Good analysis

bigbird

4 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

He's also left behind quite the cautionary tale. Honestly, I don't think Gus Malzahn is a terrible coach. In fact, I think he was once a very good one. He's produced too many good offenses (2006 Arkansas, 2010, 2013, and 2014 Auburn) to be genuinely awful. The guy legitimately was on the cutting edge of the sport when he first showed up. I saw a quote (I don't remember where) by some SEC defensive coach that essentially said "the worst thing that can happen to a good offensive coach is to be called a genius". I think that's where Gus ultimately went wrong. He's not a terrible coach. He's a good one who got high on his own supply, got complacent, and stopped innovating. That's a serious problem at any program but it's a recipe for disaster when you're in arguably the most difficult job in college football. 

I think he is an above average coach , who found a way to win that was ahead of the game. Once people caught up with him he couldn’t adapt . I always call him the T-pain of coaching .

T- Pain made major hits being the first to truly use auto tune. However, when everyone found out how to do it, he became another artist.

another thing is EGO and all three of our previous coaches had it , leading to their ultimate down falls. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think he is an above average coach , who found a way to win that was ahead of the game. Once people caught up with him he couldn’t adapt . I always call him the T-pain of coaching .

T- Pain made major hits being the first to truly use auto tune. However, when everyone found out how to do it, he became another artist.

another thing is EGO and all three of our previous coaches had it , leading to their ultimate down falls. 

Saban has an EGO that dwarfs everyone else in the conference, but he has never fallen into complacency. The constant drive to be the best wouldn't allow that to happen. 

9 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Saban has an EGO that dwarfs everyone else in the conference, but he has never fallen into complacency. The constant drive to be the best wouldn't allow that to happen. 

See I was happy someone said this. Saban has confidence. If he had an EGO, HE WOULD'VE NEVER ADAPTED FROM HIS PREFERRED OFFENSIVE STRATEGIES. If he had an EGO, he would never let someone like Lane Kiffin, who has a huge personality, come in and completely switch up things from Bama. If he had an EGO, he wouldn't sit and allow the great late KOBE BRYANT come in and teach his players about success, while him himself is in the FRONT ROW taking notes. An EGO wouldn't allow such actions. 

BTW: I am speaking of egotistical when I say this. I think we all have egos in some form or fashion.

Also, I think you guys need to read some books from Saban. The blue print that he learned, initially was started with the help of Psychiatrist Dr. Lonny Rosen. It was not solely built from the endzone. 

Saban has a monstrous ego, but he couples his desire to win it all every year with the savvy to do whatever it takes to get there. His willingness to change his philosophy on both sides of the ball to get that done over the years is what has taken him into the stratosphere of being the GOAT.  No one has done that better in any sport IMO. 

17 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I got a very different message from that video than you. I got that it was almost solely offensive line play that led to poor QB play, and thus Nix has not been properly evaluated as a QB yet. 

I basically agree but the question I have is why was there bad O-Line play. Was it scheme, lack of preparation, lack of teaching players the correct reads. The reason I ask is most of the players that came through in the film were not players getting beat who were trying to block them but players not trying to block them and going after somebody else even when it seemed obvious who they should be blocking. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

His willingness to change his philosophy on both sides of the ball to get that done over the years is what has taken him into the stratosphere of being the GOAT. 

So if he had this monstrous EGO like you said, he wouldn't do something like this. The ability to be adaptable is what people with big EGOs typically don't do because they think they are the smartest person in the room. They very much have narcissistic traits. Nick Saban is a disciple of wisdom which leads to being the best.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Yes, the OT blocking the hand-down DE with an empty backfield will be an improvement.

That was so odd, I mean what on Earth was going on? Did the OL think the RB or H-Back was in the backfield to pick up the DE? Did they think it was an RPO where the DE was the read defender? It just strikes me as a horrible lack of communication. The OL was not on the same page as the rest of the offense.

