Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Judging by reports from fall practice he was not even the third best QB on the team then. It was the walk on.

Hope that’s not according to Gus he knows nothing. I believe in Cord dang it.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, alexava said:

I have no doubt Bo was better in practice. I had a source who talks to a current player. I know Bo digested the playbook better. Bo got the other players lined up right and did the little things better per my source. Joey throws just as good and runs better. Also per my source. I just thought back to Campbell and Cobb when petrino liked Cobb because the same reasons but when Jason got chances in games he played better. I was hoping Joey would get a few chances and pull off the same things Campbell did. I fully expected him to leave but not till the end of season. Unless he had emotions he could not overcome. I wish it could have been handled differently. Very draining feeling right now. 

I can definitely believe this given how Gus likes his practices. Scripted & planned, like a pop-quiz. This would sorta give credence to one reason he probably says "Bo gives us the best chance to win." But his ability to evaluate a player's electricity and what they bring to games as well as forcing defenses to adjust to their skills is sorely lacking then. Playmakers make plays and we've seen Joey make plays in limited action with little prep and warm up. That's what counts. 

Nonetheless, when Auburn won its games this year, they won IN SPITE OF BO. I never really saw where he elevated the level of those around him. If your QB isn't a net positive and is instead adding 0 or subtracting to your game plan, then they become a liability. That's what Bo became. (Due in part to his youth and probably lack of coaching support.)

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

And here's one more thought about the politics. 

There are 100 other things that Gus is constantly maligned for - not utilizing other talent on the team, not adjusting his offense, play calling - whatever it may be. It's almost always chalked up to stubbornness or incompetence, but never politics. So why then would the same people single this situation out as politics? If Gus is incompetent or stubborn, then it follows that this situation is due to stubbornness or incompetence. I just don't see the political angle. 

I'm not saying it's not political - it's certainly possible, it just doesn't add up for me and no one has presented any evidence to prove it.

Finally, as someone pointed out earlier, it may be that Bo truly was the best option at QB. If not, then my vote goes for things that I filter all my other complaints about Gus through: stubbornness or incompetence, or both.

You say Gus is in a situation where he is trying to save his job... How hard is to to believe that a booster with Nix connections or attachment cut a deal with him to lobby for and protect his position as long as Nix starts. That paired with Nix possibly being better at "The Little Things" could easily make Gus believe this is the best way to save his job. We have an idea of the meddling that the PTB does and a lot of people blow the whistle on it. The man's back is against the wall so its not hard to imagine him doing whatever it takes, even if its not his norm.

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

What Joey Gatewood’s midseason departure means for Auburn at quarterback

Updated 12:51 PM;Today 11:30 AM

7-9 minutes

Auburn Football

Upon naming Bo Nix as Auburn’s starting quarterback on Aug. 20, head coach Gus Malzahn repeated multiple times during that evening’s press conference that he felt the Tigers had two quarterbacks they could win games with.

With one month remaining in the regular season, and with two of the toughest games remaining on the schedule, Auburn is left with just one. Redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood, Nix’s backup for the first eight games of the season, left the team Wednesday and will tran sfer, according to sources.

Malzahn confirmed Gatewood’s departure on Wednesday afternoon during his weekly appearance on the SEC coaches teleconference.

“I really appreciated Joey,” Malzahn said. “When you think about it, when he didn’t win the job earlier, he chose to stick around. Most quarterbacks this day and time wouldn’t do that. He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that.

“He’s a fine young man, and I really appreciate everything Joey has done for our program. Everyone in our program will be rooting for him moving forward.”

The news of Gatewood’s departure leaves Auburn in a precarious situation at quarterback entering the final four games of the regular season. Nix’s starting job didn’t appear to be in jeopardy to begin with, as Malzahn said this week there were no considerations of making a change at quarterback following Nix’s recent road struggles against Florida and LSU — but the true freshman’s grip on the role has, by default, been strengthened. He is not only Auburn’s quarterback of the present, but Malzahn firmly believes the former five-star prospect will end up being a great quarterback for the Tigers when all is said and done.

While it was always a real possibility that one of Gatewood or Nix — whoever lost out on the offseason quarterback competition — would not finish their career at Auburn, Gatewood’s departure and the timing of it is troubling for Malzahn and Auburn.

