Ryan Pugh

TigerHorn

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't see that as racist. There's nothing racist about it.

Strongly disagree. You don't do blackface. You just don't. It has a very bad history.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Strongly disagree. You don't do blackface. You just don't. It has a very bad history.

It was a costume party. A white person can't go to a costume party as a black person without being deemed a racist? Besides which, a true racist would never go to a masquerade party as a person of another race.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It was a costume party. A white person can't go to a costume party as a black person without being deemed a racist? 

It's not acceptable. That's the risk that they take. Are you really this unaware and behind?

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It was a costume party. A white person can't go to a costume party as a black person without being deemed a racist? Besides which, a true racist would never go to a masquerade party as a person of another race.

It's not an issue of racial supremacy it's insensitivity and disrespect. Would you go to a costume party as Jerry Sandusky? Or as a holocaust survivor? Or a Nazi?

It's something you just. do. not. do.

If Ryan is sorry for it, I am all for forgiveness and moving on. But you can't blame Baylor, who would have a very difficult time explaining the pic to black recruits and their families.

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

It's not acceptable. That's the risk that they take. Are you really this unaware and behind?

Apparently I'm way ahead. Has the day not come when the silliness is beneath us and we can all be the same? I'm thinking it has, judging from what I see every day when I'm away from the computer and TV. Part of my ancestry is German. Should I fall all to pieces every time a re-run of Hogan's heroes is shown?

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Apparently I'm way ahead. Has the day not come when the silliness is beneath us and we can all be the same? 

Cool. If we are all the same, why the need to physically paint your face black? 

Just now, AUght2win said:

Cool. If we are all the same, why the need to physically paint your face black? 

Because it was a costume party and he want as Kim Whatever's boy friend, who was black.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Because it was a costume party and he want as Kim Whatever's boy friend, who was black.

So you're speaking out both sides. If we are all the same, then painting your skin to resemble someone is redundant. 

But it's more likely you believe what you said in your last post, which is that paint is necessary to portray any black person. According to you, how else would you know who they are?

The latter is one of the big problems with blackface. Because it's not enough to just imitate clothes, mannerisms, hairstyle, etc. of an individual person, as you would with anyone else. No, blackface implies that race is a central element to who a person is. So much so, that the costume can't do without it.

You're reducing a person to their skin color, by showing that's the most foremost element you see when you see Reggie Bush, or whoever it may be. 

Don't die on this hill. I am sure Ryan regrets it.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

So you're speaking out both sides. If we are all the same, then painting your skin to resemble someone is redundant. 

But it's more likely you believe what you said in your last post, which is that paint is necessary to portray any black person. According to you, how else would you know who they are?

The latter is one of the big problems with blackface. Because it's not enough to just imitate clothes, mannerisms, hairstyle, etc. of an individual person, as you would with anyone else. No, blackface implies that race is a central element to who a person is. So much so, that the costume can't do without it.

You're reducing a person to their skin color, by showing that's the most foremost element you see when you see Reggie Bush, or whoever it may be. 

Don't die on this hill. I am sure Ryan regrets it.

I do believe this entire post is nonsense. Have a nice day.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Apparently I'm way ahead. Has the day not come when the silliness is beneath us and we can all be the same? I'm thinking it has, judging from what I see every day when I'm away from the computer and TV. Part of my ancestry is German. Should I fall all to pieces every time a re-run of Hogan's heroes is shown?

I never thought reruns of Hogan's Heroes would ever be on German TV.  I was on a business trip in German 20 years ago and sure enough, a German TV network was showing Hogan's Heroes.............

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB833513841417463500

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's so not true. Racists love to demean those they see as inferior. Blackface is just one way of expressing it. I've seen plenty of tasteless and cruel racist Halloween costumes. 

In Ryan's case it's hard to say that was his intent without knowing him personally. 

Racism isn't always out front and loud. Sometimes it's disguised or seen as harmless. Or not seen at all. Sometimes people don't realize they are being racist because it's so ingrained in American culture. That's what I hope happened here. I hope it wasn't him being an overt racist and purposefully mean. He should learn from this and resolve to do better.

I grew up with too many childhood friends who are black to be racist. I remember the scene in Remember The Titans where the white LB tells his mom, “if you would just get to know him (his black teammate),” and she said, “ I don’t want to get to know him!” 

That’s where racism is birthed; in not knowing or wanting to know people different from themselves. 

Having said that, it works both ways. It’s not just a white on black issue anymore; it’s the same with blacks on whites in today’s society. Nobody wants to ‘get to know’ each other. If we could fix this, we could change the world.

