Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't care if it takes an Ole Miss loss to do it. I know I will catch big time flack for this but the long term health of the program depends on it.

And for those slandering Jeremy Johnson for weighing in, his quarterbacking skill and how his tenure ended up does not discount his opinion. He has seen this program from the inside and knows what's going on

You will be severely #fanscolded for this, stand by.  I also mentioned the Clemson debacle as an example of Gus’ prowess for naming a starter.  #overhishead.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Imagine that. The coach who played six ******* quarterbacks vs Clemson a few years ago won't even pull a QB playing like absolute trash to put in a backup who's in the mold of the only type of offense he's won with before. He jerked Joey around to the point to where he's leaving mid-season.

I'm so ******* done. Not that I wasn't before but at this point my number one priority for the AU program is to get Gus the hell out of here. I don't care if it takes an Ole Miss loss to do it. I know I will catch big time flack for this but the long term health of the program depends on it.

And for those slandering Jeremy Johnson for weighing in, his quarterbacking skill and how his tenure ended up does not discount his opinion. He has seen this program from the inside and knows what's going on. This is no different than Emory Blake saying similar things except Blake was more effective on the field. They've both been in the fire and been inside the facility's walls and know how CGM is first hand.

I think Gus is about to lose the team. And quite frankly, he doesn't deserve to keep the team.

Out of likes, but I would've given you all I had!

2 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

That would be the classic Auburn move wouldn’t it?

AUbsolutely. 

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Imagine that. The coach who played six ******* quarterbacks vs Clemson a few years ago won't even pull a QB playing like absolute trash to put in a backup who's in the mold of the only type of offense he's won with before. He jerked Joey around to the point to where he's leaving mid-season.

I'm so ******* done. Not that I wasn't before but at this point my number one priority for the AU program is to get Gus the hell out of here. I don't care if it takes an Ole Miss loss to do it. I know I will catch big time flack for this but the long term health of the program depends on it.

And for those slandering Jeremy Johnson for weighing in, his quarterbacking skill and how his tenure ended up does not discount his opinion. He has seen this program from the inside and knows what's going on. This is no different than Emory Blake saying similar things except Blake was more effective on the field. They've both been in the fire and been inside the facility's walls and know how CGM is first hand.

I think Gus is about to lose the team. And quite frankly, he doesn't deserve to keep the team.

Well, if we implode there's no way he survives to coach 2020, even with the obscene buyout. Fans will be absolutely incensed and there's nothing more frightening than a fanbase that's checked out. Trust me, I live in Tallahassee. My work and my wife's work literally cannot give away FSU tickets. Either we pony up a mountain of cash to buyout someone like Matt Campbell or Scott Satterfield or we get a budget hire like Luke Fickell (who is still a pretty darn good coach). Maybe we get suuuuuuuuper lucky and get Mario Cristobal down here, his buyout is cheap and supposedly he covets the Auburn job. Worst case scenario we promote Steele to HC for two or three years and he hires an OC. It's probably going to hurt for a year or two but we can at least get a fresh start and inject some hope back into the fanbase. 

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't care if it takes an Ole Miss loss to do it. I know I will catch big time flack for this but the long term health of the program depends on it.

I was talking to JMR earlier. I told him that I would never activity root for an Auburn loss, but if we somehow win against Ole Miss by 1 on a last second blocked XP return and that sealed Gus' fate, then I was okay with that.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You will be severely #fanscolded for this, stand by.  I also mentioned the Clemson debacle as an example of Gus’ prowess for naming a starter.  #overhishead.

I'm sure I will be. It's not my proudest moment but this is the "bottoming out" for me. If we won't fire him for countless 4+ loss seasons then it's going to take something drastic. As I said, priority #1 for the program should be showing Gus the door and I don't care how we get to that point whether it means an ugly loss this weekend or getting spanked by our rivals (yet again) whatever expedites that process is what I'm in favor of.

There's a reason the Philedelphia 76ers are good now -- they tanked for years and now are a premier threat in the NBA. I just want us to tank for a game or 2 to ensure Gus' ass is out. The end will justify the means IMO. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I was talking to JMR earlier. I told him that I would never activity root for an Auburn loss, but if we somehow win against Ole Miss by 1 on a last second blocked XP return and that sealed Gus' fate, then I was okay with that.

Agreed. I won't root for Auburn to lose but a terrible win against a bad team that finally gets Gus gone would be fine with me.

10 minutes ago, api1957 said:

That's what I thought! 

More whirlybird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for mildly impressed gif

gfp6tL.gif

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Er… which Clemson debacle?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we will learn a good bit about how the team feels about Gus come Saturday. A loss would say it all.

