Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

18 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Since when were you declared the only football expert here? What a sad little man you are trying to bully posters on a football forum.

Lmao... good try sister but not taking the bait

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Some of yall really show yalls lack of playing the game at a competitive level when yall post yalls terrible takes.

I regularly freely admit my lack of playing/coaching. But I am legendary (in my tiny world) at finding and implementing workarounds.  However, we can both be right.   Yes, running into the loaded box was low percentage, too.  I assure you there are ways to at least try to work-around talent deficiencies and we rarely attempted them, with the resulting low scoring and 5 game skid.  Our play calling was pedestrian, predictable, mind-numbingly boring, high-school-at-best, with subsequent results.  Example, USF put 42 on Houston a month ago.  THE POWER OF DIXIELAND somehow managed to scrape together 13.  There are more examples.  But I’m gonna watch a Yellowstone.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I regularly freely admit my lack of playing/coaching. But I am legendary (in my tiny world) at finding and implementing workarounds.  However, we can both be right.   Yes, running into the loaded box was low percentage, too.  I assure you there are ways to at least try to work-around talent deficiencies and we rarely attempted them, with the resulting low scoring and 5 game skid.  Our play calling was pedestrian, predictable, mind-numbingly boring, high-school-at-best, with subsequent results.  Example, USF put 42 on Houston a month ago.  THE POWER OF DIXIELAND somehow managed to scrape together 13.  There are more examples.  But I’m gonna watch a Yellowstone.  

We seem to be somewhat on the same page, espcially on the low percentage stuff.

Have a good one my dude! Happy new years!

Edited by Didba

You too!  I’m a glass-is-half-full guy and I like Harsin attitude. Telling myself he is a highly-paid professional and will continue to impress in recruiting, gets a QB and OLine in portal, takes off-season to assess and implements a respectable offense next year.  Just sucked to watch the last few months, with the Iron Bowl heroics making it almost worse.  

• Like 2

Wonder if the Big 12 or PAC 10 has an opening for Auburn. Since we are just taking 2nd hand coaches in football maybe we can do better in one of those conferences as opposed to the SEC when we are only going to Win one when we catch lightning like Cam in a can.🤔 undoubtedly we just don’t have folks in the front office that are capable of finding football coaches. We were just lucky that no one was ready to take a chance on Bruce so we got a shot at him. Really since Pat Dye left, AU hasn’t hired a decent coach. It’s almost shameful. Looks like UGA or uat will pick up another natty. SMDH.

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Nope not bad playcalling, you just don't know football bud. Its okay. The dunning-kruger effect gets hard on you Gus apologists

So let me see if I have this correct.  Coaches constantly move players on and off the field to ensure they have the personnel, package and play call that matches their talent and the down/distance...it's a part of the game; every team does it; they even have a rule that allows the defense to catch up with the offensive player shuffle.  But, according to you;  when someone calls out that a coach (our coach) repeatedly ignored the personal and package that means that he "just don't know football; bud".   Thanks Captain Queeg for that geometric logic...now go find those strawberries.  

Now, let's talk percentages...Finley completes 40% of his passes in the 4th qtr...he completes less than 20% when throwing 40 yards down the field (I am being generous in that %; it's probably less than 10%).  So a 4th qtr play call that dials up two of those has a less than 10% chance of being completed.  Now, Tank had 6 plays that were stopped for 1 yd or less...that was 37% of his carries...63% of his time he gained more than 2 yards and averaged over 6 YPC for the game...what play stands a better chance?  

• Facepalm 1

Just now, japantiger said:

So let me see if I have this correct.  Coaches constantly move players on and off the field to ensure they have the personnel, package and play call that matches their talent and the down/distance...it's a part of the game; every team does it; they even have a rule that allows the defense to catch up with the offensive player shuffle.  But, according to you;  when someone calls out that a coach (our coach) repeatedly ignored the personal and package that means that he "just don't know football; bud".   Thanks Captain Queeg for that geometric logic...now go find those strawberries.  

Now, let's talk percentages...Finley completes 40% of his passes in the 4th qtr...he completes less than 20% when throwing 40 yards down the field (I am being generous in that %; it's probably less than 10%).  So a 4th qtr play call that dials up two of those has a less than 10% chance of being completed.  Now, Tank had 6 plays that were stopped for 1 yd or less...that was 37% of his carries...63% of his time he gained more than 2 yards and averaged over 6 YPC for the game...what play stands a better chance?  

I'm not gonna rehash the same stuff, I and countless others have posted that prove easily that the passing calls at the end of the games were good calls. If you want to hear my opinion on them go check out multiple takes from myself, bird, cbo, Cole, DAG and others that broke down why the passing plays were good calls.

