LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

7 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

Dilfer also said SW could “paint pictures with his balls.”

Wow!  Impressive, but not something I’d like to see.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At some point we have to admit, and I think the guy might be marginally overrated, Stingley deserved that award far more than Bo

Taking the bias away and just being a football fan, you’re right. But you know how football is. Most awards are just QB awards.
If Trevor Lawrence didn’t miss games from corona then he would’ve got the Heisman. 

Ian Book finished ahead of Kyle Pitts in the Heisman voting. That’s how you know something’s wrong 

Such an Auburn thread. Instead of "look at our wealth of QB potential" it's "our starting QB is overrrated and head coach sucks if DD doesnt work out". Like reading a Chicago Cubs board.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I mean, an argument could be made that TJ has had success while being the starting QB. His first game he lit up a defense that destroyed Bo Nix. He also lit up Arky. 

Correct, those were the two games they won with him at QB. When you factor in the three they lost with him at QB his numbers fell off. 

Something to ponder: If Bo had spent the last two years playing for Lane Kiffin, Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley, or Dan Mullens, how much different would he look and play today? I have seen every flaw Nix has the past two years. But I have also plenty of flashes of Bo the 5 star QB. He (and SW, and Stidham, and JJ, and M Willis, etc...) saw stunted growth/regression playing for Gump Malzahn. I believe a year or two with Harsin/Bobo and he will reach his potential. Much like the development seen with Kellen Mond from Jimbo. And DD and TJ will be on accelerated growth curves as well. 

• Like 6

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Correct, those were the two games they won with him at QB. When you factor in the three they lost with him at QB his numbers fell off. 

Yup. Same trend with Bo in his 2nd season as a full time starter. I.E. UGA, USCe, Alabama.

2 hours ago, dilligas said:

Wow!  Impressive, but not something I’d like to see.

sponge painting was a thing at one time.........lol

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I mean, an argument could be made that TJ has had success while being the starting QB. His first game he lit up a defense that destroyed Bo Nix. He also lit up Arky. 

Who was the better QB when LSU visited AU last year?

Bo - 18/24 300yds, 3TD, 0 Int

TJ - 13/24 143yds, 0TD, 2 Int, 1 fumble

I know, TJ was a freshman.  Bo was a freshman the year before at LSU(National Champ LSU).  His numbers weren't great that day, but he did enough to keep us in the game and didn't look like a deer in headlights.  We lost that game 23-20.

I would love for TJ to catch fire, but people should really temper their expectations.  This isn't a Jarrett Stidham type transfer.  TJ is a project that would have been LSU's 3rd QB this fall.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

All I'm happy about is we're a better team today than we were yesterday thanks to this addition.

Finley would have to be REALLY impressive to unseat Bo at this point. In which case we're in great hands.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is a great pickup not because he is a sure fire great QB but it shows what this staff has done since they arrived. They were faced with a very weak recruiting class they addressed some of the issues but there were a lot of holes to be filled. They went through a Winter Program and Spring Program to see who bought into their philosophy and who worked and improved and they apparently found some players that they felt should move on and they made a list of what they needed to fill the holes left by recruiting class, graduation and those who went the transport portal.  Then they have started to fill the holes from late pickups like Brooks and transfer portal where they have been slowly but surely finding players most with 2 or more years of eligibility but where needed 1 year.  They started on the D side and have added some needed pieces to D-Line and DB. We all liked that but the general feeling was the O needed the most help either depth or starter quality. Finley is the 1st piece to fall in place on the O side probably for depth but with some potential as a starter. We are now seeing some OT's they we might be trying to get an RB and a WR. They are doing this by understanding how to use Blue Shirt.  Whether they are successful in the OT, RB,WR search and commit phase is important but to me the more important thing is how they have gone about trying to fill the holes.

At the beginning one thing that Harsin did was beef up the recruiting staff I see the recent signees as a direct result of the staff having capability to research and find the players who can help us next year while we slowly build up momentum in our recruiting long term.

As many have pointed out there are plus and minuses on Finley. He is a big strong QB with a very good arm and is willing and able to stand in the pocket to get off a throw even if he knows he will be hit that is a plus. He is not very mobile and at times he makes bad decisions which is why he had high interception percentage.  With two true QB developers on staff he is well worth the risk as studying film and work with the coaches he can improve his decision making. While Bo did not shine in A-day game one thing he did well was make the right decisions that he didn't make last year at times. That was just an A-day game but it does give me hope that these coaches can help a QB reach their potential which is great for Bo and great for Finley. At worse we have a solid backup at a thin position and at best we have somebody who pushes Bo to be a lot better or who is able to become QB1 this is a win win to me.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

All I'm happy about is we're a better team today than we were yesterday thanks to this addition.

