Auburn closing in on Bryan Harsin

Tony4AU

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Boise State isn’t Auburn, and the mountain west is about as far from the SEC as you can get.

Very true but I’d rather a winner from Boise than a loser from Boise.  Why not give the man a chance?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a solid to very good hire. It’s not what we could have had with Cristobal or Napier. But it’s not the disaster I feared was coming after the last two days. We didn’t settle for Neal Brown or Rhett Lashlee or Chip Lindsey. And we didn’t just promote Steele which was the dumb plan that cost us Cristobal. 

Right now I’d say I’m a mixture of relieved and cautiously optimistic. We’ll see. 

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

By given the chance, do you mean being hamstringed by boosters and having to take whatever staff he is told to?

Cause if so, I'm not sold we see that much better of a product.

Look at it this way,  a few years ago everyone was signing the praises of Steele and what a great defensive guy he was.   

Now, if he is told that Steele has to stay and he is ok with that arrangement and they are on the same page.   Harsin is hands down better offensive mind than Gus.   Not even close.   Not even in the same division.   

Now if he gets to hire whom ever he wants and that staff is in sync, I believe given as much time as Gus , Auburn will be a much better team 

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Winning at Boise state is different from the sec genius. We are 40th in recruiting for a reason 

How'd Saban do at MSU?

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t know enough other than a W/L record and my first response was, “Who?”

I asked the same question in December of 1980. The coach was Pat Dye. 

Trying not to switch automatically from anti-Gus to pro-whoever the next guy is but I'm hopeful in the hire.  Personally, I get intrigued by the "non big name" hires because it shows some creativity that goes against modern groupthink.  With everyone else, I'm curious about 1) how he can relate to recruits in the SEC and 2) does he have full autonomy.  At the least, we've gone from paying 7 million a year for 4.5 losses a year to hopefully 3.5ish million, so an automatic increase in our ROI 😂  Also, excited to see a pro-style offense at Auburn.

We are paying a massive buyout and lost a recruiting class for this? You guys can get all warm and fuzzy and call this a “solid hire” if you want. What a sham. 

Top guy from Chris Peterson's coaching tree. My guess is, Harsin has enough confidence in his ability to live with some of the current coaches (we know who) until they retire or smoothly transition out. Then, maybe, he can hire who he wants. Excellent offensive coach. Adaptable. Proven QB coach, and winner. If he can recruit good players from long distances to Boise for god sakes, he SHOULD be able to recruit equally well, if not better at Auburn. The long distance recruiting background make work in our favor. Fresh blood and perspective. Embrace him. Give him a chance.

Archived