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, you just see things for the way they are and should be seen. People are triggered and so sensitive about anything and everything. Remember, it's a double standard world we live in:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381707/

^^ Apparently that's all fine. lol.. *cue the folks to argue on how that is different*

Let me clarify my previous post (after looking at Ryan Pugh's pics).......

My Dad was born in 1922. That he was raised a racist is, while not acceptable, sadly normal. That =I= recall seeing "colored bathrooms" and "colored only" water fountains in the bus station in my youth isn't acceptable but is true. That the N word existed in my house and my mouth in my youth isn't acceptable, but it's true.

Ryan Pugh is a generation+ beyond me, 2+ beyond my late Father.

The pics I saw have no excuse. In my generation at AU, the 70s, we tried (often failing) to grow beyond our upbringing. That Ryan....... old enough to be my son..... couldn't see the pain and just wrongness of blackface....... saddens me.

My Dad would've backhanded his a$$.

2 hours ago, clwn said:

No, you just see things for the way they are and should be seen.

Yeah, in 100 years hopefully things like blackface will be inconsequential and people will truly regard skin color as no more important than hair color.

But that isn't the case right now. It REALLY doesn't take that much effort to not paint your face the race of another individual. 

If I can offer anything as a man who grew up in a white world using the N word without thought, saw riots in my town/school over integration, saw a forced truce at the hand of police, graduated to AU and dated white and black women seriously (if carefully, in 1977)........

Ryan Pugh should've known better. Ryan Pugh should've had black AND white friends he could "bounce this Halloween idea off of" and get feedback that, "Dude, that's kinda icky, man, I dunno....." and "Dude, bro, c'mon we've known each too long for you to......

It's wrong. Let him reap as he showed.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

. Would you go to a costume party as Jerry Sandusky? Or as a holocaust survivor? Or a Nazi?

I think that is a horrible comparison. Since when is blackface compared to nazi? 

I see nothing wrong with it personally. society just decided it was racist asking with everything else. 

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think that is a horrible comparison. Since when is blackface compared to nazi? 

I see nothing wrong with it personally. society just decided it was racist asking with everything else. 

A very reasonable comparison with Sandusky OR Nazis when you consider the rapes and tortures of slaves.

Or shall we ignore the brutality of Nazis toward Jewish women AND the brutality of white masters toward black women?

Baylor’s perspective is the right one. They made mistakes in the recent past. They tried to overlook and cover up those mistakes and have paid dearly for it. They have learned that they have to protect their integrity first and that means: if you see something, say something. Good for them. 
     Mr Pugh made a mistake in his past I am sure he regrets now. It happens in our youth. Hopefully he will continue to make better choices and rebuild his reputation and career. I hope that happens and believe it will.  
     That said, we are now in the third decade of the 21st century. Black face is not appropriate and we should be way beyond it. 

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Baylor’s perspective is the right one. They made mistakes in the recent past. They tried to overlook and cover up those mistakes and have paid dearly for it. They have learned that they have to protect their integrity first and that means: if you see something, say something. Good for them. 
     Mr Pugh made a mistake in his past I am sure he regrets now. It happens in our youth. Hopefully he will continue to make better choices and rebuild his reputation and career. I hope that happens and believe it will.  
     That said, we are now in the third decade of the 21st century. Black face is not appropriate and we should be way beyond it. 

That's my issue. As an old man, I'm disgusted by my behavior in 1975. Hell, by 1985 I was..... damn.... I've been a jerk......

Ryan Pugh's in blackface in 2010.

He didn't feel it? Ask somebody? Bounce it off a black teammate? Nothing?

Yeah, until I hear otherwise...... bah-bye.

1 hour ago, AuShucks said:

A very reasonable comparison with Sandusky OR Nazis when you consider the rapes and tortures of slaves.

Or shall we ignore the brutality of Nazis toward Jewish women AND the brutality of white masters toward black women?

how is dressing up in costume comparable to those heinous acts?

I can't believe we have people who don't understand why this is a problem.

And no, he didn't dress up as a black person to be funny or cute. As an Auburn student around that time I saw plenty of that and it was meant to poke fun at black people. 

It's unfortunate that he's still living with it 10 years later in his professional pursuits, but this is not unexpected.

9 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Being racist isn't a mistake, it's always intentional and a character flaw. Anyone with this flaw should not be leaders.

Whatever you do, do NOT open a history book. Ever.

Archived