Dream Car--Then and Now! ('72 Catalyzed...)

ToraGirl

Ah'ite....'72 had to go talking about cars on "Post a Picture."  (If you haven't found that thread yet, you need to.)  I am the one who expected a car for her 16th birthday yet had no clue how to drive...yet.  I GOT ONE!  It looked about like this and I was pleased as could be.

Image result for matchbox vintage vw bug metallic green

But if I had my dream in 1983 when I was finally good to go, it would be this...

Image result for red karmann ghia

And now, I am living the high life...actually driving my dream car.  2013 used, scratched up a bit, zips me all over in its 6-speed stick shift self...and...well...you know it's me.  #definitelypersonalized #contentment #don'tneednofancycar #gottabegreen

20190720_162610.jpg

20190720_162618.jpg

20190720_162632.jpg

What were your dream cars...then and now?  

Thanks, Tora!  Nice to know I can be the catalyst for cool threads!

As I stated the ultimate vehicle, from childhood, is The Mystery Machine (in the post a photo thread you mentioned)...

We drive an old high-mileage Rav 4 & low mileage Scion TC.  Nothing special.

My ultimate driving machine, however?

nFqLSwB.jpg

vvvv Mom & Dad drive one of these... vvvv (Not theirs, btw. Just exactly the same.  I don't have a picture of their actual Vette.)

Iw0jc.jpg

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

image.jpeg 

Here you go @ToraGirl

Wow!! Convertible, too!! Fun to zip around in, I know!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Nice fridge.

NICER RIDE!

Yes, glad you noticed.  And some people question my fandom 

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As I stated the ultimate vehicle, from childhood, is The Mystery Machine (in the post a photo thread you mentioned)...

nFqLSwB.jpg

vvvv Mom & Dad drive one of these... vvvv

Iw0jc.jpg

72...I cried the day I lost my stick 2003 (?) white RAV4, the original sticker collection,...it dropped at just over 210,000, with more cost to fix than its worth, but I know it could have gone for many more miles. I LOVE those cars. Kia was a good consolation prize....

17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

nFqLSwB.jpg

vvvv Mom & Dad drive one of these... vvvv (Not theirs, btw. Just exactly the same.  I don't have a picture of their actual Vette.)

Iw0jc.jpg

Man my Xgirlfriend in HS drove an 84 Corvette.........personalized tag read BRAT 1...........when I would drive us to the movies it was a pain at 6'5 once I finally got settled felt like I was laying in a casket from the waist down........soon as I stomped the pedal with my size 15 I quickly forgot about the whole casket thing.......major downside it was red....yuk😂

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

72...I cried the day I lost my stick 2003 (?) white RAV4, the original sticker collection,...it dropped at just over 210,000, with more cost to fix than its worth, but I know it could have gone for many more miles. I LOVE those cars. Kia was a good consolation prize....

I'm not a Mopar guy at all, but my "loss" was my British Racing Green Dodge Magnum SS/T Indy Pace Truck that was so ragged out I had to trade it in.  Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not a Mopar guy at all, but my "loss" was my British Racing Green Dodge Magnum SS/T Indy Pace Truck that was so ragged out I had to trade it in.  Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!

I had a ‘68 383 Road Runner when I was at Auburn.  With Glass packs and it was loud.  My girlfriend (future wife) lived on the 5th floor of her dorm and her girlfriends would tell her when I was getting near.  

When I was 20 my friend's dad had a white 442 Hurst Olds that I fell in love with. I always wanted one but don't really care for white, just loved his car. My dream car now is the Gladiator. I actually had an 84 Jeep Scrambler so it's reminiscent for me. I'm a truck guy to these days and I drive a (Packers) green Tundra which I love. I drove across 3 states to buy it just because I had to have the green one. 

Screenshot_20191109-214651~2.png

Screenshot_20191109-213341~2.png

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

nFqLSwB.jpg

Iw0jc.jpg

The Scion TC is a great car. My wife had an 07 when we met. Her son has it now out in LA. The thing won't die. Looks good too. 

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The Scion TC is a great car. My wife had an 07 when we met. Her son has it now out in LA. The thing won't die. Looks good too. 

Yeah, I actually like mine....just more of a truck guy.

