It's official: Auburn needs to fire Gus despite buyout

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

It's official: Auburn needs to fire Gus Malzahn despite buyout

Brian Stultz October 17, 2020

4-5 minutes

Clemson and Alabama still at the top of the Amway Coaches Poll

USA TODAY Sports' Paul Myerberg breaks down the latest Amway Coaches Poll.

Volume 0%

Hide video

There are no ifs, ands or buts about it after Saturday’s embarrassing loss to South Carolina in Columbia: Gus Malzahn has got to go, and for the sake of Auburn football, that decision needs to happen sooner than later.

Listen, Malzahn has brought some good times to the Plains over the past eight years but those are extremely few and far between. He was the talk of college football in 2013 as he led the Tigers to the BCS National Championship Game but has yet to lose less than four games in a season less. His offense, which was what he built his reputation on, became so stale that even he realized it was time for a change. Enter Chad Morris and the Tigers look even more pathetic offensively.

Quarterback who have entered the system as true freshman have rarely succeeded. Bo Nix, a 5-star quarterback who somehow won the SEC Freshman of the Year last year despite an up-and-down season, has regressed in his second season. Joey Gatewood transferred to Kentucky. Malik Willis has looked like the playmaker he should have been for the Tigers while playing for Liberty.

Jarrett Stidham even took a step back in his second season under Malzahn, going from a sure-fire first-round pick to the fourth round. Nick Marshall, possibly sent from the heavens above to make Malzahn’s career take off, wasn’t a true quarterback so not even Gus’ tutelage could screw him up.

Jeremy Johnson. Sean White. The names start to pile up.

Yet Malzahn will never admit that maybe he isn’t the right person for the job. He’s still the smartest man in the room despite opposing defensive coordinators and coaches now laughing at him. Heck, the Tigers realistically should be 1-3 at best.

And it’s not like he doesn’t have the talent to work with. Despite bringing in some top-10 recruiting classes during his time, the Tigers have stayed mediocre. It would be nice to see a real coach — maybe a Billy Napier, Hugh Freeze, or anyone other than Malzahn — have a shot coaching these players. It has become tiresome watching the same things happen over and over on the field.

This might be Malzahn’s worst team yet. There are absolutely no strengths to this team besides maybe the leg of Anders Carlson and the running ability of Tank Bigsby. In a moment that we haven’t seen much on Auburn sidelines in a some time, two of the top offensive players, Nix and Seth Williams, got into a heated argument that Chad Morris tried his best to stop but, like his play-calling, was awful at doing.

For all the Malzahn supporters out there, I ask this simple question: do you think he is going to make this program any better than it is right now? My answer comes in the form of two words: heck no.

But the buyout, you say? What about the $21 million that Auburn must pay for Malzahn to be fired? One, we have the alumni ready to donate that money to get rid of him. Two, the hottest coaches on the market are going to be hired soon in this weird year. Three, do you really want to watch THIS for another season or, possibly, another two seasons?

So let’s thank Malzahn for what he has accomplished at Auburn. He brought us the Kick Six and the Miracle at Jordan-Hare, a SEC championship and three wins over Alabama. Yet he has also brought a 7-16 record against the school’s three biggest rivals, losses against mediocre teams in bowl games and the fact that no one realistically expects Auburn to compete for a SEC championship anymore.

Let that last line sink in. Let it sink in that while Malzahn has been watching, a lot of other SEC teams have improved in strides. Let it sink in that once defenses caught on to his system, Malzahn refused to adjust until completely giving up control to a coach who led Arkansas to exactly zero wins in two seasons as a head coach.

Writing all of this has sickened me as much as the Tigers play on the field the past three weeks. That says a lot.

Time for the Gus Bus to leave Auburn. That departure shouldn’t be delayed any longer.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The previous PTB at Auburn got us in this situation with Gustavo. Now the current PTB must find a way to get us out of it NOW not next year or the year after. If they don't they need to be fired! 😠

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

One, we have the alumni ready to donate that money to get rid of him.

We've been assured that the money is there and has been there since way back in 2016, it's there just waiting.  Money is not the issue.

Can't say I disagree. I really like all other aspects of the football program. CGM is an awesome person and runs a clean program but he is not good enough as a head coach. I wish him well, good luck in your next experiment 

culture change need to be made as well, what does Tommy and Gus have in common that chiz did't? mind you, chiz was a national championship head coach and only lasted 4years?!?!

