Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Bo has played statistically worse games, but he always had his legs. TJ is a pure pocket passer that legit looked like he had the yips against Houston. The throw to Shed 5 yards away over the middle, it looked like his arm hitched mid throw, and the ball was short. Same with some of the swing passes to Tank. These are backyard throws.

I think his confidence may be shattered. Maybe that *can* get fixed. If that isn't the case, it may be he's just not accurate.

TJ was bad, but he made some nice passes. The one to Shenker was a beauty. 

The swing passes were bad, but Bo never mastered those in 3 years. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Bo has played statistically worse games, but he always had his legs. TJ is a pure pocket passer that legit looked like he had the yips against Houston. The throw to Shed 5 yards away over the middle, it looked like his arm hitched mid throw, and the ball was short. Same with some of the swing passes to Tank. These are backyard throws.

I think his confidence may be shattered. Maybe that *can* get fixed. If that isn't the case, it may be he's just not accurate.

All that is true. But even after those games I mentioned many still found a reason to believe in Bo, even stand up for him. TJ might not ever be the guy but still like I said if people still saw potential in Bo there's potential in TJ. 

If he can harness his arm who knows. But he wasn't ever afforded the opportunity to get in synch with the wr's. I've seen him make some throws some guys couldn't dream to throw. He has a chance to get better. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All that is true. But even after those games I mentioned many still found a reason to believe in Bo, even stand up for him. TJ might not ever be the guy but still like I said if people still saw potential in Bo there's potential in TJ. 

If he can harness his arm who knows. But he wasn't ever afforded the opportunity to get in synch with the wr's. I've seen him make some throws some guys couldn't dream to throw. He has a chance to get better. 

Ironically enough, my belief in Bo not coming to fruition has jaded me a bit on believing guys will turn the corner haha. It's not fair but it's definitely shaken my optimism, especially with how kids are coming in prepared to play from day 1 now.

Regardless, I'm rooting for TJ as long as he is in orange and blue and rooting for whoever lines up under center. TJ has a cannon and saved our season on a clutch drive. No debating those two things. So he's got talent. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Ironically enough, my belief in Bo not coming to fruition has jaded me a bit on believing guys will turn the corner haha. It's not fair but it's definitely shaken my optimism, especially with how kids are coming in prepared to play from day 1 now.

Regardless, I'm rooting for TJ as long as he is in orange and blue and rooting for whoever lines up under center. TJ has a cannon and saved our season on a clutch drive. No debating those two things. So he's got talent. 

I have watched 5 qbs in the bowl games better than any on our roster this year at throwing easy passes to backs or 5-7 yard crossing routes over the middle in the last two days. Two of those were backups. It's really sad how good we could have been if we had a 65% qb. I know the o line would have had to be better, but you have to make the lay ups. I defended Bo at times, but he whiffed a lot. In terms Golf would understand, you have to at least hit part of the hole on a 3 foot putt. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I have watched 5 qbs in the bowl games better than any on our roster this year at throwing easy passes to backs or 5-7 yard crossing routes over the middle in the last two days. Two of those were backups. It's really sad how good we could have been if we had a 65% qb. I know the o line would have had to be better, but you have to make the lay ups. I defended Bo at times, but he whiffed a lot. In terms Golf would understand, you have to at least hit part of the hole on a 3 foot putt. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 6:35 PM, weagl1 said:

I am ready to admit that by this time next year we are likely to have a new AD and a new HC.  I wasn’t a Gus fan at all and agree something had to be done but I don’t think this was it.  I really hope I’m wrong.  

Maybe a new AD... no way a new HC... You can't change coaches every year or two.. I want results now too but you gotta give Hars more time.  I don't know if there is a true Offensive tackle on the roster currently.. Got a bunch of guards playing tackle. Takes time to get that fixed as well as few other issues... QB etc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Maybe a new AD... no way a new HC... You can't change coaches every year or two.. I want results now too but you gotta give Hars more time.  I don't know if there is a true Offensive tackle on the roster currently.. Got a bunch of guards playing tackle. Takes time to get that fixed as well as few other issues... QB etc

If you do change every year or two, it makes hiring the next guy very difficult.  Absent misconduct, clear inability to recruit in the first 2 to 3 years, failure to win an SEC game or some other extraordinary circumstance, you have to give a new coach 4 years.   Otherwise, you are really limiting your ability to hire your next coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

If you do change every year or two, it makes hiring the next guy very difficult.  Absent misconduct, clear inability to recruit in the first 2 to 3 years, failure to win an SEC game or some other extraordinary circumstance, you have to give a new coach 4 years.   Otherwise, you are really limiting your ability to hire your next coach.

