Harsin saying 6-6 is not a good first year.

autiger88

13 hours ago, fredst said:

Who do you think that we should have hired to replace Gus? Or, in your opinion, should we have retained Gus? 

I would begin a search by looking at most head coaches in the SEC. (for example, Tubberville came from Ole Miss) Gus was former Arkansas offensive coordinator etc. etc. etc. Then I would look at the top 4 to 6 teams in the SEC and see who their offensive and defensive of coordinators are. Do the same with the coordinators of the top two or three teams in the ACC, and even top two teams in the Big Ten. Do the addition and you’re looking at 30 some to 40 some coaches to choose from. Start at the top and work your way down. I promise you before long, you’ll get someone willing to make five to seven mil per year per, Coaching at a program that has a couple of national championships and in reality (if we were just claim them) more like 5 to 8 national championships, and three Heisman Trophy winners.

As far as firing Gus goes, I said numerous times on here, it was probably time for Gus to go. But I wouldn’t have fired him, after the Covid season, if I didn’t have a good replacement lined up. As I stated earlier, why spend $30 million to get rid of the guy and his staff, to bring someone in, who may not be any better?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, woodford said:

Auburn doesn't (or did not at the time) care about basketball. That was a total gamble. If it works then sweet! If not, meh who cares it's just basketball. It has worked.

They won't take gambles like that with football imo tbh

Respectfully disagree that Bruce Pearl was a gamble! Guy was an extremely successful head coach with a very charismatic personality. The only gamble was whether he would get us in trouble with the NCAA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I would begin a search by looking at most head coaches in the SEC. (for example, Tubberville came from Ole Miss) Gus was former Arkansas offensive coordinator etc. etc. etc. Then I would look at the top 4 to 6 teams in the SEC and see who their offensive and defensive of coordinators are. Do the same with the coordinators of the top two or three teams in the ACC, and even top two teams in the Big Ten. Do the addition and you’re looking at 30 some to 40 some coaches to choose from. Start at the top and work your way down. I promise you before long, you’ll get someone willing to make five to seven mil per year per, Coaching at a program that has a couple of national championships and in reality (if we were just claim them) more like 5 to 8 national championships, and three Heisman Trophy winners.

As far as firing Gus goes, I said numerous times on here, it was probably time for Gus to go. But I wouldn’t have fired him, after the Covid season, if I didn’t have a good replacement lined up. As I stated earlier, why spend $30 million to get rid of the guy and his staff, to bring someone in, who may not be any better?

Why do you think this strategy would have landed a person that was more certain to be successful than a guy that had run a successful program with multiple conference championships in his tenure? Could you have found a host of candidates? Of course. Would they be more assured of success? Hardly. Sarkisian just finished a year at UTx  that wasn’t exactly a resounding success after being OC for one of the most dominant national championship teams in the past 20 years. Harsin may not be the guy but I’m not sure that your plan would have guaranteed success either. OU is about to find that out with Venables just like UF did with Muschamp. Specifically, who do you think that we should have hired?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fredst said:

Why do you think this strategy would have landed a person that was more certain to be successful than a guy that had run a successful program with multiple conference championships in his tenure? Could you have found a host of candidates? Of course. Would they be more assured of success? Hardly. Sarkisian just finished a year at UTx  that wasn’t exactly a resounding success after being OC for one of the most dominant national championship teams in the past 20 years. Harsin may not be the guy but I’m not sure that your plan would have guaranteed success either. OU is about to find that out with Venables just like UF did with Muschamp. Specifically, who do you think that we should have hired?

Arguably the guy doing the best coaching job in the SEC doesn't fit 24's criteria.

Sam Pittman took Arkansas from 19 straight SEC losses to a New Year's Day bowl in two years.  And he was just an o line coach.  Never coordinated an offense in his career.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, fredst said:

Lane Kiffin

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Someone from the list, as I explained it, I think would have a much better chance of success, versus a guy from Boise Idaho. Not just after the six - six season. But the personnel and coaching decisions, pre-season, during the season and after the season. Then there is the playcalling, yes, you do know, he was calling some of the plays. Then there is our state of recruiting, sure doesn’t make him look very competent..

I said this before on here and got roasted for it but the fact remains, Finebum who I can’t stand, said when it comes to recruiting and coaching he doesn’t exactly have the personality that lights up the room.

My personal number one choice would have been Freeze. 

Edited by AU-24
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Someone from the list, as I explained it, I think would have a much better chance of success, versus a guy from Boise Idaho. Not just after the six - six season. But the personnel and coaching decisions, pre-season, during the season and after the season. Then there is the playcalling, yes, you do know, he was calling some of the plays. Then there is our state of recruiting, sure doesn’t make him look very competent..

I said this before on here and got roasted for it but the fact remains, Finebum who I can’t stand, said when it comes to recruiting and coaching he doesn’t exactly have the personality that lights up the room.

So by your standards and logic, Florida should have never hired Urban Meyer since he was a Mountain West coach with no SEC ties.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So by your standards and logic, Florida should have never hired Urban Meyer since he was a Mountain West coach with no SEC ties.

