USMNT SOCCER

AUBwins

Almost like we are lulling them to sleep then quick strike but can't get that last pass or clear shot.  We have kept possession for the most part.  30 degrees out there on the pitch tonight. 

Pulisic tries to draw a penalty in the box, but play continues. 

A bit disappointing on the score at the half.  0 to 0

Goooooooaaaaallllll! Anthony Robinson! 1-0

Caught it on the nice header pass to the opposite side of box.  Crossed up the goaltender. Beautiful breakthrough goal. 

Edited by AUBwins

USA keeping the pressure on.  Another corner.  

McKennie just misses the header. 

Edited by AUBwins

America holds on for the 1-0 win and 3 points.  Very sloppy play but Salvador never gave a good threat on goal. Canada next, who came into this night up 1 point on US. Supposedly they are very depleted at the moment and we have a chance to steal a road win.  Must play better though.  

• Like 1

It's an ugly W, but a W. Let's steal 3 from Canada. 

Hope Weston and Sergiño are good to go. 

• Like 2

Pulisek didnt play like himself after "Shrek" Robinson plowed into him  near beginning of game. I can see Christian hanging up his USMNT cleats too soon because of his propensity to get hurt. A lot. 

Welp we got Dos y Cero'd. Points looking a little nervous at the moment.  Tied for 2nd with Mexico (thank goodness they drawed), and Panama only 1 point back.  Must win against Honduras with games at Mexico, Panama at home, and close out against Costa Rica on road. 

21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Welp we got Dos y Cero'd. Points looking a little nervous at the moment.  Tied for 2nd with Mexico (thank goodness they drawed), and Panama only 1 point back.  Must win against Honduras with games at Mexico, Panama at home, and close out against Costa Rica on road. 

Was not an enjoyable game to watch

just don’t believe in this team.  The sum is less than the parts …

Concacaf has never had more 2d round world cup-caliber teams. We're good and so are Canada, Mex and Panama. Unfortunately we havent had a world class caliber defender since Cherundolo and this D pool gives Ber nothing to work with back there (thus his overalapping wing defenders to keep teams from playing the entire game in our end). Grassroots D development failure by US soccer. Bright side, Canada is playing very good ball now and caught us when our strikers are cold (pun intended). Our keepers and mids are solid and deep. Up next for US - a Honduras team that's lost every qualifying game (4-1 to US) except their tie against... Canada. In Toronto. Sheesh.

US jumped out to a 2-0 at the half.   Great start.  5 degrees in StPaul MN for the game.  Why do we schedule the northern games in winter and southern games in Summer? Geez. 

22 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

US jumped out to a 2-0 at the half.   Great start.  5 degrees in StPaul MN for the game.  Why do we schedule the northern games in winter and southern games in Summer? Geez. 

They did some Mickey Mouse crap to give us an edge over *Honduras*. We flew 4 hours from Canada, they flew 11 hrs from somewhere 80 degrees warmer. (Literally.) Guess it worked but still not exactly pride inspiring.

Goal!!! Pulisic scores within the first couple of minutes in game. Up 3-0.

Weah has been quite fun to watch.  Would love to see a pepi goal. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They did some Mickey Mouse crap to give us an edge over *Honduras*. We flew 4 hours from Canada, they flew 11 hrs from somewhere 80 degrees warmer. (Literally.) Guess it worked but still not exactly pride inspiring.

Definitely worked but why resort to that against Honduras? Costa Rica or Panama, Maybe. 

• Like 1

I had tickets to the game last night and was planning on being in St Paul, but work duties forced me to give them away.  After seeing dudes get hypothermia, I'm cool with missing that game.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Concacaf has never had more 2d round world cup-caliber teams. We're good and so are Canada, Mex and Panama. Unfortunately we havent had a world class caliber defender since Cherundolo and this D pool gives Ber nothing to work with back there (thus his overalapping wing defenders to keep teams from playing the entire game in our end). Grassroots D development failure by US soccer. Bright side, Canada is playing very good ball now and caught us when our strikers are cold (pun intended). Our keepers and mids are solid and deep. Up next for US - a Honduras team that's lost every qualifying game (4-1 to US) except their tie against... Canada. In Toronto. Sheesh.

GGG is playing the wrong CB combo most of the time.  You realize that in 6 games played together, Zimmerman and Miles have given up 1 goal.  And that was on a PK.

USA has a +14 goal differential when those two are paired as the CBs.

Why GGG doesn't stay with that combo is beyond me.

Edited by Brad_ATX

• 1 month later...

So, do we qualify?   I'm not so sure we don't screw this up.   We are heavily crippled at the moment and play 2 of 3 away.  I know we beat Mexico 3 times in a row but haven't in qualifying at Azteca. I do think we need Pulisic to be the world caliber player he is.  

52 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

So, do we qualify?   I'm not so sure we don't screw this up.   We are heavily crippled at the moment and play 2 of 3 away.  I know we beat Mexico 3 times in a row but haven't in qualifying at Azteca. I do think we need Pulisic to be the world caliber player he is.  

We'll be lucky to take a point tomorrow night. 

I'm certainly not assuming qualification. I *think* we will, but I'm in no way assuming it. Triple G has not inspired confidence even with a full roster available. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We'll be lucky to take a point tomorrow night. 

I'm certainly not assuming qualification. I *think* we will, but I'm in no way assuming it. Triple G has not inspired confidence even with a full roster available. 

I'm not expecting a point tomorrow, and don't want to have to count on winning at Costa Rica in game 3. 

Panama tends to give us fits in qualifying as well, and that's the home game. 

Panama is 4 points back.  They play home against Honduras, play us, and host Canada.  I would assume they beat Honduras and we lose tomorrow.  That brings the gap to 1. If they beat tie us game 2 then we are talking 1 point difference with them at home and us on the road in a very possible loss at Costa Rica.  If they somehow get a win against the Canadians (which likely clinched 1st already)  then we will be in one game playoff unless Costa Rica squeezed out 2 wins including against us.

I think that's right 😆

Here is the simple version. 

• Like 1

I freaking hate this is on paramount.  That's a service I don't have.  Can only pay for so many lol.