lets discuss cooridinators

aubiefifty

On 11/15/2021 at 11:23 PM, AUreo said:

Somehow Ole Miss / second half was the tipping point. It’s all downhill from there…

I will play advocate and say A&M was a quintessential "bend dont break" defensive performance, even though we got ran on pretty easily and eventually broke in pass D too, but I will agree with this post

I don't like the ideology of "at the end of the day, the scoreboard said this..." because it rejects all context. We should've lost even with the holding the other team to FGs philosophy. The big dummy on the other sidelines just didn't take the FGs 

I still don't want to put all the blame on the D for that 2nd half though, bc the offense basically called it a day in the locker room. And outside of the last first quarter, still hasn't seemed to turn it back on. Which circles back to me wondering why Bobo doesn't get comparable flack to Mason. ~8 quarters of bad offense is bad offense

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I will play advocate and say A&M was a quintessential "bend dont break" defensive performance, even though we got ran on pretty easily and eventually broke in pass D too, but I will agree with this post

I don't like the ideology of "at the end of the day, the scoreboard said this..." because it rejects all context. We should've lost even with the holding the other team to FGs philosophy. The big dummy on the other sidelines just didn't take the FGs 

I still don't want to put all the blame on the D for that 2nd half though, bc the offense basically called it a day in the locker room. And outside of the last first quarter, still hasn't seemed to turn it back on. Which circles back to me wondering why Bobo doesn't get comparable flack to Mason. ~8 quarters of bad offense is bad offense

I don’t know who you’re reading but Bobo has gotten plenty of flack this year. 

40 unanswered points. 40!! Against Mississippi State! Mason is the goat this week. Offense quit working in the second half but they scored 34 points. Plenty enough to win. 

Offense has sucked for 8 of the last 10 quarters but the 40 unanswered takes the cake. Absolute trash. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hypothetically, let’s say before the game was played and I said Auburn would score 38 points in the MSU game.  Would you say that was/should be enough to win?   I think that based on the year that we have witnessed, that should have been enough for the win.   A blocked fg prevented AU from scoring 10 points in the second half.   I think holding them to 3 touchdowns in a half is reasonable.   Giving up 5 is a complete meltdown.   Not sure why everyone is on Bobo for this game.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

We have so many issues on this rollercoaster. If I was Beamer, at SC, I am definitely smiling. 

Agreed. He also might get a raise because if Va Tech fires Fuente they will definitely come after him. He has plenty of reasons to smile at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Didba said:

Blitzing would have done nothing.  Myers would have just audibled a quick pass on a 2 second drop as soon as he smells out the blitz and they hit a pass where the blitzer vacates.   The way you beat an air raid offense is to keep them off the field with long sustained drives , score a whole lot of points because its gonna be a boat race, and to utilize dropping 8 men back to force them to throw quick passes all the way down the field ala Steele vs Burrow.  Our depth on defense failed us in the third when the offense was stagnant. By the fourth, our guys were exhausted.

I'm glad somebody can see it

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, woodford said:

Agreed. He also might get a raise because if Va Tech fires Fuente they will definitely come after him. He has plenty of reasons to smile at the moment. 

That is actually a really good point. 

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

You guys are late to the party.   He is already fired 

I didn't catch the "if" in the original posting but yeah.

I would make a call to Beamer if I was VA Tech. Unsure how that would look on Beamer bolting SC so quick but maybe he wants to make his own path vs. being in his Dad's shadow at Va Tech. 

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Yeah, blitz against that kind of offense has never worked. Putting pressure on the QB does nothing to their decision making. 

It doesn't work against a QB who doesn't care your blitzing bc he identifies the blitz and then has the ball out of his hands before the blitz can get near him. Go back and watch the film. We did blitz some. When we blitz the ball was out of Rogers hands in 2 seconds. No blitz is getting home in two seconds.

If the pressure can't be applied before the ball is in the air, yeah you are right it does nothing to their decision making.

Edited by Didba

Every QB that has ever played will say that they are the most uncomfortable when pressure comes from the middle.   Former #5 and #91 aren’t walking through the door anymore.   Auburn doesn’t have the dominant defensive tackle currently playing anymore.   Auburn needs defensive tackles in a bad way.   Not average ones, dominant ones.   

39 minutes ago, Didba said:

It's doesn't work against a QB who doesn't care your blitzing bc he identifies the blitz and then has the ball out of his hands before the blitz can get near him. Go back and watch the film. We did blitz some. When we blitz the ball was out of Rogers hands in 2 seconds. No blitz is getting home in two seconds.

