LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

50 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I'll never understand the desire to tear down AU players who are committed to the team and trying hard.

Sigh. That's not what's happening at all. 

People are making him out to be better than he is. It's not a "desire to tear down" anyone or anything to correct that inaccuracy. There is no emotion in this. The emotion tends to come from those who want to defend certain players and coaches at the expense of honest assessments of the team.

55 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

you're going to have a hard time finding a player that will outwork him

You could say this about many guys on the team. You could probably say it about some of the OLs to whose defense nobody really seems to rush when all of Bo's problems are placed on them and the calls for replacement are shouted out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here below are Harsin's comments on bringing another QB into the group. You can tell Harsin was a QB and an OC before, and how he believes in competition. It reinforces some posts on here that figured Harsin thought they needed more competition w the QBs. And how he expects them to respond to someone coming in and competing. Harsin has the right mantra when it comes to coaching. I like it.

E2MW0ZHWYAIhog_.thumb.png.98f54d5f6488fc4a280ce9b6b56f110a.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

He threw more passes over the middle during that USCe game than we did all year

I'll be really interested to see how our offense plays out in '21 if Bo is our QB.  Gus's inability to use 50% of the field, poor playing calling, and awful play design (not to mention he's never developed a QB) has to have hurt Bo to some degree.  How much?  We'll see this fall.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'll be really interested to see how our offense plays out in '21 if Bo is our QB.  Gus's inability to use 50% of the field, poor playing calling, and awful play design (not to mention he's never developed a QB) has to have hurt Bo to some degree.  How much?  We'll see this fall.

I Agree. It will be interesting to see how Harsin's offense allows the QB more options and better percentage plays to complete when passing.

One key for Bo( and there are a few others), is how accurate can he be, when he has to now throw more timing throws over the middle of the field? And has he improved his mechanics enough to make those throws...

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree. It will be interesting to see how Harsin's offense allows the QB more options and better percentage plays to complete when passing.

One key for Bo( and there are a few others), is how accurate can he be, when he has to now throw more timing throws over the middle of the field? And has he improved his mechanics enough to make those throws...

I agree with you, especially on high percentage plays.  Bo's downfield % is terrible.  but a lot of that is because every ball over 10 yards was a bomb.  So how much is that terrible % b/c of so many low % pass plays?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. That's not what's happening at all. 

People are making him out to be better than he is. It's not a "desire to tear down" anyone or anything to correct that inaccuracy. There is no emotion in this. The emotion tends to come from those who want to defend certain players and coaches at the expense of honest assessments of the team.

You could say this about many guys on the team. You could probably say it about some of the OLs to whose defense nobody really seems to rush when all of Bo's problems are placed on them and the calls for replacement are shouted out. 

In my best Dwight Schrute voice, “false”. Everyone feels that they are on the rational side and “the others” are on the emotional side. Everyone is just correcting the errors of “the others”. The reality is that there is plenty of emotion and fudging of analysis on both “sides”, and now people are starting to react to each other. There shouldn’t be a “side” other than the AU side, but AU fans seem to love to do this.

My personal “correction” would be that a few people seem to be asserting that, at this moment, Finley is a better talent than Bo (so if neither improves anything, Finley is the better prospect). This seems based primarily on Finley’s one really good game (USCe), and seems to ignore the fact that in 2020 Bo finished higher than Finley in *every single QB stat*. Bo has some problems to correct. Finley has some problems to correct. As far as I can tell, neither is a bad guy, both wear the Orange and Blue (now) and both deserve some level of support.

I’m happy to defend the OL who are trying, and I will (it is, honestly, harder to go through and really see how the OL are performing, individually). I did see multiple plays last year where at least one of our OL (won’t name names) was largely just watching the play happen, so I was pretty frustrated with that guy last year. I do think it’s unfair not to credit Bo’s effort. No one could call his effort average, even compared to other D1 players.

As for who starts next year, no one really knows, because there are dozens of factors that will impact that decision, some of which might include apples-to-oranges comparisons (In offensive system A, I would rather have a QB who is pretty good at X than a QB who is super great at Y). I’m very glad that we got Finley, because we need another option in the QB room, and I honestly hope it works out where all three guys get their chance to become great players at AU.

Also, in case it's not clear, I'm being logical and everyone else is being emotional (what was the sarcasm color, again?).

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, I know what the point was. I disagree. Under 200 total yards (for a "dual-threat" QB), under 50% completion, 2 turnovers, a first down inside the LSU 5 that turned into zero points, defense only gave up 23 points... QB1 was a huge factor in us losing that game. 

You know how we set up the one passing TD? With this. Absolutely awful throw off his back foot that should've been picked off. Instead we get a lucky PI call and just like that we're inside the 10 and Gus dials up an extremely rare play that makes it easy for his QB.

I'm assuming that you won't deny that he had a much better game in 2020 in Auburn.  If you are going to trash the guy for his bad games, you have to give him props for good outings as well.  I believe that Bo needs the competition in the QB room to perform at his best.  I've watched film of both Bo and Finley.  There isn't a throw that one of them can make that the other isn't capable of making.  On film, Bo appears to have a better command of the offense, but until they are both using the same playbook, that is hard to judge.

Edited by AU9377

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I'm assuming that you won't deny that he had a much better game in 2020 in Auburn.  If you are going to trash the guy for his bad games, you have to give him props for good outings as well.

No, when pointing out that he didn't play well in a game that someone else brought up, I don't have to list every game in which he played well. That doesn't make sense at all 

The comparison was freshman year (on the road) to freshman year (on the road). Sophomore year (at home) is immaterial.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

In my best Dwight Schrute voice, “false”. Everyone feels that they are on the rational side and “the others” are on the emotional side. Everyone is just correcting the errors of “the others”. The reality is that there is plenty of emotion and fudging of analysis on both “sides”, and now people are starting to react to each other. There shouldn’t be a “side” other than the AU side, but AU fans seem to love to do this.

