The end of college football

AUght2win

I’m curious how much I’ll care about college sports in 5 years. I rarely watch pro sports anymore and haven’t watched a single Olympic event so far. Didn’t watch Wimbledon, which I used to enjoy. My attachment to Auburn sports is largely sentimental— tied to enjoyable memories. The more college football becomes like the pros, the less I enjoy it. Right now Auburn sports are the only reason I have a monthly bill that assures access to the array of ESPN channels, but truth be told I hate ESPN. I’ve thought of unsubscribing and going back to listening on the radio which I loved doing as a kid. Any folks here who primarily listen on the radio to games?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It says a lot that you think other people actually think this way. That you think the average person is consumed with envy, bitterness, obsession, etc. 

Lol what does it say about you? The only thing about football I've seen you not crying about was the QB.....go figure

• Like 1

This is just so stupid to me.....Why is Clemson one of the schools that will get all the guys???? Some of you are so stupid that you think every single year those schools will buy recruits......and I guess we're a community college...we don't have money. 

And really if that did happen what gym full of 5 star guys we've been getting? Worst case scenario is what? Where we are at right now? 

Like I said guys love to cry. Pout because kids quality of life got better.....pathetic

• Love 1

21 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

There are other ways........think about it...........:timeout:

We went from pajama parades to streaking when I was at Auburn. 

Now what do they do? Protest? Sit at home and watch sports on their 'big ass tv'. lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m curious how much I’ll care about college sports in 5 years. I rarely watch pro sports anymore and haven’t watched a single Olympic event so far. Didn’t watch Wimbledon, which I used to enjoy. My attachment to Auburn sports is largely sentimental— tied to enjoyable memories. The more college football becomes like the pros, the less I enjoy it. Right now Auburn sports are the only reason I have a monthly bill that assures access to the array of ESPN channels, but truth be told I hate ESPN. I’ve thought of unsubscribing and going back to listening on the radio which I loved doing as a kid. Any folks here who primarily listen on the radio to games?

Not sure of your age but you're probably not near mine. Trust me, the interest wanes in things like sports because you just realize that other things take priority some times. I still love Auburn sports and I think the state of our football program under Gus led to some of the lessened interest. I think if we start to see the true spirit of Auburn football come back then I'm hoping my excitement picks up. I've even recorded games to watch later and after knowing we lost to a South Carolina or comparable team, I just deleted it because I had no interest. I do know I don't watch as many sporting events as I used to through my life but I am holding out hope for Auburn to get back to pushing other teams around on field and making sure they know when it's over that the blood they are shedding and aches they are feeling came from us hitting them and not them hitting us. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 3

Winning cures everything, and if you're a good program with a good coach you will get players that can win. And that's it. Winning makes everything better. You can pretend that you won't watch now,......let us start winning, you'll be in line like everybody else

Edited by cole256
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not sure of your age but you're probably not near mine. Trust me, the interest wanes in things like sports because you just realize that other things take priority some times. I still love Auburn sports and I think the state of our football program under Gus led to some of the lessened interest. I think if we start to see the true spirit of Auburn football come back then I'm hoping my excitement picks up. I've even recorded games to watch later and after knowing we lost to a South Carolina or comparable team, I just deleted it because I had no interest. I do know I don't watch as many sporting events as I used to through my life but I am holding out hope for Auburn to get back to pushing other teams around on field and making sure they know when it's over that the blood they are shedding and aches they are feeling came from us hitting them and not them hitting us. 

There’s talk of dropping UGA as an annual rival. I was at Auburn when we had the Wreck Tech Pajama Parade that’s now gone. Still can’t get excited about South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas, especially when we play them instead of TN and UF. Traditions matter, especially in college sports. I still would prefer to finish with UGA & Bama— sure it’s tough, but how amazing was it to knock off 2 #1’s in 3 weeks a few years back?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s talk of dropping UGA as an annual rival. I was at Auburn when we had the Wreck Tech Pajama Parade that’s now gone. Still can’t get excited about South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas, especially when we play them instead of TN and UF. Traditions matter, especially in college sports. I still would prefer to finish with UGA & Bama— sure it’s tough, but how amazing was it to knock off 2 #1’s in 3 weeks a few years back?

