Drew Brees Comments

Grumps

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

My apologies, I was looking ahead. I meant to say bashing Brees for personally disagreeing with kneeling during the anthem. I took his comment to mean that he would not do it. I also wonder what will happen at his next game if he does not kneel. Regarding "tradition" - Kneeling for the National Anthem has become "the way" to protest police brutality against blacks has it not? Now I'm confused too! I thought you said that Brees kneeling before the National Anthem with his teammates was meaningless because it wasn't during the National Anthem. Either way, I thank you for trying also!

10-4, thanks for clarifying. 

I hope that he would not be criticized for not kneeling. So far, I haven't heard of anyone being criticized for not kneeling. (I'm sure there is a fringe element who does, but not anyone with a real voice that I'm aware of.) That would be problematic for many reasons. Hypocrisy wouldn't be the main one for me, but it would be part of it. 

And if someone is going to use an NFl pre-game to protest police brutality, then yes, it seems kneeling during the anthem is the way to do it. I'm sure other ways might occur. But to me, simple acknowledgment becomes protest once the protester takes on some level of risk or sacrifice, or at least articulate one's displeasure with a specific person's or group's decisions or policies. For example, my family and I went to a local rally yesterday. My daughter had a BLM sign. We listened to mostly black people speak passionately about their experiences and about what we can do going forward. I wore all black and my wife wore a T-shirt for a black arts organization. We participated and we showed solidarity. We didn't protest anything. And I don't think Brees did when kneeling with others before the anthem, either. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The thing that has ALWAYS been on this board is if you don't agree equates to you don't listen. But that's actually two different things.....also a person saying hey I have a black friend also doesn't equate to I listened to your point of view or I have walked in your shoes

(you're doing it right now)

42 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

This is false.  I looked at all of the notifications I received from you yesterday and from the day before and you once never mentioned it.  Perhaps you have your days off?  If so, refer me to it. If you made the same point then it is a good point even though I see them as all related because I do believe in the value of all black lives. Now I did notice where you said there are 7 times more whites than blacks in this county which is  false.  

I said we're talking about one thing and you keep bringing entire different variables to the conversation. Then I pointed out how you are even confusing yourself as you did with your false accusation about the civil war stuff and you can actually see how literally anybody that says something to you is either spinning your words or making a false claim...also it's funny that you've been proven wrong by EVERYBODY on multiple subjects but you're still very confident in telling people how wrong they are

Rant on:

The patriotism-based criticism that Colin Kaepernick receives for (respectfully) kneeling during the anthem in protest is a perfect example of "white privilege".

To explain: 

Whites have the advantage of not having experienced brutal, dehumanizing racism - starting with slavery - that blacks have experienced for the generations they have been here.  Whites - not having lived that - can afford psychologically to actually believe in the promise of America as expressed in the founding documents relating to all men being created equal. They can afford to believe that as fact.  While even in our Constitution, provisions were made that legally regarding blacks as less that a full human being.

So it's easy for whites to stand up in reverence for the flag as a symbol of the values the country represent.   They aren't bothered with the psychological necessity of having to admit to themselves those values are as yet, an unfulfilled myth. 

Even so, blacks largely built the wealth of this country as slaves. (The South's wealth - based on slavery - was far greater than the rest of the country in the early 1800's.)

Furthermore, many blacks have fought an died for our country, from the very beginning, and even more in the 20 century and today.  In fact, there is one incident from the mid 20th century that has always stuck with me and that perfectly illustrates the difference between white privilege and the black American experience.

I remember a story about returning black veterans returning from WWII on buses or trains.  (As I recall, this involved the Tuskegee Airmen, which is a great story if you are not familiar with it.) When they entered the South, they had to move themselves to the back of the bus or to segregated train cars. 

Not only that, but there were German POW's on the same train or bus, which were allowed to remain up front or in the nicer, whites-only cars.  If that's not bad enough, when they stopped to eat, the German POW's were allowed to enter the restaurant while the blacks were excluded, based on their race.  Men who had fought - and some died - for America.

Whites have the luxury of not having to bear such a legacy - or even remember it when it suits them.  They are perfectly free to feel good about standing for the national anthem and sing "land of the free and home of the brave".

