2022 4* OG/C Dayne Shor

ellitor

38 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

I can't recall if I mentioned this on here previously or not. One of my clients has a Big 12 official who I've dealt with on occasion. Before a meeting one time one of the other guys was asking him how they call certain things and what they look for and the topic of holding came up. I made a comment about DB being double-teamed and held almost every play. His response was basically he's usually the best player on the field and he's good enough that it shouldn't matter if he's held or not. That's not verbatim, but the basic gist of it was they aren't going to throw a flag on it on every single play when the player is that good. That response was surprising, but based on what we saw his senior year, definitely believable.

I believe what you're saying- especially since there's "incontrovertible video evidence"- but it makes zero sense to me.

12 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

So i think this is the first real mistake this staff has made (thats public). You have a major position of need, you have a kid who would likely be extremely loyal should he commit, you get momentum from having a 4* OT commit, but you can still sell other kids in playing time by saying “hey look Shor is hurt, we’re hoping hes back in a year or so youre probably ahead of him” (I know a coach would likely never get that specific, but you get the point). Other than 1 recruiting spot- what did you have to lose? This is an easy win. Dont make it a glaring loss

It's a mistake to not return his calls.  We might not want him, but we should at least give him a quick ring or text back b/c he's a legacy that is probably at least OK.  Even if he's a guard it's not like we don't nee those either

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

we should at least give him a quick ring or text back b/c he's a legacy that is probably at least OK

And not even for that reason. You call back because it's the right thing to do.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And not even for that reason. You call back because it's the right thing to do.

Well, you can't call every recruit that texts a coach.  

2 hours ago, Tiger1992 said:

I can't recall if I mentioned this on here previously or not. One of my clients has a Big 12 official who I've dealt with on occasion. Before a meeting one time one of the other guys was asking him how they call certain things and what they look for and the topic of holding came up. I made a comment about DB being double-teamed and held almost every play. His response was basically he's usually the best player on the field and he's good enough that it shouldn't matter if he's held or not. That's not verbatim, but the basic gist of it was they aren't going to throw a flag on it on every single play when the player is that good. That response was surprising, but based on what we saw his senior year, definitely believable.

I used to work for a fella who called Big 12 games and his response was a little different:  they were supposed to only throw the flag if it directly impacted the play.

WOW... talk about a lot of leeway.    Think for  a moment, if the receiver is jammed or held beyond the 5 yds and the QB goes to the next read,  that flag is likely never tossed unless it looks crazy bad!  He was a sideline official mostly, but he said the holding calls are rarely called unless egregious and directly impact the play, which he was saying unless the D lineman was pretty close to the QB.  

Personally, I think after those two sacks by D Brown on LSUs first drive in 2019, the officials decided they weren't calling holding.  And the LSU coaches probably said, "hold unless you get 2 flags".  And yeah, the bama OL gets a lot of leeway, IMO.  

I am not a fan of how the feedback loop works for officials.  He basically said they are graded, read the complaints, but the only thing at stake is which bowl game they go to.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Auhud08FWIW despite recruiting sites listing him as an OT AU & many teams see him as an OG. They don't think he has the quickness, feet, or athleticism to play OT. And the staff has a number of OGs higher on the board.

Thanks E. That helps understanding what theyre doing, still think they should keep up his recruitment

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Well, you can't call every recruit that texts a coach.  

He had a relationship with the school through the previous staff. That warrants a call back instead of being ghosted IMO.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I was only off by 10 schools 😂 

So to answer his question, he doesn’t know! 😝 

13 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I was only off by 10 schools 😂 

I think anything over a top 10 is obnoxious lol whatever they're having fun 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Fun - it’s like a 1 person party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm a fuddy duddy. I think anything over 5 is obnoxious. lol

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I don't see how any recruit can think he might make a list of 10 schools to go to. I guess it looks good on social media. 

But I don't know how they can eval 10 schools.

I agree, top 5 then start posting on social media. I wouldn't even retweet a guy that shows 10+ schools...

Edited by steeleagle

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Anything other than Auburn for me is the limit! I believe less is more. 😝 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't see how any recruit can think he might make a list of 10 schools to go to. I guess it looks good on social media. 

But I don't know how they can eval 10 schools.

I agree, top 5 then start posting on social media. I wouldn't even retweet a guy that shows 10+ schools...

I could pick 10 schools I considered for wrestling pretty easily. Though I agree it's a hard sell to make it sound like you've got things narrowed down at that point or that it's worth announcing. A lot of kids, I think, are really just flaunting 10 schools that offered them. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 8:07 AM, Tiger1992 said:

As a former MEAC official, that comment surprises me too. We'd discuss factors like holding behind the play and safety factors (rare in holding), but college (unlike NFL) is pretty straightforward and if you see it you call it. When I called high school ball I worked a crew w/ a former SEC official as the white hat and he had all sorts of subjective considerations for holding.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I wouldn't even retweet a guy that shows 10+ schools.

Hence why it bugs me when a thread is created on a recruit because he put us in his top 10 or 12.

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

As a former MEAC official, that comment surprises me too. We'd discuss factors like holding behind the play and safety factors (rare in holding), but college (unlike NFL) is pretty straightforward and if you see it you call it. When I called high school ball I worked a crew w/ a former SEC official as the white hat and he had all sorts of subjective considerations for holding.

I've never been an official, I just relayed what he told me.

Kids got a pretty big offer list for not playing last year due to injury and isn't wanted by the school his parents went to.

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kids got a pretty big offer list for not playing last year due to injury and isn't wanted by the school his parents went to.

@W.E.D Just remember most offers aren't committable. Most are a way to get the foot in the door for staffs to get to know better & get a closer look. To get a committable offer from most of the schools he's going to have to respond well this season coming off the shoulder injury.

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 4* OG/C Dayne Shor
12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D Just remember most offers aren't committable. Most are a way to get the foot in the door for staffs to get to know better & get a closer look. To get a committable offer from most of the schools he's going to have to respond well this season coming off the shoulder injury.

I know.

• Like 1