I miss UT and UF annually. Amen Corner was special. If we beat UT early in the year you typically knew you had a good team. Then you went into the Florida game with high hopes and if you came out of that game on top it was going to end pretty well most of the time. The roller coaster we've been on since Tuberville used to manage to lose to Arkansas or similar team each year just continued on. At least the Pod scheduling gives me hope of the old rivalries every other year. Until we put a team on the field that can handle Georgia at least 50% of the time it won't matter when we play them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I miss UT and UF annually. Amen Corner was special. If we beat UT early in the year you typically knew you had a good team. Then you went into the Florida game with high hopes and if you came out of that game on top it was going to end pretty well most of the time. The roller coaster we've been on since Tuberville used to manage to lose to Arkansas or similar team each year just continued on. At least the Pod scheduling gives me hope of the old rivalries every other year. Until we put a team on the field that can handle Georgia at least 50% of the time it won't matter when we play them. 

We’ve had teams that could handle UGA most years, just not a coach who could.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Radio for sound and tv for video every game for 30 years 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WarTiger said:

ah, more conspiracy theories.  Those teams have gone as often as they have because they WIN GAMES.  Sure there are some occasions where a team goes and we all believe perhaps they shouldn't have gone over another team, but the bottom line is they are WINNING GAMES and often doing it convincingly.

The end of college football?  Absolutely NOT.   That's completely ludicrous.  It's still going to be football and its never going away.  It's changing, but its been changing incrementally since it started. Conference realignment has been going on for decades.  It didn't signify the end of college football then and it won't now and its foolish to think otherwise.

Did you even remotely follow what happened with Ohio State this year? 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:48 AM, auburnphan said:

When Black athletes were allowed to play, it was going to ruin the game.

Title IX was going to ruin the game

When the Big ten expanded it was going to ruin the game

When the Big East disbanded football it was going to ruin the game.

College Playoffs were gonna ruin the game.

The game makes more money every year despite only doing things that are gonna ruin the game.

In reference to the fans in the stands and sports.  There are some much bigger reasons than the changes that may have been made.  Everyone can afford a large tv now and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.  People have parties at the home because they over price everything.  Adding the fan bases of Oklahoma and Texas is gonna benefit Auburn way more than it will Texas and Oklahoma.  With viewership up, add revenue is up, conference contracts will continue to go up, universities will continue to reap the benefits and now the student athletes can get some free pizza from the local place whenever they want for putting that pizza place on their social media posts. Can get paid for working camps and such.  Good for them.

everything is fine, if a few of ya leave big deal, the next generation is gonna be filling your spots at a higher rate any way.  

This argument always blows my mind - that all changes are progress and all change is equivalent. Comparing integration to Texas and Oklahoma joining???

This is largely subjective. Time will tell with objective measures like ratings and money. But American sports have seen a ton of changes that have made them worse, even by those metrics.

NBA ratings have cratered. Everyone was locked in their homes this spring, yet it was the lowest rated Super Bowl ever. This year's national title game was the lowest rated since 1999. Think about that!

You're gonna tell me Roger Goddell's changes have all been positive? That sports becoming political has been inarguably good? Automatic ejections for targeting? How about the new runner-on-second extra inning rule or quarterbacks being untouchable in football? 

All change isn't good change. I'd go out on a limb and say this applies to all our physiques since high school. Certainly have changed. Not for the better. 

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Uh, how is that a bad thing? How is college teams, especially lesser talented teams, retaining more talent a bad thing for the parity? The super teams are going to keep on putting out guys because they are gonna be the ones making severely more than NIL money. Programs like US are gonna be the ones that win from that. The ones that don’t just reload with NFL players.

I don’t even understand what the other point is supposed to be saying. What was going to change those exact same teams from routinely making the playoffs under the prior system. Bad luck??? 

And what stops UAT and tOSU, Texas, Miami etc from just buying up 20 something 5-star walk-ons because of that "brand power"?

Programs like us will not benefit from this. Auburn has never had the championship or bust mentality like that of the toothless masses in West Vance or Athens, GA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

And what stops UAT and tOSU, Texas, Miami etc from just buying up 20 something 5-star walk-ons because of that "brand power"?

Programs like us will not benefit from this. Auburn has never had the championship or bust mentality like that of the toothless masses in West Vance or Athens, GA.

You're smoking crack if you think even one five star would be a walk on while eligible

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Are they aligned time wise?