Blacks have endured far worse from the beginning.  The event I described above doesn't come close to the lynchings and beatings and torture associated with slavery and Jim Crow, but it illustrates how their oppression has endured and continues to endure, even through modern times.

How dare white people call Colin Kapaernick an "S.O.B. that ought to leave the country" (Trump).  How dare whites - even on this forum - castigate CK for "disrespecting the flag" when he is simply - as he has clearly stated - protesting the fact that the promise of what the flag represents has yet to be reached

But being white, you can simply dismiss that message and assert that expressed patriotism for a piece of cloth and an anthem representing an idea - an idea that is an unfilled myth to a black person - is more important that accepting CK's message there is still work to be done.

It reveals a total ignorance of our history regarding race.  It reveals a total disregard or dismissal of the message CK is sending. It shows no empathy.  It is a self-indulgent, white privilege and you should be ashamed for thinking it. 

Rant off.

38 minutes ago, The Freak said:

(you're doing it right now)

Right, like I said by your definition if youvoice an opinion you're not walking in anybody's else shoes

Oh and btw the only thing I'm voicing opinions on is equality for all people and if anybody wants to argue that you're right I'm not walking in their shoes. I suggest you do the same but of course that's all I can do is suggest

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I said we're talking about one thing and you keep bringing entire different variables to the conversation. Then I pointed out how you are even confusing yourself as you did with your false accusation about the civil war stuff and you can actually see how literally anybody that says something to you is either spinning your words or making a false claim...also it's funny that you've been proven wrong by EVERYBODY on multiple subjects but you're still very confident in telling people how wrong they are

Name one thing I've been proven wrong on. There are things people disagree on as matters of perspective and opinion. But there is not one fact I've been wrong on.  In fact, I provided the proof and you refuse to acknowledge it and instead resort to hurling insults at me and calling me names. You have even gone so far as to claim opportunity zones are made up.  You probably don't believe there has been recent criminal justice reform either. 

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I explained to the other poster and to you that those items are related in my opinion and how they are related in my opinion and that they are related because they all involve the killing of blacks. 

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right, like I said by your definition if youvoice an opinion you're not walking in anybody's else shoes

Oh and btw the only thing I'm voicing opinions on is equality for all people and if anybody wants to argue that you're right I'm not walking in their shoes. I suggest you do the same but of course that's all I can do is suggest

ok

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The thing that has ALWAYS been on this board is if you don't agree equates to you don't listen. But that's actually two different things.....also a person saying hey I have a black friend also doesn't equate to I listened to your point of view or I have walked in your shoes

We agree on something.  Although I have listened to your point of view in this instance and the views of many, many others.  However, I base my conclusions more on the data and the facts. 

You see accepting facts allows me to see there is still a problem in our justice system because a white person can be charged with the exact same crime as a black person and the data shows the black person will statistically serve more time.  I can see this and say this is wrong and must change.  But this is a one way street.  I posted the FBI data that proves exactly what I said.  Another poster posted info from the Washington Post as well.  You absolutely refuse to accept those facts.  I can only assume it is because it doesn't represent how you "feel" about the matter. So it often times is a one way street when talking to you.  You show me facts and data to support your "feelings" and I'm happy to consider them as I have a very open mind.  However, your actions show your mind is closed as you continue to ignore facts.  I'll not discuss this any longer with you as I am wasting my time because your mind is closed and you simply refuse to accept facts.  I hope you life is richly blessed.  War Eagle!!

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Name one thing I've been proven wrong on. There are things people disagree on as matters of perspective and opinion. But there is not one fact I've been wrong on.  In fact, I provided the proof and you refuse to acknowledge it and instead resort to hurling insults at me and calling me names. You have even gone so far as to claim opportunity zones are made up.  You probably don't believe there has been recent criminal justice reform either. 

There hasn't been but no I don't want to talk to you because what you did and there is no disputing this is said some things and claimed them to be fact, one of the facts you were using to back up a false claim. Then people asked you to show data on your claim, for the first two days you wouldn't do it you just said it was fact. So really what you did was say you won't take my word for fact so you don't accept fact because you don't accept my word, which is a very pompous thing to do. 

