Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

This thread has very little to do with the actual search and is bringing out the worst in people. Whole lot of Willy measuring going on. 

Your post only further degrades the conversation. May I suggest offering something useful if you'd like to steer the conversation back that way. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fasttimes said:

why do we always move away from what works?

We didn’t, Gus and Cam had already left when Chiz got canned. Blame them! 😂

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Again, though, consider that Steele hasn't been hired. If there is a serious effort for him to be hired, then it has taken an even more serious effort for it not to have happened already. The dude was already here. We don't have to fend off literally a single other suitor for him. We didn't have to offer him much money. They could have had it hammered out before lunch on Monday.

Somebody has stopped that from happening. 

As for being public, what message would that send? "I, Auburn's Athletic Director, oppose some members on our Board of Trustees who would like to hire a particular candidate." I feel like that would fall in the next tier behind Penn State/Michigan State/Baylor institutionally supported sexual predation scandals as a "worst PR things in college athletic department history"? 

You and I agree on about 99% of this.. 

I just do not think we’re out of the woods yet on Steele. I think the time is now for him to assert his authority 

20 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Is there actually a water cooler that people stand around and gossip about Auburn football????

Yep. There is where all the sources come from! You’ve cracked it 

51 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Pretty sure it has been reported by many Auburn sites that Steele is being considered a serious candidate. I have checked Auburn 247 Sports and Auburn Rivals and both have confirmed this.

Would totally be hired by now if that were the case. The guy is here. Supposedly we missed out on MC. Lot of s*** has been reported , which seems to have been completely false or misleading 

53 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I was more surprised at the fact that Steele was interested as to Habert wanting him. In the run of the rumor mill as it was.

Good ole boy system. I mean it is his right to want have a better job but it is ridiculous to me that any serious booster thing he is qualified to be a “serious” candidate 

4 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

You and I agree on about 99% of this.. 

I just do not think we’re out of the woods yet on Steele. I think the time is now for him to assert his authority 

I agree that we're not out of the woods yet on Steele.

Where I think we differ is I think Greene's position dictates that he assert himself without authority, lol. 

54 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Name a couple of these candidates........hope that doesn't sound smart arse.......just feel like I am out of the loop.

Napier

Elliot

Sark 

That is my three in that order with Napier being the clear leader

obviously I want freeze but apparently that isn’t going to happen. 

53 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Maybe true, maybe not. Jboy said yesterday that Auburn never even sent Mario an official offer. He said the administration dragged their feet. His contract does not look like they were trying to out pay anyone. 

Sorry I am taking every word Jboy has said with a grain of salt in terms of this coaching carousel. Might be more useful with recruiting 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The whole Cam Newton thing had nothing to do with Auburn fans trashing Auburn on message boards, though. That was sports journos and rival coaches badgering the NCAA into an actual investigation. I see no parallel whatsoever.

Okay, so you're super invested in this Don Fuel thing. I'll bite, if we can just get it over with. I have no idea what Don Fuel is. Want to drop a quick Wiki on us and then we'll move on?

Don Fuell Was an Auburn QB Baseball and basketball player in 1957.   

Bama got scared  and went on a witch hunt.  Rumors of cars, boats and cash being illegally given to Fuell by Auburn spread immediately. Fuel lost his Scholly.  Auburn got put on probation for 3 or 4 years.  Turns out Fuell lived in a tiny studio apartment and had NO air conditioning.  we are talking 2-a-days in the heat of Alabama.  Some booster gave fuel an  air conditioner.  (tiny sheep window unit.) The media exaggeration got us years of probation.

That is the gist of it from what I can remember.   I am old and my memory is not what it used to be. There is a lot more to this story.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sorry I am taking every word Jboy has said with a grain of salt in terms of this coaching carousel. Might be more useful with recruiting 

Yeah, he seems to be reading the leaves as to getting information

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Don Fuell Was an Auburn QB Baseball and basketball player in 1957.   

