Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

The problem is the old white crusty dudes in charge at Auburn. They should be looking for the guy that the students relate with. The person that would give you the best experience while you are away at college. Not the guy that has the most in common with 75 year old super conservative white millionaire.

THIS! What’s been so odd to me is to read comments where posters are addressing concerns with a candidate’s personal past. I could not care less about any of that and Auburn shouldn’t either. People make mistakes and are able to repent for their past. So long as it doesn’t affect their job performance it shouldn’t concern any of us. NCAA violations are one thing, whether Freeze made up with his wife or whether Sark is going to AA meetings ain’t got nothing to do with Auburn IMO. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which is why I think Tony elliot can have the best interview in the world. Knock it out of the park. Everyone is blown away. But Harbert and yella man are like nahhhhhhh steele is still the man!!! 😡😠🤬😤

They want someone they own and not what is best for Auburn football, plain and simple.

I hope every recruit in the country see’s what is happening with this coaching search. I hope they re-evaluate what’s best for their future. As of right now until I see culture change my child would not play football at Auburn 

If there are truly this many issues with our PTB, then we are screwed and will never really be great again until they are gone and there is new blood.  Doesn't give me hope.

What I hope will happen is that they interview Tony Elliot and Napier and hire whoever is better. I'm still hoping these guys can turn around this coaching search

Just now, AuburnFTW said:

What I hope will happen is that they interview Tony Elliot and Napier and hire whoever is better. I'm still hoping these guys can turn around this coaching search

I believe both could do the job. Neither will probably get a look 

13 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Maybe it’s just me but the Kiffin thing seems outlandish. Seems like a total pipe dream IMO. 

I wouldn’t be mad at his hire because I think he’s the right amount of ridiculous that we need at Auburn. Just don’t see it coming to fruition. 

You know, after sleeping on it, I agree. I dunno how successful he'd be, but he's clearly learned since UT and USC.

But you know what? As much as I hated getting scored on, that play this year where the WR got behind the DB and housed it and he hucked the clipboard 40 feet in the air before the play was over...I didn't hate that. I see some "fan" in that. That exuberance when a play just "worked". 

Honestly, I was glad he was back in the SEC because I think he is legitimately the only person on the planet that can really and truly get under Saban's skin. Saban is the best at what he does and you have to respect it, but it's just so business-like and buttoned-up. Admit it - we all like Bama losing, but seeing Saban fall on his face adds more than a little bit if icing to the cake.

I think Kiffen is the anti-Saban. The anti-PTB.  Exuberant. Has fun with it. Doesn't take himself seriously. He is straight out of The Breakfast Club, and Saban is Paul Gleason. 

He reminds me a little of some of the young baseball players, like Ronald Acuña Jr or Fernando Tatis that had a swagger borne of realizing they're getting paid to be involved in playing games and doing so at a high level. 

Anyway. No clue if we get him. But if we do, even if we keep winning at the same clip for a bit, there's no doubt it'd be entertaining. 

Just now, wcware said:

I believe both could do the job. Neither will probably get a look 

They gotta look at them though, right???? It seems impossible to stick your head head that far down in the sand... 

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

But you know what? As much as I hated getting scored on, that play this year where the WR got behind the DB and housed it and he hucked the clipboard 40 feet in the air before the play was over...I didn't hate that. I see some "fan" in that. That exuberance when a play just "worked". 

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I think Kiffen is the anti-Saban. The anti-PTB.  Exuberant. Has fun with it. Doesn't take himself seriously. He is straight out of The Breakfast Club, and Saban is Paul Gleason. 

He reminds me a little of some of the young baseball players, like Ronald Acuña Jr or Fernando Tatis that had a swagger borne of realizing they're getting paid to be involved in playing games and doing so at a high level. 

Imagine how much players enjoy playing for a guy like that.

7 minutes ago, wcware said:

I hope every recruit in the country see’s what is happening with this coaching search. I hope they re-evaluate what’s best for their future. As of right now until I see culture change my child would not play football at Auburn 

You are responding to rumors and people who think they know what is happening. Guide your child as you will but you are fooling yourself if you think other programs don’t have internal struggles and alums with big $$$s that guide decisions.

26 minutes ago, wcware said:

The problem is the old white crusty dudes in charge at Auburn. They should be looking for the guy that the students relate with. The person that would give you the best experience while you are away at college. Not the guy that has the most in common with 75 year old super conservative white millionaire.

I tried to explain this to titan as far as this message board

Just now, Ryan Sanders said:

Paging Lil Mook and JBoy... we need your insider knowledge again please.. it has been spot on so far. 

But didn’t they say MC was a lock?

1 minute ago, AuburnFTW said:

The quick and easy solution to all of this is for the BOT to include each major Auburn football forum on the Search Committee to represent the average fan

We would probably all stop being fans really quick if we knew what went on behind those closed doors. I consider this one of those "you don't want to see how the sausage is made kind of deals"

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

We would probably all stop being fans really quick if we knew what went on behind those closed doors. I consider this one of those "you don't want to see how the sausage is made kind of deals"

I am sure there is a lot of dick measuring with their wallets going on.

35 minutes ago, wcware said:

Mirrors our current political system. 😅

9 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

The quick and easy solution to all of this is for the BOT to include each major Auburn football forum on the Search Committee to represent the average fan

The quick and easy solution would be if the BOT put together a real search committee with younger, more recent alumni and players or let Allen Greene actually do his job. 

8 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

But didn’t they say MC was a lock?

Yep..  :)

I actually tweeted to JBoy, "Wouldn't it be easier to just say 'I Don't Know'"?

He didn't like it too much haha. Obviously I was just messing with him and I completely understand the landscape of "sources," but it was fun to pick at him at least.

1 minute ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Yep..  :)

I actually tweeted to JBoy, "Wouldn't it be easier to just say 'I Don't Know'"?

He didn't like it too much haha. Obviously I was just messing with him and I completely understand the landscape of "sources," but it was fun to pick at him at least.

That’s awesome! Haha. 

I just h e a real hard time believing we would just hire Steele and co. The apathy and disinterest is gonna be even worse than it was at the end of Gus’s tenure.

Seems to me these people don’t care about a winning program if they go that route. 

10 hours ago, BHDAU1 said:

I think Lane Kiffin is probably a pipe dream.  He literally just got to Ole Miss and they love him there.  He had a pretty good first year there and probably thinks he can win there in short order.  Not really much incentive to leave other than money, and his reputation (which he is trying to improve) would take a huge hit with literally everyone else except for Auburn fans if he left now.  I think the AU "committee" is looking for the next young guy that has not run a big program before that can be hired for relatively cheap, while making sure Steele stays as DC as sort of an insurance policy.  Just my .02.  There are several names out there that fit that description that have been discussed here.

Supposedly he let it be known he was interested in the Auburn job. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

or let Allen Greene actually do his job. 

Exactly! Allow the ATHELITC DIRECTOR   to provide the opportunity to submit a list of candidates to the BOT and make his arguments for each. 

Archived