Finley would have to be REALLY impressive to unseat Bo at this point. In which case we're in great hands.

Either Finley would have to be REALLY impressive or Bo REALLY isn’t that good after all. Time will tell

SW couldn't throw the deep ball to save his life. Kid had heart though. I'd take his intermediate game with NM's arm and call it a day.

26 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Either Finley would have to be REALLY impressive or Bo REALLY isn’t that good after all. Time will tell

Doesn’t  have to be really impressive to win. That is why he is even considered , even after playing inconsistent himself last year . This is the message people need to accept and recognize as to what we have at that position right now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I know, TJ was a freshman.  Bo was a freshman the year before at LSU(National Champ LSU).  His numbers weren't great that day, but he did enough to keep us in the game and didn't look like a deer in headlights.  We lost that game 23-20.

I would love for TJ to catch fire, but people should really temper their expectations.  This isn't a Jarrett Stidham type transfer.  TJ is a project that would have been LSU's 3rd QB this fall.

Bo has looked like a deer in the headlights in numerous games. 2019 UF comes to mind. I would argue our Defense kept us in those games not Bo. If we had gotten average or better QB play we would have won those games. Road Bo is Bad Bo.

You keep saying this isn't a Jarrett Stidham type transfer....no #$%. I don't believe anybody has made a claim as such. Tj is a project. He would have been LSU's 3rd best QB this fall most likely. That is all true. He may be AU's best QB this fall. He may not be. We will see. 

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I would say it is a better comparison to see how QB's fared against common opponents. Way more variables to just say one is better based off a head to head game. You really can't come to a conclusion based on common opponents, but it is a better indicator IMO than head to head.

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Bo was a freshman the year before at LSU(National Champ LSU).  His numbers weren't great that day, but he did enough to keep us in the game and didn't look like a deer in headlights.  We lost that game 23-20.

Huh? He went 157/1/1. He had a rushing TD but he also had a fumble and -16 yds rushing. Even with CFB's dumb insistence on counting sack yards, but there's no way that's a winning rushing performance from a QB like him.

I watched that game. Bo was not good. And I can't think of a win due to him putting the team on his back. Not that Malzahn's offense really allowed for QBs not named Marshall or Newton to do that.

I've yet to read a convincing argument on Bo vs TJ...just wait until the season, then we'll know.  No need to discuss on message boards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

6683301c0997d299b221e388104ef558d084c304

That gif is pretty mesmerizing to watch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

This. Lets pump the brakes. We all know Auburn's history with high expectations. 

Edited by TAYLORKEETON

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh? He went 157/1/1. He had a rushing TD but he also had a fumble and -16 yds rushing. Even with CFB's dumb insistence on counting sack yards, but there's no way that's a winning rushing performance from a QB like him.

I watched that game. Bo was not good. And I can't think of a win due to him putting the team on his back. Not that Malzahn's offense really allowed for QBs not named Marshall or Newton to do that.

The point was that, even though as a freshman playing a team that would go on to win the natty, Bo didn't lose that game for us either.  Contrast that to Finley's performance in Auburn the next year and you will see a QB that did play a big part in LSU losing that game.

Edited by AU9377

Just now, AU9377 said:

The point was that even though, as a freshman playing a team that would go on to win the natty, Bo didn't lose that game for us either.  Contrast that to Finley's performance in Auburn the next year and you will see a QB that did play a big part in LSU losing that game.

Oh, I know what the point was. I disagree. Under 200 total yards (for a "dual-threat" QB), under 50% completion, 2 turnovers, a first down inside the LSU 5 that turned into zero points, defense only gave up 23 points... QB1 was a huge factor in us losing that game. 

You know how we set up the one passing TD? With this. Absolutely awful throw off his back foot that should've been picked off. Instead we get a lucky PI call and just like that we're inside the 10 and Gus dials up an extremely rare play that makes it easy for his QB.

I'll never understand the desire to tear down AU players who are committed to the team and trying hard. If the guy breaks a teammate's jaw, or can't stay out of trouble from parties and police, sure, dump on them, but why go out of the way to dump on a player that is busting his ass *trying* to win? I'm seeing people just cherry pick either good or bad moments to make what are honestly biased comparisons. Is either QB perfect? Nope. Both have made bone headed throws and while Bo bails on the pocket too early, Finley stays in it too long. Bo may or may not improve his accuracy and pocket presence, but you're going to have a hard time finding a player that will outwork him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1