Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

Also,  if ANYONE post an article saying X player is "all in"  they need to get their ass kicked.    Those article are equivilent to the AD giving a public vote of confidence in the football coach...   Its Ra Ra  BS,  it means nothing  

You can be "all in" on Friday and get pulled back on national TV with an injured player getting more "packages" than you on Saturday and hear/read on Sunday that it never crossed your coach's mind to essentially play you and sure enough add it up and change your mind Monday. That can definitely happen.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to figure Joey, by leaving the team, feels that if he just holds where he's at progression-wise it's a better option than being ruined by Gus if only at practice.

Makes you wonder...

7 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

That was kind of embarrassing. I'll never forget that clown show. The Whirlybird is also an alltime memory. 🤣

sigh...

Image result for auburn whirlybird gif

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You have to figure Joey, by leaving the team, feels that if he just holds where he's at progression-wise it's a better option than being ruined by Gus if only at practice.

Makes you wonder...

Yeah, he's already got his own QB trainer he works with. 

3 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

You can be "all in" on Friday and get pulled back on national TV with an injured player getting more "packages" than you on Saturday and hear/read on Sunday that it never crossed your coach's mind to essentially play you and sure enough add it up and change your mind Monday. That can definitely happen.

Now that i see what was said by Gus i put 100% of this on him.     Either way the all in articles are garbage. 

30 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Zeek answers that here...

Right, I understand Joey was likely disappointed, but are there bigger problems going on in the locker room than we know about? How doesn't his teammates talk him into staying? Do the players not trust CGM? It sounds like they didn't go to bat for Gus very well, or enthusiastically. Joey was very well-liked in the locker room. Him leaving is more than just wanting to be a starting QB.

GUS is the reason the Auburn Family is splitting into pieces. I feel bad for Bo Nix. He's just a kid trying to live out a dream. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

LOL at everyone forming their opinion of Joey based off Gus's comments. That can't seriously be what you think. 

And yes, Joey Gatewood who barely got beat out by Bo Nix should have been given a chance when Bo Nix proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he could not play winning football in Gainesville and Baton Rouge. Not sure what is so contentious about that. 

The question now is who else do we lose at season's end imo. Pretty shortsighted to think there will not be more. Just looking at the body language of a couple others all season long, I am suspicious of a few.

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

GUS is the reason the Auburn Family is splitting into pieces. I feel bad for Bo Nix. He's just a kid trying to live out a dream. 

You know I really agree. Bo hasn't played great and Joey should have been put in...but Bo is just not ready and that isn't his fault. Many Tru Freshmen, even great ones...are not. It is what it is. Bo and Joey are both in bad situations. 

To me, this isn't a Bo or Joey situation. Neither are necessarily being given the best opportunity to succeed. This is a HC failing. Period. This isn't the first and it won't be the last time this type of situation will present while Gus is running the program.

I hate that Joey felt like he had no other recourse and I hate that Bo is being drawn in as part of the problem. Don't get me wrong, Bo hasn't played well, especially in the big games, but it's not his fault that Joey wasn't given the proper coaching or opportunity.

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

You know I really agree. Bo hasn't played great and Joey should have been put in...but Bo is just not ready and that isn't his fault. Many Tru Freshmen, even great ones...are not. It is what it is. Bo and Joey are both in bad situations. 

Some people have just taken the criticism of Mr. Wizard/offense/QB play as a shot at Bo. Its not shots at Bo, but at his goofy fraud of a coach. Bo Nix is a kid playing a mans game, that he was not ,from a maturity factor, ready to play. I worry about the anti-guru ruining him with an offensive setup that does not give him something that will allow him to get in a rhythm and get comfortable. This whoopie-doopie crap is all GM knows,folks. His insecurity shows itself if you'll watch him close. It isn't going to get better 

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

Some people have just taken the criticism of Mr. Wizard/offense/QB play as a shot at Bo. Its not shots at Bo, but at his goofy fraud of a coach. Bo Nix is a kid playing a mans game, that he was not ,from a maturity factor, ready to play. I worry about the anti-guru ruining him with an offensive setup that does give him something that will allow him to get in a rhythm and get comfortable. This whoopie-doopie crap is all GM knows,folks. His insecurity shows itself if you'll watch him close. It isn't going to get better 

Please speak more plainly, so I can understand you. 🤣👍

• ellitor changed the title to Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)
1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

Hard for me to believe seeing as how Gus is still trying to recover from last season. I would think he would do whatever it takes to win. I do believe Gus is thinking if he can play and make Nix successful then it'll buy him time from getting fired. He's trying to play to the Nix-AU name. Just my opinion. 

