Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We don’t even know if that is true. Again it can be one booster pushing this and someone leaking it to completely stop it from occurring 

Exactly. We’ve yet to hear anything OFFICIAL: we offered Mario and he turned us down, we’ve interviewed Steele and is being considered, we are pursuing these candidates, nothing OFFICIAL. We are losing our minds and trashing our school over a bunch of speculation, rumors, and “insider information”.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bootskii said:

I would say the fact that they are actually considering Steele as a serious candidate would give some inclination that they have bungled the search in my opinion. 

Show me this  fact that  steele is really a serious candidate.  

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

We don’t even know if that is true. Again it can be one booster pushing this and someone leaking it to completely stop it from occurring 

I was more surprised at the fact that Steele was interested as to Habert wanting him. In the run of the rumor mill as it was.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

People are upset because they got emotional invested in a guy they thought for sure was coming when in reality he used it to get a bigger raise . Still quality candidates out there 

Name a couple of these candidates........hope that doesn't sound smart arse.......just feel like I am out of the loop.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

People are upset because they got emotional invested in a guy they thought for sure was coming when in reality he used it to get a bigger raise . Still quality candidates out there 

Pretty sure it has been reported by many Auburn sites that Steele is being considered a serious candidate. I have checked Auburn 247 Sports and Auburn Rivals and both have confirmed this.

Maybe true, maybe not. Jboy said yesterday that Auburn never even sent Mario an official offer. He said the administration dragged their feet. His contract does not look like they were trying to out pay anyone. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

So it only is a bad thing if you get caught red handed? LMAO!

You are hurting a lot of things.     You are adding to the narrative that Auburn is   a  bad place for any coach or recruit to come.  Other posters will  think you know what you are talking about, when you are really just talking out of the side of your neck.    Open your eyes, quit pushing the Auburn sucks narrative.   You are basing you opinions on rumor.! 

REMEMBER DON FUEL.

This is hilarious.  It's a message board dude.  No one of consequence (see: big boosters, athletic department, or prospective coaches) is reading anything we type.  Get a grip man.

Seriously, big boy undies.  Try em sometime.  I'd recommend Fruit of the Loom breathable boxer briefs.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

There is a reason Greene is looking at other jobs, of course some wouldn’t believe it to be true because the media reports it.

losing him would be massive for a few reasons. The main being that we finally got the progressive mind in that position, and he was trumped...muted, in many of the situations where we've needed such a personality. Not only would it be a clear sign that anyone similarly built in the future would only be a figurehead, but it would also make similar candidates want to look elsewhere from the jump. 

We really do have one of the five worst behind the scenes situation in the country. 

3 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Pretty sure it has been reported by many Auburn sites that Steele is being considered a serious candidate. I have checked Auburn 247 Sports and Auburn Rivals and both have confirmed this.

This is what people don't want to hear.  I've worked in sports.  You won't hear anything "official" until a deal is signed and the comment will always be "This was our guy." It's PR 101.

I've literally had press releases about signings or moves ready to go only to have to delete them because things change at the last minute.  Public never knew any better.  Anyone waiting for just what the university is telling them is gullible as hell.

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Other posters will  think you know what you are talking about, when you are really just talking out of the side of your neck.    Open your eyes, quit pushing the Auburn sucks narrative.   You are basing you opinions on rumor.! 

I'd caution against making assumptions about what people know and base their opinions on. 

That's a general statement. I don't know anything about Brad's connections- only that he typically has his ducks in a row  and alphabetized before he joins a conversation. 

3 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Maybe true, maybe not. Jboy said yesterday that Auburn never even sent Mario an official offer. He said the administration dragged their feet. His contract does not look like they were trying to out pay anyone. 

The university doesn't send an official offer until it knows he's going to sign it.  Any offer would have been made through back channels.

7 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Name a couple of these candidates........hope that doesn't sound smart arse.......just feel like I am out of the loop.

