even given a full series or two to show us. I don't care who the better QB is in practice and camp. I want to see the best game time QB. In my opinion, you don't know who the best QB is unless you give them the same experience to work in and then make the call. That doesn't mean pull a Clemson and play every QB on the roster. lol

1 minute ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

We don't really know honestly. Joey was not even given a full series or two to show us. I don't care who the better QB is in practice and camp. I want to see the best game time QB. In my opinion, you don't know who the best QB is unless you give them the same experience to work in and then make the call. That doesn't mean pull a Clemson and play every QB on the roster. lol

That was kind of embarrassing. I'll never forget that clown show. The Whirlybird is also an alltime memory. 🤣

Archived