Biden picks Kamala Harris (plus Soccer!)

homersapien

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Awesome that you're getting an MLS team. Want to take you up on it. 

We're in year 2 of having a USL championship team here in Birmingham and love it, especially since they're awesome. Went to 10 home games last year (Sadie got to be an anthem buddy in several) and got to see them make the playoffs in year 1 of their existence as a club. 

They're on a tear this year too, but we haven't gone to any games for obvious reasons. Leading the group. They saved a point tonight on a 93rd minute goal after having a player sent off in the 80th and surrendering one shortly thereafter. It was awesome. Keeper sent forward on a corner in the 93rd minute got the assist. 

Sweet!  Anytime you want, hit me up for a game here.  Can't freaking wait for next season to get here (ya know, if people are allowed in and all).

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Total sidebar, but I scored season tickets to Austin FC starting next year.  Know you're a soccer guy so if you ever happen to be in town, hit me up and be my guest for a match.

Ahem.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Ahem.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Offer open to you too bud

NO THEYRE MINE NOW

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Offer open to you too bud

Thanks, and just messing with you, of course. But it's awesome that you guys got a club and whenever my Five Stripes make it there, I hope like hell I can go. I haven't yet had a chance to even consider road games because life, but as the kids get a little older and lord willing the pandemic gets under control, I hope to visit numerous cities and their stadiums. Austin is obviously high on that list.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks, and just messing with you, of course. But it's awesome that you guys got a club and whenever my Five Stripes make it there, I hope like hell I can go. I haven't yet had a chance to even consider road games because life, but as the kids get a little older and lord willing the pandemic gets under control, I hope to visit numerous cities and their stadiums. Austin is obviously high on that list.

Well these are my seats (with the stadium rendering) if you can ever come.  Also, there are no less than five breweries within a short walk to the stadium.

I'm stoked to get to ATL for a game once people are allowed to do stuff again.  Atmosphere looks amazing.

IMG_20200811_102418.jpg

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well these are my seats (with the stadium rendering) if you can ever come.  Also, there are no less than five breweries within a short walk to the stadium.

I'm stoked to get to ATL for a game once people are allowed to do stuff again.  Atmosphere looks amazing.

IMG_20200811_102418.jpg

Oh man, amazing seats. And I love that stadium design. Shade + open corners... I'm really into being able to see outside the stadium. The big window at the Benz is fantastic, and I love seeing the natural light when the Cowboys play at home, etc. 

I don't live in ATL anymore but if you ever plan on going, let me know. Just one more arrow in the quiver for calling in a hall pass and hopping on the interstate. The first game I was supposed to go to this season was scheduled for the day after they announced the season postponement. 

Hell yes to the breweries, and about 150 tacos, and about that many lbs of brisket and sausage. 

On 8/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, kevon67 said:

Tearing Biden down at debate now sings his praises🙄.........do agree with dub above as its his best chance..........still a hold your nose election all over again.

Honestly, is this a new thing?  George H.W. Bush derided Reagan's economic plans as "voodoo economics" during the 1980 Republican primary.  Hell, Ted Cruz listened to Trump call Ted's wife ugly and his father a murderer then turned around and became one of his most loyal bootlickers in the Senate.

Talk about non-issues.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Honestly, is this a new thing?  George H.W. Bush derided Reagan's economic plans as "voodoo economics" during the 1980 Republican primary.  Hell, Ted Cruz listened to Trump call Ted's wife ugly and his father a murderer then turned around and became one of his most loyal bootlickers in the Senate.

Talk about non-issues.

Haven't you learned that in today's political theater, eyes are locked only to the other side of the aisle? 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh man, amazing seats. And I love that stadium design. Shade + open corners... I'm really into being able to see outside the stadium. The big window at the Benz is fantastic, and I love seeing the natural light when the Cowboys play at home, etc. 

I don't live in ATL anymore but if you ever plan on going, let me know. Just one more arrow in the quiver for calling in a hall pass and hopping on the interstate. The first game I was supposed to go to this season was scheduled for the day after they announced the season postponement. 

Hell yes to the breweries, and about 150 tacos, and about that many lbs of brisket and sausage. 

There's already talk in the supporters group I'm in to set plans for an ATL road trip whenever we play there.

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Talk about non-issues.

Never said it was new......in fact rolling eyes emoji meant to imply here we go again.

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I love when the roof is opened at the Benz. Last time Sadie and I went it was a perfect 65 degrees and sunny. Pleasant, lovely day for soccer. 

And I love that Blank makes a concerted effort to keep concessions cheap. 

Plus they won. That's a bonus. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

I love when the roof is opened at the Benz. Last time Sadie and I went it was a perfect 65 degrees and sunny. Pleasant, lovely day for soccer. 

And I love that Blank makes a concerted effort to keep concessions cheap. 

Plus they won. That's a bonus. 

Man, talk about timing it right. The roof is almost never open.

Too funny, my sister's boyfriend just brought up the concession prices there. I just nodded vigorously.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Man, talk about timing it right. The roof is almost never open.

IIRC, they opened it right before kickoff. Quite a sight to see as it opened over the course of a few minutes. Most other times it has been open and stayed thay way.

Too funny, my sister's boyfriend just brought up the concession prices there. I just nodded vigorously.

