Jordan Rodgers Breakdown of Offense

Brad_ATX

5 minutes ago, Grumps said:

You are correct. We have no way of knowing exactly who screwed up on this play. Jordan Rogers did say that there were other plays with similar outcomes. Jordan Rogers certainly knows more about how pass protection is handled on a specific play than probably anyone on this board. Surely you agree that Jordan Rogers' guess about the cause of the breakdown is better than your guess or my guess.

He has no better idea as to who was responsible for that breakdown than you or I. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

He has no better idea as to who was responsible for that breakdown than you or I. 

He does have a better idea than you as he does this for a living and played the position.

sometimes doctors have to guess on the best course of action when there aren’t enough facts to solidify an answer. Am I going to lean to the doctor who does this for a living or some random joker on the street? 

11 minutes ago, Grumps said:

You are correct. We have no way of knowing exactly who screwed up on this play. Jordan Rogers did say that there were other plays with similar outcomes. Jordan Rogers certainly knows more about how pass protection is handled on a specific play than probably anyone on this board. Surely you agree that Jordan Rogers' guess about the cause of the breakdown is better than your guess or my guess.

That still doesn't make what Jordan Rodgers is guessing right. The only way to know for sure is someone here has heard it from within the coaching staff, that the QB and OC is TAUGHT to call out alignment, and to CALL out the change of blocking based on what the QB sees and/or the C sees while getting ready to hike the ball.

So, until then it is all a guess. I will add, as another opinion, it is hard to believe that an OC/HC does not give at least the QB an opportunity to change the blocking or get out of a certain play based on what he observes.

Lastly, we don't know if Bo is good at seeing the defense, their adjustments after breaking the huddle. Maybe he is still learning this part? Maybe, he is adjusting to Morris' scheme, his role in it as a QB?

Does anyone know if Morris allows his QB to make adjustments in blocking or play prior to snap? I surely don't..

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I am quite sure that he knows better than I do. He was a starting QB in the SEC. He certainly understands the options for protection and the responsibilities of QB and the linemen based on which option was called.

But I admit to not knowing your qualifications.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That still doesn't make what Jordan Rodgers is guessing right. The only way to know for sure is someone here has heard it from within the coaching staff, that the QB and OC is TAUGHT to call out alignment, and to CALL out the change of blocking based on what the QB sees and/or the C sees while getting ready to hike the ball.

So, until then it is all a guess. I will add, as another opinion, it is hard to believe that an OC/HC does not give at least the QB an opportunity to change the blocking or get out of a certain play based on what he observes.

Lastly, we don't know if Bo is good at seeing the defense, their adjustments after breaking the huddle. Maybe he is still learning this part? Maybe, he is adjusting to Morris' scheme, his role in it as a QB?

Does anyone know if Morris allows his QB to make adjustments in blocking or play prior to snap? I surely don't..

I completely agree that we don't know if Rodgers is guessing right. His guess is more educated than ours, though.

This is strictly meant as a joke: All of your credibility was lost when you said "hike" the ball! 🤣

It's kind of a silly argument, going back and forth about who knows what about exactly what is going on in our offense. The takeaway from Jordan's analysis, is that regardless of who's responsibility it is, we aren't executing on offense. We aren't picking up free blockers. And, we aren't utilizing our personnel, at least on this specific play, in a way that best utilizes their skill set.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I am quite sure that he knows better than I do. He was a starting QB in the SEC. He certainly understands the options for protection and the responsibilities of QB and the linemen based on which option was called.

But I admit to not knowing your qualifications.

I’ve spoken to someone close to the program who should know and he says the protection call can be changed on the field. I don’t know for sure either, but I’m not the one criticizing based on a guess. 

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

I completely agree that we don't know if Rodgers is guessing right. His guess is more educated than ours, though.

This is strictly meant as a joke: All of your credibility was lost when you said "hike" the ball! 🤣

lol. Sorry. I cant't believe autocorrect didn't change it for me to "snap". I guess I am telling my age...:)

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

He does have a better idea than you as he does this for a living and played the position.

sometimes doctors have to guess on the best course of action when there aren’t enough facts to solidify an answer. Am I going to lean to the doctor who does this for a living or some random joker on the street? 

I’m going to not make a criticism based on a guess. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It's kind of a silly argument, going back and forth about who knows what about exactly what is going on in our offense. The takeaway from Jordan's analysis, is that regardless of who's responsibility it is, we aren't executing on offense. We aren't picking up free blockers. And, we aren't utilizing our personnel, at least on this specific play, in a way that best utilizes their skill set.

It is clear we made many mistakes on our protection and those need to be fixed. Rodgers doesn’t know the skill set of our players as well as Chad does. Did you know we called this same play at another point in this game? Do you know what happened on that play? 

41 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

It is clear we made many mistakes on our protection and those need to be fixed. Rodgers doesn’t know the skill set of our players as well as Chad does. Did you know we called this same play at another point in this game? Do you know what happened on that play? 

Is your point that we did a good job of getting players in a position to be successful against Georgia?

3 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

But this specific criticism is not based on what you saw. It is based on what you guess you saw. And I can call out criticism that is based on a guess. You have no idea on this play if the protection was screwed up because of a coach or because of a mental mistake by a player or because someone may not have heard correctly the protection that was called. We all see there was a breakdown in protection, but none of us know why. Just say we had too many breakdowns in protection in the game and the coaches must get it corrected going forward if you want to be fair. 

I do agree we played poorly on both sides of the ball in Athens. But just criticism needs to be based on facts and not a guess. 