Gatewood is now the seventh quarterback signee under Malzahn to either transfer, leave the team for other reasons or change position. He joins Sean White (dismissed), Jason Smith (moved to receiver, then to defensive back), Woody Barrett (transferred), John Franklin III (switched positions twice and then transferred), Tyler Queen (transferred) and Malik Willis (transferred). Only three quarterback signees under Malzahn have finished their college careers playing quarterback at Auburn: Nick Marshall (2013-14), Jeremy Johnson (2013-2016) and Jarrett Stidham (2017-18), with two of those being junior college transfers and the other, Johnson, finishing his career as a backup after being benched in 2015.

The timing of Gatewood’s departure — four games remaining for 11th-ranked Auburn, including meetings with No. 8 Georgia and No. 2 Alabama — is also less than ideal, as it leaves Auburn with just two scholarship quarterbacks for the remainder of the season: Nix and redshirt freshman Cord Sandberg, who has appeared in just one game this season with limited action and has attempted just one pass in his Auburn career. Sandberg will be thrust into the role of backup quarterback, though his experience at the position has been limited; he was a minor league baseball player for several years before enrolling at Auburn last year, and he has worked primarily with the third-team offense since the spring.

Gatewood’s decision to transfer means Nix’s importance has also been increased. Auburn can ill afford the true freshman to sustain an injury now, and he’ll also have to step up his play these last four games after his recent struggles. Nix completed just 41.9 percent of his passes, with four interceptions and just two touchdowns, in Auburn’s losses to LSU and Florida. His numbers have also been generally poor away from Jordan-Hare Stadium, as he has completed 48.5 percent of his passes for 755 yards, eight touchdowns and six interceptions.

Nix’s numbers have been better at home, where Auburn will play its final four games of the regular season. He has completed 63.5 percent of his passes for 703 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. His yards per attempt are also considerably higher at home (9.5) versus on the road (5.8).

Gatewood appeared in seven of Auburn’s eight games this season, though outside of blowouts his role was limited largely to short-yardage and red-zone situations. He completed five of his seven pass attempts for 54 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and he also rushed for 148 yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries. He did not play in Auburn’s loss to Florida, and he was at quarterback for just one play during last weekend’s loss to LSU, when he entered the game two plays after D.J. Williams’ 70-yard run to open the second half and rushed for 2 yards on second-and-goal before Nix checked back in.

While Gatewood’s role fluctuated from game to game, Malzahn repeatedly said the 6-foot-5, 233-pounder — who he previously compared, physically, to Cam Newton — gave Auburn’s offense some flexibility. That flexibility is now gone, and Auburn will have to turn to other options in those situations that previously called for Gatewood.

That includes some Wildcat packages, where redshirt sophomore running back Boobee Whitlow — who has been the primary Wildcat quarterback the last two seasons — will likely see more action once he fully recovers from the arthroscopic knee procedure he underwent three weeks ago. Malzahn said Tuesday that Whitlow still isn’t 100 percent and will be limited this weekend against Ole Miss. Other possible Wildcat options for Auburn in freshman running back D.J. Williams, who played quarterback his senior year of high school, and redshirt freshman running back Harold Joiner.

Gatewood’s departure will also have an impact on Auburn’s quarterback recruiting. The Tigers typically take at least one quarterback per class, but with the limited depth behind Nix now, don’t be shocked to see Malzahn try to add two to the 2020 class.

Auburn currently holds one commitment at the position this cycle in the form of three-star dual-threat quarterback Chayil Garnett, the No. 21 player at his position and No. 570 overall prospect in the nation, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. The Tigers also have a commitment from four-star 2021 quarterback Aaron McLaughlin, the No. 11 pro-style option in the class. Adding a second quarterback to this class, whether an incoming freshman, through the transfer portal or by way of the grad transfer market, will be essential for Auburn this cycle to fortify depth at the position.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Bottom of the barrel when you lose 1 QB and you're having to consider using the WC as a QB option. Is this really the level Auburn football has stooped to? Especially given ALL the weapons we have on offense. Really? 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Then I would question Why the hell do you not have a serviceable back up for a true freshman only hitting 53 percent of his passes? JG has been in your system for a year already . Why isn’t he at the very least serviceable . That’s all we need is a serviceable QB and we would arguably be undefeated .

