How does Chad Morris affect recruiting?

triangletiger

With Dilly leaving and Chad coming in, what impact does the have on recruiting?  The 2020 class is pretty well in the bag, but does this move impact any of our current targets or commits?  I understand that Dilly played a key role in some of our currents commits (particularly some of the guys out west).  What about our current QB commits?  Will Morris want to go in a different direction?  I understand that Morris is a good recruiter and has established a good network in GA and FL from his time at Clemson.  Can he open some doors for us in Texas? 

I'm just curious what others are hearing/thinking. 

• ellitor changed the title to How does Chad Morris affect recruiting?

55 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

With Dilly leaving and Chad coming in, what impact does the have on recruiting?

The only impact he will have in this class is what 2nd QB we get. The rest of the O class is mostly set.

57 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

does this move impact any of our current targets or commits?

Unlikely

57 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

What about our current QB commits? Will Morris want to go in a different direction?

We aren't Dropping Garnett this late. Doubt Gus lets him drop 2021 McLaughlin as well.

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

Can he open some doors for us in Texas? 

Yes but AU is likely never going to do anything but occasionally cherry pick from there.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yes but AU is likely never going to do anything but occasionally cherry pick from there.

Unfortunate

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Unfortunate

Seems like it would be hard to maintain relationships with HS coaches if they only cherry pick.  Not a recruiting guru so it's more of a question than a comment.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

The only impact he will have in this class is what 2nd QB we get. The rest of the O class is mostly set.

Unlikely

We aren't Dropping Garnett this late. Doubt Gus lets him drop 2021 McLaughlin as well.

I'm good with that...bama and some other powers make their living "cherry picking" from remote locations to fill in major skill positions....while otherwise mostly sticking to their regional recruiting.    Some years ago I guess it was Trooper who got some good guys from Texas which were very helpful....and lots of talent out there.  

1 hour ago, C'viewTiger said:

Seems like it would be hard to maintain relationships with HS coaches if they only cherry pick.  Not a recruiting guru so it's more of a question than a comment.

Yes and to do that requires taking time and attention away from fertile recruiting grounds much closer in Florida and Georgia and in some cases Alabama.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm good with that...bama and some other powers make their living "cherry picking" from remote locations to fill in major skill positions....while otherwise mostly sticking to their regional recruiting.    Some years ago I guess it was Trooper who got some good guys from Texas which were very helpful....and lots of talent out there.  

How does this recruiting approach of 'cherry picking' from everywhere across the country affect their ability to get up for games against their biggest rivals?  Granted, most players will play hard for their 'brothers' on the team or their coaches or to improve their own future prospects; but a player like Bo Nix is going to view the Iron Bowl differently than a player like Tua Tagavailoa.  I wonder how much that extra motivation to win weighed in to the results of the last Iron Bowl.  We do a limited amount of cherry picking ourselves, but the core of our team has always been guys from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.  

6 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

How does this recruiting approach of 'cherry picking' from everywhere across the country affect their ability to get up for games against their biggest rivals?  Granted, most players will play hard for their 'brothers' on the team or their coaches or to improve their own future prospects; but a player like Bo Nix is going to view the Iron Bowl differently than a player like Tua Tagavailoa.  I wonder how much that extra motivation to win weighed in to the results of the last Iron Bowl.  We do a limited amount of cherry picking ourselves, but the core of our team has always been guys from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.  

A bigger issue is are the colleges doing it to the extent Bama & UGA do is are they going to piss off the high school coaches in their home state. In UGA's case this is particularly a very distinct possibility.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A bigger issue is are the colleges doing it to the extent Bama & UGA do is are they going to piss off the high school coaches in their home state. In UGA's case this is particularly a very distinct possibility.

UGA doing that has helped us too right? How many important recruits have we snatched from that state over the years, seems like quite a few. 