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Er… which Clemson debacle?

Oh, that would be the 2016 debacle, the 2017 debacle Gus knew who is starting QB would be and was so sure he had who he wanted he suspended the only backup he had that had game experience.  He also went into the game with a true freshman as a backup.  What an idiot.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Well like I said former players has been saying politics and they don't have a history and we'll see how the team responds because that's pretty much the only way you'll lose your team

Or the appearance of politics. 

Probably not a popular opinion, but in my experience, players (and people in the work force) almost ALWAYS think it's politics. 

This has been true on every sports team that I've played on since I was a little kid, and every job I've held as an adult. People always assume there is some other reason, ANY other reason except their performance which resulted in them not playing. 

So, while I'm not writing off what other players have said, I am going to take Jeremy Johnson's comments with a grain of salt, since he clearly believes it was politics that resulted in his dethronement under Gus.

Here’s my thoughts on Joey and our QB situation. I don’t know that Joey had been promised anything it will not assume he has but it doesn’t matter. The reality is even though Gus has not helped Bo this season with his playcalling sometimes there have been numerous plays there to be made that Bo has not made as a quarterback. As much as our OL struggles in run blocking they’ve been pretty good it pass blocking so the struggles we’ve had in the passing game have been on the yard and distance that Bo has been put in, our general passing scheme, and Bo’s performance in those situations. Like the rest of us Joey has seen Bo Struggle even when he is getting help from the rest of the offense. Their offense is clearly not working under Bo right now so the logical thing to do would be make an adjustment and see if somebody else can get things going. It’s very possible that with Joey‘s physical running style and the dimension it brings if he was playing maybe we would have shorter second and third down situations for quarterbacks to have easier plays to make. Also maybe Joey would’ve made the plays when they were there unlike Bo recently for the most part. The fact that he really never got an opportunity to do that is what’s frustrating to see and probably disheartening for him and why he has left. Furthermore as long as Gus is here I don’t know that Bo will develop much at all at his time at Auburn. Right now it looks like he has regressed. After all no high school signed QB has developed in Gus‘s head coaching tenure. For Gus’s style to work he needs a dominant run blocking OL which we don’t have and likely will not have for at least the next two years. As @bigbird has pointed out many times this team had the make up of playing better to be a pass first team to set up the run instead of Gus’s run, play action pass philosophy. I am now fully resigned to the fact that Gus will never truly change and adapt his beliefs and philosophy so I hope the people who are making the decisions will be ready to move on from him if we lose to Georgia and Bama later this year to go 8-4 yet again.

15 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Worst case scenario we promote Steele to HC for two or three years and he hires an OC. It's probably going to hurt for a year or two but we can at least get a fresh start and inject some hope back into the fanbase. 

This actually is not a bad idea, it really makes sense because we keep the D-guys together and keep KS....T hen KS makes a Beeline straight to Baton Rouge and hires a real offensive mind,Joe Brady, as OC....Keep Caddy coaching RB's(they have actually improved) and let Brady bring in new guys for the O-staff. Malzahn just cannot stay around for the future good of this program

The Ifs...

if we don’t beat Mercer...

if we don’t beat JSU...

if the horse collar is called in TexAM game 2013...

if the pass against Ga is intercepted or knocked down...

if Bama hits any one of 3 FGs in the 4th qtr...

if Les Miles had 1 more second on the play clock...

...we all held out hope for longer than most. Can’t even the most ardent of Gus supporter see it? Asking honestly. What will it take? 

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is how I'm feeling. Not rooting against AU (I'd never do that) but boy if I knew it would be the catalyst to serve Gus his walking papers I may just make the 8 hour drive to roll Toomers

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

The Ifs...

if we don’t beat Mercer...

if we don’t beat JSU...

if the horse collar is called in TexAM game 2013...

if the pass against Ga is intercepted or knocked down...

if Bama hits any one of 3 FGs in the 4th qtr...

if Les Miles had 1 more second on the play clock...

...we all held out hope for longer than most. Can’t even the most ardent of Gus supporter see it? Asking honestly. What will it take? 

Some of them still can’t or won’t. The rest of us are done. Some are more done’er than others, but done nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Right now it looks like he has regressed. After all no high school signed QB has developed in Gus‘s head coaching tenure. For Gus’s style to work he needs a dominant run blocking OL 

Man I wish someone had noticed that before now. :P

Just now, oracle79 said:

Man I wish someone had noticed that before now. :P

I'll take 7 mil a year to not notice that, though.

Archived