Win how many? Do you wonder what kinds of parameters, if any, have been shared with him in order to adjust his seat temperature, either direction? For me, I could never be satisfied with doing "just enough to get by." For others, if a game was initially predicted to be unwinnable, then a loss should be okay, understood, expected, and lauded that it wasn't by more.

I KNOW there are a lot of moving parts with this situation. I just wish JG had been given the opportunity to show his moves more. 😭

I've been on the Gus bus, but it's time.  If he continues to lay eggs in our biggest games while the defense is championship level, and he continues to mismanage talent...move along.  If he wins out, sure, give him another year, but he is too consistently inconsistent.  Bring on stoops if he can keep Steele.  If he loses to thuga or the updykes, let's make a change.

Imagine that. The coach who played six ******* quarterbacks vs Clemson a few years ago won't even pull a QB playing like absolute trash to put in a backup who's in the mold of the only type of offense he's won with before. He jerked Joey around to the point to where he's leaving mid-season.

I'm so ******* done. Not that I wasn't before but at this point my number one priority for the AU program is to get Gus the hell out of here. I don't care if it takes an Ole Miss loss to do it. I know I will catch big time flack for this but the long term health of the program depends on it.

And for those slandering Jeremy Johnson for weighing in, his quarterbacking skill and how his tenure ended up does not discount his opinion. He has seen this program from the inside and knows what's going on. This is no different than Emory Blake saying similar things except Blake was more effective on the field. They've both been in the fire and been inside the facility's walls and know how CGM is first hand.

I think Gus is about to lose the team. And quite frankly, he doesn't deserve to keep the team.

If I were an offensive player on Auburn’s team and have been promised that I will have certain *packages* I will be running, I think I would enter the portal as quick as possible.  Because I know I will never get meaningful playing time.

To those who thing Gus knows how to evaluate a QB and who should start at QB; look no further than the 2016 season when he named SW starter a week before the Clemson game and proceeded to play all three QBs and two different wildcat QBs. Gus had all spring and fall to determine if JFIII was better than SW and still couldn’t make up his mind.  It wasn’t until the third game he settled on SW and CRL probably had more say than Dilly had this year.

The man is an enigma.

21 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Hey, that play got two yards. LOL.

That's what I thought! 

More whirlybird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for mildly impressed gif

There is zero upside to Gatewood leaving mid-season. By leaving, I assume it means he is giving up his scholarship, his stipend, and his access to athletic department facilities. The only reason I could see for quitting mid-season is if he needed to focus on academics to ensure he can transfer at the end of the semester. Otherwise he is giving up strength and conditioning coaching, position coaching, practice, film study, and a sports dietician. And possible playing time against Ole Miss and Samford.

He is a second-stringer, not a 3rd or 4th stringer, not a walk-on, not a scout-team guy. He practices every day with the twos. He gets considerable direct coaching. He is the film room with the other QBs every time.

We have become obsessed with pure talent, and high school star ratings. Coaching is overrated. The star talent just need to playing time to prove to the world they are a world beater. Where coaches don't now what they are talking about, they just need to put the most talented on the field and let them win the game. We believe every sport is now basketball, a "strong link" sport, where raw talent alone leads you to the title.

Guess what? All of that is probably true in high school football, where the talent differential between a handful of four or five stars and hundreds of zero stars is game changing.

Gatewood is currently in his redshirt freshman year. His best path may be to go JUCO for his sophomore year and restart his recruitment. Alternatively, he could enter the portal, finish out the year, and transfer at the end of the semester. The only thing he would need to miss is the bowl game. He would have to sit out his sophomore year, but would get two spring practices, two fall practices, and an entire season of coaching.

Archived