No wonder he was chasing yet another GT which brings me to my next point. If he can’t develop a suitable QB he needs to get out of his own way and hire an appropriate QB coach, otherwise he needs to be gone 

Gatewood probably was serviceable at least in comparison to past AU QBs. Even SW would make us undefeated with this defense and yet I'm supposed to believe Gatewood isn't even as good as SW? Man that's an indictment right there. I hope people do remember this gem when they think that AU's coaches and Gus actually know personnel management:

REDSHIRT DEBACLE 

7 hours ago, Barnacle said:

No, but that's why I think it's incompetence and not politics. Politics suggests that he knows he isn't playing the best players, or knows he isn't calling the best plays and so does these things for some hidden, ulterior motive, as opposed to doing it because he actually believes he is being pragmatic - he actually believes he's putting his team in the best position to win.

Incompetence suggests that he doesn't understand what's best to do, and therefore doesn't. That seems infinitely more likely than politics, especially for a guy who knows he HAS to win to keep his job.

Protecting his job and hedging his bets can easily be an ulterior motive and when done well can give him plausible deniability because he can obfuscate and cover up the truth with lies and shady decisions. He's already lied multiple times, talking about all the plans and effort they'd make to get Gatewood the ball. The 1A. and 1B. scenarios, the almost pathological attempts to keep Gatewood from having ANY meaningful PT even in situations that warrant it (see Boobee Cat.) etc.

That seems pretty sketchy and certainly doesn't sound like a coach trying to WIN or call the best plays.

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

I mean holy s*** what could Joey have possibly done wrong? An interception? Oh no, not like we haven't had some of those. 90% of our series were total wastes or 3 and outs. Gatewood could have managed a 3 and out with the best of them. Mind boggling. Thank the lord most of these people aren't coaches at any level.

Its not about what he could do wrong but what he could do right and what that could do to Malzahn's "plans". Also people have confirmation bias and a lot of dissonance about the matter. CFB is riddled with politics, just 90% of it goes hidden because CFB fans aren't looking for conspiracies, they just want exciting games. Sadly we've turned to rooting out conspiracies because we haven't had good offensive football where we look like we can score points without the opposing defense helping us do so in so long that now we're looking for the conspiracy.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

See that's the problem. We want to gloss over that.....we want to say well if he was the starter he's the best.... But how can you make that make sense when the EXACT same coach just opened up the center position......yet again 😒

Nail... Meet Hammer.

7 hours ago, aublue88 said:

I am having a hard time with the question that I keep seeing on here, what if Bo Nix is the better quarterback?  I don't see the relevance to whether Joey needed to come into the game or not.  Nix failed in his job as quarterback on many occasions during the LSU game and the Florida game.  He was rattled, could not hit the side of a barn with a pass and generally just shut down.  If we are playing to win for the entire team then as a coach, you allow that player to sit and gather his thoughts, talent ,whatever and you also allow the OTHER AUBURN QUARTERBACK a chance to help his team, otherwise, why have a back up at all?

Joey Gatewood could not have hurt us in those situations, they were already at a dismal point.   No other player on the entire roster including the kicker would be given such a very long leash.  Nix might be the the "better" quarterback in practice under non pressure situations but that doesn't always correlate to play on the field.  I hate we lost a possibly great Auburn player and man but I applaud him for thinking of his future and his own possibilities.  I will certainly root for him.  I hope we win every game we play and I hate that the other players that play their heart out each and every game  have to contend with this right now but I think our problems will be partially solved when a change occurs at the top.

In any other situation a seasoned coach would pull the starting QB if not just to let them get their head back in the game and protect them from injuries. That's not the case here and that's why people are saying that this seems conspiratorial. I've never seen a QB have so much freedom to make mistakes. Even in the NFL were these QBs have millions invested into them. 

2 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

I am not bashing Bo, but in three big games this year, OR, FL, & LSU, he has shown he was not ready to be QB1. He should have been pulled at halftime at FL, maybe even Oregon since he went 13-31 in passing completion in that game. Then we let him have a few good games against sub-par defenses and everybody thinks all is well- until we faced LSU and we see, once again, how he performs against top-tier defenses. Joey is watching all this on the sidelines. He knows Bo is struggling and he deserves a chance, doesn´t the whole team know it as well? 

Would Joey have done any better than Bo? We´ll never know now, will we?

That's it. That's the plan.

