Who else was interviewed?

cctiger

by Sullivan, Jackson, and McDonald, during the last  HC search besides Malzhan? I can't remember, but there had to be a better option other than Gus. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cctiger said:

by Sullivan, Jackson, and McDonald, during the last  HC search besides Malzhan? I can't remember, but there had to be a better option other than Gus. 

Kirby Smart. 

There was no committee to determine a HC.  It was a sham to sell the AU fanbase on JJ's pre-selected candidate. 

@ToraGirl is correct though, we could've had Smart.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There was no committee to determine a HC.  It was a sham to sell the AU fanbase on JJ's pre-selected candidate. 

Someone could tell the rest of that story better than I...something about wanting to continue to coach AL in its bowl game (Auburn PTB:  "No.") or have less interference overall...

Probably guys like Kenny Sanchez, Allan Trimble, Justin Alumbaugh, Rich Morgan, Chuck Kyle, Bruce Rollinson, Rush Propst, etc.....

😎

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

clark2.gif

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

you are correct, I was a fly on the wall in 2011, Jacob, look Gus get out of here when Gene fall flat on his face I will bring you back. It looked like it was the right choice at first but it started to fall apart soon after,  then to cover for their cover up you know tell one lie you got to tell another. Gus gets an extension to compete against the rumors that he was close to getting fired or constant hot seat talk, Jacob dug in because the plan was to run Saban out of town, fast forward to now Jacob gone beat TWO#1 and we sold the farm I'm sorry.... 

35 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Probably guys like Kenny Sanchez, Allan Trimble, Justin Alumbaugh, Rich Morgan, Chuck Kyle, Bruce Rollinson, Rush Propst, etc.....

😎

Love your new pic.  I want you on our next coach’s search.

9 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

you are correct, I was a fly on the wall in 2011, Jacob, look Gus get out of here when Gene fall flat on his face I will bring you back. It looked like it was the right choice at first but it started to fall apart soon after,  then to cover for their cover up you know tell one lie you got to tell another. Gus gets an extension to compete against the rumors that he was close to getting fired or constant hot seat talk, Jacob dug in because the plan was to run Saban out of town, fast forward to now Jacob gone beat TWO#1 and we sold the farm I'm sorry.... 

Could you possibly share more without compromising yourself?  Can you help me understand the part about running Saban out of town?  And from your vantage point now, what is your take on how much longer things will remain as they are?

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Love your new pic.  I want you on our next coaches search.

Not sure what the future holds but I'm sold on PJ!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure what the future holds but I'm sold on PJ!

You and me both.  He is the real deal.

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:
42 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

😎

Love your new pic.  I want you on our next coach’s search.

Ahhh....just caught that.  Reminds me of the lovely not-so-subliminals in "Wayne's World."  Love it!  

Here is a reprise of the one that captivated me--one graphic, two fine options--when hope was a little more real..."long ago, in a galaxy far away"...no, seriously, NOT that long ago.  Pre IB, however. #ridiculous

Image result for super mario row the boat

54 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Someone could tell the rest of that story better than I...something about wanting to continue to coach AL in its bowl game (Auburn PTB:  "No.") or have less interference overall...

Part of it was Smart wanting JJ to "open the books" re: any potential NCAA violations/investigations.  It was the right thing for a HC candidate to ask but our admin balked at it because they were afraid he'd run back to UA with the info.  News flash, folks:  AU is not led by very smart people.

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Part of it was Smart wanting JJ to "open the books" re: any potential NCAA violations/investigations.  It was the right thing for a HC candidate to ask but our admin balked at it because they were afraid he'd run back to UA with the info.  News flash, folks:  AU is not led by very smart people.

I don't know where you get any of your info from.  That is not what happened.  When Smart was interviewing at Auburn he wanted complete control without any influence from anyone and didn't want to be held to anyones standards.  Auburn was not willing to do that so Smart walked.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know where you get any of your info from.  That is not what happened.  When Smart was interviewing at Auburn he wanted complete control without any influence from anyone and didn't want to be held to anyones standards.  Auburn was not willing to do that so Smart walked.  

