Sold Paper must Remain Liberal...

DKW 86

Link

In Unusual Agreement, 'Post-Dispatch' Will Remain Liberal Under Lee

By Mark Fitzgerald

Published: May 13, 2005 3:10 PM ET

CHICAGO When Lee Enterprises Inc. agreed to purchase Pulitzer Inc. for $1.46 billion, it also agreed that the flagship St. Louis Post-Dispatch will keep its longstanding liberal editorial slant for at least the next five years, according to the purchase agreement mailed to Pulitzer shareholders Friday.

"For a period of at least five years following the Effective Time, Parent (Lee Enterprises) will cause the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to maintain its current name and editorial page platform statement and to maintain its news and editorial headquarters in the City of St. Louis, Missouri," the agreement states.

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party:rolleyes: always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news :rolleyes: , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Over the years, the paper's editorials have taken a reliably Democratic or liberal view of issues, positions some worried would change under Lee's ownership.

Lee had previously told employees that it has "has always been cautious about making changes to longstanding editorial positions of the newspaper." In a question-and-answer sheet distributed soon after the January announcement of the purchase, Lee said it lets "local publishers and editors ... decide what positions are best for their communities."

Link
In Unusual Agreement, 'Post-Dispatch' Will Remain Liberal Under Lee

By Mark Fitzgerald

Published: May 13, 2005 3:10 PM ET

CHICAGO When Lee Enterprises Inc. agreed to purchase Pulitzer Inc. for $1.46 billion, it also agreed that the flagship St. Louis Post-Dispatch will keep its longstanding liberal editorial slant for at least the next five years, according to the purchase agreement mailed to Pulitzer shareholders Friday.

"For a period of at least five years following the Effective Time, Parent (Lee Enterprises) will cause the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to maintain its current name and editorial page platform statement and to maintain its news and editorial headquarters in the City of St. Louis, Missouri," the agreement states.

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party,  :rolleyes: always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news :rolleyes: , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Over the years, the paper's editorials have taken a reliably Democratic or liberal view of issues, positions some worried would change under Lee's ownership.

Lee had previously told employees that it has "has always been cautious about making changes to longstanding editorial positions of the newspaper." In a question-and-answer sheet distributed soon after the January announcement of the purchase, Lee said it lets "local publishers and editors ... decide what positions are best for their communities."

159688[/snapback]

Liberal? Sound's Christian to me:

never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party,   always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare,

Sad how so many "Christians" today have trouble recognizing the principles Christ championed.

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, Yeah, right... never belong to any party,  Yeah, right... always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers Yeah, right... , never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing newsEveryone wishes they would just print the news rather than putting aLiberal Spin/Twist to it. , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty." This does sound Christian in content to me as well, however....

Over the years, the paper's editorials have taken a reliably Democratic or liberal view of issues, positions some worried would change under Lee's ownership. This sounds like the anti-thesis of Christian thought. Of course if you like the kind of Christianity that says one thing and actually does another I recommend any number of positions within the liberal press or Democratic Party.

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, Yeah, right... never belong to any party,  Yeah, right... always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers Yeah, right... , never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing newsEveryone wishes they would just print the news rather than putting aLiberal Spin/Twist to it. , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty." This does sound Christian in content to me as well, however....

Over the years, the paper's editorials have taken a reliably Democratic or liberal view of issues, positions some worried would change under Lee's ownership. This sounds like the anti-thesis of Christian thought. Of course if you like the kind of Christianity that says one thing and actually does another I recommend any number of positions within the liberal press or Democratic Party.

159700[/snapback]

Your belief that Christ would return as a Republican would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetically misguided.

I'm sure Jesus would vomit profusely if asked to join any political party and would have issues joining most "Christian" churches.

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party,  always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news  , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Gosh, what a shameful set of values! How ever do liberals sleep at night knowing they don't even approve of injustice or corruption?

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party,   always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news  , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Gosh, what a shameful set of values! How ever do liberals sleep at night knowing they don't even approve of injustice or corruption?

159707[/snapback]

Sorry Piglet, Values written in 1911 without a trace of supporting actions in 2005 are just junk.

I'm sure Jesus would vomit profusely if asked to join any political party and would have issues joining most "Christian" churches.