I don’t really think Gus is or was trying to “save his job “ in some manipulative way. I mean hell he gets about 30 million to get fired? I think he picks a qb and sticks with him until it’s just painfully clear he has to change. His idea of painfully clear is not the same same as ours. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t really think Gus is or was trying to “save his job “ in some manipulative way. I think he picks a qb and sticks with him until it’s just painfully clear he has to change. His idea of painfully clear is not the same same as ours. 

Gus' inability to see what is painfully clear to so many is what should cost him his job.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Judging by reports from fall practice he was not even the third best QB on the team then. It was the walk on.

well,  Gus did offer him when he was in HS  so this is totally believable 

1 minute ago, Dan-0 said:

Gus' inability to see what is painfully clear to so many is what should cost him his job.

What is not painful is the millions he gets when he loses his job. 

This board is usually an outlier, being more negative than positive.

But I think you guys might be right, Gus might be the first ever Auburn coach to lose his job with a +.500 season. (still don't think it's this season....2020 is his death knell)

@nixtosanders94 this is how it is like every day in here with the Gus cult vs the people who are ready for a change!!!! Lol 

23 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I can definitely believe this given how Gus likes his practices. Scripted & planned, like a pop-quiz. This would sorta give credence to one reason he probably says "Bo gives us the best chance to win." But his ability to evaluate a player's electricity and what they bring to games as well as forcing defenses to adjust to their skills is sorely lacking then. Playmakers make plays and we've seen Joey make plays in limited action with little prep and warm up. That's what counts. 

Nonetheless, when Auburn won its games this year, they won IN SPITE OF BO. I never really saw where he elevated the level of those around him. If your QB isn't a net positive and is instead adding 0 or subtracting to your game plan, then they become a liability. That's what Bo became. (Due in part to his youth and probably lack of coaching support.)

You say Gus is in a situation where he is trying to save his job... How hard is to to believe that a booster with Nix connections or attachment cut a deal with him to lobby for and protect his position as long as Nix starts. That paired with Nix possibly being better at "The Little Things" could easily make Gus believe this is the best way to save his job. We have an idea of the meddling that the PTB does and a lot of people blow the whistle on it. The man's back is against the wall so its not hard to imagine him doing whatever it takes, even if its not his norm.

Bottom of the barrel when you lose 1 QB and you're having to consider using the WC as a QB option. Is this really the level Auburn football has stooped to? Especially given ALL the weapons we have on offense. Really? 

Gatewood probably was serviceable at least in comparison to past AU QBs. Even SW would make us undefeated with this defense and yet I'm supposed to believe Gatewood isn't even as good as SW? Man that's an indictment right there. I hope people do remember this gem when they think that AU's coaches and Gus actually know personnel management:

REDSHIRT DEBACLE 

Protecting his job and hedging his bets can easily be an ulterior motive and when done well can give him plausible deniability because he can obfuscate and cover up the truth with lies and shady decisions. He's already lied multiple times, talking about all the plans and effort they'd make to get Gatewood the ball. The 1A. and 1B. scenarios, the almost pathological attempts to keep Gatewood from having ANY meaningful PT even in situations that warrant it (see Boobee Cat.) etc.

That seems pretty sketchy and certainly doesn't sound like a coach trying to WIN or call the best plays.

Its not about what he could do wrong but what he could do right and what that could do to Malzahn's "plans". Also people have confirmation bias and a lot of dissonance about the matter. CFB is riddled with politics, just 90% of it goes hidden because CFB fans aren't looking for conspiracies, they just want exciting games. Sadly we've turned to rooting out conspiracies because we haven't had good offensive football where we look like we can score points without the opposing defense helping us do so in so long that now we're looking for the conspiracy.

Nail... Meet Hammer.

In any other situation a seasoned coach would pull the starting QB if not just to let them get their head back in the game and protect them from injuries. That's not the case here and that's why people are saying that this seems conspiratorial. I've never seen a QB have so much freedom to make mistakes. Even in the NFL were these QBs have millions invested into them. 

Man I just love reading your stuff. 

26 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

REDSHIRT DEBACLE 

Nail... Meet Hammer.

Good Lord man, save some points for the rest of us to make :lol: 

not that it'll matter though 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

@nixtosanders94 this is how it is like every day in here with the Gus cult vs the people who are ready for a change!!!! Lol 

No punching straight hugs...wow

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

No punching straight hugs...wow

It didn't show it in this video but Simmons had KAT in a head lock for awhile lol. I was highly highly entertained!