At first, I wanted Bicknell retained because I thought he was a good OL coach, and we needed continuity with the OL. But now, I am glad Harsin cleaned house.

Also, the idea of the QB leaving the pocket early was a problem with Stidham in 2018 also. That suggests it the QBs were in large part coached to use their mobility to extend the play. But not every QB is Nick Marshall.

Even a modest improvement in OL pass protection, and a modest improvement in QB decision making will go a long way.

nothing wrong with leaving early to extend the play, but when QB form breaks down as it usually did, it turns ugly quick

Just now, DAG said:

So if he had this monstrous EGO like you said, he wouldn't do something like this. The ability to be adaptable is what people with big EGOs typically don't do because they think they are the smartest person in the room. They very much have narcissistic traits. Nick Saban is a disciple of wisdom which leads to being the best.

No, he does have a huge EGO. He is also smart enough to realize that he cannot be everywhere and do everything. He cannot be the OC, DC and all of the position coaches. He knows the direction he wants to go and puts the appropriate pieces together to make it happen. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

he does have a huge EGO.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

He is also smart enough to realize that he cannot be everywhere and do everything. He cannot be the OC, DC and all of the position coaches.

giphy.gif

So you are saying NS has a monstrous ego that trumps every one his counterparts, including the previous Auburn HC, but he does this? Makes total sense.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

So you are saying NS has a monstrous ego that trumps every one his counterparts, including the previous Auburn HC, but he does this? Makes total sense.

Yes. He also happens to have many other assets that were mentioned that make him the GOAT...including drive, intelligence, leadership, talent recognition and acquisition, unrelenting preparation, etc...that our previous HC did not possess. But you know, Gus was a good guy and all. 

I feel like you can have an ego and still be open to change and learning from others.  Saban does that & walks around with a big swinging dick

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I feel like you can have an ego and still be open to change and learning from others.

You can but that is not what is being said.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

You can but that is not what is being said.

Right, Gus has an ego and is stubborn and thinks he knows best.  Saban has an ego, a huge one, but is a strong enough leader to understand you can learn things from other or see that CFB has changed and needs to change his offensive philosophy & he does that to his advantage. 

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right, Gus has an ego and is stubborn and thinks he knows best.

The definition of egotistical

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Saban has an ego, a huge one, but is a strong enough leader to understand you can learn things from other or see that CFB has changed and needs to change his offensive philosophy & he does that to his advantage. 

Two totally different things. So to say that NS has a bigger ego than Gus Malzahn, but then argue that he also understands the value of his fellow coaches makes no sense.

It is like arguing someone who has "lots of anxiety" but copes with it by exercising is the same as someone with generalized anxiety disorder. It is not the same thing.

I highly doubt NS would ever think he is so important, he would lose games rather than get the help he needs.

I highly doubt NS would ever continuously make the same mistake over and over and over again, but stick with the same philosophy. 

I highly doubt NS would continuous bring in coordinators only to hinder their ability to coach. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

The definition of egotistical

Two totally different things. So to say that NS has a bigger ego than Gus Malzahn, but then argue that he also understands the value of his fellow coaches makes no sense.

It is like arguing someone who has "lots of anxiety" but copes with it by exercising is the same as someone with generalized anxiety disorder. It is not the same thing.

I highly doubt NS would ever think he is so important, he would lose games rather than get the help he needs.

I highly doubt NS would ever continuously make the same mistake over and over and over again, but stick with the same philosophy. 

I highly doubt NS would continuous bring in coordinators only to hinder their ability to coach. 

Yeah, I feel like you can have a large Ego and still be self aware, introspective and adjust to how the game is adjusting.  I really think Nick thinks very highly of himself, but understands he can leverage other people for his benefit.

Maybe that's not ego.  I feel like he thinks of as himself as the best HC in CFB.  That doesn't mean he doesn't use people (Lane/Sark) and benefit him.  Gus doesn't have the ability to be self aware & doesn't allow people to help him.

