Serious Thoughts About Political Correctness

AURex

I admit that I an -- on many issues -- a liberal. But even I have concerns about the limits to which we should go in order to acknowledge our white privilege and our historical (admittedly slow) progress to achieve some sort of balance in regards to equal rights.

In San Francisco, the school board has identifies 44 schools that should be re-named because they adulate people who, without question, were racist or in other ways promoted policies that promoted racist, religious persecution, or misogynist policies. Examples are those who were anti-Jewish and Nazi sympathizers, as well as black haters.

But caught up in this movement are decisions to remove schools named after Washington and Lincoln. Why? Well Washington owned slaves and felt it was okay to own slaves. (I have personal evidence that his false teeth had embedded the teeth of slaves.)

But Lincoln? After all, he promulgated the war that (sorta, kinda) "freed" the slaves. Why would he be on such a list? Well, because he was a true Native American  HATER! He had killing of Native Americans on his agenda. His position regarding Native Americans was little different from Southern political positions regarding Blacks/Slaves. To him, they were minorities to be done away with. Yet he is considered one of our great Presidents.

It is hard to go back in history and NOT be affected by the racism/sexism/religious hatred of the times. The great composer Wagner was a devout anti-semanticist loved by Hitler. But much of Europe in that era was Anti-Semitic. Should we hate him and his music because we disapprove of his politics?

What about all the critics and commentators on classical music who were anti-Jewish or homosexual haters? Should our opinions of their music analysis change based on  their political/social proclivities?

This is a complicated problem historically. It is also a problematic issue today.

What

are your thoughts?

15 hours ago, AURex said:

What

are your thoughts?

Simply put, the political correctness has far exceeded any sense of rationale limits. As a society, we have decided we want to remain in constant conflict with everyone about everything. We are a sick lot. 

History is a complicated and nuanced subject and most people have a real problem dealing with both complexity and nuance.  This is particularly true considering the importance of myth in our ethos and how we try to express that myth through our history.

I consider myself a moderate. Conservative on some issues, liberal on others and understanding why some would disagree with my stances on an issue. I am also an African-American and I can admit that things have gone too far when it comes to political correctness. While some acts are needed, a lot of what is going on today has gone beyond compassion and become more of acts of self righteousness. 

What's going on in San Francisco is downright shameful. The focus is on everything but the youth, who should be the primary focus. 

We get a lot of things wrong in Alabama but I could not stomach living around this type of stuff constantly. 

I honestly don't know how we fix the extremes. Its either the foolishness in San Francisco, or the foolishness that occured on January 6th.

I'm not necessarily against removing names off public buildings but what does that solve at the end of the day? When George Floyd was killed, corporations started pandering to any surface level act of support to Black people with little to no substance. 

We have real problems in this country that need more than surface layer wipe-downs for temporary cool points. 

i personally think not enough buildings are named after me.

On 2/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, aubiefifty said:

i personally think not enough buildings are named after me.

Putting a shingle on the Outhouse this afternoon.... :big:

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Putting a shingle on the Outhouse this afternoon.... :big:

works for me...............make it a three seater so we can discuss the state of the world while receiving payback from that latenight taco bell run. lol

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

works for me...............make it a three seater so we can discuss the state of the world while receiving payback from that latenight taco bell run. lol

Done...We can sit out by the fire pit and and burn some of God's Love in a bong and swil a few beers...after it gets warmer...

25 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Done...We can sit out by the fire pit and and burn some of God's Love in a bong and swil a few beers...after it gets warmer...

i want to try some Melero if i spelled it right. i did i just checked.

Archived