Men vs Arkansas Game Thread

Maverick.AU

5 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Bench could be better but I still feel okay when Cambridge and Flanagan or Johnson are both in the game. Sure they don't get it done like great bench players but they are young or new to us and I want them to feel trusted and believed in by the coaches teammates and fans.  I say play them freely, move them in and out, and I think at the end of the game, we have fresher starters that aren't fatigued especially if we have to play overtime.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for their minutes to be reduced or anything like that. They provide much needed rest to our seniors + Okoro. But man do I wish they could give us something to count on offensively. It's going to be fun watching these guys grow. All 3 will have big roles next year.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jared52 said:

After watching the replay, I feel somewhat bad for Jones. I love the way he plays. He might be my pick over Perry for SEC POY. He was relentless and gave every ounce of energy for his team. AU was fortunate to come away with a win last night. 

I have been impressed with him all season. He is not the most athletic guy on the court, but damn, he plays hard,smart and he can shoot the basketball. POY in my book

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol we are no where near a top 5 squad. If Bruce Pearl keeps this up for 9 more conference games and he does not win SEC POTY it is a even bigger joke and more egregious than him not winning it 2 years ago. 2 years ago we had really good college talent. This year? not so much! haha. But Bruuuuuuuuce is absolutely coaching his ass off. It is remarkable. Hope this team just keeps holding serve at home!! I get worried and do not think we will win even at home when we play someone with more talent than us which Kentucky and LSU fits that bill.

Have you ever actually watched Auburn play a game?  The talent at Auburn now is better than its ever been in the history of Auburn basketball and it will be better next year.   Granted, I wish we shot the ball more consistently, but if you don't think there isn't talent on this team, well, you're insane.

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Have you ever actually watched Auburn play a game?  The talent at Auburn now is better than its ever been in the history of Auburn basketball and it will be better next year.   Granted, I wish we shot the ball more consistently, but if you don't think there isn't talent on this team, well, you're insane.

Dude. Do everyone a favor and just STFU. I'm so sick of your condescending attitude. Not just towards me but everyone. This board is a lot better when you are not around talking down to people thinking you are God with your opinions.

O and excuse me the talent level is not as good as the past 2 years!!! Muhhhhh bad. I guess I could of worded it different since I guess I always got to worry about upsetting you.... But no one else seemed to have a problem with what I said.

Yah no ish Sherlock the talent level during the Pearl years is more talented than almost any era in AU bball history. But this year specifically? Yah. I still don't think we are that talented. I don't think that's a big secret. What we lack in overall talent we obviously make up for in other areas. Okoro will be a lottery pick but other than that we are a very flawed team who struggles periodically on the offensive end of the floor where we can be very limited. Jared Harper and Bryce Brown were a elite college backcourt. It's a huge step down from them to j'von and Samir. But guess what??? I still love em!!!! They are solid! Samir has been en Fuego past 2 games. They compete their tail off and absolutely bring max effort, intensity and grit N grind every game!!! I don't think though it's this big secret we all are suprised at the roster makeup of this team that we are 20 freaking and 2!!! And if we slay another giant Saturday *fingers crossed* we are in a good position to win some kind of SEC title for the third straight year. 

But nahhhhhh your right!!!! Never seen a AU bball game........ 🤬🙄

On 2/4/2020 at 8:41 PM, tgrogan21 said:

Jay G Tate has said multiple times on the Brain Drain that Pearl sends the plays in to J'von and he either doesn't hear them or doesn't do a good enough job of communicating it to everyone else. Also said Pearl has said that if he knew how to fix it he would have already done so. I love that J'von balled out in the last 5 minutes but he needs to be consistent. Still, though, I want to see Okoro taking the ball up the court every time. Just don't think J'von has the skills to be a QB for the team, unfortunately.

Having a Jared or Sharife is so valuable

I am concerned about J'Von on Saturday. He gave us 5 of the worst possible PG minutes last year vs LSU. THANKFULLY Tremont Waters is no longer there. He was eating J'Von's lunch to the point Bruce said screw it I can't even play you today.

I need J'von to be wearing 55 and put up 15 and 7. We may need that from him to win tbh. LSU will be targeting him after his debacle of a game last year. I'm sure Wade will tell his guards to pressure J'Von relentlessly. I'm sooo glad this game is in the Jungle

12 hours ago, Tiger said:

I am concerned about J'Von on Saturday. He gave us 5 of the worst possible PG minutes last year vs LSU. THANKFULLY Tremont Waters is no longer there. He was eating J'Von's lunch to the point Bruce said screw it I can't even play you today.

I need J'von to be wearing 55 and put up 15 and 7. We may need that from him to win tbh. LSU will be targeting him after his debacle of a game last year. I'm sure Wade will tell his guards to pressure J'Von relentlessly. I'm sooo glad this game is in the Jungle

Guy was a net positive (I think) against Hagans, I dont think theres much worse he can encounter this season. Javonte Smart is a beast on that end though, and is physically stout

On 2/5/2020 at 5:26 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Dude. Do everyone a favor and just STFU. I'm so sick of your condescending attitude. Not just towards me but everyone. This board is a lot better when you are not around talking down to people thinking you are God with your opinions.