159705[/snapback]

Everyone needs to remember the truth here that I NEVER enjoined Christianity into this discussion. A Liberal kind of claimed a connection with Christianity in their values, not me. I was pointing out that there was no connection with the paper's guiding principles and their ultimate actions.

The Dispatch will just keep writing toward their audience...nothing at all shocking about that. Platform statements/mission statements are naturally going to sound wonderful...a mission statement and a buck will buy a soda.

88, you said it...I'm inclined to think that both political parties would get a severe rebuke from Jesus.

159700[/snapback]

Your belief that Christ would return as a Republican would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetically misguided.

159701[/snapback]

Where did I ever say that? I never did and once again defending the indefensible has gotten you in trouble. You were the one equating Christianity with Democratic thought and actions.

BTW, wonder what Christ's thoughts on some Democratic posisitions would be?

159705[/snapback]

Everyone needs to remember the truth here that I NEVER enjoined Christianity into this discussion. A Liberal kind of claimed a connection with Christianity in their values, not me. I was pointing out that there was no connection with the paper's guiding principles and their ultimate actions.

159711[/snapback]

I wasn't saying that you did DKW. I was just responding to the idea of christ joining a political party brought up in this thread.

159700[/snapback]

159701[/snapback]

Where did I ever say that? I never did and once again defending the indefensible has gotten you in trouble. You were the one equating Christianity with Democratic thought and actions.

159715[/snapback]

The article said this, which BTW, was that author's characterization:

To which, you replied:

This sounds like the anti-thesis of Christian thought.

My response was to that statement.

You were the one equating Christianity with Democratic thought and actions.

Again, not true.

I said the qualities/values listed in the "pledge" sounded Christian. You agreed:

This does sound Christian in content to me as well, however....

159700[/snapback]

159701[/snapback]

159715[/snapback]

The article said this, which BTW, was that author's characterization:

To which, you replied:

This sounds like the anti-thesis of Christian thought.

My response was to that statement.

159741[/snapback]

:bs:

I never brought Christianity into this at all. :rolleyes:

The article never said any such thing, nor did I. Typical...

The factual content of the portion of the article you quoted merely states that the paper will maintain it's current platform statement for 5 years:

The Post-Dispatch platform statement, adopted in 1911, includes the pledge that the newspaper "will always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party,   always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news  , always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

This platform statement never mentions the words "liberal" nor "Democrat". The author of the article states his conclusion that this means the paper will "remain liberal."

My point was that the values stated in this platform statement don't necessarily belong to any one party or political persuasion and, in fact, are not inconsistent with the teachings of Christ.

Liberal? Sound's Christian to me:

You, then, made it a partisan debate. If you or anyone else reads this platform statement and the Democratic party comes to mind, that's interesting.

This platform statement never mentions the words "liberal" nor "Democrat". The author of the article states his conclusion that this means the paper will "remain liberal."

The Author never equates the statement with Christianity nor the Democratic Party either. The author makes fun of the fact that despite the last 94 years of history showing that the paper in fact disregards the statement but still feels the need to somehow enforce the statement that they in fact ignore.

My point was that the values stated in this platform statement don't necessarily belong to any one party or political persuasion and, in fact, are not inconsistent with the teachings of Christ.

I agree with that, we all agree with that. What I do not agree with is that I ever said that Christ was a "Republican" or whatever the crap you said. I disagree that the paper holds the statement in anything other than disrespect.

I disagree that the paper holds the statement in anything other than disrespect.

This means you believe they respectfully follow the statement. ;)

Seriously, David, I'm no expert on the historical editorial stance on the St. Louis Dispatch, and I seriously doubt you are either.

And that is why we have the article to give that info to us.

Stated Principles that are not followed are just a waste of paper.

Lets hope The Creed never gets that way. It one of many things that set us apart.

And that is why we have the article to give that info to us.

Stated Principles that are not followed are just a waste of paper.

Lets hope The Ceed never gets that way. It one of many things that set us apart.

159777[/snapback]

Honestly, David. How familiar are you with the St. Louis Dispatch that you can justify a statement as broad and as damning as this one:

I was pointing out that there was no connection with the paper's guiding principles and their ultimate actions.

Archived