I agree with you on every description of Nick/Gus, I guess we kind of look at Ego a little bit differently 

And BTW this is also why I love this new coaching staff. None of them take themselves too serious.

I believe our DC stated that having this much information in room a room was exciting or something to that sense. 

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

feel like he thinks of as himself as the best HC in CFB. 

I 110 percent believe he does. But here is the rub. He still is willing to learn. That is the difference . To me that is why he is the best and it shows. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I 110 percent believe he does. But here is the rub. He still is willing to learn. That is the difference . To me that is why he is the best and it shows. 

Yeah & I agree with you.  I think you can have that ego, but still have a drive to learn more and evolve. He has both

This video made me more sympathetic for Bo Nix that I expected.  Not only did he constantly have free runners charging at him, but too often he didn't have check down pass options.  I don't see what other choice he has on some of these plays other than to have happy feet.  The funky throwing footwork is on him, though.  Without improvement there he shouldn't remain the starting QB.

The blocking schemes make me want to claw my eyes out, but I have no idea how to assess it.  Are the players totally unprepared and making mistakes, or is the Malzahn/Morris Frankenstein of an offense so poorly put together that schematic oversights are being discovered on national television?  Malzahn has a track record of this (Coxcat at the Clemson game, trying to block Myles Garrett with a RG, etc.)

The WR routes left me dumbfounded.  In a scenario where it is 3rd and 6 and you know you struggle to pass protect, why is every WR running 20 yards downfield before looking back?  How can a coach prepare for a season without some situational 3rd and medium passing plays ready?

I don't know how much of this is Chad Morris and how much is Gus Malzahn, but it's easy to see why the former is back to coaching high school, and why the latter might be joining him in a few years.

2 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

I don't know how much of this is Chad Morris and how much is Gus Malzahn, but it's easy to see why the former is back to coaching high school, and why the latter might be joining him in a few years.

All of this stuff predates Morris. 

3 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

This video made me more sympathetic for Bo Nix that I expected.  Not only did he constantly have free runners charging at him, but too often he didn't have check down pass options.  I don't see what other choice he has on some of these plays other than to have happy feet.  The funky throwing footwork is on him, though.  Without improvement there he shouldn't remain the starting QB.

The blocking schemes make me want to claw my eyes out, but I have no idea how to assess it.  Are the players totally unprepared and making mistakes, or is the Malzahn/Morris Frankenstein of an offense so poorly put together that schematic oversights are being discovered on national television?  Malzahn has a track record of this (Coxcat at the Clemson game, trying to block Myles Garrett with a RG, etc.)

The WR routes left me dumbfounded.  In a scenario where it is 3rd and 6 and you know you struggle to pass protect, why is every WR running 20 yards downfield before looking back?  How can a coach prepare for a season without some situational 3rd and medium passing plays ready?

It is odd as it seems Rhett Lashlee has found success , yet chad Morris who considers himself a disciple of Gus has had a hard last few years. 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah & I agree with you.  I think you can have that ego, but still have a drive to learn more and evolve. He has both

Correct. Ego isn't the all-encompassing trait of being an elite HC, or CEO of a successful corporation. The foresight to both adapt philosophy when necessary and build an effective team (including coaches and players) to achieve the goals you set out along with the tenacity to maintain the course through leadership and respect takes a lot more than your perception of yourself. If you have the first without the latter, you get Brett Bielema...and maybe a Gus Malzahn.

BTW, I also love this new staff and what I've seen/heard from them so far. Let's go!

10 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

I don't know how much of this is Chad Morris and how much is Gus Malzahn,

It's all 100% Gus.  Being able to run constant tempo covered up so many flaws in Gus's abilities as a coach.  Once that was taken away from him, he was toast.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. His scheme was and always been elementary. Effective for a short period but not for the long term, especially when teams figured it out. It was often masked by great OLINE/HB play, most specifically good offensive linemen and good HB like Smith and Prosch Without good offensive linemen, you just can see the ills of his offense more clearly. Scary to watch. 

Archived