Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Auburn Tiger said:

I just h e a real hard time believing we would just hire Steele and co. The apathy and disinterest is gonna be even worse than it was at the end of Gus’s tenure.

Seems to me these people don’t care about a winning program if they go that route. 

Just like a poster said earlier, they care about getting a guy that lines up closest to them and their beliefs/attitude. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Sunbelt conference championship game canceled due to Covid.  This was a big game. They are just declaring them co champions.  Napier is free now. 

Sun Belt Conference Championship game canceled due to COVID-19 - https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sports/sun-belt-conference-championship-canceled-due-to-covid-19

Sun Belt Conference Championship game canceled due to COVID-19

Louisiana, Coastal Carolina will be honored as 2020 Sun Belt Co-Champions

items.[0].image.alt

Posted at 9:59 PM, Dec 17, 2020

and last updated 6:57 AM, Dec 18, 2020

The Sun Belt Conference Championship Game between Louisiana and Coastal Carolina scheduled for this weekend has been canceled due to a positive COVID-19 test within the Coastal Carolina program.

Because of contact tracing, an entire position group would not be available to play due to possible exposure, and therefore the game cannot be played, officials say.

"We are very disappointed that the championship game cannot be played, but we are so proud of all of the players and staff members and their hard work during this truly challenging season," said Sun Belt Commissioner Keith Gill. "We will honor both teams as 2020 Sun Belt Conference Co-Champions."

Louisiana football released a statement after the news broke, saying the program is "severely disappointed for our student-athletes and staff to not have the opportunity to play in what would have been a truly exciting championship game for the Sun Belt Conference."

Ragin' Cajuns head coach Billy Napier posted a tweet on Thursday asking if the game would be rescheduled.

Director of Athletics Bryan Maggard said the team looks forward to learning of its bowl destination this weekend.

There's a thought floating out there that this game may become the Camellia Bowl (in Montgomery) on Christmas Day and the Sun Belt has a title game there.

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The quick and easy solution would be if the BOT put together a real search committee and younger, more recent alumni and players or let Allen Greene actually do his job. 

That's the real and logical solution! For whatever reason though, I worry that my sarcastic solution and your real solution have the same chance of happening. I hope I'm wrong though. You're totally right that we need some fresh blood on that search committee

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

Exactly! Allow the ATHELITC DIRECTOR   to provide the opportunity to submit a list of candidates to the BOT and make his arguments for each. 

No kidding.  This is the way is SHOULD work.  I guarantee if I were the AD I would have a list of 5 potential head coaches for every Auburn team should a coach leave or be terminated.  I would have all of their cell numbers.  And I would make sure a year did not go by that I did not "run into" or talk to each of them.  That's your job.

36 minutes ago, wcware said:

I hope every recruit in the country see’s what is happening with this coaching search. I hope they re-evaluate what’s best for their future. As of right now until I see culture change my child would not play football at Auburn 

I have been on this earth long enough to see the biggest problem we have is the naive, gullible fans that will take the word of the Bama controlled media hype and rumors trying to make us look incompetent.    We have fans that run with anything they hear and say they heard if from a source.  Hell,  we have a student plane fly close to oxford,  and it became "an AU plane going to get Kiffen."   ETC ETC ETC.  Quit buying into the media and fake sources.  Quit spreading the rumors further.   fans are creating a boogie man. Auburn is not incompetent.  Do you not remember the media's stance on the Cam Newton issues.  90% of the info we  were getting was false.  The same thing is happening with the coach search.  We really do not know if we offered Cristobal, no idea if he just flat out said NO.  Do you really thing steel is the first option?  Only if everyone else on our list says no.  But a lot of fans are pushing the steele narrative and how incompetent  AU is.    This does not help with the coaching search. 

You have NO IDEA what is really going on behind closed doors.  you are having an emotional, knee jerk reaction to rumors and innuendo.

10 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Just like a poster said earlier, they care about getting a guy that lines up closest to them and their beliefs/attitude. 

But didn’t they have that guy in Gus?

55 minutes ago, OB4AU said:

I am tired of hearing people say we are the laughing stock of college football. South Carolina was interested in Scott Satterfield but he decided to re-up with Louisville and pull his name out of the hat for the USCe job. So they hired Beamer. This happens in most searches. So what. Everyone things they have inside scoop which is creating more angst. To my knowledge...the committee has not stated their details and neither have the big alums. Every school has big alums invested in decisions. Bama does too. Remember when Nick was hired. The first thing he did was threaten the very alums that helped get him hired. Name another coach that could pull that one off? Maybe Urban. Let’s settle and let the process play out. We are creating the noise. 

A man with balls that's who. That's the kind of man I want leading our program. That's true leadership,  not bending to the whims of guys with money. Yes, most schools have money folks with interests in dictating things, but I'd say there is a unique cloud that surrounds ours. Until we get a guy that will stand up to them the culture will never change. 