Tony Elliott and Billy Napier. Maybe Hugh Freeze.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is hilarious.  It's a message board dude.  No one of consequence (see: big boosters, athletic department, or prospective coaches) is reading anything we type.  Get a grip man.

Seriously, big boy undies.  Try em sometime.  I'd recommend Fruit of the Loom breathable boxer briefs.

Real mature.    Yes, message board effect recruits and other fans views.  You don't think there are recruits on message boards seeing the hundreds of posts saying how incompetent Auburn is.  One person on a board spouting this s*** wouldn't hurt anything,  but there are scores of you that non stop post how s***ty auburn is. 

Do you think this swaying of attitude just stays on the boards?  Rumors get talked about the water cooler,  and spread to other gullible fans.  It is picked up by our rivals and exaggerated.  Fake "proof" is presented back, making us look worse. Then, this exaggerated crap gets posted to more  boards,  and a few more people get sucked into this uneducated perception.    Something the size and importance of a coach search gets snowballed and gets bigger and bigger.  It is a big circle.  Some media hack or "influencer" takes that and runs with it.  It needs to stop. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Compare the raise he accepted to the SEC pay scale. He wasn't playing the leverage game. 

It is kind of funny, though, that Auburn PTB forced Oregon to double the dude's salary just by being a bunch of rich goofballs. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd caution against making assumptions about what people know and base their opinions on. 

That's a general statement. I don't know anything about Brad's connections- only that he typically has his ducks in a row  and alphabetized before he joins a conversation. 

Thank you.  I don't claim to have a bunch of inside sources.  Have heard some things from people I trust who do have those connections, but I have chosen not to share because I don't 100% believe it.

Some reporting that has come out in the last day or so has corroborated what I heard, however it's still iffy to me, so I'm choosing to not post it.

What I do have is an understanding on is Auburn's well reported history of sloppy coaching searches and how PR works.  Sometimes if it walks like duck and quacks like one, it's just a duck. 

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Which would give the appearance that the Admin is bungling the process up. This is the exact type of crap I'm referring to. To blame the fans for reacting negatively to the BS the admin is stirring around. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Compare the raise he accepted to the SEC pay scale. He wasn't playing the leverage game. 

It is kind of funny, though, that Auburn PTB forced Oregon to double the dude's salary just by being a bunch of rich goofballs. 

Not gonna lie, it's a lot more fun to do it to other schools than when Arkansas does it to us.

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It needs to stop. 

It will stop some time after it stops being true. 

Sadly, this latest episode will prolong that process quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I'd be fine with Steele.

You'll have an easy time getting tickets. Run in to Walmart,come back to your car and 4 will be under your windshield wiper

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tony Elliott and Billy Napier. Maybe Hugh Freeze.

Thanks........I guess I am miffed because Gus had all but the winning down pat..........at least we're not CD Project Red right now😂

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Real mature.    Yes, message board effect recruits and other fans views.  You don't think there are recruits on message boards seeing the hundreds of posts saying how incompetent Auburn is.  One person on a board spouting this s*** wouldn't hurt anything,  but there are scores of you that non stop post how s***ty auburn is. 

Do you think this swaying of attitude just stays on the boards?  Rumors get talked about the water cooler,  and spread to other gullible fans.  It is picked up by our rivals and exaggerated.  Fake "proof" is presented back, making us look worse. Then, this exaggerated crap gets posted to more  boards,  and a few more people get sucked into this uneducated perception.    Something the size and importance of a coach search gets snowballed and gets bigger and bigger.  It is a big circle.  Some media hack or "influencer" takes that and runs with it.  It needs to stop. 

1) Wasn't trying to be mature.

2) Nope, kids don't care about our message board.  Have you actually spent time with student-athletes?  I have.  They don't give a damn.  Talk to any of them and it's always "Man, fans don't know anything." The ones that do read these boards do so because they find it funny. 

Archived