Men vs St Louis Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Thank the Lord we played somebody as bad at the line as us!...It looked like the 6th grade gym class shooting FT's today, and we played so dumb at times....I am exhausted from this game, just tied in knots...This team can be real good, but it looked like they regressed from earlier. SLU is no slouch, maybe the best team we have played, but we ought to won a lot easier than we did....whew

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It'd look good, but there's no reason for it. If you burn the clock down, you likely kill all their opportunity to run real sets due to the lack of time. Plus, with it being so early, they were able to flip the court and get a great look in transition. The real reason he was going off is because the time was more valuable than the points 

True freshman make true freshman mistakes. We know all about that. That announcer was just uber upset about it. And Pearl will likely use it as a teaching moment. 

It was a gritty win. Refs weren’t consistent, but I do believe we got away with some too. Up 12, would’ve been nice to put the game away handily. But we’re (still)one of the last few undefeatededs mid December. 

I don’t think this is an indicator of how bad we may be, but yet another indicator of how good we can be. 

Another big stat that stands out to me is Wiley with only 1 foul. I know it's not a stat that most people look at but having your center play all of those minutes and not get in foul trouble is a very good thing. I think this is his second game in a row with only 1 foul.

Yeah the long breaks between games are keeping us rusty lol. The thing that irritated me beyond anything though was it appeared Wiley was getting hammered constantly inside. In my opinion he should have taken about 30 free throws. 

Win is a win though! 9-0!

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Another big stat that stands out to me is Wiley with only 1 foul. I know it's not a stat that most people look at but having your center play all of those minutes and not get in foul trouble is a very good thing. I think this is his second game in a row with only 1 foul.

Dunno.  Makes me think he's not playing aggressively enough...  

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Yeah, but he was playing soft on that end. Tons of 2nd chances for St. Louis.

To me it looked like he was fouled almost constantly and they let St. Louis get away with a lot.

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Dunno.  Makes me think he's not playing aggressively enough...  

4 minutes ago, AuburnMike86 said:

Yeah, but he was playing soft on that end. Tons of 2nd chances for St. Louis.

To me it looked like he was fouled almost constantly and they let St. Louis get away with a lot.

Definitely disagree with both of you. I thought he was challenging every shot and the other players should have boxed out a bit better while he was defending the shooter. Him having 3 blocks and the two big starters not getting double-digit points despite all of the rebounds tells me a lot.

AU has a lot of new pieces and returning players are assuming some new roles. I see a lot of talent and a coach who has proven he can make the pieces fit. There will be some rough patches im sure, but i feel optimistic.

Yeah, a win is a win, and Auburn is still undefeated. But that sure was ugly. 35.5% shooting. Out-rebounded by a smaller team, giving up way too many second/third opportunities to them, letting them rebound over and over on missed free throws. Whew! But a win!

A few of observations:
1. Wiley, you do not HAVE to try to score every time you touch the ball. Kick it out sometimes.
2. McCormick saved the day this game -- shot 50% and had some great assists
3. Glad to see McLemore drop those two late 3s as well as hustle inside; he played hard but didn't get a lot of good looks early
4. Another dry game for Doughty. He started the season so hot, and now so cold; And Purifoy just went invisible offensively.
5. Free throws. Ugh. But Doughty was hitting them down the stretch and Wiley found the range late. Good on them.

Very glad to get out of this one with a W. NC State is gonna be a much better team, but with the arena jumping, I'm looking for a strong game by our guys.

Our offense makes me extremely scared for the future of this season. I sure hope we can kick it into gear

9 - 0 ain’t bad!! But another game that we didn’t look great. Disappointing to get out rebounded by a smaller team. And my god the free throw shooting. The announcers were on St. Louis all night but I bet we shot worse from the line then they did. J’Von you had a 20 pt game led the team in rebounds and got 6 assists. But my man....you are shooting like 30% from the line this season. Figure that crap out

54 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Wiley has got to stop bringing the ball down low, but he was getting hammered every time he got it

Wiley could be such a dominate force on O if he would only grow fingers on those huge mass of knuckles and skin

41 minutes ago, AURex said:

Yeah, a win is a win, and Auburn is still undefeated. But that sure was ugly. 35.5% shooting. Out-rebounded by a smaller team, giving up way too many second/third opportunities to them, letting them rebound over and over on missed free throws. Whew! But a win!

A few of observations:
1. Wiley, you do not HAVE to try to score every time you touch the ball. Kick it out sometimes.
2. McCormick saved the day this game -- shot 50% and had some great assists
3. Glad to see McLemore drop those two late 3s as well as hustle inside; he played hard but didn't get a lot of good looks early
4. Another dry game for Doughty. He started the season so hot, and now so cold; And Purifoy just went invisible offensively.
5. Free throws. Ugh. But Doughty was hitting them down the stretch and Wiley found the range late. Good on them.

Very glad to get out of this one with a W. NC State is gonna be a much better team, but with the arena jumping, I'm looking for a strong game by our guys.

I remember one, 1, purifoy play the entire game. BP has got to use him for more than three point shooting

23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yet we still find ways to win. Sound pretty familiar? It should. 

It does but scraping by these teams wouldn’t fly in SEC play or the tournament.  That is what scares me.  I am enjoying the win, but hoping we can start to find an offensive identity.  It seems like we are trying to be like last year’s team, when we need to creat our own identity for 2019-20.  

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I remember one, 1, purifoy play the entire game. BP has got to use him for more than three point shooting

DP has got to drive ball more,get fouled and get in rhythm

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It does but scraping by these teams wouldn’t fly in SEC play or the tournament.  That is what scares me.  I am enjoying the win, but hoping we can start to find an offensive identity.  It seems like we are trying to be like last year’s team, when we need to creat our own identity for 2019-20.  

The teams we are beating aren’t necessarily pushovers. And we are trying to create an identity, but it’s a bit hard when our games have been spaced so far apart. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Where the hell is @GwillMac6 in times like these?

STILL CELEBRATING being 9-0 and that CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE PUT BACK DUUUUUUUUUUUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!! #BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCEEEEEEEEEEEEE

rewrew.gif

please.gif

Archived