Kaepernick on July Fourth: 'We reject your celebration of white supremacy'

Auburn85

Just now, alexava said:

A coworker moved to San Antonio. I asked about the Mexican food. He said He had better at Rosie’s and Phil Sandavols in Huntsville Alabama. 

Then he hasn't been to the right places or simply doesn't understand what real Mexican  food is about. 

I've been to Rosie's.  It ain't Mexican food.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, alexava said:

A coworker moved to San Antonio. I asked about the Mexican food. He said He had better at Rosie’s and Phil Sandavols in Huntsville Alabama. 

I like Rosie's.

13 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Best Mexican? Central America hands down for me. Panama or Costa Rica. Some may not consider it Mexican, but whatever. Amazing!

Tacos in Panama with a side of fried plantains and a local brew, unbeatable. I didn't even know what the meat was at times. Some say kudamundi. (it's a jungle y'all) And the habanero sauce :yay: 

Fresh grilled fish tacos in Costa Rica on the beach (straight from my boat) ridiculous!!! Add a fresh Cuba Libre and it's on!

Columbian food man.  Oh I could eat that for days.

A co-worker of mine is originally from the Carribean.  Dude made me Goat curry once and brought it in for lunch.  It was one of the best dishes I've ever had.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

A co-worker of mine is originally from the Carribean.  Dude made me Goat curry once and brought it in for lunch.  It was one of the best dishes I've ever had.

Goat is underrated. Try it in soup with habanero sauce and chase with a beer. You'll need the beer. ;D Stuff's hot!

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Jerk pork in Jamaica is awesome. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

yum

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

Get conchinita pibil if you're even on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.  It's pulled pork that was rubbed in achiote paste, wrapped in a banana leaf, and cooked slowly.  It's freaking amazing.  I had it the first time on the side of the road outside of Puerto Aventuras.  Best meal I had that entire trip.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Get conchinita pibil if you're even on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.  It's pulled pork that was rubbed in achiote paste, wrapped in a banana leaf, and cooked slowly.  It's freaking amazing.  I had it the first time on the side of the road outside of Puerto Aventuras.  Best meal I had that entire trip.

Shut up. Hangry.

Another dish I was introduced to in Central America was ceviche. Had variations in the US but not quite the same. Even tried to replicate myself but not remotely successful. Still good. Had to be some secret ingredient. IDK. Great for a high protein, low fat diet. Great with beer. Trend?

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

8 hours ago, alexava said:

There's an awesome Jamaican place by my office and I always have trouble picking curry or jerk. Good news is I never pick wrong.

As for Columbian, give me that bandeja paisa!

And Costa Rican food isn't particularly remarkable but Lizano sauce is.

I can tell none of us have gotten to travel in a minute.

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Goat is underrated. Try it in soup with habanero sauce and chase with a beer. You'll need the beer. ;D Stuff's hot!

next time you wanna boink me about something seventyeight remember i am an old goat.........

What a great thread......... start with Kaepernick and now on Mexican, Jamaican, Columbian and Costa Rican food....................

screw white supremacy...............lets get behind golf supremacy! who is with me besides golf?

Worst experience I had was eating a Roti at a tiny place in Toronto just before heading back to the states. The owner was from Trinidad and Tobago.

Like an idiot, I chose the 2nd hottest spice level "Deadly" (you had to sign a waiver for the top level) and the meat was goat. So it was a "Deadly Goat Roti"...It lived up to its name too. It was delicious at the time, but it was a miserable plane ride back.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

What a great thread......... start with Kaepernick and now on Mexican, Jamaican, Columbian and Costa Rican food....................

Quality derail.

Can't speak for authentic Mexican. We do have some decent Mexican restaurants here in Central Alabama, but I cant speak to their quality as I've never actually been to Mexico to compare.

Best Tex-Mex I've ever had was in Flower Mound at a class for Stryker Surgery. The instructor was a local, former Texas Tech football player under Leach, and knew all of the best spots. We hit both Gabriela and Sofia's and Mena's in town. Both excellent. 