You then wouldn't talk on the subject at hand you just repeated over and over the same things to move away from the original conversation. You then followed me into another thread saying I don't accept facts because I wouldn't engage in a conversation with you. So this continued until now you finally posted a reference. I have reasons to not believe in ALL statistics as the people that produce them of course cover things up to protect themselves and there are plenty of cases where they have been caught doing so. But you see YOU are the one that refuse to accept facts and other opinions.

Now you still keep saying I won't accept facts as if I'm stupid or something. So to that I still say screw you and your pompous attitude. I don't care if you won't talk to me, I've been asking you for a few days now to stop talking to me. 

But truth be told if you were so right people would agree with you, people would like the comments to show they agree. The only thing you've gotten is a couple of likes from people who were arguing with me about something else so you received a couple of likes from me. You're welcome!

So instead of repeating yourself over and over while avoiding other people's rebuttal to your claims just follow through with your statement and stop writing me. You've said this multiple times now but you keep writing. Just stop. Ok. ✌🏾

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Wow so you do that too huh? Ok it must be a prerequisite

It is a prerequisite when your post was told to be untrue.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nobody cared on the principal that his grandfather fought in the war. If anything it was more ok. And? I have family that fought in the war too! NOBODY was like you know I wouldn't even care about his interview but then I found out his grandparents fought in the war and NOW I'm upset!

Brees was (IMO) giving a personal reason why he felt the way he did about the flag and the National Anthem.  It was personal, he was proud of his Grandfather’s service.  A person can be proud of something in their life and that doesn’t mean they are discounting anybody else’s Grandfather or Father that fought in any war.

The remark was not taken very well, now his wife is in the act.  You’re right, I don’t like CK.  I think a better spokesperson could be found.  Again, not disagreeing with the message, just the messenger.

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Oh and as far as being proven wrong I've already told a couple but you refuse to acknowledge that I never said what you said I did and the stats from the Washington post you mentioned said the shootings across America is a steady rate and consistent so that proves that you saying everything is going down wrong

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

It is a prerequisite when your post was told to be untrue.

Brees was (IMO) giving a personal reason why he felt the way he did about the flag and the National Anthem.  It was personal, he was proud of his Grandfather’s service.  A person can be proud of something in their life and that doesn’t mean they are discounting anybody else’s Grandfather or Father that fought in any war.

The remark was not taken very well, now his wife is in the act.  You’re right, I don’t like CK.  I think a better spokesperson could be found.  Again, not disagreeing with the message, just the messenger.

I haven't posted anything untrue but right you don't like him so you're going to go against him, which is your choice but because you don't like him doesn't make the bad things you say about him untrue, such as he's not a leader. He's very much so is one. 

As far as brees we all know what he said and surprisingly African Americans can think and like I said the fact that he's proud of his grand parents bothered nobody, the fact that he said kneeling disrespect the flag and his grand parents did. Which is explained in both clips you posted. You cherry picked one idea out of context. And that's the prerequisite that you followed but ok. I got you

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

There hasn't been but no I don't want to talk to you because what you did and there is no disputing this is said some things and claimed them to be fact, one of the facts you were using to back up a false claim. Then people asked you to show data on your claim, for the first two days you wouldn't do it you just said it was fact. So really what you did was say you won't take my word for fact so you don't accept fact because you don't accept my word, which is a very pompous thing to do. 

You then wouldn't talk on the subject at hand you just repeated over and over the same things to move away from the original conversation. You then followed me into another thread saying I don't accept facts because I wouldn't engage in a conversation with you. So this continued until now you finally posted a reference. I have reasons to not believe in ALL statistics as the people that produce them of course cover things up to protect themselves and there are plenty of cases where they have been caught doing so. But you see YOU are the one that refuse to accept facts and other opinions.

Now you still keep saying I won't accept facts as if I'm stupid or something. So to that I still say screw you and your pompous attitude. I don't care if you won't talk to me, I've been asking you for a few days now to stop talking to me. 

But truth be told if you were so right people would agree with you, people would like the comments to show they agree. The only thing you've gotten is a couple of likes from people who were arguing with me about something else so you received a couple of likes from me. You're welcome!