The problem is this happens with our offense too often.. so let’s “guess” that Brahms is allowed to call out protections.. he sure has missed a lot this season... let’s “guess” that Nix is also allowed to do this.. he sure has missed a lot. Why is that? 2 guys on the field that we are “guessing” are allowed to make changes yet neither of them do...If they are allowed to do that and continuously miss making the adjustments why are they out there?  once again I stand by what I said earlier and I can criticize it and I can blame the head coach for it.. and I can believe an analyst who has more credibility on the subject. mistakes happen on the field but when the same mistakes keep happening and no one is getting better.. and it is not getting corrected... it is no longer guessing.. 

7 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

The problem is this happens with our offense too often.. so let’s “guess” that Brahms is allowed to call out protections.. he sure has missed a lot this season... let’s “guess” that Nix is also allowed to do this.. he sure has missed a lot. Why is that? 2 guys on the field that we are “guessing” are allowed to make changes yet neither of them do...If they are allowed to do that and continuously miss making the adjustments why are they out there?  once again I stand by what I said earlier and I can criticize it and I can blame the head coach for it.. and I can believe an analyst who has more credibility on the subject. mistakes happen on the field but when the same mistakes keep happening and no one is getting better.. and it is not getting corrected... it is no longer guessing.. 

Protection busts happened vs UGA and it is clearly the responsibility of the head coach. Just leave it there and quit with the guessing. That is all I’m saying. 

I have lost so much hope that I think they are allowed to audible. The problem is we are just that bad and that’s the best we can do. With the combination of talent and level of coaching received, that’s the best we got.

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

Disagree.

Hearing this from you is even more concerning. You are my go to for truth and fact versus rumor. Wow wow wow

8 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

The problem is Rodgers is guessing this is the case and so are you. I’ve been told differently by someone much closer to the program than Rodgers. 

The questions you are asking people how do they know....how many times since Gus been here have you seen any of the 6 or 7 qb's audible plays? None? Well what conclusion does that tell you?

How about you stop quoting me, this isn't the political board and you clearly don't know what the hell you talk about. The film doesn't lie and if you knew anything you would know the first thing a qb and center would do is look over a defense. I don't care that you like Gus. I really mean that I don't care so you writing me is a waste of time. You would do better talking to your like minded demographic. Me and you are worlds apart. I don't like you. I don't like how every time a black person is killed you try to explain it and make it right. Please don't talk to me. I'm being nice, I see you think you are saying substantial stuff but it's very dumb to me. I'm admitting tobeing biased and since o don't like you I will say mean things so we don't go back and forth on the board let's just not interact

Thanks!

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Cam told gruden as much and stidham did too. This has never been a complicated offense. And if Bo isn't good at it then that's a problem as well. But that first read is literally what a high school QB would do. There wasn't anybody else to notice. Bo was the golden child. Been playing football his entire life. 

18 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

It’s coaching. Our WR coach is apparently a great guy, everyone loves him, good recruiter, AU to the core.....which is great. but we continue to run the most predictable, high school routes. And the OL coach is just not up to the task.   It’s just Mickey Mouse, period. Our athleticism allows us to win against lesser competition. But  for gods sake, the record versus LSU/GA/Bama speaks volumes. We just need to make major changes. As to the question “who could we get?” the answer has become “any aggressive up-and-comer”.  Really need an overhaul. Just clearly a coaching problem. Obvious and clear-as-day. 

What routes is ran has absolutely nothing to do with a wr coach

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

The questions you are asking people how do they know....how many times since Gus been here have you seen any of the 6 or 7 qb's audible plays? None? Well what conclusion does that tell you?

How about you stop quoting me, this isn't the political board and you clearly don't know what the hell you talk about. The film doesn't lie and if you knew anything you would know the first thing a qb and center would do is look over a defense. I don't care that you like Gus. I really mean that I don't care so you writing me is a waste of time. You would do better talking to your like minded demographic. Me and you are worlds apart. I don't like you. I don't like how every time a black person is killed you try to explain it and make it right. Please don't talk to me. I'm being nice, I see you think you are saying substantial stuff but it's very dumb to me. I'm admitting tobeing biased and since o don't like you I will say mean things so we don't go back and forth on the board let's just not interact

Thanks!

Prayers lifted and War Eagle!

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Is your point that we did a good job of getting players in a position to be successful against Georgia?

What happened the other time we called the same play was Nix hit Tank on a play that would have gone for a TD if Nix had put some air under it. It went for 11 or 12 yards as it was down the sideline because the defender got a finger on it. 

Not at all. My point is nobody knows why we had a protection bust on this play. Just say it is Malzahn’s responsibility to make sure that doesn’t happen and leave it at that as opposed to guessing. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Cam told gruden as much and stidham did too. This has never been a complicated offense. And if Bo isn't good at it then that's a problem as well. But that first read is literally what a high school QB would do. There wasn't anybody else to notice. Bo was the golden child. Been playing football his entire life. 

Stidham said Malzahn’s offense was more complex than the offense he played in at Baylor. 

Dude it was a point made in the media Stidham would be able to make checks at the line and change protections before his final season. He did it a few times in the first game and never again. 

This isn't a guess. As Cole said this has been put on Cam, Stidham, and now Bo. Whether ESPN guys break it down, they QBs are directly asked during the NFL draft process, or the media makes a story about it. The QBs are robots in this system. 

If you have a Cam Newton or a Nick Marshall who can bail you out of the dumb play calls within the intentionally dumb system by out-athleting everyone then it makes Gus look good. When you gotta rely on a QB diagnosing what is actually happening once the ball is snapped the system does NOT put the players in a position to succeed and the leader on the field is given no flexibility in mitigating the damage pre-snap. 

Archived