Harsin Zoom Presser 8/25

Maverick.AU

3 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Have you met 18-22 year olds and how fickle they can be? Guy can put whatever he wants on twitter and make himself look like a saint. Until the guy who’s job is on the line learns to trust him it doesnt matter. Coach had every right to question why he opted out. Wooten had every right to opt out. He did it for a good reason and he came back. Questioning someones motives or committment or whatever doesnt mean you think the person isnt worthy. Grow up

Ah, yes, let us just automatically assume that everyone lies on twitter despite the person putting out a heartfelt message. Also, the fact that Wooten came back should have erased any doubt in Harsin's mind about his "commitment" to the team. I don't want to keep going back and forth I just think it's another thing that Harsin has said/done that is very dumb.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He didn't go out publicly and question Wooten.  Like most people when you come into a new situation and you have limited data you draw conclusions from the data you have, there is nothing wrong with drawing a wrong personal opinion with limited data. It would be a problem only if upon talking to Wooten and getting to know the reasons and the man that he was to stubborn to change his mind. Everybody on this board has at one time or another come up with an opinion with limited data and then changed that opinion once you got more data. If anybody says their 1st opinion is always right that is the person I would not want to be my coach.

Think most agree they are glad he changed his mind...just opting out shouldn't draw that view point. This is what everyone is discussing 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

vegetable-salad-spilling-out-tableware-p

david-netto-connecticut-stairwell-159191

Required reading for the UA football team. 

Screenshot_20210825-161546~2.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, toddc said:

If you don’t understand how three days of relentless vilification of a good man, and coach of Auburn football, without a shred of verifiable evidence is ridiculous then I don’t know what to say to you.

:dunno:

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Excited by the quote about Tony Fair. If he's bought in and working hard, look out. 

Me too!  Especially since I picked him in the Man Crush thread :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I’m feeling better about a bunch of things.  

Agree. Those comments were strong and clear to me. 

All of these HC across football are in a tough position. I get that many don't want to say the wrong thing. It's good to hear a stronger stance from our leader that he'd love most of his team to be vaccinated. As I mentioned in another thread, it just gives the team as a whole an advantage of not having interruptions if we can meet the threshold required. I don't know what that writer issue is but people should just ignore him b/c he's doing a great job of getting his name out. Bad press is still press. 

I know that AU isn't going to win a championship this year BUT i do think that if we can show a revamped offense and that we're a more prepared, disciplined and tougher team that equates to at least 8 wins...it will be huge for recruiting for us. That's how I'm approaching this season. It's more so showing big recruits that even with a HC that doesn't know the landscape of the SEC yet that if he gets more 4 & 5 star talent that we can big on the big stage like Ohio State and Bama regularly and players get to do it at great school. 

This season, I just hope we can field an offense that gets better each week. With several questions already about QB and OL play...we can't afford to have guys in and out each week. I know that's just something we may have to deal with...b/c of Covid but if we can prevent it, let's do so. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Think most agree they are glad he changed his mind...just opting out shouldn't draw that view point. This is what everyone is discussing 

Come on W.E.D ,  you have never coached a kid you didn't like at first for whatever reason?   Have any of those kids changed your first impressions as you got to know them?

I think Harsin coming out and saying that is admirable.   Harsin is admitting a mistake.    He is not  so stubborn  that he can not take responsibility and the consequence's.  He is humble enough to  admit he was wrong as new information became available.    That is something our last coach would never do.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Jay Tate mentioned Trox as being someone who’s missed extended time on the Oline this fall.  Hopefully now that school is back and we’ve had that initial wave things will settle down.  Never heard of Jackson McFadden.  Maybe he’s caught on to the new passing system and is excelling.  Really not a lot to say about the offense till they get to play someone different than their own team.  I’m ready to see this team actually play in 11 days.

I don’t want to bring contentious discussion in here if people don’t want it, but the intial wave (first returning to Auburn) was about 7x better than the amount of cases this week. From about 60 to 421 off the top of my head 

they’re not getting better and they should be around this level going into next week too, but! It was 600 cases the first week last year and by the grace of… IDK, they got it down bigly quickly. Not saying that’s guaranteed to happen here but it’s possible 

These players need to be in a bubble basically. I got it on a 20 second elevator ride last Saturday at an apt complex downtown. It can reportedly be transferred in about 5-15 seconds. Many are knowingly getting it at the bars and coming back to campus. BUBBLE

BUBBLE!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

How hard is it to just come out and say "As head coach I set the example. I am vaccinated and I encourage every player on our team who is not yet vaccinated to get vaccinated as soon as possible"? Is that asking too much? How about this then: "I am vaccinated."