So instead of repeating yourself over and over while avoiding other people's rebuttal to your claims just follow through with your statement and stop writing me. You've said this multiple times now but you keep writing. Just stop. Ok. ✌🏾

Ok. We agree on something else. It is so sad to see anyone resort to insults though. You are in my prayers. 

34 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Ok. We agree on something else. It is so sad to see anyone resort to insults though. You are in my prayers. 

It's very sad when people try to talk down and insult you but think they are so smart that EVERYBODYcan't see what you're doing. It's like the kid that hides behind a broom handle and they just know that nobody can see them behind that great hiding spot 

23 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

It’s 56% more clueless than the typical @SocialCircle post, which makes it 42% less clueless than one of your typical posts— how’s that?

predictable

23 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah those social circle type facts where you just make things up? I'm sure they do matter to you and him. They don't to anybody else though

I was thinking more like the FBI facts and stats. Check them out.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

(Now you're doing it) ok

nope, i'm just not engaging you.  there's no point because you're not interested other points of view.  no offense, but that's your thing and that's fine.

for the record, i think both you and social have mentioned some good areas for focused efforts.  but i don't think any one from either "side" will actually listen or acknowledge some things that could make things better or find common ground.

that's how america works now, and it's kinda sad.

6 hours ago, The Freak said:

nope, i'm just not engaging you.  there's no point because you're not interested other points of view.  no offense, but that's your thing and that's fine.

for the record, i think both you and social have mentioned some good areas for focused efforts.  but i don't think any one from either "side" will actually listen or acknowledge some things that could make things better or find common ground.

Yes you're the enlightened one, I offer no opinion I just appear and claim that I listen and you don't. Be very self righteous and state both sides has points because it sound good but still look down at the fact African Americans are upset that they are being killed. Stubborn African Americans won't listen as to why they should calm down! Look you're not even being killed as much as you think! You won't listen to the rigged stats that says you're less human and more violent than the rest of us! That may be why you are being killed more! But you refuse to listen to the other side smh....so I'll sit back and do nothing....which actually is the most like America is right now and you're right it's very sad. Reminds me when Trump said both sides are very fine people......

8 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I was thinking more like the FBI facts and stats. Check them out.

Like I said run along and play with your peers that are like minded

10 hours ago, The Freak said:

Like I said I do understand our justice system needs reform.  For example, the data shows a white man and a black man can be charged with the same crime and the odds are the black man will serve a longer sentence. It is hard to have a discussion when someone believes opportunity zones are made up. The FBI shows whites are arsonists as a much higher rate than blacks and I don't try to ignore it by saying the numbers are rigged.  I also do believe we can always do better as it relates to police brutality, but I can also see where the studies show it has gotten better in recent years despite the emotional and tragic killing of George Floyd.  It does often seem like it is a one way street. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes you're the enlightened one, I offer no opinion I just appear and claim that I listen and you don't. Be very self righteous and state both sides has points because it sound good but still look down at the fact African Americans are upset that they are being killed. Stubborn African Americans won't listen as to why they should calm down! Look you're not even being killed as much as you think! You won't listen to the rigged stats that says you're less human and more violent than the rest of us! That may be why you are being killed more! But you refuse to listen to the other side smh....so I'll sit back and do nothing....which actually is the most like America is right now and you're right it's very sad. Reminds me when Trump said both sides are very fine people......

Still being silly I see.  But you're right, you should be mad.  Mad as hell.  I agree.  I'm mad about it, too.  But how should/could you (we) actually effect some change?

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Still being silly I see.  But you're right, you should be mad.  Mad as hell.  I agree.  I'm mad about it, too.  But how should/could you (we) actually effect some change?

That is the million dollar question.

I think the bigger question is how do we undo 150 years (I am mainly talking about the end of the Civil War) of systemic racism that purposely was put into place to stymie economic prosperity and equality for blacks? The problem is I don't think either party in our government fully want to fix it. Johnson was probably about the closest we got. Even now with Biden for example if he gets elected, it is not going to get any better. I mean some of the things he wants to reform would just reverse policies he helped put in place. 

Archived