Been a while my thoughts

austudnt23

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

Tim Cook is CEO of the most valuable company in the history of humankind. He could create a handful of NIL deals for Apple with some major schools. Imagine NCAA athletes promoting the fitness aspects of the Apple Watch.

There is absolutely no way he can do this. It isn't his company, he's just the CEO. He has to answer to the board and a variety of others. It's not like Nike where Phil Knight founded it.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

So, why aren't we doing better with getting players NIL deals and what can we do differently?

I'd like to know what the Aggies are doing. I honestly haven't seen anything. Are their boosters just tossing money at players for nonsense "PR" deals? Like oil and farmers probably don't need a college athlete promoting thier brands.

Schools like Alabama have much more national name recognition. They get national deals, Bo Nix get Bojangles.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So, why aren't we doing better with getting players NIL deals and what can we do differently?

It’s been said numerous times, the coaches and athletic department aren’t allowed to do this.   Everything falls on the individual.    Know the better question is why aren’t the money people showing up now.   They hid in the shadows for a long time, come on out make this money u.  

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It’s been said numerous times, the coaches and athletic department aren’t allowed to do this.   Everything falls on the individual.    Know the better question is why aren’t the money people showing up now.   They hid in the shadows for a long time, come on out make this money u.  

So guessing this depends entirely on how many wealthy alums you have willing to make a deal? It's not like UAT has alums that are CEOs of any well-known corporations.

Does the ALC-Auburn thing help us at all? https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/NIL-Deals-for-Auburn-Auburn-football-Auburn-basketball-Auburn-baseball-174462643/

Edited by AUwent

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So guessing this depends entirely on how many wealthy alums you have willing to make a deal? It's not like UAT has alums that are CEOs of any well-known corporations.

Does the ALC-Auburn thing help us at all? https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/NIL-Deals-for-Auburn-Auburn-football-Auburn-basketball-Auburn-baseball-174462643/

You really doing your best to keep this thread alive

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Those schools have had consistent losing records too. Auburn hasn’t had that in a while. Nor do I think we will anytime soon. 

Neither Texas nor Nebraska was a consistent loser until they pulled the trigger too fast one last time on, respectively, Akers and Solich. Both would now be excited about 9-3 seasons. 

22 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd like to know what the Aggies are doing. I honestly haven't seen anything. Are their boosters just tossing money at players for nonsense "PR" deals? Like oil and farmers probably don't need a college athlete promoting thier brands.

Schools like Alabama have much more national name recognition. They get national deals, Bo Nix get Bojangles.

ATM has multiple billionaires among its alumni and boosters, including the founder of one of the major media companies (Clear Channel? Too busy to go searching for it). AU doesn't.

ATM and Texas each have more $ among their ex-students (they don't call them alumni) that AU, UAT and a couple of other SEC schools combined. 

Edited by TigerHorn

6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Neither Texas nor Nebraska was a consistent loser until they pulled the trigger too fast one last time on, respectively, Akers and Solich. Both would now be excited about 9-3 seasons. 

Akers?

So are we hopeless when it comes to the NIL stuff then?

Edited by AUwent

Akers?

So are we hopeless when it comes to the NIL stuff then?

Akers had a .731 winning percentage, not far behind Royal's numbers, but he wasn't Royal. 

NIL was a bad thing for any school without either 1) National name recognition or 2) a large base of fabulously wealthy alums (or just sheer numbers of alums). AU fits neither category. 

Ah, I see. He's talking about UTx's slump in the 90s.

Other than one good season with Mack Brown, Texas hasn't been relevant since Akers aside from occasionally spoiling things for OU. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Akers had a .731 winning percentage, not far behind Royal's numbers, but he wasn't Royal. 

NIL was a bad thing for any school without either 1) National name recognition or 2) a large base of fabulously wealthy alums (or just sheer numbers of alums). AU fits neither category. 

So is there any hope for us over the next decade? Are we just fated to become a bottom feeder, nothing we can do?

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Other than one good season with Mack Brown, Texas hasn't been relevant since Akers aside from occasionally spoiling things for OU. 

https://collegefootballnews.com/2016/08/ap-all-time-college-football-rankings-best-teams-2000s

A 110-19 record during a decade isn't exactly what I'd call "hasn't been relevant other than one good season."

