Men vs Arkansas Game Thread

Maverick.AU

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

To me, its the same thing as when some of us were complaining about fouls when it looked like we were gonna lose: there were far bigger causes. The commentators said it ad nauseam, but apparently their third best with the Joe fella out? Did nothing. All day. Sills couldnt maintain his effort. Guys lost Jvon twice in the most important part of the game. There's bigger causes than just "fouls" 

Agreed. 

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how we keep winning!!! I really don't think we are that good....yet. CBP knows what he is doing, and I have no doubt that we will peak at the right time. It is so much fun to watch our guys just out tough our opponents.

22 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Bama was a decent team with some shooters. But the injuries have derailed them. Jones is that glue guy everyone needs, huge loss. And Bolden, a premiere backup PG is gimpy. He missed their Arky home loss as well.

I dont think it was an atrocious loss, it just was a bad one. You cant really get smoked by a decent team as a top 5 squad without it being considered bad, even in a year where other teams also have bad ones

21 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

A Q1 loss is better than a Q2. :P That's the only thing I'm holding on to, dang it! We're one of only 12 teams in the country to not have any Q2-Q4 losses. 

Let's say they only lose to UK on the road for the remainder of the season. You got at least one quad 1 win, maybe something on the very borderline of a Q1 road win if UT goes crazy to finish this season. Several Q2 wins, one definite quad 1 loss and one that'll potentially be a high quad 2 loss. I think that measures out as a high 3rd seed maybe low 2nd seed? A 28-3 team that keeps every game close would be tantalizing to me if I was the tourney and I needed a good upset candidate 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont think it was an atrocious loss, it just was a bad one. You cant really get smoked by a decent team as a top 5 squad without it being considered bad, even in a year where other teams also have bad ones

Agreed. Both of those losses, as bad as they were, was a much needed wake up call. I think it made the players receptive to some subtle, but necessary changes.

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

lol we are no where near a top 5 squad. If Bruce Pearl keeps this up for 9 more conference games and he does not win SEC POTY it is a even bigger joke and more egregious than him not winning it 2 years ago. 2 years ago we had really good college talent. This year? not so much! haha. But Bruuuuuuuuce is absolutely coaching his ass off. It is remarkable. Hope this team just keeps holding serve at home!! I get worried and do not think we will win even at home when we play someone with more talent than us which Kentucky and LSU fits that bill.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol we are no where near a top 5 squad. If Bruce Pearl keeps this up for 9 more conference games and he does not win SEC POTY it is a even bigger joke and more egregious than him not winning it 2 years ago. 2 years ago we had really good college talent. This year? not so much! haha. But Bruuuuuuuuce is absolutely coaching his ass off. It is remarkable. Hope this team just keeps holding serve at home!! I get worried and do not think we will win even at home when we play someone with more talent than us which Kentucky and LSU fits that bill.

You're correct. Because of their unmitigated hate for Pearl, they'll give it to Will Wade in spite of his "strong ass offer" and season ending suspension last season.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nothing at all personal when I say this because I love Bruce Pearl but dang, Auburn basketball had previously set the bar very, very low. Bruce will own every record before he's done. 

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wild. 

Then again, 20 wins ain't quite what it once was. 

But it hilarious to think we 2-3 wins from being a stone cold lock in for the tournament. 

In early February.

What a time to be an Auburn basketball fan. 

Great win that was really a must-win game to keep the hope alive of winning the SEC regular season title. It was also extremely important to win to set the mood for the showdown with LSU on Saturday.  I think the MVP of this game goes to Mac.  Wiley was an absolute liability on the court this game and if AU didnt have Mac to step in I think they lose the game. He finished with a double double and played excellent defense, so much so that Arky gave up trying to run off of high screens altogether.  The last two games the best lineup has been Jvon, Samir, Okoro, Mac, and Purifoy.  It was really frustrating seeing Flanigan and Cambridge come in and fail to help the team. Flanigan seems to be adverse to driving the lane and content with taking 3s, while Cambridge has just been generally ineffective at both ends of the court. Sure, each of them made one or two good plays but they were offset by bad decisions and defensive lapses.  I think this team is very talented overall and very complimentary to each other. If everyone gives 100% effort in what they are best at this team can beat anyone in the country. Even with the team experiencing a general slump in shooting they are still winning games thru a combination of good defense, a high level of effort on every play, and playing physical and creating contact that the refs have to call a foul on despite their best efforts to swallow their whistles. 