You mean like what Auburn has with Gus right now?  Gus is a sly one.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I get my info from many different places, you?  It is part of what happened, which is what I said in my post.   As to your last sentence, see the last sentence of mine you quoted.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:
14 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Looks like you're both right.  Here is more.  (Now, it's Scarb...but now that we are 7 years in, is he that off?)

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2017/11/its_critical_for_gus_malzahn_t.html

"Look at the facts alone, and it's tempting to say Auburn made a mistake when it chose Malzahn over Smart. The truth is more elusive.

After talking to people familiar with Auburn's 2012 coaching search then and now, it's possible to draw two conclusions. Malzahn was the preferred if not preordained choice from the start. Smart had too many demands and issues for Auburn's taste.

One example: Smart wanted full control to hire his own staff. As logical as that requirement may seem, Auburn decision-makers were used to having significant input in that regard. They had identified Malzahn as the offensive coordinator they wanted on Chizik's staff.

A person familiar with Smart's Auburn interview said he told the search committee, if hired, he would tap longtime friend Mike Bobo as offensive coordinator. The committee didn't like that idea, given Bobo's mixed results as a playcaller at Georgia.

Another 2012 concern: Auburn's inner circle feared that, if Georgia were to part company with Mark Richt in the near future, Smart would leave Auburn for Athens in a heartbeat to take his dream job as head coach at his alma mater.

Throw in Smart's demands that he get a full accounting of the NCAA's investigation of Auburn at the time and that, if hired, he be allowed to coach the Alabama defense through the BCS Championship Game - neither of which was acceptable to Auburn - and there were simply too many obstacles for both sides to overcome.

It didn't matter that former Auburn head coach and longtime influencer Pat Dye, seeing some of himself in Smart, preferred that he follow Chizik. Malzahn was destined for that position. Three years later when Richt was let go, Smart landed at Georgia..."

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Dyehard has proven to be a bammer over and over; He has no inside information. The committee of our three Heisman Trophy candidates did choose Gus. Bo Jackson even said after the fact: there was no one even close to Gus. At the time it seemed like the right hire. After losing to Minnesota, it certainly doesn’t seem like the right hire now.

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

Looks like you're both right.  Here is more.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2017/11/its_critical_for_gus_malzahn_t.html

"One example: Smart wanted full control to hire his own staff. As logical as that requirement may seem, Auburn decision-makers were used to having significant input in that regard. They had identified Malzahn as the offensive coordinator they wanted on Chizik's staff.

A person familiar with Smart's Auburn interview said he told the search committee, if hired, he would tap longtime friend Mike Bobo as offensive coordinator. The committee didn't like that idea, given Bobo's mixed results as a playcaller at Georgia.

Another 2012 concern: Auburn's inner circle feared that, if Georgia were to part company with Mark Richt in the near future, Smart would leave Auburn for Athens in a heartbeat to take his dream job as head coach at his alma mater.

Throw in Smart's demands that he get a full accounting of the NCAA's investigation of Auburn at the time and that, if hired, he be allowed to coach the Alabama defense through the BCS Championship Game - neither of which was acceptable to Auburn - and there were simply too many obstacles for both sides to overcome.

It didn't matter that former Auburn head coach and longtime influencer Pat Dye, seeing some of himself in Smart, preferred that he follow Chizik. Malzahn was destined for that position. Three years later when Richt was let go, Smart landed at Georgia..."

Please do not introduce facts that do not fit with @abw0004 narrow minded narratives.  Thank you.

Just now, AU-24 said:

Dyehard has proven to be a bammer over and over.

Yet it only took one post to prove you're a simpleton.

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I get my info from many different places, you?  It is part of what happened, which is what I said in my post.   As to your last sentence, see the last sentence of mine you quoted.

You have zero knowledge of the situation. Nothing you have said is even close to how it happened or how it went down.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Please do not introduce facts that do not fit with @abw0004 narrow minded narratives.  Thank you.

Now, now.  You were both right.  And in 2020, I really, really am sad about it.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Yet it only took one post to prove you're a simpleton.

And Nick Satan loses to LSU and Auburn in the same season. I can see you’re still hurting.

Archived