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Good point.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Can't believe that instate schools expect the big universities to sign kids who are less talented just because they are from local HSs.    We look at recruiting rankings and complain because other schools out recruit AU...and yet there is a given amount of top flight HS talent in Ala so if we want to be a national power we need to recruit nationally where  we can...JMO.   Auburn has always recruited out of region....just not as much and as successfully as our rival neighbors.... and I can't see that making much difference in their attitude toward AU on game day.   As noted above, players play for themselves and for their team.   Seems we need to get the best players we can...from wherever? :dunno:

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't believe that instate schools expect the big universities to sign kids who are less talented just because they are from local HSs.

64 we are mainly talking about Georgia here, 1 of the big 3 recruiting states. Their coaches believe their talent is 2nd to none, just as Florida & Texas coaches rightly believe. The state school in Georgia taking out of state kids over in state kids is pissing off some Georgia high school coaches.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

UGA doing that has helped us too right?

Mainly this year. In the past it was due to Richt couldn't lock up the state on their best talent.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

How many important recruits have we snatched from that state over the years, seems like quite a few.

Quite a bit as you said.

64 we are mainly talking about Georgia here, 1 of the big 3 recruiting states. Their coaches believe their talent is 2nd to none, just as Florida & Texas coaches rightly believe. The state school in Georgia taking out of state kids over in state kids is pissing off some Georgia high school coaches.

Guess we will see how that works out...for the HSs and for Uga.    And if that's true, its good for AU.     On the other hand, bama has done that for years...and show me an Alabama HS coach who will not prostrate himself before Nick when he shows up at their HS.     :dunno:

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

.and show me an Alabama HS coach who will not prostrate himself before Nick when he shows up at their HS.

It's definitely a minority but there are a few.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And if that's true, its good for AU.

Yup. We are outrecruiting them in their state right now for the class.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Unlikely

McLaughlin is the real deal. He reminds me of Trevor Lawrence at Clemson. Not quite as tall. I would hope we fight real hard to keep him. 

5 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

McLaughlin is the real deal. He reminds me of Trevor Lawrence at Clemson. Not quite as tall. I would hope we fight real hard to keep him. 

Guess the unknown is young Morris (QB) who de-committed from Arky.....and now has to make a new choice.....may or may not be AU...

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess the unknown is young Morris (QB) who de-committed from Arky.....and now has to make a new choice.....may or may not be AU...

Oklahoma trending.

Oklahoma trending.

Okies will not likely play a freshman...so who will be their QB next year.   Rattler was a top pick and is redshirting I think but seen some comments that he will not play QB there...ever...if what i see is true?  :dunno:   Not sure that Riley has the patience to take a freshman and bring him along for a few years.     JMO but one more year like the last three and Riley will be in the NFL anyway....so likely going after another guy like Hurts who can start immediately.  

Time will tell....but lots of teams will need new QBs next season.  

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Okies will not likely play a freshman...so who will be their QB next year.   Rattler was a top pick and is redshirting I think but seen some comments that he will not play QB there...ever...if what i see is true?  :dunno:   Not sure that Riley has the patience to take a freshman and bring him along for a few years.     JMO but one more year like the last three and Riley will be in the NFL anyway....so likely going after another guy like Hurts who can start immediately.  

Time will tell....but lots of teams will need new QBs next season.  

Rattler thinking about transferring?

9 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Rattler thinking about transferring?

No idea....just heard some Okies talking and they did not see him as their QB of the future....but who knows....the kid is a 5*….done his redshirt year now....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

No idea....just heard some Okies talking and they did not see him as their QB of the future....but who knows....the kid is a 5*….done his redshirt year now....

Unless Riley brings in that transfer QB from Houston then Rattler will be the starter

21 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Unless Riley brings in that transfer QB from Houston then Rattler will be the starter

That could be.....but I'm betting on a transfer...... and the guy from Houston might be the best available......especially for the Oklahoma style of play. 

It would serve the Houston coach right for "redshirting" him to save him for next season when it looked like 2019 was going down the drain.  I had heard he was on the edge of a grad transfer but not sure...

There’s noise out there that a couple of NFL teams may be looking at Riley as their next HC.  Not saying he would make that move; but if he did, that would throw a wrench in things.

Archived