Moving Forward

JMassie11

I know he is an NFL future hall of famer, but watch Aaron Rodgers throw the ball.    He knows touch and when to bring the heat.   For all those that say velocity shouldn’t matter.   

Just now, AUght2win said:

Shedrick had maybe the worst of the day on that post.

Well I'm about done with Jackson I must admit. That pass to shivers they even talked about and while Murray isn't my fave he played QB at a high level.

I'm actually more pissed at not looking at the tight end on that play, but that's just me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Well I'm about done with Jackson I must admit. That pass to shivers they even talked about and while Murray isn't my fave he played QB at a high level.

I'm actually more pissed at not looking at the tight end on that play, but that's just me

I'm just at peace with Bo being subpar. He is what he is. I personally had written him off after GSU and still wouldn't mind seeing TJ going forward. To me, it's like how can we find a way to win with that handicap.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I’m more upset with the double move on max protection that he completely gave up on when there were only two receivers on a route

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m more upset with the double move on max protection that he completely gave up on when there were only two receivers on a route

And if he throws it, it's either thrown 6 yards out of bounds, or hits Shed in the hands and is dropped. Kidding, but that's what our passing game feels like at the moment. 

I just don't think many folks are understanding that not being able to stretch the field leads to a weaker running game. Even if you have a great line and running backs, it's tough to consistently run when the defense has zero respect for anything 15 yards down the field. It's both a QB and receiver problem. Simple as that. Upgrades needed at both

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm just at peace with Bo being subpar. He is what he is. I personally had written him off after GSU and still wouldn't mind seeing TJ going forward. To me, it's like how can we find a way to win with that handicap.

I'm over Bo. I'm not sure TJ is ready. But I'd love to see him get more series during the course of the game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fasttimes said:

Ive said it in other threads but we know what we have with nix.

id like to know for sure what we have with Finley or davis. Let’s grow and get some depth.

Are we redshirting Davis? I don't recall him playing in a game.

Go look at Hokes twitter for the 3rd and 2 play where Shivers dropped led to interception. Shenker wide open immediately on the right side. Would've been a huge gain if not TD. It's not just a drop and receivers problem. Huge issue with seeing the field and letting plays develop. How can some of y'all not see this?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I honestly don't think Bo has any confidence throwing the ball downfield. 

1 minute ago, au302 said:

Go look at Hokes twitter for the 3rd and 2 play where Shivers dropped led to interception. Shenker wide open immediately on the right side. Would've been a huge gain if not TD. It's not just a drop and receivers problem. Huge issue with seeing the field and letting plays develop. How can some of y'all not see this?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall sentiment about Nix seeing the field, but Shivers was Nix's first read on that play, and he was open. Not going to criticize Nix for going exactly where he should have with the ball in that situation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

Here's the play you're talking about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man I don't know what to tell you guys......some of the drops are because of suck throws. The catching is horrible and the throws are too. It's just hilarious to say take away 5 drops.....every catch shouldn't take a super human effort.

Then we make comments like their guys catch everything.....you mean the balls that hits them in the chest? The balls that get delivered right in the bread basket? You think?

For most games, you would be correct.  Bo is simply not an overly reliable, accurate passer. With or without pressure.   Watching him with your own two eyes, or looking at the stats, for his entire career, and it’s not really debatable.  But last night was better.  While inappropriate velocity (Shiver pass and another one or two) last night led to some drops, last night, Bo, for the most part, really did hit them in the hands and breadbaskets. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

For most games, you would be correct.  Bo is simply not an overly reliable, accurate passer. With or without pressure.   Watching him with your own two eyes, or looking at the stats, for his entire career, and it’s not really debatable.  But last night was better.  While inappropriate velocity (Shiver pass and another one or two) last night led to some drops, last night, Bo, for the most part, really did hit them in the hands and breadbaskets. 

There were certainly some bad drops, there were some drops that probably wouldn't be drops with a better pass. I've said that. I'll watch the game again tomorrow and will have an exact number. We have room for improvement everywhere. Robertson and Jackson sooner rather than later

2 hours ago, au302 said:

I just don't think many folks are understanding that not being able to stretch the field leads to a weaker running game. Even if you have a great line and running backs, it's tough to consistently run when the defense has zero respect for anything 15 yards down the field. It's both a QB and receiver problem. Simple as that. Upgrades needed at both

Exactly what I’ve been screaming and while we should give TJ a chance at this point. Again none of us see what goes in in practice so is it a protecting the football issue? Bo clearly is not capable of completing passes beyond 30 yards in the are.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Nix threw for 217 yards on 55% today against the number 1 defense in the country. Take away all the drops and he might have thrown for 300. Take away just 2 specific drops and we score a TD on our opening drive and don't gift them a field goal on our second.