Can't complain. Sadie and I eat pretty well every time we go to the Benz for relatively cheap. Of course, I always slam a few beers over the course of the game. Pricey no matter where you are.

Part of what we love about Birmingham Legion games is that they court the food trucks in the area and they show up. They just pull up right behind the stands and there are always plenty of cheap options available. 

Now that Nashville has a team and a shiny new stadium on the way, I might have a team to follow.  I'm going to give it a chance at least.  My priest is a Tottenham Hotspur fan and has been lobbying me to give it more of a look.  I have some sort of knee-jerk aversion to not liking Atlanta sports teams outside of the Braves.  

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Now that Nashville has a team and a shiny new stadium on the way, I might have a team to follow.  I'm going to give it a chance at least.  My priest is a Tottenham Hotspur fan and has been lobbying me to give it more of a look.  I have some sort of knee-jerk aversion to not liking Atlanta sports teams outside of the Braves.  

Sports, a crowd, beers, hot dogs... it's only not fun when you really care and your team loses. My first minor league hockey game and my first NHL game were two of my favorite events ever and I'd never cared one ounce about hockey before. And I'd rather argue with Mikey than watch baseball on TV, but I love going to games. 

Totally understand you not liking Atlanta (or, insert any person and any city here) sports. Tangent alert: When I lived in Birmingham and most of my best friends had moved to Atlanta, they made me hate all things Atlanta. Something about how much they loved Atlanta vs how much I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Then I moved there and grew to love the city with all my heart. Other ATLiens have said the same. I'll never try to convince anyone it's a great city to visit, but I'd absolutely move back under the right circumstances.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sports, a crowd, beers, hot dogs... it's only not fun when you really care and your team loses. My first minor league hockey game and my first NHL game were two of my favorite events ever and I'd never cared one ounce about hockey before. And I'd rather argue with Mikey than watch baseball on TV, but I love going to games. 

Totally understand you not liking Atlanta (or, insert any person and any city here) sports. Tangent alert: When I lived in Birmingham and most of my best friends had moved to Atlanta, they made me hate all things Atlanta. Something about how much they loved Atlanta vs how much I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Then I moved there and grew to love the city with all my heart. Other ATLiens have said the same. I'll never try to convince anyone it's a great city to visit, but I'd absolutely move back under the right circumstances.

I think at least some of it is the force-feeding of Falcons games we get here under the NFL's stupid TV market rules.  No matter what other great NFC games might be on tap that day, rest assured we'll be stuck watching the Falcons play the Browns or some similarly boring matchup.  The Hawks are a non-entity.

Atlanta is fun to visit.  I have a lot of friends who live there.  I just don't any desire to be one of them.  Nashville was big enough for me and I don't even miss its traffic.  ATL traffic would be a non-starter.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think at least some of it is the force-feeding of Falcons games we get here under the NFL's stupid TV market rules.  No matter what other great NFC games might be on tap that day, rest assured we'll be stuck watching the Falcons play the Browns or some similarly boring matchup.  The Hawks are a non-entity.

Atlanta is fun to visit.  I have a lot of friends who live there.  I just don't any desire to be one of them.  Nashville was big enough for me and I don't even miss its traffic.  ATL traffic would be a non-starter.

We think about all the things in Atlanta that we love and miss and then think about the traffic and have adverse physical reactions. 

Gawd, the stupid TV market rules. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We think about all the things in Atlanta that we love and miss and then think about the traffic and have adverse physical reactions. 

Gawd, the stupid TV market rules. 

What makes me even madder about it is the arbitrary nature of it.  By the same rule you'd think we'd get more of the closest AFC team and my favorite games on CBS - the Tennessee Titans.  But noooooooo - the TV line generally stops for the Titans around Clanton and we're in Montgomery.

i see trump has started the birther thing with harris already. we are the freaking laughing stock of the world.

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i see trump has started the birther thing with harris already. we are the freaking laughing stock of the world.

And it's well deserved. Only partially because of POTUS. The far worse part is that his flock really will follow him down that road. We're already seeing it in these forums. As previously discussed, trump is just a symptom. His supporters are the disease.

A disease that, like a real virus, will just go on mindlessly attacking the body until it's dead. That we're having this discussion while a figurative pandemic is ravaging our democracy and a literal one is ravaging our health is... well... 2020 hasn't been very subtle about anything, that's for sure. 

When real leaders show up to run let me know! I'll be planning my self defense mode of operation in the meantime. 

This country is screwed!!!!! We continually back people who are horrible and have zero leadership potential. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And it's well deserved. Only partially because of POTUS. The far worse part is that his flock really will follow him down that road. We're already seeing it in these forums. As previously discussed, trump is just a symptom. His supporters are the disease.

A disease that, like a real virus, will just go on mindlessly attacking the body until it's dead. That we're having this discussion while a figurative pandemic is ravaging our democracy and a literal one is ravaging our health is... well... 2020 hasn't been very subtle about anything, that's for sure. 

That's the thing.  How can ~30+% of the electorate actually support him????

That's a hell of a lot of people.  I thing the country has been dumbing down for decades, but technology has supercharged it. 

(I know I am getting into AOM territory, but DAMN!)

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

When real leaders show up to run let me know! I'll be planning my self defense mode of operation in the meantime. 

This country is screwed!!!!! We continually back people who are horrible and have zero leadership potential. 

I submit we have a clear choice this election even if you aren't a Biden fan.

Archived