O and excuse me the talent level is not as good as the past 2 years!!! Muhhhhh bad. I guess I could of worded it different since I guess I always got to worry about upsetting you.... But no one else seemed to have a problem with what I said.

Yah no ish Sherlock the talent level during the Pearl years is more talented than almost any era in AU bball history. But this year specifically? Yah. I still don't think we are that talented. I don't think that's a big secret. What we lack in overall talent we obviously make up for in other areas. Okoro will be a lottery pick but other than that we are a very flawed team who struggles periodically on the offensive end of the floor where we can be very limited. Jared Harper and Bryce Brown were a elite college backcourt. It's a huge step down from them to j'von and Samir. But guess what??? I still love em!!!! They are solid! Samir has been en Fuego past 2 games. They compete their tail off and absolutely bring max effort, intensity and grit N grind every game!!! I don't think though it's this big secret we all are suprised at the roster makeup of this team that we are 20 freaking and 2!!! And if we slay another giant Saturday *fingers crossed* we are in a good position to win some kind of SEC title for the third straight year. 

EB35BD27-6551-4230-92D0-A083B65A4641.gif

On 2/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, WarTiger said:

Better than it's ever been in the history of Auburn basketball is a ridiculous statement, it's not better than it was last year but EVER???? Nope

On 2/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tiger said:

Before the season started I said jvon would be a chink in the armor and samir isn't a point either so we would have to be creative in how we set up our offense. The fact our record is what it is shows that Pearl is an elite coach. We have to keep pushing a high tempo because to be frank we can't operate at a normal tempo effectively. 

I could be wrong but when it's tourney time that's when you'll see our flaws....unless we can get Okoro to initiate our offense. If I was pearl that's all I would be doing now is letting him get used to that role.....It's the only way I see.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Before the season started I said jvon would be a chink in the armor and samir isn't a point either so we would have to be creative in how we set up our offense. The fact our record is what it is shows that Pearl is an elite coach. We have to keep pushing a high tempo because to be frank we can't operate at a normal tempo effectively. 

I could be wrong but when it's tourney time that's when you'll see our flaws....unless we can get Okoro to initiate our offense. If I was pearl that's all I would be doing now is letting him get used to that role.....It's the only way I see.

Yup several of us were saying J'von can be an asset around ~10-12 minutes a game but throwing 30 minutes onto his plate could be troublesome. J'von struggling to organize the O and get us in the proper sets on time is definitely reason for us to keep pushing the tempo -- I also agree on Isaac being more of an offensive initiator. He seems to have a great feel for angles and is very good at knowing where the ball should be going. That mind, passing ability, with his athleticism and defensive prowess is special IMO

Also agree on Bruce should be repping Okoro in that role. And definitely agree he's an elite coach. He squeezes every ounce of ability out of the players. His personality and salesmanship is what people notice and think that is all he is but that couldn't be further from the truth. He develops the hell out of his players and is great at making in-game adjustments.

I am a little worried about our ball movement, it seems to have fallen off a little bit from the beginning of the season where we would be making several passes around the perimeter hunting for a good look. I'd like to see a little more of that again.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yup several of us were saying J'von can be an asset around ~10-12 minutes a game but throwing 30 minutes onto his plate could be troublesome. J'von struggling to organize the O and get us in the proper sets on time is definitely reason for us to keep pushing the tempo -- I also agree on Isaac being more of an offensive initiator. He seems to have a great feel for angles and is very good at knowing where the ball should be going. That mind, passing ability, with his athleticism and defensive prowess is special IMO

Also agree on Bruce should be repping Okoro in that role. And definitely agree he's an elite coach. He squeezes every ounce of ability out of the players. His personality and salesmanship is what people notice and think that is all he is but that couldn't be further from the truth. He develops the hell out of his players and is great at making in-game adjustments.

I am a little worried about our ball movement, it seems to have fallen off a little bit from the beginning of the season where we would be making several passes around the perimeter hunting for a good look. I'd like to see a little more of that again.

Yes, several of you were saying he could be an asset....I didn't even say that, he had that nice run in the tourney but to be honest we should be a program where we're too strong for him to get playing time. In all honesty he should just be a good player in the ACT. But never see the floor but we're in a right spot right now

On 2/5/2020 at 5:26 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Had this been a life or death moment we’d all be dead lol, I fell asleep on this thread. But 

B93BDD0D-EF74-4B91-9635-CB09B14E594B.gif

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes, several of you were saying he could be an asset....I didn't even say that, he had that nice run in the tourney but to be honest we should be a program where we're too strong for him to get playing time. In all honesty he should just be a good player in the ACT. But never see the floor but we're in a right spot right now

Lol mis-typed on "several". It was definitely less than half voicing concern over J'von's new workload. IIRC you also mentioned that. He was never supposed to start here but hey we're 20-2 with a shot to be 1st in the league tomorrow lol definitely exceeded my expectations to this point. I hope we keep it rolling.

But man nothing gets me yelling at my TV quicker than subpar PG play. His highs have been better than I thought possible and his lows are what we were afraid of. And man he fluctuates pretty wildly. We need good J'von tomorrow 

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Had this been a life or death moment we’d all be dead lol, I fell asleep on this thread. But 

B93BDD0D-EF74-4B91-9635-CB09B14E594B.gif

ewtew.gif

3434ytyuuy.gif

Archived