Yes but how many yards did he lose scrambling out of the pocket. That counts too. 

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There were certainly some bad drops, there were some drops that probably wouldn't be drops with a better pass. I've said that. I'll watch the game again tomorrow and will have an exact number. We have room for improvement everywhere. Robertson and Jackson sooner rather than later

And of course I could be wrong, and velocity wasn’t where it needed to be, for sure. Too hot on several. What do you think about Canion? Why aren’t we seeing him?  I always defer to the fact that the coaches are on top of these guys all week and are going to pick the best players but he seems to catch a lot of what is thrown his way. Who knows. Capers catches them a lot as well. 

11 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

And of course I could be wrong, and velocity wasn’t where it needed to be, for sure. Too hot on several. What do you think about Canion? Why aren’t we seeing him?  I always defer to the fact that the coaches are on top of these guys all week and are going to pick the best players but he seems to catch a lot of what is thrown his way. Who knows. Capers catches them a lot as well. 

I thought canion was hurt or sick or something. I think it's time to just understand some players may not practice as well but they show up game time just like some guys are awesome in practice but during games they freeze up

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not disagreeing with your overall sentiment about Nix seeing the field, but Shivers was Nix's first read on that play, and he was open. Not going to criticize Nix for going exactly where he should have with the ball in that situation.

TBH, analysts will tell you, you can't really rely on looking at the film to know what Bo sees or reads. It's definitely easy as soon as the play starts to see it differently.

But on that play, Bo sees their is an overload on the right side, which means he probably knows there is going to be a pass rush coming from that side. He also has his first read as getting it out to SS in the left flat, and he executes it.SS is open in the flat so Bo probably thinks its a good play and executes it. 

I dont' see how you can blame Bo. Now one caveat, is if you really have a great passer who really has a feel for the game, that type of QB may see that they are blitzing is coming, and thinks ok, then Shenker may be open, and go that route. That's not Bo.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, shabby said:

Yes but how many yards did he lose scrambling out of the pocket. That counts too. 

I think he was -16 for the game. For many of them it would have been a loss anyway due to pressure IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

TBH, analysts will tell you, you can't really rely on looking at the film to know what Bo sees or reads. It's definitely easy as soon as the play starts to see it differently.

But on that play, Bo sees their is an overload on the right side, which means he probably knows there is going to be a pass rush coming from that side. He also has his first read as getting it out to SS in the left flat, and he executes it.SS is open in the flat so Bo probably thinks its a good play and executes it. 

I dont' see how you can blame Bo. Now one caveat, is if you really have a great passer who really has a feel for the game, that type of QB may see that they are blitzing is coming, and thinks ok, then Shenker may be open, and go that route. That's not Bo.

Don't overthink it. The play call was designed and called to get the ball to Shivers and pick up the first down. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 8:53 PM, au302 said:

"TJ will get eaten alive with this o-line", "TJ will not be any better", "He's a statue", "We just need better o-line and receivers and Bo will get better". Those are just a few of the common excuses used by several. They very well may be true, probably likely true, yet apparently it's not worth finding out. Absolutely nothing against Bo, but like you said, we aren't stretching the field. Hurts in games like today against good defenses. 

Yep TJ came in against the same defense and hit the passes. Again hitting the receivers hands doesn’t get you anything. Throwing a ball that does get caught does. Remember at least one of the passes that TJ thru was the longest gain of the day. So it wasn’t  like he was just making the safe plays. Bo has to learn to help his receivers by putting balls where the chance of catching it is much higher. I agree our receivers need to do a better job as well. Kind of a like a coach who can teach all the right stuff and still lose, he must find a way to motivate the players to do those things. QBs have to do the same thing with receivers.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 10:02 PM, JMassie11 said:

Exactly, just like with Uga today, up until the long TD we held their run game in check. After the 60 yard bomb they were able to do a lot with play action and open things up with the run game. 

Bo threw that same pass to Schwartz last year in the UT game.  I'm not sure why we haven't been able to connect this year on something similar.

23 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I agree.  Just to further that caveat, the below is Jarrett Stidham in 2017.  Stidham is a natural passer and is very talented seeing the field.  He sees the blitz and throws into it on a crossing route.  The 3:03 mark on the game below.

People have to keep in mind that JS had a better OL and better receivers by a big margin.

Edited by AU9377