3 hours ago, keesler said:

We've been assured that the money is there and has been there since way back in 2016, it's there just waiting.  Money is not the issue.

If the money is there, what is the holdup? What are the AD's thoughts on what's going on? Is Green being silent or being muffled? I've read a few posts where he has Pis..d off some of the money men. I would like to know (as a lot of us would) just what position the AD holds right now and where he stands on our HC, and his plans for the future of Auburn Football. Does he feel like he's maybe Custer at the Little Big Horn, or is the Cavalry on the way? 

8 minutes ago, cctiger said:

If the money is there, what is the holdup? What are the AD's thoughts on what's going on? Is Green being silent or being muffled? I've read a few posts where he has Pis..d off some of the money men. I would like to know (as a lot of us would) just what position the AD holds right now and where he stands on our HC, and his plans for the future of Auburn Football. Does he feel like he's maybe Custer at the Little Big Horn, or is the Cavalry on the way? 

Perhaps the question is: Is the money there on principal or in the bank? That could be the consideration. It may also be that Allen Green is much more of a patient AD than the money men want him to be. That's not always a bad thing. But ultimately there's a lot that is going on behind closed doors that we won't be privy too and I don't see Allen Green airing out laundry or publicly addressing his thoughts even with veiled language. We're just gonna have to watch it play out I'm afraid...

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Do we know if the buyout will drop after this year? Assuming we finish it that is?

Drops by about 7 mil ea year for Gus’ contract

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Drops by about 7 mil ea year for Gus’ contract

My concern was that players’ eligibility is being frozen. So I hope Gus’s buyout isn’t too. I shudder to think about if we can’t finish the season.

18 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Do we know if the buyout will drop after this year? Assuming we finish it that is?

Gus' Buyout - He'd have to get a show cause from the NCAA or pull a Petrino/Freeze sexcapade to release Auburn from paying him his $$.

YEAR    Salary    Remaining     Buyout (December)

2018     $6.7m    $42.3m         $31.7m

2019     $6.8        $35.5            $26.6

2020     $6.9       $28.6            $21.5

2021      $7.0        $21.6            $16.2

2022     $7.1         $14.5            $10.9

2023     $7.2        $7.3              $5.5

2024     $7.3         $0.0             $0.0

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus' Buyout - He'd have to get a show cause from the NCAA or pull a Petrino/Freeze sexcapade to release Auburn from paying him his $$.

So is the exact date the 1st or 31st? If the buyout drops again after this year 2022 is the latest I think he stays here—buyout will be EXTREMELY manageable at that point.

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

My concern was that players’ eligibility is being frozen. So I hope Gus’s buyout isn’t too. I shudder to think about if we can’t finish the season.

as already mentioned in another thread Tennessee has fired their D-line coach so any talk of college coaches (HC included) being safe this year would seem to be moot

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

So is the exact date the 1st or 31st? If the buyout drops again after this year 2022 is the latest I think he stays here—buyout will be EXTREMELY manageable at that point.

21.5 isnt too bad for it to happen this year assuming rumors are true about the money being there i've also heard rumors about it being there but have also heard folks want to put money towards facilities and other needs unless gus just shows signs of losing the team

He will be let go at the end of the end of the season, and would not be surprised if he’s been told this. Does the buyout drop on Dec 31st? It would be wise to wait until it does as this season is a wash anyway.

Gus would probably be very successful in a Sun Belt or American Athletic Conference.

10 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

He will be let go at the end of the end of the season, and would not be surprised if he’s been told this. Does the buyout drop on Dec 31st? It would be wise to wait until it does as this season is a wash anyway.

Gus would probably be very successful in a Sun Belt or American Athletic Conference.

The buyout will drop from $26.6mm to $21.5mm at year-end.  

Gus would do wonderful at a lower level program, where expectations are lower and competition is down around his capability level.  SEC P5 elite level program, and he's over his head.

The current amended contract with Gus changed each contract year to begin on each Jan 1 and end on each December 31.  Therefore, the buyout changes on each Jan 1.  

Just to add, Gus does NOT have a mitigation requirement and AU has NO right to any offset.  He will receive every dime of his buyout unless he is fired for cause.  

Good work by his agent and worthless work by Leath and Harbert. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Unless my math is off, it would cost us more to keep him another year, and fire him after next season. Of course that savings of 7.0 would be offset by the cost of the replacement. 

What an imbecilic deal Leath left us with. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Wow. That is just crazy when you see it written down in front of you like that. 

Archived