My personal “correction” would be that a few people seem to be asserting that, at this moment, Finley is a better talent than Bo (so if neither improves anything, Finley is the better prospect). This seems based primarily on Finley’s one really good game (USCe), and seems to ignore the fact that in 2020 Bo finished higher than Finley in *every single QB stat*. Bo has some problems to correct. Finley has some problems to correct. As far as I can tell, neither is a bad guy, both wear the Orange and Blue (now) and both deserve some level of support.

I’m happy to defend the OL who are trying, and I will (it is, honestly, harder to go through and really see how the OL are performing, individually). I did see multiple plays last year where at least one of our OL (won’t name names) was largely just watching the play happen, so I was pretty frustrated with that guy last year. I do think it’s unfair not to credit Bo’s effort. No one could call his effort average, even compared to other D1 players.

As for who starts next year, no one really knows, because there are dozens of factors that will impact that decision, some of which might include apples-to-oranges comparisons (In offensive system A, I would rather have a QB who is pretty good at X than a QB who is super great at Y). I’m very glad that we got Finley, because we need another option in the QB room, and I honestly hope it works out where all three guys get their chance to become great players at AU.

Also, in case it's not clear, I'm being logical and everyone else is being emotional (what was the sarcasm color, again?).

Okay, but you said that people want to tear him down and that's inaccurate. That is you projecting emotion. 

18 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I remember Trent Dilfer talking about SW when he got the nod after JJ flamed so badly. TD said he was amazed that SW wasn't already the starter and that he was one of the better prospects he had worked with doing the E11.

Yeah I remember that, and laughed about it then too. Remember Trent Dilfer is the WORST QB to ever win a super bowl on a team with one of the best defenses in the history of the game (85 Bears also). Dilfer's career completion 55.45%,  113 TD's, 129 INT's,  70.2 QB rating (old system). I wouldn't be making player decisions based on his evaluation.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah I remember that, and laughed about it then too. Remember Trent Dilfer is the WORST QB to ever win a super bowl on a team with one of the best defenses in the history of the game (85 Bears also). Dilfer's career completion 55.45%,  113 TD's, 129 INT's,  70.2 QB rating (old system). I wouldn't be making player decisions based on his evaluation.

What does that have to do with anything? Most scouts in basically every sport are failed players. In fact, most coaches themselves are failed players. A former NFL quarterback, regardless of how good or not good they were, has more authority than most to comment on the position. Trent Dilfer said what he said because Sean White showed up to the Elite 11 and really performed in terms of fundamentals, accuracy, etc.. He was horribly miscast in Malzahn's offense but would have probably been a strong starter in the right system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

He was horribly miscast in Malzahn's offense but would have probably been a strong starter in the right system.

Aaron Murray wouldn't have looked much better than Sean here.

Sean White wouldn't have looked much worse than Murray there. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aaron Murray wouldn't have looked much better than Sean here.

Sean White wouldn't have looked much worse than Murray there. 

It hurts when you just type it out like that.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

It hurts when you just type it out like that.

I used to call Sean a very, very poor man's Drew Brees, but it was either @cole256 or @Barnacle that offered the much better Aaron Murray comparison I think. Guys that could extend the play, keep their eyes downfield, and make most of their passes. (And, despite his mom, Murray ended up proving to be one tough SOB.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I used to call Sean a very, very poor man's Drew Brees, but it was either @cole256 or @Barnacle that offered the much better Aaron Murray comparison I think. Guys that could extend the play, keep their eyes downfield, and make most of their passes. (And, despite his mom, Murray ended up proving to be one tough SOB.)

Don't think I can take credit for that one 👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that was @Barnacle sounds too good to be from me 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

This may be the most ridiculous post I have seen all week. My lord. What does one's athletic abilities have to do with teaching, coaching, or recognizing talent? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

No, when pointing out that he didn't play well in a game that someone else brought up, I don't have to list every game in which he played well. That doesn't make sense at all 

The comparison was freshman year (on the road) to freshman year (on the road). Sophomore year (at home) is immaterial.

We can chase this around a circle all day, but it isn't that important.  At the end of the day, we all want the same thing, to win games.  From everything I have seen to date, Bo still gives us the best chance at accomplishing that in 2021.  My opinion isn't based on some type of weird fan loyalty to a player.  It's simply based on what I have seen and my knowledge of the game, in addition to the circumstances that surround the situation.

For further comparison, has anyone seen Finley spike the ball? Does it go forwards or backwards?

Sorry. 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

As pointed out, this is fairly absurd. The fact that he PLAYED quarterback in the Super Bowl gives him more credibility than 99% of the guys out there making bulls*** evaluations

• Thanks 1

As a couple of guys have already pointed out; we are a better team today than last week because we now have depth and credible competition at the QB spot.  Also, the coaching staff  has ID'd critical needs and is going out and addressing them...and QB depth/talent was/is a critical need if we are expected to compete in the SEC-W.  I loved what Harsin said about the QB being a competitor and needing to focus on getting better vs themselves.    

Congrats to the staff and welcome to Auburn TJ.  Glad to see a staff that is focused on the team being better.  Good luck and now we will see the best man win the QB job.

I was in Auburn on Monday.  The family is staying in Columbus near Ft. Benning visiting my son who is between Airborne and Ranger School right now.  So both life long Auburn fans; but my middle guy had only been to Auburn when he was under 2; and my youngest had never been to the campus; he was born after we moved to TX.   They thought the campus was beautiful; consistent architecture, so much green...and the campus is so compact compared to Texas A&M.  We walked the campus and town; a ton of building has gone on and is going on.  

• Like 1