I'll add....the reason "we're creating the noise" is because these guys have blundered up this stuff many times before. There's a valid history to hold them accountable for.

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

A man with balls that's who. That's the kind of man I want leading our program. That's true leadership,  not bending to the whims of guys with money. Yes, most schools have money folks with interests in dictating things, but I'd say there is a unique cloud that surrounds ours. Until we get a guy that will stand up to them the culture will never change. 

I'll add....the reason "we're creating the noise" is because these guys have blundered up this stuff many times before. There's a valid history to hold them accountable for.

This, this, this! Spot on. I want a coach with fire. A coach with intensity. A coach who will go for it on fourth down. A coach who doesn’t take three timeouts to the locker room. A coach with the drive to get the best players possible. A coach who will get those players ready for games. A coach who will do what he thinks is best for the program, not what some person with money wants for the program. Ugh. A tall order? Maybe so. 

11 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I have been on this earth long enough to see the biggest problem we have is the naive, gullible fans that will take the word of the Bama controlled media hype and rumors trying to make us look incompetent.    We have fans that run with anything they hear and say they heard if from a source.  Hell,  we have a student plane fly close to oxford,  and it became "an AU plane going to get Kiffen."   ETC ETC ETC.  Quit buying into the media and fake sources.  Quit spreading the rumors further.   fans are creating a boogie man. Auburn is not incompetent.  Do you not remember the media's stance on the Cam Newton issues.  90% of the info we  were getting was false.  The same thing is happening with the coach search.  We really do not know if we offered Cristobal, no idea if he just flat out said NO.  Do you really thing steel is the first option?  Only if everyone else on our list says no.  But a lot of fans are pushing the steele narrative and how incompetent  AU is.    This does not help with the coaching search. 

You have NO IDEA what is really going on behind closed doors.  you are having an emotional, knee jerk reaction to rumors and innuendo.

I'm old enough to remember Jet-gate.  Auburn is very much incompetent when it wants to be.

1 hour ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

👁👅👁

Yeah, let's go after this guy. Pretty easy $$$ wise and we're a bigger job than any offer he's had so far.

Kiffin, I'm just worried USCw would give him another shot.

Just now, AUwent said:

Yeah, let's go after this guy. Pretty easy $$$ wise and we're a bigger job than any offer he's had so far.

Kiffin, I'm just worried USCw would give him another shot.

They fired the man on the tarmac at the airport after a loss.  He's not getting another shot there.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

They fired the man on the tarmac at the airport after a loss.  He's not getting another shot there.

Agreed. He might look at a Texas, Ohio State, Michigan job of offered but outside of that, I don’t see him leaving.

3 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Agreed. He might look at a Texas, Ohio State, Michigan job of offered but outside of that, I don’t see him leaving.

Day isn’t going anywhere and I think Michigan should go after Campbell. Texas yeah.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which is why I think Tony elliot can have the best interview in the world. Knock it out of the park. Everyone is blown away. But Harbert and yella man are like nahhhhhhh steele is still the man!!! 😡😠🤬😤

Maybe it's why they didn't like Mario 🤔

25 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Exactly! Allow the ATHELITC DIRECTOR   to provide the opportunity to submit a list of candidates to the BOT and make his arguments for each. 

If Alan Greene had any backbone whatsoever he would make his stand! Let me do my job or hire a coach and an AD. See how the PTB likes that publicity. 

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Day isn’t going anywhere and I think Michigan should go after Campbell. Texas yeah.

I do not want Campbell. Michigan can have him.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

You serious Clark? Because he’s not from the south?

Man, if you were the AD at LSU in late 1999 or at Florida in late 2004...

(Not that I think we’d have a real chance at getting him.)

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm old enough to remember Jet-gate.  Auburn is very much incompetent when it wants to be.

Jet gate.  LMAO.   do you not realize jet gate happen all the time at every school.   The media villainized Auburn for doing what every other school has done and still does. Sounds like you took the media version of Auburn is the bad guy,  and fell for it hook line and sinker.  

Just now, Zeek said:

I don't think you have to worry. He's not going anywhere - and if he does, he is selective. https://footballscoop.com/news/report-matt-campbell-has-his-eyes-on-a-few-jobs-in-particular/

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

You serious Clark?

No time in the south, 69-42, and he doesn't strike me as that electric hire or personality that could recruit big enough 

I am old enough to have graduated in ‘85. I have lived through the days. Things have changed and the $$$$ is driving the game and setting the rules. Everywhere. Who doesn’t want a coach with the balls to make the calls on and off the field? My thing is that we should be careful to base our opinions on what we hear on this site from people with “inside” info and then make derogatory comments about our program. I will reserve the judgement of the process when I see who is hired and learn about what took place. BTW, give me a young coach like Napier who can develop a program. Pat Dye did it and he was a Bear protege. Sark would be a great hire, so would Freeze. Pat Dye was not a saint either. None of us are.

Archived