For Jamaican,  when I was in Norcross for Mar Cor orientation,  I somehow lucked up and stumbled upon a hole in the wall authentic Jamaican restaurant in Duluth that served jerk chicken that floored me. None of that sweet crap you'd find at Bahama Breeze.

Also in Duluth, a restaurant that specialized exclusively in Mexican seafood that was simply amazing. Las Costas Nayaritas.

Can not imagine Mexican food being better anywhere than a few "authentic" restaurants we have frequented across Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi recently. In common is great service and prices. BTW, for best steak in Panama City FL visit Los Antojitos  in the Saint Andrews historic area.     

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Quality derail.

Can't speak for authentic Mexican. We do have some decent Mexican restaurants here in Central Alabama, but I cant speak to their quality as I've never actually been to Mexico to compare.

Best Tex-Mex I've ever had was in Flower Mound at a class for Stryker Surgery. The instructor was a local, former Texas Tech football player under Leach, and knew all of the best spots. We hit both Gabriela and Sofia's and Mena's in town. Both excellent. 

For Jamaican,  when I was in Norcross for Mar Cor orientation,  I somehow lucked up and stumbled upon a hole in the wall authentic Jamaican restaurant in Duluth that served jerk chicken that floored me. None of that sweet crap you'd find at Bahama Breeze.

Also in Duluth, a restaurant that specialized exclusively in Mexican seafood that was simply amazing. Las Costas Nayaritas.

Duluth is filthy rich in authentic ethnic food. Especially Korean but really anything. As for Jamaican in the Atlanta metro, you can find it anywhere. I could even get amazing meat patties at my coffee shop in East Atlanta. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

It's like watching an Anthony Bourdain show.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Duluth is filthy rich in authentic ethnic food. Especially Korean but really anything. As for Jamaican in the Atlanta metro, you can find it anywhere. I could even get amazing meat patties at my coffee shop in East Atlanta. 

They had 2 or 3 dim sum places I wish I had gotten to. 

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's like watching an Anthony Bourdain show.

Hah. 

One of the best places I have eaten in Scotland is at the Pinehurst Hotel Lodge near the airport in Dyce. I don't even know if it is still an actual hotel. LOL But they have a small restaurant there and we would eat there for lunch. I would just have a colleague that lives there take me to all his favorite places to eat. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I lived in Atlanta about 20 yrs ago. The places to get authentic cuisine then were many, but Buford Hwy around Chamblee was a hot spot. I had lunch with some good friends of mine last year and they mentioned many of the Korean places had since picked up and moved outward. I guess they possibly ended up in Duluth. 

43 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They had 2 or 3 dim sum places I wish I had gotten to. 

Best dim sum I've ever had was in Seattle at a spot called Din Tai Fung.  So glad I was on the corporate card that night because I went to town.

14 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I lived in Atlanta about 20 yrs ago. The places to get authentic cuisine then were many, but Buford Hwy around Chamblee was a hot spot. I had lunch with some good friends of mine last year and they mentioned many of the Korean places had since picked up and moved outward. I guess they possibly ended up in Duluth. 

Speaking of Korean in the ATL....

Have any of you been to Heirloom BBQ yet?  It's a little market bbq spot near the new ballpark where 75 and 285 meet.  The way it was described to me was a Korean lady married a redneck and infused her native country's flavors into slow smoked Southern BBQ.  The description is spot on.  Very different style, but it's some LEGIT BBQ.

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Speaking of Korean in the ATL....

Have any of you been to Heirloom BBQ yet?  It's a little market bbq spot near the new ballpark where 75 and 285 meet.  The way it was described to me was a Korean lady married a redneck and infused her native country's flavors into slow smoked Southern BBQ.  The description is spot on.  Very different style, but it's some LEGIT BBQ.

No, but it sounds amazing. Korean BBQ is delicious on its own, but this would be something I'd line up to try. 

Some of the best Chinese cuisine I ever had was at a standard Hot Wok somewhere in Atlanta, but the chef was from India who had spent several years learning to cook in China. He blended some of the hotter Indian spices and styles with some of the more traditional Chinese dishes.  Good stuff. 

Archived