how close to auburn was this?

aubiefifty

the pic was taken in 24 and it seems familiar. maybe golf would know since he was there back then? does anyone remember it?

nehi.jpg

• Haha 3

i think the area was and is still called the bottle? i put this in the football section because i was told only football fans and players know of it. grins

Edited by aubiefifty

here is another shot.............they said it was on a corner of 280 where you turn to go to auburn?

nehi 2.jpg

• Like 2

Yep. It's where N College hits 280. Small Chevron gas station sits right on the corner. Coincidentally, it's also a terrible Bottleneck for traffic especially for gamedays. Thankfully, they've almost finished installing traffic lights.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Yep. It's where N College hits 280. Small Chevron gas station sits right on the corner. Coincidentally, it's also a terrible Bottleneck for traffic especially for gamedays. Thankfully, they've almost finished installing traffic lights.

was there a motel across the street? i know you turn at the caboose on 431 and hit 280 for a couple blocks and turn right?

it burnt down in 36 according to the article i am reading.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

was there a motel across the street? i know you turn at the caboose on 431 and hit 280 for a couple blocks and turn right?

Yeah I'm not 100% sure on that part. I wasn't even thought of yet, but my grandfather and grandmother(both AU alum) used to talk about walking up the stairs to the observation window with they were kids. Unfortunately, like most "small town" historical stuff, they always seem to disappear. Tallassee Mill, Notasulga Train Depot, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, SuperAUsome09 said:

Yeah I'm not 100% sure on that part. I wasn't even thought of yet, but my grandfather and grandmother(both AU alum) used to talk about walking up the stairs to the observation window with they were kids. Unfortunately, like most "small town" historical stuff, they always seem to disappear. Tallassee Mill, Notasulga Train Depot, etc.

do you remember the slave shacks? there were like six or so when i was a kid and i remember thinking how a family could live in something so small. my mother told me most of lafayette was one huge plantation and when you pass through the place with trees close together on each side of the road it was their drive way.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

do you remember the slave shacks? there were like six or so when i was a kid and i remember thinking how a family could live in something so small. my mother told me most of lafayette was one huge plantation and when you pass through the place with trees close together on each side of the road it was their drive way.

I've heard stories, but it wouldn't surprise me. Most of Lafayette is owned by family owned land for lumber now, so who knows what was there back in those days. Now I do know there is a town-rumored Civil War graveyard out in what is now behind a large cow pasture in Notasulga . About 20 very old unmarked graves and very obscure unless you knew the owners of the land. You'll get shot for trespassing out in that area 😂

• Like 1

kind of on the same topic,  Does anyone remember where the bar called "The  Alamo"  used to be.     It was the first bar I ever went into as a freshman at auburn.  The only bar I knew of that they didn't card underaged drinkers at the time. 

I think I remember it being on the north side of  280, west of the bottle about15-20 minutes.     Mid 1980's it was already seriously dilapidated. Torn down maybe 1989ish.    May be out toward Waverly.    

• Like 2

I believe the Alamo may be the place formerly called Rose Hill.  Out in the country close to nothing, it seemed to be a BYOB tavern/restaurant.  I recall going in there once or twice with my Dad.  I believe it was west of Waverly, not in Lee County.

• Thanks 1

Just now, OlderWhiskey said:

I believe the Alamo may be the place formerly called Rose Hill.  Out in the country close to nothing, it seemed to be a BYOB tavern/restaurant.  I recall going in there once or twice with my Dad.  I believe it was west of Waverly, not in Lee County.

That had to have been it.    I remember bringing our own beer.   We drank on the open patio area (I think it was open because the roof was rotted away.  LOL)

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

the pic was taken in 24 and it seems familiar. maybe golf would know since he was there back then? does anyone remember it?

nehi.jpg

Interesting. Never saw this photo before but it really should have been an orange NEHI instead. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

mods i have no idea where this goes or even how to move it all. i can delelte if you guys wish. i apologize for not thinking of it before hand.

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

kind of on the same topic,  Does anyone remember where the bar called "The  Alamo"  used to be.     It was the first bar I ever went into as a freshman at auburn.  The only bar I knew of that they didn't card underaged drinkers at the time. 

I think I remember it being on the north side of  280, west of the bottle about15-20 minutes.     Mid 1980's it was already seriously dilapidated. Torn down maybe 1989ish.    May be out toward Waverly.    

Out towards Dadeville?

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It was out 280, not far out of town, before you got to Waverly. The building is still there pretty sure

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

may be.  I rode with a bunch of older students.   

If I recall correctly, a tired, white cinder block building. For a couple of weekends it was the place to go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

If I recall correctly, a tired, white cinder block building.  For a couple of weekends it was the place to go.

that sounds like it.  I remember it having a walled in pavilion (or garage)  on the side.   About the size of Harry's  on Opelika rd.   About the same sanitary level.

You bet, it only lasted a couple weekends.   Most of us were just 18 years old and all fluckered-up.    I don't know if anyone was officially running the place.  I am not even sure there was anyone there serving us.  Small, dark and  dilapidated.   If it was run by anyone,  it must have been an old rum runner that just did not give a crap about anything.  It was a blast.   LOL

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

I wish they had tried to preserve more of "Old Auburn." Opelika has done a far superior job at balancing the need to stay modern with nostalgic reverence.

(Yes, I know it helps that they don't have to provide living space for 25K+ students.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I think there was a motel beside the gas station and a kind of rest stop across the street. It has been a while but I think that is right.

• Like 1

The gas station was still called the bottle when I was going to school.  I lived in an apartment on top of that gas station for a while.  That intersection is still labeled "the Bottle" in Google Maps.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Auburn,+AL/@32.6278835,-85.5585712,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x888cf12fb39bf883:0xcb25919235d39358!8m2!3d32.6098566!4d-85.4807825

• Love 1

15 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

it burnt down in 36 according to the article i am reading.

Wood construction structure. Corner of 147 and 280. Reworking that intersection now and almost complete. Making it much more user friendly. Always been a pretty dangerous stretch from around there into Opelika. Also put a round-a-bout in at the intersection of 147 and 72

• Like 1