And Urban Meyer is known for having a "lights up the room" personality.......not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fredst said:

This is what people forget.  Its easy to be the a gerat OC/DC at Bama, Georgia, Clemson, etc, when you have more talent that everyone else.  Same with Joe Brady, when all 11 starters are now in the NFL its easy to have a great offense.  How many of these former top coordinators actually make it?  Name a Hot Coach that has succeeded when going to a bigger school, most flame out.  That is why it is all a gamble.  I would rather take Harsin or Napier (still a gamble) as a coach who has built programs and won conference championships, over a hot name.

BTW I would have went after Lane last year as well.  I think he has grown a lot over his career but not sure our BOT would allow it.

Edited by AubieinNC2009
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

But I wouldn’t have fired him, after the Covid season, if I didn’t have a good replacement lined up. As I stated earlier, why spend $30 million to get rid of the guy and his staff, to bring someone in, who may not be any better?

Would you have held on to Gus this year as well, say Gus loss to Bama,LSU,PSU,TAM,and UGA and was 7-5.  Knowing all the bigger schools that fired coaches it would be harder to get the best guy this year than last.

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Harsin will be fine if we get behind him and pull in the same direction. 

I agree.  As long as he is the coach, we need to show our support. One year is not enough time to show what he can or cannot do. All this talk of replacing him is detrimental to our team and our team’s future.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Considering he's black listed by the SEC, I would call his availability into question.

Edit: Also when you consider the well-documented methods by which he attained his top recruiting classes, I'm hesitant to really consider him an SEC caliber coach. He's done well at the G5 level.

He attained those recruiting classes using the same methods every other serious SEC program uses.  His problem was he beat Nicky too many times so Nicky called his buddy Emmert and it got handled.  

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Not that facts matter, but of his last 8 years as a HC (5 Ole Miss/3 at Liberty) he’s had 5 seasons of at least 5 losses. 

Also regarding another fan favorite Kiffin, he’s had 5 or more losses in 5 of his 10 seasons. 

When you  look at HCs based on their whole body of work, things look very different. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not that facts matter, but of his last 8 years as a HC (5 Ole Miss/3 at Liberty) he’s had 5 seasons of at least 5 losses. 

Also regarding another fan favorite Kiffin, he’s had 5 or more losses in 5 of his 10 seasons. 

When you  look at HCs based on their whole body of work, things look very different. 

And you'd think in year 2, Kiffin would be doing a lot better in recruiting. He's not. Why? Job instability for one thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

And you'd think in year 2, Kiffin would be doing a lot better in recruiting. He's not. Why? Job instability for one thing.

Exactly. I think LK prefers tweeting and trolling to recruiting. 

Edited by Gowebb11

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You think Gardin is Urban Meyer? Did you see some of the play calls this past season?

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I guess I should be happy for you. Glad you are so satisfy with the 6-6 season, (That would’ve been 5-7 if not for the SEC officiating assist versus Georgia State). Happy with Harsin’s quarterback development (That was supposed to be so much better than Gus) happy with his recruiting. Then there is his spectacular playcalling! Especially his playcalling when games like Penn State and Alabama are on the line! Then there is his remarkable choice of assistant coaches. It is so obvious to see, this guy has it all together! Glad Y’all are so happy with our coaching hire!!

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I guess I should be happy for you. Glad you are so satisfy with the 6-6 season, (That would’ve been 5-7 if not for the SEC officiating assist versus Georgia State). Happy with Harsin’s quarterback development (That was supposed to be so much better than Gus) happy with his recruiting. Then there is his spectacular playcalling! Especially his playcalling when games like Penn State and Alabama were on the line! Then there is his remarkable choice of assistant coaches. It is so obvious to see, this guy has it all together! Glad Y’all are so happy with our coaching hire!!

Edited by AU-24

5 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Glad you are so satisfy

Its ‘satisfied’, not ‘satisfy’. 

Edited by Gowebb11

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Its ‘satisfied’, not ‘satisfy’. 

19 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Lol; Brilliant deduction on your part. 😂

Actually its 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You think Gardin is Urban Meyer? Did you see some of the play calls this past season?

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I guess I should be happy for you. Glad you are so satisfy with the 6-6 season, (That would’ve been 5-7 if not for the SEC officiating assist versus Georgia State). Happy with Harsin’s quarterback development (That was supposed to be so much better than Gus) happy with his recruiting. Then there is his spectacular playcalling! Especially his playcalling when games like Penn State and Alabama were on the line! Then there is his remarkable choice of assistant coaches. It is so obvious to see, this guy has it all together! Glad Y’all are so happy with our coaching hire!!

Gets shown the flaw in his stupid hypothetical hiring process with a real life example.  Proceeds to move goalposts.

Nicely done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Gets shown the flaw in his stupid hypothetical hiring process with a real life example.  Proceeds to move goalposts.

Nicely done.

Lol; more brilliance on your part. 😂

How is the soon to be two week search for an offensive coordinator going?

Edited by AU-24

19 hours ago, casatiger said:

He attained those recruiting classes using the same methods every other serious SEC program uses.  His problem was he beat Nicky too many times so Nicky called his buddy Emmert and it got handled.  

Exactly!! Bingo!!