Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

53 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

They gotta look at them though, right???? It seems impossible to stick your head head that far down in the sand... 

I think they probably have to from an optics stand point but nothing else.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mdp5150 said:

If Alan Greene had any backbone whatsoever he would make his stand! Let me do my job or hire a coach and an AD. See how the PTB likes that publicity.

Greene is no fool. If the crusty board members aren't atleast halfway letting him make suggestions, then he we can kiss the hope of another outsider AD goodbye. No one decent from the outside is going to come in just to be a smiling face and a fundraiser. It will result in the auburn good ole boy network back as AD.

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Jet gate.  LMAO.   do you not realize jet gate happen all the time at every school.   The media villainized Auburn for doing what every other school has done and still does. Sounds like you took the media version of Auburn is the bad guy,  and fell for it hook line and sinker.  

Nope.  Every school is not flying around sloppily interviewing a replacement right before a rivalry game.  Back channel discussions happen, sure.  But Auburn was sloppy and got caught.  That's incompetence.

Sorry if I choose not to believe that Auburn is infallible.  We have had some buffoons running our program at times over the last three decades.  Need another example?  We have a giant scoreboard and not a football only facility.  Money down the damn drain that literally does nothing to help us win and recruit.

1 minute ago, OB4AU said:

I am old enough to have graduated in ‘85. I have lived through the days. Things have changed and the $$$$ is driving the game and setting the rules. Everywhere. Who doesn’t want a coach with the balls to make the calls on and off the field. My ping is that we should be careful to base our opinions on what we hear on this site from people with “inside” info and then make derogatory comments about our program. I will reserve the judgement of the process when I see who is hired and learn about what took place. BTW, give me a you g coach like Napier who can develop a program. Pay Dye did it and he was a Bear protege. Sark would be a great hire, so would Freeze. Pat Dye was not a saint either. None of us are.

and.... REMEMBER DON FUEL!

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

Greene is no fool. If the crusty board members aren't atleast halfway letting him make suggestions, then he we can kiss the hope of another outsider AD goodbye. No one decent from the outside is going to come in just to be a smiling face and a fundraiser. It will result in the auburn good ole boy network back as AD.

I stan Greene.

2 minutes ago, OB4AU said:

Pay Dye did it and he was a Bear protege. Sark would be a great hire, so would Freeze. Pat Dye was not a saint either. None of us are.

the media wold burn a coach alive over the pants and wallet alone.

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

No time in the south, 69-42, and he doesn't strike me as that electric hire or personality that could recruit big enough 

With one week to go he has IOWA FREAKING STATE at #6 in the CFP! That’s at least as good with going 35-24 in five years at NCAA-sanctioned Michigan State!

Napier is gonna be considered a great hire no matter where he goes, when he does.  

I still have this gut feeling that we hire someone barely mentioned or a complete surprise to most of us.

Just now, auburnphan said:

Napier is gonna be considered a great hire no matter where he goes, when he does.  

I still have this gut feeling that we hire someone barely mentioned or a complete surprise to most of us.

Me too. If they hire Steele they know that will have a revolt on their hands that will expose them more than they already are...... I hope

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  Every school is not flying around sloppily interviewing a replacement right before a rivalry game.  Back channel discussions happen, sure.  But Auburn was sloppy and got caught.  That's incompetence.

Sorry if I choose not to believe that Auburn is infallible.  We have had some buffoons running our program at times over the last three decades.  Need another example?  We have a giant scoreboard and not a football only facility.  Money down the damn drain that literally does nothing to help us win and recruit.

It is not that  Auburn is infallible.  it is that the media villainizes Auburn and every move we make.  Some of our fans are just stupid enough to believe it.   Yes,  many many schools put out feelers to judge the interest of a coach before firing the last.   If you don't believe that you are more naive than most.

If you know for a fact Auburn is bungling this search,  PROVE IT.  Give one shred of evidence that is not media or rumor driven.   If not, step back from your emotional thought process.  Fans need  STFU about how incompetent Auburn is.   Let it play out before hurting the program more rather than try to prove how s***ty Auburn is.    

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

No time in the south

Weak, weak argument.  As I've stated before, the two best coaches of this century (Saban and Meyer) both succeeded in the SEC without spending a minute coaching in the South before arriving.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Weak, weak argument.  As I've stated before, the two best coaches of this century (Saban and Meyer) both succeeded in the SEC without spending a minute coaching in the South before arriving.

I agree in general just an observation. Doesn't seem like he's interested either honestly. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It is not that  Auburn is infallible.  it is that the media villainizes Auburn and every move we make.  Some of our fans are just stupid enough to believe it.   Yes,  many many schools out out feelers to judge the interest of a coach before firing the last.   If you don't believe that you are more naive than most.