Because I think it's clear that he's not. Based on comments and when he's expected to return. Just my point of view from his responses and lack there of responses. 

I'm just glad that he's doing well. And who knows, even though he looks well...he sounds a little congested (maybe that's just me) so he may change his stance. His comments today rang out louder than those before. That could be a result of him going through Covid. At this point we don't know. Again, hope he gets better soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toddc said:

If you don’t understand how three days of relentless vilification of a good man, and coach of Auburn football, without a shred of verifiable evidence is ridiculous then I don’t know what to say to you.

All that was asked for was for him to lead on this subject.  That isn't vilification.  He isn't just another university employee and his contract alone is proof positive of that.  When you get the perks and you have the platform, people will expect more. They have every right to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 4

Totally refreshing to have a coach who says meaningful things. He actually gave specific on depth charts, distinguished starters versus backups, and shared details about player development. WDE!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Come on W.E.D ,  you have never coached a kid you didn't like at first for whatever reason?   Have any of those kids changed your first impressions as you got to know them?

I think Harsin coming out and saying that is admirable.   Harsin is admitting a mistake.    He is not  so stubborn  that he can not take responsibility and the consequence's.  He is humble enough to  admit he was wrong as new information became available.    That is something our last coach would never do.

I agree. I acknowledged I'm glad he changed his mind. But it's just a bad preconception from the jump.

No. I took a girl on my project this week and she had a bad wrap. She's been great and very proactive. So no. I don't judge a book by its cover

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I agree. I acknowledged I'm glad he changed his mind. But it's just a bad preconception from the jump.

No. I took a girl on my project this week and she had a bad wrap. She's been great and very proactive. So no. I don't judge a book by its cover

Really? Because this past summer you judged the heck out of one of our first commits 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Totally refreshing to have a coach who says meaningful things. He actually gave specific on depth charts, distinguished starters versus backups, and shared details about player development. WDE!

Anything in addition to it was a good practice is music to my ears. Agree or disagree, I have a ton of respect for people who just shoot it to me straight. 

• Like 3

Nough said 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

How hard is it to just come out and say "As head coach I set the example. I am vaccinated and I encourage every player on our team who is not yet vaccinated to get vaccinated as soon as possible"? Is that asking too much? How about this then: "I am vaccinated."

That isn't hard at all, unless someone makes it difficult by making choices that are in conflict with the medical team and his employer. It then gets sticky, which is exactly what happened.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Here's a pro tip: unless you've been a college head coach, maybe you should stay in your damn lane and maybe try to not be the authority on what "is" or "isn't" a "SMART" thing for a college head coach to question from one of his players? 

The daft to come on here and grandstand on something one has zero involvement or experience in is mind-blowing.

Here's a brain-buster: have you considered that Harsin knew full well why he sat out, but he wanted to see how Wooten would respond when pressed about the topic? The NFL literally does this to every kid that comes through the Combine. It's not about looking for an answer, it's about learning how they react to questions, particularly uncomfortable ones.

I’m glad to see you’ve never questioned a head coach’s decisions. 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

All that was asked for was for him to lead on this subject.  That isn't vilification.  He isn't just another university employee and his contract alone is proof positive of that.  When you get the perks and you have the platform, people will expect more. They have every right to do so.

And his comments today were better, but he still didn't say he was vaccinated (probably because he wasn't). And he doesn't know the percentage of the team that's vaccinated? That's odd ...

I promise I wasn't going to bring it up, but someone immediately had to call many of us "silly" for having legitimate concerns. 

Otherwise, there is a lot to love about Harsin. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Love this quote from Harsin regarding whether he'll go with one QB, or have a couple guys out there: "It's always one guy, until it's not." 

Also, high praise for Dee Davis. Talking about his gamesmanship and his feel for the game within the game. Really going to be fun to watch him come on in the next couple years. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Really? Because this past summer you judged the heck out of one of our first commits 

Lmao. Judging a kid based on his play? Yeah that's kinda what happens with recruits.