Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Maybe it’s just me but the Kiffin thing seems outlandish. Seems like a total pipe dream IMO. 

I wouldn’t be mad at his hire because I think he’s the right amount of ridiculous that we need at Auburn. Just don’t see it coming to fruition. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

#stopsteele #stopthesteele

I don’t understand how people can be all up in their feelings about a coach’s past (freeze,Kiffin) but love Bruce Pearl. Does it make sense to you?

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Maybe it’s just me but the Kiffin thing seems outlandish. Seems like a total pipe dream IMO. 

I wouldn’t be mad at his hire because I think he’s the right amount of ridiculous that we need at Auburn. Just don’t see it coming to fruition. 

I don't know how the numbers shake out, but there's recent precedent for stealing cocky bastards from Oxford. 

Just wanted to pop in and put out a quick LOL on Muschamp's name being mentioned a few pages ago. They actually managed to come up with a name that made me think hiring still might not be so bad. And i didn't think that was possible 

giphy.gif

I am tired of hearing people say we are the laughing stock of college football. South Carolina was interested in Scott Satterfield but he decided to re-up with Louisville and pull his name out of the hat for the USCe job. So they hired Beamer. This happens in most searches. So what. Everyone things they have inside scoop which is creating more angst. To my knowledge...the committee has not stated their details and neither have the big alums. Every school has big alums invested in decisions. Bama does too. Remember when Nick was hired. The first thing he did was threaten the very alums that helped get him hired. Name another coach that could pull that one off? Maybe Urban. Let’s settle and let the process play out. We are creating the noise. 

Just now, wcware said:

I don’t understand how people can be all up in their feelings about a coach’s past (freeze,Kiffin) but love Bruce Pearl. Does it make sense to you?

I've got no issues with Lane's past- honestly not sure what issues somebody might have in terms of off-field stuff- but there is a huge difference between Freeze and Pearl. Pearl's transgressions are all competitive in nature. He's never given the first reason to question his morality as a family man and leader of men. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know how the numbers shake out, but there's recent precedent for stealing cocky bastards from Oxford. 

For sure, and I’d be done for it. Something about it just feels unrealistic to me for some reason. Like he wouldn’t be interested, not that we couldn’t beat out Ole Miss. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Just wanted to pop in and put out a quick LOL on Muschamp's name being mentioned a few pages ago. They actually managed to come up with a name that made me think hiring still might not be so bad. And i didn't think that was possible 

giphy.gif

Almost as bad as Dan Quinn 

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

Probably because the big money men A. Don't care about basketball and B. Will do anything to discredit actual viable qualified candidates to push their agenda forward of kevin effin steele.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The problem is the old white crusty dudes in charge at Auburn. They should be looking for the guy that the students relate with. The person that would give you the best experience while you are away at college. Not the guy that has the most in common with 75 year old super conservative white millionaire.

19 minutes ago, wcware said:

Probably not going to happen. We are the joke of college football. Until they prove me wrong, this is now what I think of Auburn University 

if we wanted Napier why in the world would he not come. Give me a break. this is exact kind of hire we need. someone hungry for a major coaching job offer. 4x's his salary and he aint gonna play us as part of a contract negotiation. he's young and recruits in the area. 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

For sure, and I’d be done for it. Something about it just feels unrealistic to me for some reason. Like he wouldn’t be interested, not that we couldn’t beat out Ole Miss. 

That's fair. And that's my 2nd biggest concern about how things have shaken out this week. Just as @Barnacle predicted, this has turned into a PR mess with dirty laundry getting aired and now Auburn looks just like the snake pit that many have suspected for years. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Probably because the big money men A. Don't care about basketball and B. Will do anything to discredit actual viable qualified candidates to push their agenda forward of kevin effin steele.

It’s sickening. Students need to stand up!

Here's my qualifications for the next head coach. IS yore name kevin steele? If not? Great!!! But seriously I'm so desperate at this point I'm willing to bargain with anyone but steele!!! Lol. SMH embarrassing we can't have a legit real coaching search to find the best freaking candidate!!!

1 minute ago, shabby said:

if we wanted Napier why in the world would he not come. Give me a break. this is exact kind of hire we need. someone hungry for a major coaching job offer. 4x's his salary and he aint gonna play us as part of a contract negotiation. he's young and recruits in the area. 

I love the idea. That’s why it won’t happen

Just now, wcware said:

The problem is the old white crusty dudes in charge at Auburn. They should be looking for the guy that the students relate with. The person that would give you the best experience while you are away at college. Not the guy that has the most in common with 75 year old super conservative white millionaire.

^church^

Buuuuuuuuut it's their money and they're going to spend on themselves, not on you and me. 

7 hours ago, BHDAU1 said:

Here is a name that not many people are talking about but seems to be a winner and a great offensive mind, Lance Leipold of Buffalo.  After successfully spending time as a graduate assistant and assistant coach he was hired as head coach of Division 3 Wisconsin Whitewater where he was hugely successful, compiling a record of 109-6, winning 6 national championships out of 8 years there, won coach of the year 6 times, and reached 100 career victories faster than any coach ever, period.  He was hired at Buffalo in 2017, a perennial losing program, and has turned them into an offensive machine and winning program.  In his first year they won 6 games, the 4th most in a season since Buffalo joined the FBS in 1999.  He won MAC coach of the year in 2018, won the east division, had ten wins, and set the school record for offense with over 5800 yards.  In 2019 the Buffalo defense ranked 7th nationally, they had 12 players make the all MAC team, had two running backs run for more than 1000 yards, won a bowl game, and finished 8-5.  This year they are undefeated at 5-0, have scored tons of points every game, and have the 9th ranked offense in all of college football with only 5 games.  The offense averages over 500 yards a game, over 8 yards per play, and has scored 33 offensive touchdowns.  OK enough with the stats, just wanted to throw that out there.  He isn't proven on the big stage by any means, but I think his record thus far shows that there is some serious potential there.

I don’t think our fan base would have the patience to establish their program, they need more immediate results and big name hires across the board.

4 minutes ago, wcware said:

Which is why I think Tony elliot can have the best interview in the world. Knock it out of the park. Everyone is blown away. But Harbert and yella man are like nahhhhhhh steele is still the man!!! 😡😠🤬😤

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Which is why I think Tony elliot can have the best interview in the world. Knock it out of the park. Everyone is blown away. But Harbert and yella man are like nahhhhhhh steele is sti the man!!! 😡😠🤬😤

It’s disgusting. It’s filthy. It’s the only thing stopping us from excellence 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which is why I think Tony elliot can have the best interview in the world. Knock it out of the park. Everyone is blown away. But Harbert and yella man are like nahhhhhhh steele is sti the man!!! 😡😠🤬😤

I’m beginning to figure out why Tubs got the job and  was around here so long. He’s right up yella fellas alley personality wise. 

Just now, wcware said:

@GwillMac6I wasn’t sure who Tony Elliot was and I looked him up. Now I SEE why they won’t hire him!!! Dirty SOBs

Yuuuuup. Not redneck and awww shucks hillbilly enough for them. SMH.

Archived