Time for vaccine requirements, tests for football games

aubiefifty

16 minutes ago, woodford said:

Gonna breathalyze everyone that enters too?

Could be a fun contest. The person with the highest score gets to try to kick a 50 yard FG for a new car. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You're like 90% more safe than any of the unvaccinated people, but when you're around 40k people who are unvaccinated and possibly many spreading a disease that is highly contagious, there can still be break through cases.

While the vast majority of break through cases have mild cases compared to the unvaccinated, but why risk it?  Why get covid and then give it to my 1 year old son who can't get vaccinated?

There are 75 million people in America under the age of 18. 350 have been killed by Covid-19 since the start of 2020. The risk to kids is as close to zero as you can get if your kid doesn't have cancer or awaiting an organ transplant. Kids have a better chance of dying in car accidents or from drowning than they do from Covid. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

You want politicians making decisions for you? Cringe. 

Your second point I’ve heard countless times lol because those diseases are JUST like Covid huh? Kids not being able to walk is exactly like COVID-19. Totally. Goodness gracious. 

My statement about politicians was totally sarcasm! Sorry you didn’t pick up on that.

12 minutes ago, woodford said:

You want politicians making decisions for you? Cringe. 

Your second point I’ve heard countless times lol because those diseases are JUST like Covid huh? Kids not being able to walk is exactly like COVID-19. Totally. Goodness gracious. 

• Like 1

My guess is it will most likely be an app showing you have been vaccinated or not like a few states are doing.  Season tickets have already gone out so fans will be in the stadium.  Last year they called it before tickets went out.  Either way, I am excited to be back in the stadium.

This does belong in the politics section however.

3 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Dumb article. We had massed shoulder to shoulder protesting for six months last year when there was no vaccine and very little natural immunity in the population and we were all assured that it didn't spread covid. Why are we gatekeeping football games 14 months later when two thirds of the population has either had the virus, been vaccinated, or both? 

Sounds as if football will be added to the list of events that cause the spread of COVID along with church, school, and motorcycle rallies.

Just be sure to only attend "mostly peaceful" protests and BLM riots in order to protect ourself!

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

4 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

There are 75 million people in America under the age of 18. 350 have been killed by Covid-19 since the start of 2020. The risk to kids is as close to zero as you can get if your kid doesn't have cancer or awaiting an organ transplant. Kids have a better chance of dying in car accidents or from drowning than they do from Covid. 

Death is not the only negative outcome.    Children are having a had time with Delta and Delta +  Look at the children being hospitalized with server cases in AR Tx  Ok  TN, Ga.  LA  MS.   

ALABAMA  20%  of the children in Alabama end up in the hospital with serious cases of Covid.  34%  of those end up in ICU.   https://old.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusAlabama/comments/i7tx1i/adph_20_of_children_hospitalized_with_covid19_in/

Florida https://bocanewsnow.com/2021/08/09/florida-another-85-children-admitted-for-covid-19-sunday/

Arkansas   

Arkansas Children's Hospital Chief Clinical and Academic Officer Dr. Rick Barr spoke with KUAR's Michael Hibblen about the situation at the facility on Thursday.  

BARR: I have to emphasize, this is very different than what we saw earlier in the COVID pandemic with the other variants. The delta variant is acting very, very differently with respect to kids. Previously, when children were admitted and tested positive for COVID, it was often what I call an incidental finding. They were coming in the hospital for some unrelated reason, maybe a surgery or some other medical condition, and they just happened to test positive and were asymptomatic; didn't have any symptoms from their COVID viral infection.

We started seeing in June and definitely in July, kids coming in the hospital that were sick with COVID. So respiratory infections, pneumonia, requiring oxygen, requiring assistance to breathe, so that's definitely a change. And just in the month of July we've committed over 40 children to the children's hospital with COVID infections and a number of those have ended up in the intensive care unit.