I like 55 J'von better than 5 J'Von. In all seriousness he snapped out of his funk and played a maaajor role in us securing this win last night. He turned from a liability to a reason we won.

Samir played like a senior leader. Huuuge FTs and huge buckets. We needed every one of them.

Danjel did not play that great but made major clutch plays and some biiiig buckets. And 9 rebounds is great effort from him

Okoro is so damn good. The kid just knows how to play the game. He is so good getting to the rack it seems like he doesn't even need a counter move on his drives at this level.

Anfernee -- HELL OF A GAME. This was either going to be a game we got 16/12 out of Wiley or a lot of nothing. Unfortunately it was the latter. But Anfernee is our answer to those teams that don't have a real center and we won because of being able to plug him in.  He gave us 34 minutes and a double double without making a single 3 ball. Impressive effort. Man it's been a treat watching this kid grow and overcome a catastrophic injury to be such a key piece to our team. He's been playing like a senior leader lately. We're going to need him to continue balling out.

Bench Squad: Cambdridge/Al Flan/Johnson are who they are. Theres a better than 50% chance each game that we get nothing from them and I'd say 75% chance we get nothing from them when we play on the road. This has to change, we are winning in spite of their efforts on O. Cambridge and Flan can give us something offensively but those 2 are helpful on defense with their length. Damn I thought all reports indicated Al Flan was a shooter but damn he's gonna hurt someone one of these days with his perimeter shot. I feel the same about Cambdridge. These kids have bright futures but right now we need something offensively from them. Not trying to be harsh but our reality is we aren't as deep as we'd like to be. Eventually it'll catch up to us but we have been fighting through which is a great sign for this team.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I like 55 J'von better than 5 J'Von. In all seriousness he snapped out of his funk and played a maaajor role in us securing this win last night. He turned from a liability to a reason we won.

Samir played like a senior leader. Huuuge FTs and huge buckets. We needed every one of them.

Danjel did not play that great but made major clutch plays and some biiiig buckets. And 9 rebounds is great effort from him

Okoro is so damn good. The kid just knows how to play the game. He is so good getting to the rack it seems like he doesn't even need a counter move on his drives at this level.

Anfernee -- HELL OF A GAME. This was either going to be a game we got 16/12 out of Wiley or a lot of nothing. Unfortunately it was the latter. But Anfernee is our answer to those teams that don't have a real center and we won because of being able to plug him in.  He gave us 34 minutes and a double double without making a single 3 ball. Impressive effort. Man it's been a treat watching this kid grow and overcome a catastrophic injury to be such a key piece to our team. He's been playing like a senior leader lately. We're going to need him to continue balling out.

Bench Squad: Cambdridge/Al Flan/Johnson are who they are. Theres a better than 50% chance each game that we get nothing from them and I'd say 75% chance we get nothing from them when we play on the road. This has to change, we are winning in spite of their efforts on O. Cambridge and Flan can give us something offensively but those 2 are helpful on defense with their length. Damn I thought all reports indicated Al Flan was a shooter but damn he's gonna hurt someone one of these days with his perimeter shot. I feel the same about Cambdridge. These kids have bright futures but right now we need something offensively from them. Not trying to be harsh but our reality is we aren't as deep as we'd like to be. Eventually it'll catch up to us but we have been fighting through which is a great sign for this team.

gfdgfd.gif

I didn’t get to watch the game. Just catching a few moments here and there on my phone at work. Without knowing the stats we seemed to make the critical free throws at the end. I always appreciate that. 

I didn’t get to watch the game. Just catching a few moments here and there on my phone at work. Without knowing the stats we seemed to make the critical free throws at the end. I always appreciate that. 
was Wiley injured?

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

was Wiley injured?

Wiley was not injured. We struggled to get him the ball and when we did get it to him it was knocked loose. Just struggled all around with their smaller quicker guys. 

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

They were top 5 when that game occurred. I don’t think the rankings/metrics (other than NET) will play a heavy factor though

After watching the replay, I feel somewhat bad for Jones. I love the way he plays. He might be my pick over Perry for SEC POY. He was relentless and gave every ounce of energy for his team. AU was fortunate to come away with a win last night. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bench could be better but I still feel okay when Cambridge and Flanagan or Johnson are both in the game. Sure they don't get it done like great bench players but they are young or new to us and I want them to feel trusted and believed in by the coaches teammates and fans.  I say play them freely, move them in and out, and I think at the end of the game, we have fresher starters that aren't fatigued especially if we have to play overtime.  

Archived