LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

13 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Something else that I've seen from Finley that's pretty inherent to QBs is the ability to hang in the pocket through contact. Maybe its a side-effect of him not being SUPER Mobile, but he will definitely make a throw through contact.

That's promising because it means longer-developing routes have a chance without your QB rolling to one side and giving away what routes he's looking at since few QBs in the NFL can make crossbody throws and only one can do that downfield.  (Maybe 2 if you add Rodgers in there with Mahomes)

Significant. A QB that knows and understands he's a big guy with the courage to play through contact.

20 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Yeah, he is the real deal if you watch his South Carolina film (The team that beat our Bo Nix Led offense.)

I'd be shocked if LSU decided to only attack the #1 CB in CFB like Gus did.  Horn dominating that game was more on himself/Gus than Bo

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, I've seen his film playing against good defenses like Auburn, as a True freshman, in his FIRST road game...

He played 5 games, so I don't know what he will do over the long haul. 

All i am saying, is if he learns the playbook, shows his ability to the coaches that he can execute their offense, then it's a matter of how Bo does, whether Finley HAS to come in and see what he can do.

What we know we have is a big strong armed QB, who showed a lot of his ability in those 5 games, and now has the chance to learn even more under Harson/Bobo, whether it ends up happening this year...or next year.

I think that's a good way to look at it. In the long term, the smart thing both for Auburn and him, is not to put too much on him too early. Let him absorb the offense at his own pace and give Bo a push, that's all good. But the last thing we want is to give him more than he can handle and ruin him for the future. If he learns the complete offense in '21 and then makes a big push to start in '22, that would be fine. More than that in '21 is gravy. 

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I think that Finley will definitely have some really good success if he knows the system well.

His mechanics are great but his issue at LSU was being so new to the system and a predominantly pocket passer. It made his processing a LOT slower as well as having issue when the offensive line couldn't hold because of probably needing to focus on route combinations, finding his hot, etc.

This guy can be a stud because his arm strength, frame, and compatibility with pro-style passing concepts w/ the opportunity to have multiple reads is there. Also if you haven't heard him speak, the kid is incredibly intelligent and poised for essentially a Freshman.

(70) #LSU quarterback TJ Finley talks spring competition and more - YouTube (Volume is fine, just cant hear the first question)

(70) Inside the Huddle with TJ FInley - YouTube

Mentally I love everything I’ve read and seen from dude. I hope it comes together for him and he’s starting one day soon 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd be shocked if LSU decided to only attack the #1 CB in CFB like Gus did.  Horn dominating that game was more on himself/Gus than Bo

Funny thing is, Horn is good, though I think he gets a bit too much credit for being the best. He was put on big receivers which is his bread and butter and otherwise if they have the ability to create route separation or can get off of a jam at the LOS he was cooked.

The play he intercepted Finley on was an aberration in that he was back with inside leverage and faked flipping his hips knowing it was go/fade and Finley threw the fade letting him cut under and scoop it. We literally only gave Seth William simple vertical type routes against Horn which he feasts on. Same with many of the other offenses.

But there were some legitimately special throws and plays made that game by Finley which show you the upside. And this is as a True Freshman with 4 more years of eligibility. If Bo can't fix the few hiccups he has, I don't see how he can start over Finley if Finley protects the ball. I'm sure Bobo would be more than happy to rely on the ground game w/ some play action or RPOs to basically keep possession of the ball and let Mason's D smother offenses.

Its a much more viable game plan and gives Auburn an offensive identity compared to what we have now, where we still don't know what Auburn really does well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I'm sure Bobo would be more than happy to rely on the ground game w/ some play action or RPOs to basically keep possession of the ball and let Mason's D smother offenses.

I feel like he’d want to open the year up doing this regardless of who’s the starter. I personally think that behooves Finley with his rocket and more consistent foot work, but it also depends on what style of running the OCs prefer. Finley is an inside threat that could pair well with Tank’s inside-outside ability, while Nix can (CAN) be this semi-quick decisive runner that gets yards off tackle. 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like he’d want to open the year up doing this regardless of who’s the starter. I personally think that behooves Finley with his rocket and more consistent foot work, but it also depends on what style of running the OCs prefer. Finley is an inside threat that could pair well with Tank’s inside-outside ability, while Nix can (CAN) be this semi-quick decisive runner that gets yards off tackle. 

This is assuming he even needs to get involved in the run game considering that with Finley the quick passing game is opened up. One thing he excels in above any other QB I saw in 2020 is the short timing routes. The ball literally disappears and reappears in the WRs hands with room to run.

That's what west coast outside zone teams do is use their quick routes like run plays to stay on schedule while letting the backs do their thing. No QB runs needed though you can mix them in. I just don't know if running is his strength.

• Like 5

One thing is certain.  Mike Bobo knows first hand everything Bo has experienced, because he has, for the most part, been in his shoes.  Bobo's dad was a very successful high school coach in Thomasville, GA. This is a good description of that relationship. Bo's grandfather and Bobo's father knew each other well while coaching at similar high schools in South Georgia.

https://csurams.com/news/2019/7/22/football-ties-to-thomasville-remain-strong-for-mike-bobo.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

But there were some legitimately special throws and plays made that game by Finley which show you the upside. And this is as a True Freshman with 4 more years of eligibility. If Bo can't fix the few hiccups he has, I don't see how he can start over Finley if Finley protects the ball.