.https://www.ualrpublicradio.org/post/arkansas-children-are-becoming-sick-never-during-covid-pandemic

Texas https://www.nbcnews.com./news/us-news/north-texas-runs-out-pediatric-icu-beds-amid-covid-surge-n1276783

https://texasnewstoday.com/the-covid-19-delta-variant-puts-young-children-in-the-icu-hospital-officials-say/398897/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/texas-children-hospitalizations-covid-highest-rate-16382741.php

FLORIDA:  https://bocanewsnow.com/2021/08/12/florida-another-93-children-hospitalized-for-covid-on-wednesday/

Louisiana https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/567480-child-hospital-beds-fill-up-as-delta-virus-cases-spread

Oklahoma https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-childrens-hospital-covid-admissions-increasing-rapidly-some-kids-ventilators#stream/0

Georgia https://www.live5news.com/2021/08/10/covid-floods-hospitals-aiken-regional-banning-most-visitors/

Just about every state.  And god forbid your children need hospital care for another issue.  ICU beds are getting scarce

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

All politics and personal opinions aside. Let’s look at the straight facts and numbers because the statistics don’t lie and the numbers really don’t care about your opinion.  Including the elderly, including those that are/were already in hospice care, including those with pre-existing conditions, including those with weakened immune system, 98+ percent of people that get the virus survive. Again, that is a statistical fact! Young, healthy people with no pre-existing conditions have a survival rate above 99+%. Again, a mathematical fact!

Since this has been moved to the political thread… Barack Obama, who receives much higher intelligence briefings than any of us combined on this board, has a birthday party with hundreds of people, all unmasked, not 6 feet away from each other, to include close dancing.  Why is it Obama felt perfectly safe having a party of this fashion? Regardless of your politics, we have a record, I mean a record number of border crossings… regardless of how you feel about these illegal border crossings, most of these people are not vaccinated and many of them are carrying Covid. So why, oh why isn’t our government stopping the border crossings? Remember, Covid is going to kill so many of us, but we’re just letting all these people with Covid across? How many Democrat legislators left Texas to DC unmasked and not separated by 6 feet on an aircraft. Why would they do this? I mean if it’s so unsafe and everyone’s going to die, why would these Texas legislators do such a thing? How many of them died? How many attending Obama’s birthday bash died? How many border patrol agents handling these crossings have been killed by Covid?

Just my two cents that I fully realize many of you will disagree with, but here it goes: get your vaccination, wear your double and triple mask or your double mask plus a face shield, then feel safe about it and stop living in fear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

...but when you're around 40k people who are unvaccinated and possibly many spreading a disease that is highly contagious, there can still be break through cases.

The vaccine won't stop any of that. Vaccinated people spread it just as easily, they just don't react the same once they have the virus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C'viewTiger said:

I have a friend here in NW FL who’s a nurse. She is saying that 80% of the those currently hospitalized are fully vaccinated.  

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I just spent a month in the hospital with my son. The nurses said the majority of the kids coming in and taking beds were from RSV because their immune systems had not had the chance to be exposed to the normal antigens and become developed better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

you have to provide proof of vaccines against other diseases (measles etc.)when you apply to a  school  covid vacs are no different.  It is a schools right to refuse non vaccinated students.  This is not even debatable .  Schools need to take a stand.   

As far as games,  the Olympics  Caused Tokyo to have an explosion of cases.

You need to go back to being the quiet man. The stuff you say at times, is borderline looney.

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

You need to go back to being the quiet man. The stuff you say at times, is borderline looney.

Except what he said about schools requiring certain immunizations is fact.  I had to provide proof of certain vaccines and a negative TB test before I could ever attend a class at Auburn.

13 hours ago, nurbis said:

Covid vacs are very different from other vaccines. They have had very little testing, they are emergency use approved only and there are legitimate dangerous side effects like blood clots and myocarditis. How many vaccines have been manufactured where the government stepped in to release the manufacturer from all liability? Does a completely safe vaccine need that kind of government protection? There are also many deaths reported on VAERS that are not guaranteed to be vaccine related but could be vaccine related. 

Plus, you brought up the explosion of cases from the Olympics. Everybody there was required to be vaccinated and Japan allowed no foreign attendance. That doesn't exactly speak wonders for the efficacy of these vaccines. 

This is not true.  In fact, Covid vaccines all went thru trials and have now been shown to be safe by the hundreds of millions of people that have taken them worldwide.  Side effects from a vaccine almost always manifest themselves within 30 days.  In fact, most within 72 hours.

You mention blood clots and myocarditis.  Have you compared the risk of those to the risk of prolonged injury and illness due to having Covid?  If you do, you will see that the risk is much greater of having a long term health issue as a result from Covid than either one of those conditions.  Also, those conditions are usually reversible, even in the extremely rare event that they occur.

