Time for vaccine requirements, tests for football games

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That said, some people want them to be perfect and they are not.  They simply help.  Some help more than others

That is the point that I did a very poor job of trying to make. I do not believe it is accurate to say unconditionally that you are safe if you are wearing a mask.

At this point I am hoping to grow numb to it all. Not just the stupidity and selfishness but also the implicit encouragement it receives. Not sure which is worse, really.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's not a "belief", though. It's a statistically demonstrable truth. 

It is though. It's not mine or yours, but there are a multitude that believe it.  It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different.  

As far as mask go, they are instrumental in protecting the person wearing it. That's why it's a standard precaution. I did a clinical rotation last winter and had multiple covid positive pts hacking on me in the ER, I wore my PPE and was never too concerned and never contracted it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I do not believe it is accurate to say unconditionally that you are safe if you are wearing a mask.

There are very few unconditional statements that hold true. Is it 100%? No.  Is it close enough? For us, it is.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

It is though. It's not mine or yours, but there are a multitude that believe it.  It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different.  

As far as mask go, they are instrumental in protecting the person wearing it. That's why it's a standard precaution. I did a clinical rotation last winter and had multiple covid positive pts hacking on me in the ER, I wore my PPE and was never too concerned and never contracted it.

We're not talking about religion.

Thinking the world is flat is a belief  and it is definitely wrong. Knowing otherwise is, well, knowledge and it is right.

No wonder so much of our country holds such dangerous and stupid beliefs when they get coddled like this.

Genuinely glad that your anecdotal evidence gives you the confidence you need. And yes I know that wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask for personal protection. I thought I made it pretty clear that I understood that. Complete protection is a much different conversation and I thought the one that we were having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

If you believe something that is objectively, scientifically wrong, then your belief is wrong. It doesn't matter how strongly you believe it, or how many youtube videos you see about it, or how many other friends or family believe it with you.

For most people who are against the vaccine, their objections aren't even truly 'valid' because they refuse to research or try to understand any of it. 

I still have people I went to school with who are posting 'anti-vaccine' messages on social media saying that "I know someone who got vaccinated and still got COVID, so that just proves to me the vaccine doesn't work." 

It doesn't matter who or how you explain to them that the vaccine HAS been shown to work and that it helps but doesnt 100% prevent and help the symptoms of the virus, they just wont accept it

"If it's not 100% effective at prevention then that means it's not really a vaccine, and this is all about government control and I'm not taking it" 

That's a deeply held belief that they have....but it's wrong and it's stupid...and we need to stop pretending that it's not. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

(Also..no...masks alone aren't enough to stop the virus or prevent you from getting it. 

That's why we needed the vaccine so desperately in the first place...because Masks offer more protection than wearing nothing, but they aren't enough to stop it. )

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

It is clear after reading these posts and others like them that some people like being free and others will die to be free. 

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

...and others will die to be free. 

Wouldn't have a problem with that if they weren't taking others with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Wouldn't have a problem with that if they weren't taking others with them.

This. 

Just really wild that people buy into this freedom crap as though personal liberties are now absolute. Drive drunk! Leave your loaded revolver on the bar while you go take a whiz! Yell fire in a crowded theater! Maybe keep a little ziploc baggie of anthrax in your pocket! It's your world, baby! You have absolutely no obligation whatsoever to the society you live in! Freedom!

Narcissism is a virtue now, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

This. 

Just really wild that people buy into this freedom crap as though personal liberties are now absolute. Drive drunk! Leave your loaded revolver on the bar while you go take a whiz! Yell fire in a crowded theater! Maybe keep a little ziploc baggie of anthrax in your pocket! It's your world, baby! You have absolutely no obligation whatsoever to the society you live in! Freedom!

Narcissism is a virtue now, I guess. 

And all those things listed above have been there for two plus centuries.......