Have a good new my guy, happy new years, and War eagle!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, japantiger said:

This is just a miscommunication.  @Didbaand several others, are saying that because Houston was not expecting the call, and indeed, the WRs had their man beaten, it was a good call.

you, I, and others, say say that because Finley (bless his heart) very rarely converts that pass, it was a bad call.   I say both camps are right but we are righter. Lol.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Didba said:

I'm not gonna rehash the same stuff, I and countless others have posted that prove easily that the passing calls at the end of the games were good calls. If you want to hear my opinion on them go check out multiple takes from myself, bird, cbo, Cole, DAG and others that broke down why the passing plays were good calls.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Didba said:

Math is hard for a lot of people

• Facepalm 1

Plus, something I have to remind myself of, every time I think about the state of Auburn football, is the fact that (and this is absolutely 1000% true and you know it’s true): take absolutely ANY college football team that you do not love with all your heart, and they get a new coach. Each and every one of you (myself very much included) would say that that coach gets at least a minimum of two years, maybe three, to turn the program around.

Now, when it is the only school that you love with all your heart, this rational thinking is not the case. I want wins, by giant margins, and I want them right now.  LOL.  And there are multiple direct and indirect signs pointing to better days ahead.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Not taking the bait, nice try! Have a good new years my dude!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Laugh at me passing on your bait all you want but it's new years and some of us are trying to spend time with our families and not trying to get into any lengthy discussion of someone's dissertation. Hit me up sometime next week if you want me to break down your stuff. War Eagle and happy new year!

13 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

This is just a miscommunication.  @Didbaand several others, are saying that because Houston was not expecting the call, and indeed, the WRs had their man beaten, it was a good call.

you, I, and others, say say that because Finley (bless his heart) very rarely converts that pass, it was a bad call.   I say both camps are right but we are righter. Lol.  

"In theory, theory and practice are the same thing...in practice, they aren't"

I wonder if the plays called by Harsin are because of things he sees in practice? I remember some years ago when Jason Campbell and Daniel Cobb went back and forth as starters. My family attended every home game and to us, anyway, it was obvious that JC was better. It turns out that after Cobb left, stories came out of him being a 5 star practice qb that couldn't seem to bring it to the field on game day. It was just extremely hard for the OC to sit him when he was all world Monday through Friday. Maybe TJ shows something different in practice?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm ready to admit that Harsin is doing a damned good job of keeping the players he wants to keep and letting go of players we don't need.

Just curious. Are u including Nix in the ones Harsin didn’t want to keep?

On 12/28/2021 at 3:08 PM, AUght2win said:

This was almost an exact rerun of Alabama. We completely seized up again in the 4th quarter. 30 total yards. Huge momentum shift with the Wooten INT, similar to the late 4th down stops in the IB. Houston was on death's door.

But the 3 plays following that huge turnover couldn't have been worse. Two bombs. Going away from Tank, who had over 160 total yards.

And of course, DD deserved at least one series today. He couldn't have possibly been worse than TJ today.

Those two bombs were wide, and I mean WIDE open. On first down and mid-field, you're playing with house money. On 3rd and 10, it might not have been how I'd draw it up, but again... wide open.

As far as DD goes, I'm inclined to believe the smoke... I think DD is still raw. Too raw for Harsin's liking. I trust Harsin knows a thing or two about QB development considering he was a successful on at the college level and has coached quite a few of them.

Yes, we were running against Houston a little better than against Bama but our lack of passing production was not helping much. I'm not too terribly concerned about Harsin at this current juncture of his Auburn tenure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Nix is gone isn’t he? I think that goes without saying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I'm not so sure. Judging by Harsin's tweets right after Nix announced, it sounded like Harsin was disappointed in Bo's decision to leave. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

My question was based on what McLoof said in a prior post. He was saying Harsin let go who he didn’t want (transfer portal, etc). 
so I wanted to know if he was including Bo as one that Harsin was willing to let go or not encourage to stay. 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm not so sure. Judging by Harsin's tweets right after Nix announced, it sounded like Harsin was disappointed in Bo's decision to leave. 

I don’t recall Harsin’s tweet. Doesn’t sound like Harsin to give away any of his feelings on anything. 

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I was passive aggressive, uh, I mean vague intentionally as I don't actually wish to have that conversation here.

But I do believe there was a path to Bo staying that Harsin chose not to take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

What tweet was that ? To me if it is the tweet I am thinking of it was more of a reaction about being a team player more than anything. I don’t know if I would take that as disappointment more so I want selfless guys here. But I could be 110 percent wrong. What I will say is it seems he went all in on keeping Tank, which does not sound like the same occurred for Nix.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Our play calling was pedestrian, predictable, mind-numbingly boring, high-school-at-best, with subsequent results.  Example, USF put 42 on Houston a month ago.  THE POWER OF DIXIELAND somehow managed to scrape together 13.  There are more examples.  

100 percent. And yet we have folks saying if we just get a phenomenal o-line it will suddenly be a "prolific" offense. It will not be that. Sure, if we get a powerhouse o line and a gun slinging bad ass qb we will have a better than average offense but the scheme and play calling was very pedestrian imo.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1