Bama got scared  and went on a witch hunt.  Rumors of cars, boats and cash being illegally given to Fuell by Auburn spread immediately. Fuel lost his Scholly.  Auburn got put on probation for 3 or 4 years.  Turns out Fuell lived in a tiny studio apartment and had NO air conditioning.  we are talking 2-a-days in the heat of Alabama.  Some booster gave fuel an air conditioner.  The media exaggeration got us years of probation.

That is the gist of it from what I can remember.   I am old and my memory is not what it used to be. There is a lot more to this story.

Thanks for that info. Now I will remember Don Fuell. 

59 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Maybe true, maybe not. Jboy said yesterday that Auburn never even sent Mario an official offer. He said the administration dragged their feet. His contract does not look like they were trying to out pay anyone. 

If that’s true that’s awful by the BOT. How do you not offer a candidate who is just about as good as any other candidate we have on our short list so far. I wish we could have offered him and outbid Oregon and be done with this nonsense. But again JABA. 

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Yeah, he seems to be reading the leaves as to getting information

I am sure he wants to be a head coach but I would think after that backlash he would not want to be here lol. I think that would be weird AF if he were to stay with a fan base who doesn’t want him and apparently an administration that isn’t all in with him 

49 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Google search Cyberpunk 2077

It's a mess

Heard today Sony pulled it from the PlayStation store. CD Projekt Red must be working under the Microsoft model. Put it out there even if it's buggy as hell and we will fix the issues later...  Hmmm kinda sounds how our Athletics Dept is run..

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am sure he wants to be a head coach but I would think after that backlash he would not want to be here lol. I think that would be weird AF if he were to stay with a fan base who doesn’t want him and apparently an administration that isn’t all in with him 

It's sort of an odd spot that Steele has gotten himself into honestly. Great coordinators with piss poor head coaching records typically don't get massive offers from the larger schools. He'd need to prove himself somewhere in the middle first. Which means, as the nation's highest paid assistant, he'd possibly take a pay cut to be a head coach elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Posters with strong opinions on this board - including me - are not necessarily indicative of MOST Auburn fans, just because they post a lot.

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

If that’s true that’s awful by the BOT. How do you not offer a candidate who is just about as good as any other candidate we have on our short list so far. I wish we could have offered him and outbid Oregon and be done with this nonsense. But again JABA. 

But we do not know if we offered or not.  There are a lot of coaches out there that would be great for Auburn that we are not offering.   We may have been told while feeling him out that he is not interested at all for any price. We could have offered and he said no.  We could have offered and he said yes only to back out when he learned of the conference game,  he could have said yes with his only other demand being "This can not leak out until after the P12CG. "   There may have been something in his background check.  We may already have a different guy for coach and it is not being announced  for some reason.  It could all be a giant clusterf***.  .  May be he had demands that we just could not or would not make.  May be he has personal reasons for staying at OU.   

The point is, we really know nothing.  No facts.  

i read on the rant that bill clark was interviewed and yet i am not sure hardly heard that or even if it is true. back in the day we had a list released of folks we planned to talk to and if they did it this time i have yet to see it. also the longer we mess around the less time a new coach would have to start teaching the new schemes if we are fortunate to go to a bowl game and get those valuable extra practices.

so has anyone even seen a list released by auburn and not some guys just guessing?

21 hours ago, Tiger4life25 said:

I would be excited to see Clark get it and to see what he can do with the resources and money. 

I love all the down votes every mention of Clark gets. The guy is winning at UAB for God's sake. People bash Steele for his record as a HC and Clark is a proven HC that wins and unlike any coach in the country has built a program from the ground up. He brings in talent to UAB that they should not get. No he wouldn't be my first choice but he has proven more than 90% of these wishlist candidates yall are throwing around. 

People love Napier who stepped into a decent spot at UL. Hudspeth had already gotten them through the probation and scholly reductions and had them competitive. Clark has proven more than Napier has at this point. 

Archived