Ryan Pugh

TigerHorn

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may actually be the Halloween contest Chizik held for the players that year.  I remember the publicity of it on social media and one of my fraternity brothers was a linebacker for the team.  Every player was dressed up, even Cam Newton.  The winner got a free iPad.  

I watched the movie 48 Hours again the other day, first time in a long time. The N-word didn’t used to mean as much back then as it does today. I was shocked how much both Eddie and Nick Nolte used it towards each other. But don’t recall ever think twice about it back in the 80’s as a symbol of racism. Then again, it is only a word and I don’t consider myself racist in the slightest. Sometimes people see or direct their own feelings into a word or situation. 

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

And no, he didn't dress up as a black person to be funny or cute. As an Auburn student around that time I saw plenty of that and it was meant to poke fun at black people. 

Well I am glad you were able to clear up his intentions for us all. Can you tell me what numbers to play this week?

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This may actually be the Halloween contest Chizik held for the players that year.  I remember the publicity of it on social media and one of my fraternity brothers was a linebacker for the team.  Every player was dressed up, even Cam Newton.  The winner got a free iPad.  

Or this could just be a frat party that are had where many white people, (men and women) dresses up and make fun of black people in secret) 

If you can't see the system in this this you're just plain dumb. In college you have the well off kids, who go to college where they are super entitled and privileged in frats and sororities. They are numb to doing things that doesn't concern them and they don't care and they don't see the problem in doing things like this.

But these are the people that become the decision makers in society and they are out of touch because they just know what they know and when they are grown they can't understand things such as white privilege and systemic racism, and people that do things like black face they may have a couple of black people they know but they aren't familiar with black people and they don't believe that there are struggles in being black. Because of course they struggled in their shelteredlife and look they somehow made it......

We all make mistakes. What's the big deal of black face. They still deserve good jobs lol. That's my favorite post in here

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well I am glad you were able to clear up his intentions for us all. Can you tell me what numbers to play this week?

15 7 56 35 8 27

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Or this could just be a frat party that are had where many white people, (men and women) dresses up and make fun of black people in secret) 

I don't think so.  I would have heard about it.  Word gets around pretty quick between fraternities of what parties are when.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think so.  I would have heard about it.  Word gets around pretty quick between fraternities of what parties are when.

Well there were definitely parties at Auburn that did this. I know well of his frats work

39 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

I watched the movie 48 Hours again the other day, first time in a long time. The N-word didn’t used to mean as much back then as it does today. I was shocked how much both Eddie and Nick Nolte used it towards each other. But don’t recall ever think twice about it back in the 80’s as a symbol of racism. Then again, it is only a word and I don’t consider myself racist in the slightest. Sometimes people see or direct their own feelings into a word or situation. 

Lmfao. What?

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well there were definitely parties at Auburn that did this. I know well of his frats work

Maybe a long time ago.  IFC cracked down big time around 2008 once a pledge died.  I would also know because I was in a fraternity from 2009-2013 at Auburn.  :bananadance:  IFC is trigger happy at removing charters for fraternities out of line (and rightfully so).

Just now, abw0004 said:

Maybe a long time ago.  IFC cracked down big time around 2008.  I would also know because I was in a fraternity from 2009-2013 at Auburn.  :bananadance:  IFC is trigger happy at removing charters for fraternities out of line (and rightfully so).

I know that too. But you really shouldn't add that it's at a football contest unless you know it

We don't know and can't judge College Ryan's intentions from 10 years ago.  It's unfortunate that he decided that was a good idea; hopefully he's repented and changed if he had malice in his heart.  I always think people deserve 2nd chances if they've put in the work and time to change...it's difficult for any university in the public eye to hire him at this point in time.

I'm sure his racism washed off like the black face he put on....can't judge him lol. You guys are harder on football players dropping a pass that a racist act. Hilarious

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Strongly disagree. You don't do blackface. You just don't. It has a very bad history.

First off this was 2010 before people were freaking out over it.  2nd I guess Joy Behar should be fired and any other actor who played a black person.  While we are at it, lets go attack the Wayans brothers for dressing up as white chicks, and any little kid who ever dressed up as an Indian during Halloween, Thanksgiving, or play time.  Lets go a head and remove Biden as he was best friends with a KKK leader.

People change, so me something recant from Pugh that he should be judge on not something from his college days that at the time was not a big deal.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know that too. But you really shouldn't add that it's at a football contest unless you know it

That is why I said "may."  I wasn't sure.  For the record I am not defending Pugh for his actions.  I do not support those antics.  I just do not like that it is automatically assumed it was at a fraternity.  Here is the contest I was referring to:

187534346.jpg.5ff91f07854e520a15d20d6c4021e3b5.jpg

download.jpeg.604d47b47be908fc35a9dabeffc47620.jpeg

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I was in a frat (and decidedly did not grow up in a life of privilege lol)and we had plenty of people that did dumbass things, grew up in a life of privilege, and probably remain clueless about why things like this are so offensive. I do wonder though if an isolated incident as a teen/young adult should haunt us and disqualify us for the rest of our lives. I never did that stuff but I did do stuff that I look back on and cringe; I was probably just more immature than my contemporaries. I guess I continue to be amazed and saddened by how something as simple as the color of one’s skin/race continues to divide humans. Sigh....

Agree, this thread is probably due for a lock or move though....

3 hours ago, AuShucks said:

Ryan Pugh should've known better. Ryan Pugh should've had black AND white friends he could "bounce this Halloween idea off of" and get feedback that, 

Dont recall any of his teammates having problems with it.  

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

And no, he didn't dress up as a black person to be funny or cute. As an Auburn student around that time I saw plenty of that and it was meant to poke fun at black people. 

I was a student at the same time WDE_OxPx, didnt see any of this, my mentor in college was black and a lot of group leadership I was in was black and minority.  Not sure who you hung out with but that may be the issue for you.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is why I said "may."  I wasn't sure.  For the record I am not defending Pugh for his actions.  I do not support those antics.  I just do not like that it is automatically assumed it was at a fraternity.  Here is the contest I was referring to:

187534346.jpg.5ff91f07854e520a15d20d6c4021e3b5.jpg

download.jpeg.604d47b47be908fc35a9dabeffc47620.jpeg

Do you see girls standing around the football party? Why would you be upset that it's thought to be a frat....when they literally do it

Just now, cole256 said:

Do you see girls standing around the football party? Why would you be upset that it's thought to be a frat....when they literally do it

Again, that is why I said "may."  How do you know they literally do it though?  Were you in a fraternity at Auburn?

Just now, abw0004 said:

Again, that is why I said "may."  How do you know they literally do it though?  Were you in a fraternity at Auburn?

I roomed with two guys that were are in frats and my best friend was in s frat and I was constantly recruited to be in a frat. And I saw things personally. Almost had a falling out with one of my room mates. And then another organization had pics and video when they snuck into one that I also saw personally

Archived