If you know for a fact Auburn is bungling this search,  PROVE IT.  Give one shred of evidence that is not media or rumor driven.   If not, step back from you emotional thought process.  Fans need  STFU about how incompetent Auburn is.   Let it play out before hurting the program more rather than try to prove how s***ty Auburn is.    

Yep, we live in an age where people believe anything they read and absolutely run with it. It would be comical if it wasn't so absolutely pathetic.

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It is not that  Auburn is infallible.  it is that the media villainizes Auburn and every move we make.  Some of our fans are just stupid enough to believe it.   Yes,  many many schools put out feelers to judge the interest of a coach before firing the last.   If you don't believe that you are more naive than most.

If you know for a fact Auburn is bungling this search,  PROVE IT.  Give one shred of evidence that is not media or rumor driven.   If not, step back from you emotional thought process.  Fans need  STFU about how incompetent Auburn is.   Let it play out before hurting the program more rather than try to prove how s***ty Auburn is.    

Ahh the old "blame the media" trope.  A tale as old as time.  When stuff looks bad on something you love, it's never wise to look inward.  Instead let's blame those dastardly reporters.

As far as feelers, I specifically said in my last post that schools do it.  What they don't do is send a jet ahead of time and get caught red handed talking to another coach before firing the one they already have.

And nothing, and I mean nothing, I say here has any affect on the program.  I'm not hurting a damn thing.  Put your big boy pants on man.

12 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

If Alan Greene had any backbone whatsoever he would make his stand! 

Think about all the smoke around Steele. Like... there's enough of it to suggest there is or at least was a fire. You might not believe it, but you have to acknowledge that it's very possible that very important people wanted Kevin Steele as our next head coach. Now consider that a guy on staff who might have been a very serious candidate hasn't already been announced as our next head coach.

Do you allow for the possibility that someone has already made/is continuing to make a stand? 

I suppose it will bear repeating at least once on every page of this AMAZING thread that Greene is on the short end of an extreme power imbalance in the AD's hierarchy. He is a subordinate to the actual shot callers. He can offer council and influence. He can politick and rally support. But the decisions are not his.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I agree in general just an observation. Doesn't seem like he's interested either honestly. 

I don't think he'd be interested at all.  I would take him in a New York minute if he was though.

Listened to part of Napier's ULL introduction as head coach on the way in this morning...he said "Family" like a half dozen times in 5 minutes.  Seems like a good fit.

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

If you know for a fact Auburn is bungling this search,  PROVE IT.  Give one shred of evidence that is not media or rumor driven.   If not, step back from your emotional thought process.  Fans need  STFU about how incompetent Auburn is.   Let it play out before hurting the program more rather than try to prove how s***ty Auburn is.    

I would say the fact that they are actually considering Steele as a serious candidate would give some inclination that they have bungled the search in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

People are upset because they got emotional invested in a guy they thought for sure was coming when in reality he used it to get a bigger raise . Still quality candidates out there 

Just now, bootskii said:

I would say the fact that they are actually considering Steele as a serious candidate would give some inclination that they have bungled the search in my opinion. 

We don’t even know if that is true. Again it can be one booster pushing this and someone leaking it to completely stop it from occurring 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If Alan Greene had any backbone whatsoever he would make his stand! 

whoa,whoa!!!! Hold up. Greene stood up for Bruce and is most likely why he is still our BB coach. I do wish he were more public, every time you want get pissed at Greene, watch a BB game and be thankful who is coaching it. I'll stand down now

edit: McLoofus quoted this and did not write it himself. I messed up and read it wrong

The media harps on Auburn having envy over UAt.  I've never wanted Auburn to be UAt.  If we lost only one game every year to the best program in college football, who happens to be in the playoffs every year, and actually win the NC more times than any other team, then so be it. That would mean we would be finishing the regular season 11-1, and likely be in the playoffs ourselves most years with chances to win it all. Our problems aren't with UAt, they are with everyone else.  It's the fact that we are constantly getting beaten by our other rivals (LSU and UGA) and mixing in ridiculous losses to USCe, UT, UCF, Minnesota, Ole Miss, MSU, etc...and struggling to beat UK, and Arkansas occasionally. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ahh the old "blame the media" trope.  A tale as old as time.  When stuff looks bad on something you love, it's never wise to look inward.  Instead let's blame those dastardly reporters.

As far as feelers, I specifically said in my last post that schools do it.  What they don't do is send a jet ahead of time and get caught red handed talking to another coach before firing the one they already have.

And nothing, and I mean nothing, I say here has any affect on the program.  I'm not hurting a damn thing.  Put your big boy pants on man.

So it only is a bad thing if you get caught red handed? LMAO!

You are hurting a lot of things.     You are adding to the narrative that Auburn is   a  bad place for any coach or recruit to come.  Other posters will  think you know what you are talking about, when you are really just talking out of the side of your neck.    Open your eyes, quit pushing the Auburn sucks narrative.   You are basing you opinions on rumor.! 

REMEMBER DON FUEL.

Archived