2021 5* SF Jonathan Kuminga (G League)

GwillMac6

12 hours ago, Tiger said:

The G League coaches are coaching these kids how to prepare for the NBA, it's their job to directly do that

And I'm assuming that they don't have the same limits on practice time and such? Not saddled by academics or the facade of amateurism... I wouldn't be surprised if these guys develop way faster. 

This seems just like the conversation about guys who leave early for the draft. If a guy isn't a lock to go in the first 2 rounds, fans *always* say he's making a mistake, as though they genuinely care about his career and well-being. And they might even think that they're genuine about that. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2020 at 1:02 AM, mustache eagle said:

Can’t help but think there will be a majority of these GL kids who regret these decisions.  Just a hunch ...

Why?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And I'm assuming that they don't have the same limits on practice time and such? Not saddled by academics or the facade of amateurism... I wouldn't be surprised if these guys develop way faster. 

This seems just like the conversation about guys who leave early for the draft. If a guy isn't a lock to go in the first 2 rounds, fans *always* say he's making a mistake, as though they genuinely care about his career and well-being. And they might even think that they're genuine about that. 

Exactly, no time limits and not worried about class or anything like that. This is now the kids' full time job and they are under the guidance of NBA coaches putting them through NBA level drills etc. For these prodigy-level players this is best for them IMO. And they are getting like ~$500k, above board, to do it seems like a no brainer, but I suppose that's unrelated to the development of the players and what's best for their careers.

Lol good comp with the draft and guys leaving early. Ah, and playing the well-being card is always a good one. It's an interesting reflex some have to being disappointed in someone's decision of where to play next. 

On 7/17/2020 at 7:53 AM, McLoofus said:

Remember when there used to be a concern about these kids getting hurt jumping from HS to the pros because of the increase in time spent playing. Travel ball/AAU really put the kibosh to that argument. 

Archived