If the pressure can't be applied before the ball is in the air, yeah you are right it does nothing to their decision making.

His air raid literally replaces handing the ball off and so many think blitz = pressure......

Also nobody is speaking on the times we blitzed and it automatic td's

Everybody wants pressure but doesn't think about you need the personnel to deliver pressure. There's a reason why guys who's good at generating pressure get paid so much

Also remember when Lawson played and he was hurt what happened to that defense and when he was back how they looked? Pass rush is the number 1 thing you can't live without

• Like 2

It's funny though, all the crying but nobody that can reasonably discuss it. It's just he only rushed 3!!!!! Nobody thinks why or the pros and cons or the mismatches or the pace of the game.....none of the variables it's just supposed to be if we rush 4 problems solved! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's funny though, all the crying but nobody that can reasonably discuss it. It's just he only rushed 3!!!!! Nobody thinks why or the pros and cons or the mismatches or the pace of the game.....none of the variables it's just supposed to be if we rush 4 problems solved! 

Don't you know the best coaches are online?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

His air raid literally replaces handing the ball off and so many think blitz = pressure......

Also nobody is speaking on the times we blitzed and it automatic td's

Everybody wants pressure but doesn't think about you need the personnel to deliver pressure. There's a reason why guys who's good at generating pressure get paid so much

Also remember when Lawson played and he was hurt what happened to that defense and when he was back how they looked? Pass rush is the number 1 thing you can't live without

I think we are on the same page on this one.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

I didn't catch the "if" in the original posting but yeah.

I would make a call to Beamer if I was VA Tech. Unsure how that would look on Beamer bolting SC so quick but maybe he wants to make his own path vs. being in his Dad's shadow at Va Tech. 

If I were VaTech, I'd go straight after Hugh Freeze at Liberty.  Hugh's already in Virginia so the transition would be seamless and he's already built relationships in the area, he'd be a guarantee to get that offense humming in short order.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have been trying to reasonably discuss defensive scheme, it has not gone well so far...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Actually, I am mostly referring to the offense in my post (I should have stated it).

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Don't you know the best coaches are online?

This season has just been so crazy though. Look at it. You have the Greene stuff.....don't question stuff told by an "insider" You had the coach corn stuff.....shut up don't question it.

Complain about defense and not being blitz heavy when we all knew we didn't have one good returning d line. Complain even when the d did good. Finally have a game where we just was beat and it's fire him, as if we have the ability to be the super ultra aggressive defense but Mason doesn't want us to be it. We don't discuss strategy or anything it's as simple as rushing 4. That's the only thing to talk about. You say something about why this could be so it's you think you're so much better than me 😭

Post a bunch of rumors, find out the stuff isn't even true, THAT'S when the thread is locked because we don't do I told you's 😂 wr's marginally get better but it's bad first. When it's bad coach fired is good, as they get more experience and play better then it's because of the new coach. Then they play bad again and silence. 

Talk about experience and it literally makes some mad or they laugh at you. No it's definitely he taught them to concentrate better....😑

You say ANYTHING about Bo you are bashing him. Say he isn't accurate down field, basher, but it's completely fine to say I don't believe in the other guy. The other guy is a statue, can't read defense, can't handle pressure etc etc. How can you come to those conclusions? Anger. 

If you ask why these days it literally sparks anger. This is sort of new I think. It used to at least be give evidence or logic to your opinion. Now it's like a big group that feel they can bully you if you don't go with whatever popular thing to cry about for the week. 

And then it's a bunch of new people on top of that. At least have a history or resume of being correct or something in the past. 

It's like this isn't for discussion anymore. And it's accepted now that if someone offers a different opinion it's ok to attack them. I literally search for the people that actually talk football but it seems a bunch of them are gone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

I don’t know who you’re reading but Bobo has gotten plenty of flack this year. 

40 unanswered points. 40!! Against Mississippi State! Mason is the goat this week. Offense quit working in the second half but they scored 34 points. Plenty enough to win. 

Offense has sucked for 8 of the last 10 quarters but the 40 unanswered takes the cake. Absolute trash. 

How did you interpret what I said as saying he hasn’t gotten any flack? 

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Hypothetically, let’s say before the game was played and I said Auburn would score 38 points in the MSU game.  Would you say that was/should be enough to win?   I think that based on the year that we have witnessed, that should have been enough for the win.   A blocked fg prevented AU from scoring 10 points in the second half.   I think holding them to 3 touchdowns in a half is reasonable.   Giving up 5 is a complete meltdown.   Not sure why everyone is on Bobo for this game.   