This is pretty much where I am.  Finley is an elite talent with a lot of upside.  I think he can be developed into a great QB.  His biggest issue has been picks and it plagued him at LSU this spring.  He threw 2 in their spring game.  Let him mature, develop the decision making, and the mental part of the game will match his physical ability.  Not many TrFr/Sophs should be starting the in the SEC.

I do think Bo will look better with a better offense, but TJ is a much better back up plan than we have right now.  Loy is terrible and DD is a TrFr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Thanks, I haven't been able to post much today. We're on a field trip lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

This is assuming he even needs to get involved in the run game considering that with Finley the quick passing game is opened up. One thing he excels in above any other QB I saw in 2020 is the short timing routes. The ball literally disappears and reappears in the WRs hands with room to run.

That's what west coast outside zone teams do is use their quick routes like run plays to stay on schedule while letting the backs do their thing. No QB runs needed though you can mix them in. I just don't know if running is his strength.

Nah I get you, kinda like what Norv Turner wanted to do with Cam in 2018 before he got really banged up. 
I also don’t think you NEED to run him, I just see a little Cardale (not quite as fast) where you let him go on a QB draw and he’s getting you an automatic 7 yards, with decent blocking. But like you said, the guy has so much power behind that arm, whats the value in letting him absorb hits when the crossers, screens and slants are gonna always be there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Very well spoken young man. Sounds like he's eager to get to work. Sounds confident without giving any impression of the least bit of arrogance. Love that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Some really interesting things said here, if I’m looking into it correctly. Seems like the SEC transfer tule is going to be a reoccurring discussion for many guys going forward, which I think could help even out this conference, one day. 
It also would appear, even though some folks on here felt differently, that the difficulty of the games that he faced truly did matter to the coaches. 

47 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Been going over the playbook for half a week with coach Bobo....I likey 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure I buy he was used as a pawn to push Bo.  We need depth at QB and he's extremely talented, just Raw. He's a guy with starting experience, something we don't have, and a guy that could develop to be very good and possibly a replacement if Bo doesn't workout the first 5 games of the season.

He was a need and I think we got a really good QB.

I didn't mean to suggest he is in any way a pawn. There are three major reasons I think they brought in Finley: 1) He is a big, strong kid with a good arm; 2) Need someone to provide a legitimate competition with Bo...and if it's a legitimate competition, Finley will win if Bo doesn't get any better; 3) To provide a quality backup with SEC experience, provided he doesn't win the job outright.

• Like 2

SIAP but keep in mind also that Harsin more or less has a mulligan on this year and Finley gives him 1-2 more years of eligibility than Bo does. If the competition is really close, one might assume that the veteran gets the nod but in this situation it might make more sense to play the baby.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Very well spoken young man. Sounds like he's eager to get to work. Sounds confident without giving any impression of the least bit of arrogance. Love that. 

Confident, not cocky. That's the kind of thing I like to see in a player. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

SIAP but keep in mind also that Harsin more or less has a mulligan on this year and Finley gives him 1-2 more years of eligibility than Bo does. If the competition is really close, one might assume that the veteran gets the nod but in this situation it might make more sense to play the baby.  

That does make some sense, especially since a close battle likely means Finley has the higher ceiling even for this season. I can't help but to wonder how this is all going to play out now.

• Like 1

We are doing really well in the Transfer Portal. The transfers are buying what Harsin and crew are selling. I wonder if this will translate to our high school recruiting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Nah I get you, kinda like what Norv Turner wanted to do with Cam in 2018 before he got really banged up. 
I also don’t think you NEED to run him, I just see a little Cardale (not quite as fast) where you let him go on a QB draw and he’s getting you an automatic 7 yards, with decent blocking. But like you said, the guy has so much power behind that arm, whats the value in letting him absorb hits when the crossers, screens and slants are gonna always be there?

ANother plus for this QB, is his ability to see the play from a 6'6" or 6'7" perspective than a 6'1" ot 6'2" QB...

He can throw the RB delay/screens or the slant or the sit down TE pass plays and not get the ball batted down as much or see the play develop better with that height...

The one flaw I saw in those game highlights, is he does throw the ball into traffic too much at times or throws it anyway to a covered target when he panics a little from the pressure...

But also saw a guy who stood in the pocket and delivered strikes when he knew he was going to get hit in front of him..

Inconsistency from a true freshman QB is expected, so not surprised. Now it's a matter of if he can improve on his mistakes...and operate in this new offense of Harsin/Bobo...

Edited by steeleagle

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

ANother plus for this QB, is his ability to see the play from a 6'6" or 6'7" perspective than a 6'1" ot 6'2" QB...

He can throw the RB delay/screens or the slant or the sit down TE pass plays and not get the ball batted down as much or see the play develop better with that height...

The one flaw I saw in those game highlights, is he does throw the ball into traffic too much at times or throws it anyway to a covered target when he panics a little from the pressure...

But also saw a guy who stood in the pocket and delivered strikes when he knew he was going to get hit in front of him..

Inconsistency from a true freshman QB is expected, so not surprised. Now it's a matter of if he can improve on his mistakes...and operate in this new offense of Harsin/Bobo...

I don’t think height is Bo’s detriment so I didn’t mention it, but it’d be pretty ******* difficult to get a pass batted down from Finley, which might be a pro with this OLine