Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Jboy said on his pod earlier in the day that if AU talked to him that he thought Lane would use it for PR. On the other hand he said Lane may see that there are only a few places in the SEC where you have a real chance to win it all and AU is one of those places

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bodagetta said:

I don't believe Auburn folks are going to Mississippi in the middle of the night to get trolled by Lane...maybe we get a coach out of this, maybe not. But I would have to believe some serious negotiations are taking place tonight.

I’d bet on it. Boy if it happens Ole Miss is going to be Ole Pissed. 

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

There are still a lot of good doors left. Napier, Elliot, Campbell, Sark, Bobo. Will Auburn open one of them is the question. 

You guys catch that last name? Jkjk 

I’ve voiced my opinion on some of these, but one of these is clearly not like the others...🤣🤣🤣

Now that we have several threads going on our own speculation and individual desires for the next head coach, I wanted to make another insider (only) thread.

By all means, anybody can comment. But I would like to ask for comments to either be insiders providing nuggets, or responses to those nuggets. No josh moon or josh pate or jboy or jay g tate or j hoke (why do all Auburn-related names have to start with 'J'?!?) takes. We can all look those up on our own.

I know that we DO have some people plugged in on the board, and really would like to hear what they are hearing directly, or second hand.

WDE!

5 minutes ago, bodagetta said:

I don't believe Auburn folks are going to Mississippi in the middle of the night to get trolled by Lane...maybe we get a coach out of this, maybe not. But I would have to believe some serious negotiations are taking place tonight.

I would believe a second trip late night would be equal to of having a sign contract by Auburn's side.

Serious question: Why do people view Kiffin as such a better coach than Gus? Gus actually has a higher career winning percentage (0.670 vs. 0.635)? Gus was an offensive genius much like Kiffin is. Could the difference be that Kiffin has never stayed somewhere long enough for his offense to get stale like Gus did?

Not a Gus defender at all, but I'm just curious what all the differences people see are that they think will make him more successful at Auburn than Gus

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Isn’t there an airport in Oxford? Why Holly springs? 

Halfway between Sexton and Kiffin?

So FTR some ole miss fan posted a rivals screenshot of JGT saying that AU has not contacted Kiffin or Sexton and doesn’t think at the moment that they have any plan to. Take that FWIW

4 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

Serious question: Why do people view Kiffin as such a better coach than Gus? Gus actually has a higher career winning percentage (0.670 vs. 0.635)? Gus was an offensive genius much like Kiffin is. Could the difference be that Kiffin has never stayed somewhere long enough for his offense to get stale like Gus did?

Not a Gus defender at all, but I'm just curious what all the differences people see are that they think will make him more successful at Auburn than Gus

Lane needs to finally have a big job and settle down. 

11 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Jimmy Sexton is under an hour away from Ole Miss.

Just sayin.

See this is the logical stuff we need. 

Lane would only use us for a raise. Sexton? That’s some negotiation 

1 minute ago, mdp5150 said:

I have no idea why the plane is there, just FYI.  Could just be a flight student trollin us.

13 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

Because he went to the Nick Saban Center For Coaches Who Can't Coach Good And Who Also Want To Learn How To Do Other Things Good Too and people think that means he somehow won't be an underachieving asshat

3 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

The thought of Auburn negotiating with Jimmy Sexton is enough to make my palms sweaty

Here is a name that not many people are talking about but seems to be a winner and a great offensive mind, Lance Leipold of Buffalo.  After successfully spending time as a graduate assistant and assistant coach he was hired as head coach of Division 3 Wisconsin Whitewater where he was hugely successful, compiling a record of 109-6, winning 6 national championships out of 8 years there, won coach of the year 6 times, and reached 100 career victories faster than any coach ever, period.  He was hired at Buffalo in 2017, a perennial losing program, and has turned them into an offensive machine and winning program.  In his first year they won 6 games, the 4th most in a season since Buffalo joined the FBS in 1999.  He won MAC coach of the year in 2018, won the east division, had ten wins, and set the school record for offense with over 5800 yards.  In 2019 the Buffalo defense ranked 7th nationally, they had 12 players make the all MAC team, had two running backs run for more than 1000 yards, won a bowl game, and finished 8-5.  This year they are undefeated at 5-0, have scored tons of points every game, and have the 9th ranked offense in all of college football with only 5 games.  The offense averages over 500 yards a game, over 8 yards per play, and has scored 33 offensive touchdowns.  OK enough with the stats, just wanted to throw that out there.  He isn't proven on the big stage by any means, but I think his record thus far shows that there is some serious potential there.

1 minute ago, AuburnFTW said:

The thought of Auburn negotiating with Jimmy Sexton is enough to make my palms sweaty

Just think how Sexton feels.

13 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

People say Gus didn’t adapt his offense. That’s BS. While he made almost no changes between 2013 and 2016, the passing scheme changed substantially over the years since. 

Here’s the problem though. His adaptations didn’t amount to substantial statistical improvements on offense. Kiffin has changed his offense a lot. He was once a pro set guy. He now runs something much closer to a spread. His changes have worked really well where Gus’s haven’t worked as well. 

Kiffin is a better offensive mind than Gus was. I still do have questions about him though (can he recruit well against Saban and Kirby), and, for reasons that I’ve stated previously (personality/image reasons), am not a fan of him being the next coach. 

4 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

I agree! We’re going to be paying $20 a drink at the stadium for the last Sexton contract 🙄 

Archived