18 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Truthfully, this is one of the more outlandish suggestions I've come across. 

It's one thing to question Gus' coaching, it's another thing entirely to question his ethics. You're certainly free to do so, but absent any proof to support those claims, it's where I draw the line. Not to mention, your theory almost certainly implicates the Nix family. 

What's also interesting to me is how the Malzahns - and the the Nix's for that matter - have general reputations for being "good" and ethical people, and that reputation has consistently been defended, even among Gus' most ardent critics. 

22 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Again, why are these decisions all the sudden being scrutinized in a way that suggests some "shady" behind the scenes business that Gus is participating in behind closed doors? Why are all of his other mind numbing decisions evidence of ineptitude, but this one decision is evidence of lies, deceit, and corruption? 

I love your football analysis - I learn more from you than just about any other poster on this site, but I can't get on board with all these conspiracy theories. If the evidence shows up, I'll gladly change my tune. And, as I've often said, I could be wrong - I just don't know.

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Truthfully, this is one of the more outlandish suggestions I've come across. 

It's one thing to question Gus' coaching, it's another thing entirely to question his ethics. You're certainly free to do so, but absent any proof to support those claims, it's where I draw the line. Not to mention, your theory almost certainly implicates the Nix family. 

What's also interesting to me is how the Malzahns - and the the Nix's for that matter - have general reputations for being "good" and ethical people, and that reputation has consistently been defended, even among Gus' most ardent critics. 

Again, why are these decisions all the sudden being scrutinized in a way that suggests some "shady" behind the scenes business that Gus is participating in behind closed doors? Why are all of his other mind numbing decisions evidence of ineptitude, but this one decision is evidence of lies, deceit, and corruption? 

I love your football analysis - I learn more from you than just about any other poster on this site, but I can't get on board with all these conspiracy theories. If the evidence shows up, I'll gladly change my tune. And, as I've often said, I could be wrong - I just don't know.

I'd have to believe that for every smokey-backroom fat-cat lobbying for Nix, there's three lobbying for a win at all cost.

7 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Some people have just taken the criticism of Mr. Wizard/offense/QB play as a shot at Bo. Its not shots at Bo, but at his goofy fraud of a coach. Bo Nix is a kid playing a mans game, that he was not ,from a maturity factor, ready to play. I worry about the anti-guru ruining him with an offensive setup that does not give him something that will allow him to get in a rhythm and get comfortable. This whoopie-doopie crap is all GM knows,folks. His insecurity shows itself if you'll watch him close. It isn't going to get better 

There have been many harping on BO....I agree with what you said in regards to most....but Bo has caught a lot of flack, too. All the "politics" stuff is an implication that Bo didn't earn the job on the practice field and in Camp and that is a shot at Bo anyway you slice it. 

3 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Could he change his mind and not transfer at the end of the semester? 

@AidiAU If he hasn't stopped taking classes this semester & Gus wants him back then yes.

Malik Willis transferred. Now Joey Gatewood is transferring. Is it just me or would anybody starting to think our two best options at QB have left or are leaving? The more I watch Bo in action the more I think letting Malik go may have been a mistake.

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'd have to agree.

Perhaps. Again, we're all probably just high on emotion and letting our imaginations run wild. But I know many of us would probably rather it be something shady rather than the fact that our 49Mil dollar coach was just THAT incompetent....

I'm rationalizing it. I truly am.

3 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Malik Willis transferred. Now Joey Gatewood is transferring. Is it just me or would anybody starting to think our two best options at QB have left or are leaving? The more I watch Bo in action the more I think letting Malik go may have been a mistake.

Our best option at QB is any QB Gus ain't coaching. We need to let him go before he ruins Bo's potential development permanently.

Just now, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Perhaps. Again, we're all probably just high on emotion and letting our imaginations run wild. But I know many of us would probably rather it be something shady rather than the fact that our 49Mil dollar coach was just THAT incompetent....

I'm rationalizing it. I truly am.

Man, I hear you. I just keep reminding myself that this is the same man who devised the Cox-Cat, and therefore I don't put anything past him. 

It's a shame he didn't utilize Joey. It's a shame he hasn't been able to better utilize Bo. It's just a shame. 

9 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Well...I get all the second guessing, but I can't get behind that. I never thought Malik had it in him to be an SEC caliber QB. As for the rest....Yes

Archived