In todays world, one should just simply identify as vaccinated and that should be enough. To question them would be closed minded and possibly bigoted. Especially if you ask them to show proof. 

8 hours ago, TigerTale said:

Sounds as if football will be added to the list of events that cause the spread of COVID along with church, school, and motorcycle rallies.

Just be sure to only attend "mostly peaceful" protests and BLM riots in order to protect ourself!

Great to throw in useless talking points about BLM riots.  Seriously, that is why it is impossible to have a real discussion......... Many of you would rather just spout out whatever some nut on Fox was screaming about.

• Like 1

A family friend, lady in her late 60s, sent a text to my mom today informing her that she had tested positive for Covid.  She went to a wedding last Saturday and close to 30 people so far have tested positive that attended.  She is fully vaccinated and so far only has what she describes as a head cold and sore throat. Her doctor sent her home with instructions for the usual Zinc, Vit D etc and a prescription.  Vaccinated people are susceptible to getting Covid, but make no mistake, being vaccinated prevents the vast majority of people from experiencing serious illness. A friend of mine is a doctor at Piedmont.  He told me that the difference in how a vaccinated person responds and how an unvaccinated person responds is night and day. They do have around 25% of their patients that are vaccinated patients, but the majority of those have some kind of immune suppression that likely prevented their immune system from generating adequate antibodies.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

The vaccine won't stop any of that. Vaccinated people spread it just as easily, they just don't react the same once they have the virus.

Yes, a person with covid, Vax vs unvax, can spread adlt the same rate, but They have to be infected and have a break through case. That's the difference. Take 40k ppl with 90%+ greater resistance to Covid, they'll be less likely to be spreaders vs the 40k without a vaccine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

They have to be infected and have a break through case. That's the difference. 

I'm not trying to get into a back and forth, but this is inaccurate. The difference lies in the viral load. Those that are vaccinated will reach a transferable level more slowly, but also may be asymptomatic and not know they are an incubator. The main thing that the vaccine does is provide a reduction of deaths and hospitalization for the more susceptible 

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Great to throw in useless talking points about BLM riots.  Seriously, that is why it is impossible to have a real discussion......... Many of you would rather just spout out whatever some nut on Fox was screaming about.

Over 1,000 health professionals sign a letter saying, Don't shut down protests using coronavirus concerns as an excuse | CNN

If it's OK to riot last summer prior to the vaccine, it's OK for fans to attend football games this Fall post vaccine.

• Like 3

The vast majority of the time, the correct answer is "follow the green", no matter what the issue is.

Are ticket takers going to be checking closely to verify that someone's vaccination card is authentic? Checking an ID to make sure the names match? Doubtful. Especially if people only have a picture of it, which is what I imagine the vast majority of people will do. I wouldn't carry the actual card around.

Same sort of thing goes for a test result.

That's on top of any scanning that may happen before going to a game.

If something like this were implemented, I figure there will be lots of fake ID equivalents, and the thing is at a game with 80,000+ people milling around, good luck trying to pinpoint exactly who might have passed along the Covid to you.

Facilities might put it in place with the understanding that it'll work about as well as a screen door preventing water from coming in the house, but it'll be good PR and provide cover (which is right up there with "follow the green" as a largely correct answer at any time).

This is all moot for me, as the expense of going to a college football game (tickets, travel expense, food, etc.) versus watching at home on a nice TV has made the decision for me...but, if I were going to a game, the demand wouldn't stop me.

I've been to several Astros games this summer (roof closed, no mandates of any sort) and there hasn't been any hue and cry about the games being superspreader events or anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

I've been to several Astros games this summer (roof closed, no mandates of any sort) and there hasn't been any hue and cry about the games being superspreader events or anything.

Me too!  Wish I would've known, would've been fun to attend one together.

17 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Over 1,000 health professionals sign a letter saying, Don't shut down protests using coronavirus concerns as an excuse | CNN

If it's OK to riot last summer prior to the vaccine, it's OK for fans to attend football games this Fall post vaccine.

Yeah, this was one of those "You serious, Clark?" moments for me...I mean, viruses are damned good at adapting to their environment, but they aren't quite sentient.