I don’t really count the blocked FG as adding to the point total because we have had a horrid kicking game, in both blocking and making tough FGs currently. That’s part of our game. The 7 also came when the game basically done. We got zero when things were still realistically in play. 
28 points in one half is good, but you can’t just score 0 in almost an entire half and beat a team that’s comparable to you. 
If we scored 28 in a half, and Miss St was within 18 and got the ball after half, I would say we could still easily lose that game. Especially once I factored in that we have one of the worst passing defenses and they had the most efficient passing game. No lead with our lack of running game would’ve been enough to just sit on the ball for an entire half. That’s just my thoughts to the scenario you posed

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

To me I think the A&M loss is could be more of a foreshadowing of possible future failure than the State game.  We got only 230 yards of total offense against A&M.   This could be indicative of a coaching staff similar to gus that didn't have any inclination of how to deal with SECS DCs.  Some examples of that would be Minnesota 230 yards Florida 2019 285 yards. While I think A&M had good talent I don't believe their talent is any better than ours.  A&M gave up 500 yards to State, 470 to Arkansas, and 500 yards to Ole Miss. While Mason made mistakes during the State game mainly not making halftime adjustments the rush 3 drop 8 concept is the most commonly used defense against State See Bama and us last year and it was effective first half.  A MISTAKE OF GETTING LACKDESIAL during the half is a bad mistake but is correctable.

One reason I am not pushing the panic button on the offense after the A&M game is that Bobo has experience in the SEC and I want to see how he handles other defenses with talent such as Alabama to see how well the offense fares.

Imo. Pretty much all year on defense we play conservative the first half. I think we do that because of our lack of depth and of course adjustments. We don't have great d line. We have a couple of guys that are ok if all they have to do is pass rush and then can pin their ears back but establishing themselves throughout the game and doing all you need.....no. 

I feel like this last game was the worst case scenario and match up for us. And the straw to break our backs was going away and not being able to run in the second half. Once that snowball started it was over. We don't have depth and we didn't sustain drives so we kept the defense out there without rest and without depth. 

If you rush 4 you don't have your best players out there, the 4th rusher isn't good at rushing and you're just using up the little depth you did have. 

The plan pretty much worked in the first half so you don't have any reason to be alarmed until the second half. The entire plan is you need a mistake sooner or later to put them in 3 rd and long. There's no completely shutting out an air raid really. We should figure they are at the least score 21-25 points as far as where we are at. They just got very hot and we couldn't generate pressure. 

I think if we blitz a bunch they just score even faster because Rogers has complete control of that offense. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Imo. Pretty much all year on defense we play conservative the first half. I think we do that because of our lack of depth and of course adjustments. We don't have great d line. We have a couple of guys that are ok if all they have to do is pass rush and then can pin their ears back but establishing themselves throughout the game and doing all you need.....no. 

I feel like this last game was the worst case scenario and match up for us. And the straw to break our backs was going away and not being able to run in the second half. Once that snowball started it was over. We don't have depth and we didn't sustain drives so we kept the defense out there without rest and without depth. 

If you rush 4 you don't have your best players out there, the 4th rusher isn't good at rushing and you're just using up the little depth you did have. 

The plan pretty much worked in the first half so you don't have any reason to be alarmed until the second half. The entire plan is you need a mistake sooner or later to put them in 3 rd and long. There's no completely shutting out an air raid really. We should figure they are at the least score 21-25 points as far as where we are at. They just got very hot and we couldn't generate pressure. 

I think if we blitz a bunch they just score even faster because Rogers has complete control of that offense. 

A lot on here don't realize how bad a matchup Moo State's offense was for our defense. Their biggest strength of throwing 50 times a game played into our biggest weakness.  Lack of depth on line, lack of pass rush, and susceptible secondary.  

As former Dline, it was always more tiring for me to play an air raid offense rather then a balanced 50/50 pass/run attack.  Rushing the passer over and over is so tiring for the dline and not very tiring for the oline.  Exact opposite for rushing defense.  Easier on dlineman than it is on the Olineman run blocking.  Hell, when I played a shade nose or a 3 in a nickel package, my goal on a run play was almost always to split the double team and if I couldn't split it, I'd try and get a bit of penetration then cause a pile in the backfield by slamming all three of us into the grass. That is way less tiring for dtackles then trying to work a bullrush then a push pull move.

• Like 1