I have a dvr and have to sinc them together. 

giphy.webp

On 7/30/2021 at 4:18 PM, AUght2win said:

This next realignment will kill off even more. 

17 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The only reason those same 4 make it every year is because there's a selection committee incentivized to make sure teams that draw the largest ratings go to the playoff. It turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. Ohio State and Notre Dame (and Bama, despite losses) go every year. Then elite talent PICKS them because they go every year. And the cycle repeats.

This was going to change once the playoff expanded but idk what it's going to look like now. 

Was going to change into what? You guys have to present some actual alternative path that’s supposed to be this doomsday path instead of automatically asserting that the unknown is some disaster case 

Its gonna be at least 7 teams that stink and 5 teams that are good. It’s not like super conferences make those patsies any worse or the elite teams any better 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

20 something 5 star walk ons. Rivals had 30 5 stars period in the 2021 recruiting class. Even if that world existed, there would STILL be more contenders that could compete off financials and brand appeal than currently constructed 😂. UT, TAMU, USC, Miami, Oregon, Michigan, possibly Nebraska, they’d all rocket up substantially in the gap between them and the actual tier 1 programs. those are programs that balanced brand appeal with actually being good at the sport. There’ll never be a world where innate program tradition and power beats out being good at leveraging your status, even if it’s lesser than those in the other bucket 

Auburn had the highest paid coordinators on both side of the ball in the recent past but they’re so ho-hum “woe is me”. Had 3 different offensive coordinators fall on the sword in about 5 years but they really don’t seek to compete much in football yall!! One day, you older auburn fans are going to realize we’re a lot closer to THOSE programs than these feel good overachievers that we were 40 years ago. We’re top 10 in revenue for Christ’s sakes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I love listening to games on radio. My wife asked my how I would rather listen to the Braves on radio rather than watch TV. I grew up with that and keeping a scorecard!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Was going to change into what? You guys have to present some actual alternative path that’s supposed to be this doomsday path instead of automatically asserting that the unknown is some disaster case 

Its gonna be at least 7 teams that stink and 5 teams that are good. It’s not like super conferences make those patsies any worse or the elite teams any better 

Don’t really think the last 7 “stink”. That seems to be way too low of an appraisal of teams within the top 12 each year.

19 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The only reason those same 4 make it every year is because there's a selection committee incentivized to make sure teams that draw the largest ratings go to the playoff. It turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. Ohio State and Notre Dame (and Bama, despite losses) go every year. Then elite talent PICKS them because they go every year. And the cycle repeats.

This was going to change once the playoff expanded but idk what it's going to look like now. 

Notre Dame has only been in 2 of 7 playoffs. Bama and Clemson are in most years because they have been the best teams. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

20 something 5 star walk ons. Rivals had 30 5 stars period in the 2021 recruiting class. Even if that world existed, there would STILL be more contenders that could compete off financials and brand appeal than currently constructed 😂. UT, TAMU, USC, Miami, Oregon, Michigan, possibly Nebraska, they’d all rocket up substantially in the gap between them and the actual tier 1 programs. those are programs that balanced brand appeal with actually being good at the sport. There’ll never be a world where innate program tradition and power beats out being good at leveraging your status, even if it’s lesser than those in the other bucket 

Auburn had the highest paid coordinators on both side of the ball in the recent past but they’re so ho-hum “woe is me”. Had 3 different offensive coordinators fall on the sword in about 5 years but they really don’t seek to compete much in football yall!! One day, you older auburn fans are going to realize we’re a lot closer to THOSE programs than these feel good overachievers that we were 40 years ago. We’re top 10 in revenue for Christ’s sakes

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good meltdown. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m curious how much I’ll care about college sports in 5 years. I rarely watch pro sports anymore and haven’t watched a single Olympic event so far. Didn’t watch Wimbledon, which I used to enjoy. My attachment to Auburn sports is largely sentimental— tied to enjoyable memories.

I’m completely with you on this. For me, I would add super late games, too many commercials, excessive replays, and too long of a time commitment. Specific to college football, it wasn’t that long ago that 10 or 15 teams went into the season with at least a small chance for a Natty. Now it’s compressed to 3 or 4 teams. Players sitting out bowl games was another blow. I still tune in to watch our Tigers but the magic is not the same. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1