Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, oracle79 said:

Man I wish someone had noticed that before now. :P

A number of people have. Jeffrey Lee has been singing the last 3 weeks on Rivals. If it’s been posted in this thread then greet but I’m not going through the whole thread to see what everybody else said. LOL

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Or the appearance of politics. 

Probably not a popular opinion, but in my experience, players (and people in the work force) almost ALWAYS think it's politics. 

This has been true on every sports team that I've played on since I was a little kid, and every job I've held as an adult. People always assume there is some other reason, ANY other reason except their performance which resulted in them not playing. 

So, while I'm not writing off what other players have said, I am going to take Jeremy Johnson's comments with a grain of salt, since he clearly believes it was politics that resulted in his dethronement under Gus.

I can see that, I will also add in my experience when it is actually something like politics people go out of their way to say it's not because they don't want to believe that to be the case so they dismiss it.

And Johnson is not one of the players I've seen say this. Not saying the he's not telling the truth but I think he could be somewhat biased. The players I've seen say it have objective opinions from what I can tell. 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Id be perfectly okay with Steele being our Saban...or maybe more accurately, a Larry Coker

Were you even alive when Coker was at Miami? O and Gene Chizik was already our Coker. Wins a Natty.......... Fired a couple of years later lol.

Just now, cole256 said:

I can see that, I will also add in my experience when it is actually something like politics people go out of their way to say it's not because they don't want to believe that to be the case so they dismiss it.

And Johnson is not one of the players I've seen say this. Not saying the he's not telling the truth but I think he could be somewhat biased. The players I've seen say it have objective opinions from what I can tell. 

I agree that when it is politics, the ones playing politics will go out of their way to deny it. I'm not denying it, I just think there are other, more probable explanations.

What other players have said stuff? Curious to read what else has been said.

I saw the Emory Blake tweets, but nothing suggested politics.

26 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Er… which Clemson debacle?

The Whirlybird game. You know, THE Clemson debacle. 😉

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A number of people have. Jeffrey Lee has been singing the last 3 weeks on Rivals. If it’s been posted in this thread then greet but I’m not going through the whole thread to see what everybody else said. LOL

Well you now know one person on here that brought it up. You can probably imagine the reactions I received as well!

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Gatewood leaving team = bad coaching job by Malzahn? 'Kay

No, continuing to play a 40% passer with a freak running option on the bench leading to him leaving the program is the bad coaching job. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I agree that when it is politics, the ones playing politics will go out of their way to deny it. I'm not denying it, I just think there are other, more probable explanations.

What other players have said stuff? Curious to read what else has been said.

I saw the Emory Blake tweets, but nothing suggested politics.

I'm friends with players on Facebook, and I'm not talking about you personally but in my experience not just the people that play politics but the people that don't. They just don't want to believe other people will do such things or can't believe it because it's nothing they would do so they can't rationalize it. 

Trading an Ole Miss loss for the health of the program’s future wouldn’t be horrendous. It’s a Thanos type decision. Hell we lost to Moo State last year and they ran two plays.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Here’s my thoughts on Joey and our QB situation. I don’t know that Joey had been promised anything it will not assume he has but it doesn’t matter. The reality is even though Gus has not helped Bo this season with his playcalling sometimes there have been numerous plays there to be made that Bo has not made as a quarterback. As much as our OL struggles in run blocking they’ve been pretty good it pass blocking so the struggles we’ve had in the passing game have been on the yard and distance that Bo has been put in, our general passing scheme, and Bo’s performance in those situations. Like the rest of us Joey has seen Bo Struggle even when he is getting help from the rest of the offense. Their offense is clearly not working under Bo right now so the logical thing to do would be make an adjustment and see if somebody else can get things going. It’s very possible that with Joey‘s physical running style and the dimension it brings if he was playing maybe we would have shorter second and third down situations for quarterbacks to have easier plays to make. Also maybe Joey would’ve made the plays when they were there unlike Bo recently for the most part. The fact that he really never got an opportunity to do that is what’s frustrating to see and probably disheartening for him and why he has left. Furthermore as long as Gus is here I don’t know that Bo will develop much at all at his time at Auburn. Right now it looks like he has regressed. After all no high school signed QB has developed in Gus‘s head coaching tenure. For Gus’s style to work he needs a dominant run blocking OL which we don’t have and likely will not have for at least the next two years. As @bigbird has pointed out many times this team had the make up of playing better to be a pass first team to set up the run instead of Gus’s run, play action pass philosophy. I am now fully resigned to the fact that Gus will never truly change and adapt his beliefs and philosophy so I hope the people who are making the decisions will be ready to move on from him if we lose to Georgia and Bama later this year to go 8-4 yet again.

giphy-5.gif

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Trading an Ole Miss loss for the health of the program’s future wouldn’t be horrendous. It’s a Thanos type decision. Hell we lost to Moo State last year and they ran two plays.

We are going to hang 50 on ole miss. These are the type of games that lead to severe case of Gus stockholm syndrome for a lot of our fan base. All it takes is a convincing win vs a terrible team to reel them back in..............

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

giphy-5.gif

I am a simple man. I see a GIF of the GOAT Dave Chappelle and I hit the like button! lol

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

We are going to hang 50 on ole miss. These are the type of games that lead to severe case of Gus stockholm syndrome for a lot of our fan base. All it takes is a convincing win vs a terrible team to reel them back in..............

If anyone is reeled back in by a win over a bad Ole Miss team I will be judging those people, their character, their families, and their morals.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

If anyone is reeled back in by a win over a bad Ole Miss team I will be judging those people, their character, their families, and their morals.

Happens every year in Gus Malzahns Auburn sadly fam.........

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

From my research, in his 4th year as head coach, Kirby Smart has not had one quarterback stick with the team for more than one year aside from Fromm.  This includes two 5 *'s and two 4*'s.  Nick Saban in his 13th year has had 12 quarterbacks transfer.  Why even mention this?  Transfers happen and will happen even further as we move forward in the transfer portal days.  We all assumed Gatewood would transfer eventually.  I hate it, and I think he is uber talented, but not surprised.

If Gatewood does end up transferring I wish him nothing but the best and will always be a fan of his.  War Eagle Joey!

I'm jumping in the middle of a thread - I had to actually WORK and couldn't keep up in here.

Can you take a minute and research a little on all of Kirby & Nick's transfer QB's, did any of them leave mid-season and did any of them have a QB in front of them that was producing at about the same rate and consistency that Bo Nix is currently producing?  

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yup. The bored is noticeably more optimistic after games like that. 

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

See the Purdue game last season. I had to stay away for a while the kool aid was so intense.

3 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Its 

Im here... Its just been tough so Ive been keeping quiet. Nobody can run me off, I don't scare that easy lol

Glad to see you!

Your son will carry a heavy load on this team to make up for Joey's charisma, leadership and good attitude in that locker room.  Tell him every Auburn fan appreciates he and Joey for what they brought to this program.  We fans/alum/posters may not be in agreement with the current state of this coaching staff or the direction is has followed the last 5 yrs, but there isn't one person out here that doesn't support and cheer for the players.

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I was rooting for LSU in 2016.  A loss there was what was best for the program.

29 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Gatewood leaving team = bad coaching job by Malzahn? 'Kay

Do you think it's good coaching and management of the team at this time?  With Nix's current production, with 2 of our 4 toughest games down the road and with almost no backup for QB#1?

Were you ok with Gus yanking Joey off the field in the LSU game?  Were you ok with Gus' choice to put an injured RB in for PT but not a healthy Gatewood?  

Has Gus done a "good" coaching job, a "great coaching job, and "elite" coaching job in you opinion?

Archived