Got mine brand new in '09 (2010 model), fully loaded with spoiler, fog lamps, etc. Needs a paint freshening (or repaint) due to FL sun but only 45K miles.  Give me an offer, LOL. 😎

It actually IS a nice driving car with a pretty killer sound system.  I just barely drive anymore with my neuropathy.... 😪

Cant post a pic but my dream car as a kid was a 1966 Chevy Chevelle SS............sadly not so sadly my first car was a 72 Buick Skylark with 18,000 original miles.......put some money into it and made it look tough.......it had a powerful 350 and left a heck of a burnout mark on the pavement.

Wasnt till I was much older that I realized what I had and wish I still had.......very few on the road fixed up at the time so when we hung out on Market St. strip felt I had an original.

8 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Cant post a pic but my dream car as a kid was a 1966 Chevy Chevelle SS............sadly not so sadly my first car was a 72 Buick Skylark with 18,000 original miles.......put some money into it and made it look tough.......it had a powerful 350 and left a heck of a burnout mark on the pavement.

Wasnt till I was much older that I realized what I had and wish I still had.......very few on the road fixed up at the time so when we hung out on Market St. strip felt I had an original.

Buick Skylark? Did yours come in Metallic Mint Green with Posi-traction?

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Buick Skylark? Did yours come in Metallic Mint Green with Posi-traction?

giphy.gif

Yes Skylark also made an appearance in Varsity Blues❤❤

'69 Camaro, if we're talking about a feasible midlife crisis purchase

Image result for 69 camaro

Money no object, daydream, lottery winner stuff, we're going European and six figures. Probably a Ferrari but some test driving might steer me in a different direction.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, gr82be said:

When I was 20 my friend's dad had a white 442 Hurst Olds that I fell in love with. I always wanted one but don't really care for white, just loved his car. My dream car now is the Gladiator. I actually had an 84 Jeep Scrambler so it's reminiscent for me. I'm a truck guy to these days and I drive a (Packers) green Tundra which I love. I drove across 3 states to buy it just because I had to have the green one. 

Screenshot_20191109-214651~2.png

Screenshot_20191109-213341~2.png

Going to guess, is that 442 a 1977?

12 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Going to guess, is that 442 a 1977?

The picture is a '73 but my friend's dad's was a '76 I think. I'm really hated it when the big automakers went away from 2 door coupes and made everything 4 door. I never had a 442 but I did have a '73 Grand Am when I was at Auburn that was just like this one. Thats the car that I wish I had back. 

Screenshot_20191113-170057~2.png

I bought a 1967 Mustang coupe, just like this from my aunt, who was the original owner, back in the late '80s.  I worked all Summer to get the cash to pay for it. 

Loved it. Unreliable as heck, but loved it. Wish I still had it.

I am just an old married guy with children now (Can I get a Whoa Bundy!?) so I don't even have a dream car at the moment. 

I'll have to do some thinking on that.  I may have missed my mid-life crisis.

67coupe3.jpg

fl0116-229906_5@2x.jpg

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

I bought a 1967 Mustang coupe, just like this from my aunt, who was the original owner, back in the late '80s.  I worked all Summer to get the cash to pay for it. 

Loved it. Unreliable as heck, but loved it. Wish I still had it.

I am just an old married guy with children now (Can I get a Whoa Bundy!?) so I don't even have a dream car at the moment. 

I'll have to do some thinking on that.  I may have missed my mid-life crisis.

67coupe3.jpg

fl0116-229906_5@2x.jpg

I've always loved Mustangs except the Mustang II versions. Speaking of Bundy, the Duster wasn't a bad looking car either. Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth made better cars then. 

16 hours ago, gr82be said:

I've always loved Mustangs except the Mustang II versions. Speaking of Bundy, the Duster wasn't a bad looking car either. Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth made better cars then. 

Had a friend get a little over 200,000 miles out of his 318 back in the early 80's, which was alot considering a little over a 100, 000 seemed to be the norm for most 70's model vehicles.

It occurred to me while telling a story in the football thread that my first car was sold to me by my Dad.  Not sure why I didn't think if it before....

This is just a pic I googled but it's EXACTLY how my first car looked....right down to the tee-tops (remember those? LOL!).

Behold.... The Charcoal Grey 1980 Camaro Z-28 (minus the baseball sized dent in the hood, courtesy of Mr. Jackson).

camaroZ281980charcoal.jpg

Archived