Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, kevon67 said:

Thanks........I guess I am miffed because Gus had all but the winning down pat..........at least we're not CD Project Red right now😂

Bro, I wish I understood that reference, because you said it, so that means it's some combination of interesting, on point, and/or funny. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I'd be fine with Steele.

Why? Terrible record as a HC. Fairly average as a DC until the last few years. Already in his sixties. He is a part of the Malzahn staff that couldn't get it done on the field and just crapped the bed spectacularly in recruiting. Maybe he is hired and does a good job but there is nothing about him as a candidate that indicates he can elevate the football program to an elite level. It is okay to hire a big name and miss but starting out with a hire that has a high likelihood of failure and hoping it works out makes no sense.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Bro, I wish I understood that reference, because you said it, so that means it's some combination of interesting, on point, and/or funny. 

Google search Cyberpunk 2077

It's a mess

5 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Thanks........I guess I am miffed because Gus had all but the winning down pat..........at least we're not CD Project Red right now😂

They’ll get it together. If No Man’s Sky was able to get a turnaround into a decent game, so will Cyberpunk. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It will stop some time after it stops being true. 

Sadly, this latest episode will prolong that process quite a bit.

Some of it may be true,  some of it based on a small sliver of truth,  but most of the info we are getting is something people made up or "heard from a BS source".    Any legitimate source would not be leaking info.  If they do it is because they have a personal agenda and the info is likely to be skewed.    I have not had a source in the system since Tubberville era.    On rare occasion I would get some info   It was contradictory to the narrative on message boards and in the media.  Quite often, time has proven the media and hype wrong.  

Remember Don Fuell.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Google search Cyberpunk 2077

It's a mess

Is that the same Keanu Reeves game that has dominated my ad feeds for months despite the fact that I am not even remotely a gamer and my online activity wouldn't suggest in any way that I am? 

They rolled THAT out with a bunch of bugs? 

Hoooooo boy I feel sorry for a lot of people. Because you know a bunch of programmers are going to fall on the sw....

Oh, wait, @kevon67, I see exactly what you're saying now. Hahahaha

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Is that the same Keanu Reeves game that has dominated my ad feeds for months despite the fact that I am not even remotely a gamer and my online activity wouldn't suggest in any way that I am? 

Hoooooo boy I feel sorry for a lot of people. Because you know a bunch of programmers are going to fall on the sw....

That's the game!

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They’ll get it together. If No Man’s Sky was able to get a turnaround into a decent game, so will Cyberpunk. 

I hope so👍

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Wasn't trying to be mature.

2) Nope, kids don't care about our message board.  Have you actually spent time with student-athletes?  I have.  They don't give a damn.  Talk to any of them and it's always "Man, fans don't know anything." The ones that do read these boards do so because they find it funny. 

you still do not get it.  It doesn't stay on message boards.   The rumors start on boards,  the get perpetuated in the real world.  It gets picked up by rivals.   You don't think other coaches are using this against us n recruiting? 

Remember Don Fuel

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Think about all the smoke around Steele. Like... there's enough of it to suggest there is or at least was a fire. You might not believe it, but you have to acknowledge that it's very possible that very important people wanted Kevin Steele as our next head coach. Now consider that a guy on staff who might have been a very serious candidate hasn't already been announced as our next head coach.

Do you allow for the possibility that someone has already made/is continuing to make a stand? 

I suppose it will bear repeating at least once on every page of this AMAZING thread that Greene is on the short end of an extreme power imbalance in the AD's hierarchy. He is a subordinate to the actual shot callers. He can offer council and influence. He can politick and rally support. But the decisions are not his.

If Alan Greene chooses to stand up he can win this fight. We would stand with him against a Kevin Steele hire or another one from the PTB good ole boy network. He needs to find his backbone and be more public than a weak public statement. We will back him up. 

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Some of it may be true,  some of it based on a small sliver of truth,  but most of the info we are getting is something people made up or "heard from a BS source".    Any legitimate source would not be leaking info.  If they do it is because they have a personal agenda and the info is likely to be skewed.    I have not had a source in the system since Tubberville era.    On rare occasion I would get some info   It was contradictory to the narrative on message boards and in the media.  Quite often, time has proven the media and hype wrong.  

Remember Don Fuel.

It's your right to believe that, but it's also everyone else's right to discuss what they've heard on a message board that was created specifically for just that purpose. As for how damaging the discussions are, I find more compelling evidence that they don't matter much than they do.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Is there actually a water cooler that people stand around and gossip about Auburn football????

Not sure a water cooler, but, man, some good craft beer and a nice bonfire would be a good time to gossip about AU football, especially since it is finally cold.

4 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

If Alan Greene chooses to stand up he can win this fight. We would stand with him against a Kevin Steele hire or another one from the PTB good ole boy network. He needs to find his backbone and be more public than a weak public statement. We will back him up. 

Greene has a tough balancing act though, he needs their money to modernize Auburn Athletics.

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Not sure a water cooler, but, man, some good craft beer and a nice bonfire would be a good time to gossip about AU football, especially since it is finally cold.

Yes Sir

6 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

you still do not get it.  It doesn't stay on message boards.   The rumors start on boards,  the get perpetuated in the real world.  It gets picked up by rivals.   You don't think other coaches are using this against us n recruiting? 

Remember Don Fuel

I get it.  I just reject your ludicrous premise.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes........While AU is looking for a coach Sony literally pulled Cyberpunk from its online store........Unfortunatley AU and CDPR or loosing millions😂😢

Just now, mdp5150 said:

Again, though, consider that Steele hasn't been hired. If there is a serious effort for him to be hired, then it has taken an even more serious effort for it not to have happened already. The dude was already here. We don't have to fend off literally a single other suitor for him. We didn't have to offer him much money. They could have had it hammered out before lunch on Monday.

Somebody has stopped that from happening. 

As for being public, what message would that send? "I, Auburn's Athletic Director, oppose some members on our Board of Trustees who would like to hire a particular candidate." I feel like that would fall in the next tier behind Penn State/Michigan State/Baylor institutionally supported sexual predation scandals as a "worst PR things in college athletic department history"? 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's your right to believe that, but it's also everyone else's right to discuss what they've heard on a message board that was created specifically for just that purpose. As for how damaging the discussions are, I find more compelling evidence that they don't matter much than they do.

It is one thing to discuss what they heard, but quite another to  trash Auburn's name using "what they heard" as evidence.   This does not help Auburn in anyway.

The whole Cam Newton thing shows how much damage can occur from rumors, innuendo and false "facts".   Remember Don Fuell? 

Just now, Mike4AU said:

This thread has very little to do with the actual search and is bringing out the worst in people. Whole lot of Willy measuring going on. 

Mine's short.  Next?

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The whole Cam Newton thing shows how much damage can occur from rumors, innuendo and false "facts".   Remember Don Fuel? 

The whole Cam Newton thing had nothing to do with Auburn fans trashing Auburn on message boards, though. That was sports journos and rival coaches badgering the NCAA into an actual investigation. I see no parallel whatsoever.

Okay, so you're super invested in this Don Fuel thing. I'll bite, if we can just get it over with. I have no idea what Don Fuel is. Want to drop a quick Wiki on us and then we'll move on?

Archived