Edited by AUwent

On 11/18/2021 at 1:25 PM, austudnt23 said:

Hearing bball recruits call us a basketball school makes me sick.

I understand that but truth is we have become a basketball school.  B’ball team led by a very competent balls to the wall coach and the football team....well......

29 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Right but we aren’t there yet, so to keep attributing us as Tennessee is disingenuous at best . At least let us have one losing season before applying that qualifier . Those schools have had multiple losing seasons continuing now.  9 win season? Those guys wish they were even bowl eligible. This is our meltdown year and ultimately we will probably end up with a 7 win season counting the bowl game. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Because you're just Auburn.  

And in the grand scheme of things, Auburn is just not that important, because they don't take themselves seriously, and do what they need to do to make themselves important.  Talk a lot, but never put their money where their mouth is, and have some incredibly weak leadership.

And it shows.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There is absolutely no way he can do this. It isn't his company, he's just the CEO. He has to answer to the board and a variety of others. It's not like Nike where Phil Knight founded it.

Actually he can if he wanted too. Dont tell me if He wanted to get an AU player in an apple advertisement or commercial or whatever he couldn’t. Problem is he liked Gus and Harsin doesn't even try with big money alum. Maybe last night will help people demand for what they want now. I told you the fans can force the decision. Just seeing empty seats at home games all year long should be enough to get something rolling. As much as i wanted to win last night what happened is probably the best thing for Auburn football. We were a right outside of top ten team after ole miss. This team has regressed and who is to blame for that. I was accused of posting a hit piece last week now when we finish with a blow out loss to bama maybe we can get something done. Mullen just fired btw. There is only one fix to this problem coaching wise we better get a move on. LK will choose AU over UF but will out administration move in time?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

We need a Bobby Lowder type alpha to emerge and get everyone on the same page again. Seriously, Bruce is the only one that could maybe get that universal respect. Give him the AD title. Because lets say Harsin does leave. All the boosters fight over who the next coach is. Then, whoever it is goes 6-6 again next year. The booster factions start fighting again. We are all melting down calling for another switch. They need to get everyone on the same page that it's gonna take a few years, regardless of the coach

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Because you're just Auburn.  

And in the grand scheme of things, Auburn is just not that important, because they don't take themselves seriously, and do what they need to do to make themselves important.  Talk a lot, but never put their money where their mouth is, and have some incredibly weak leadership.

And it shows.

This is wrong. Auburn is very important to alot of people in this state i would say rn the second most important institution in the state. Not that important lol. This isnt about money from boosters why do people just talk when they have no clue what the truth is. So this is about boosters who have been basically outcasts in Auburn made that way by BH and co. Trust me all they ever wanted was to win and people blame them for trying to help win. Basically in the new recruiting era boosters become a oart if recruiting and this helps AU not hurts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, au302 said:

We need a Bobby Lowder type alpha to emerge and get everyone on the same page again. Seriously, Bruce is the only one that could maybe get that universal respect. Give him the AD title. Because lets say Harsin does leave. All the boosters fight over who the next coach is. Then, whoever it is goes 6-6 again next year. The booster factions start fighting again. We are all melting down calling for another switch. They need to get everyone on the same page that it's gonna take a few years, regardless of the coach

BH needs to get out of AU asap. This is the best fir both parties now. I never dreamed he could lose last night. 

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

we do not need another bobby lowder type

Edited by Randman5000

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

This is wrong. Auburn is very important to alot of people in this state i would say rn the second most important institution in the state. Not that important lol. This isnt about money from boosters why do people just talk when they have no clue what the truth is. So this is about boosters who have been basically outcasts in Auburn made that way by BH and co. Trust me all they ever wanted was to win and people blame them for trying to help win. Basically in the new recruiting era boosters become a oart if recruiting and this helps AU not hurts. 

There is zero leadership. You got Rane and his co. Lowder and his co. Harsin and his co. AG on the outside looking in. Gogue on the way out. I don't doubt that they want to win. But they somehow gotta get a coach that all of them will respect and get behind (unlikely) plus open up their checkbooks and give them time. You say Kiffin is that guy. But with his personality do you see him stroking Jimmy Rane's ego? Probably not