Agreed

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Agreed

By the way my wife is from a very large town in NWALA-- you have probably stayed in one of the 5 star hotels there -- Phil Campbell.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

By the way my wife is from a very large town in NWALA-- you have probably stayed in one of the 5 star hotels there -- Phil Campbell.

LOL... Chat Chew back in the day

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

LOL... Chat Chew back in the day

Too funny.   Before the tornado their chicken fingers were as good as any...   And, after all, there was not another option.

3 hours ago, cbo said:

I thought the team looked prepared all season, except GA State. Often wore down towards the end of the game. 

"Bad" decisions often look like good decisions with better players. 

Those decisions also look good when the better players can catch their breath for a series or two, while capable backups are rotated in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

As pathetic as the bowl is, it looks that much worse to lose it. Go5 team.

Houston is not some johnny come lately team. Remember they waxed Sullivan and Beasley 36-7 in the 1969 Astro Blue Bonnet bowl? Won the SWC? Went to the Cotton Bowl? Yes they nose dived when the SWC died, but come on. In 2016, they beat Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield 33-23. QB Andre Ware won a Heisman in ‘89.

Edited by slyinsocal
added Heisman winner and Oklahoma win

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You asked. This is the reality. Don't ask questions you can't handle the answers to.

Thanks for confirming. Harsin and his staff, hired after it all went down, take full responsibility for the $28.5 million given to Gus. You got your clicks and your debate. You win. You always win. Congratulations. :ucrazy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

At least you’re the one person in this thread with a somewhat contrarian opinion he agrees with.

14 hours ago, japantiger said:

o, we had the ball, 1st and 10, with 2 minutes to go with Alabama with only two timeouts...we ran off a grand total of 13 seconds before returning the ball to Alabama with 1:47 remaining.

This is just flat out wrong.   It’s not only wrong but clearly biased in a way that slants a narrative that the coach is incompetent.   
Auburn had the ball and Alabama had all three timeouts.   Auburn did exactly what you supposedly wanted them to do in the bowl game.   1st down run.   Alabama timeout.   2nd down run.   Tank goes out of bounds.   3rd down run.   Alabama timeout.   4th down punt.   Now Alabama has the ball 97 yards away and a timeout.    How is that remotely mismanagement of the clock?

you show that you don’t have basic understanding of how that played out in real time.    The coaches can’t tackle Tank to keep him inbounds.    

Some perspective on other coaches first couple of years. 

Aranda at Baylor: 2-7, 11-2

Kiffin at Ole Miss: 5-5, 10-2

Tucker at Mich St: 2-5, 11-2

Holgorsen at UH: 4-8, 5-7, 12-2

Pittman at Arky: 3-7, 8-4

Ask fans of these schools if their patience has been worth it. The close to our season was frustrating but the coaching change was warranted and much better days are ahead.  Count on it! WDE 🦅 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This is just flat out wrong.   It’s not only wrong but clearly biased in a way that slants a narrative that the coach is incompetent.   
Auburn had the ball and Alabama had all three timeouts.   Auburn did exactly what you supposedly wanted them to do in the bowl game.   1st down run.   Alabama timeout.   2nd down run.   Tank goes out of bounds.   3rd down run.   Alabama timeout.   4th down punt.   Now Alabama has the ball 97 yards away and a timeout.    How is that remotely mismanagement of the clock?

you show that you don’t have basic understanding of how that played out in real time.    The coaches can’t tackle Tank to keep him inbounds.    

These gus apologists love their strawman arguments and biased narrative building.

19 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some perspective on other coaches first couple of years. 

Aranda at Baylor: 2-7, 11-2

Kiffin at Ole Miss: 5-5, 10-2

Tucker at Mich St: 2-5, 11-2

Holgorsen at UH: 4-8, 5-7, 12-2

Pittman at Arky: 3-7, 8-4

Ask fans of these schools if their patience has been worth it. The close to our season was frustrating but the coaching change was warranted and much better days are ahead.  Count on it! WDE 🦅 

Respectfully for everyone of those situations there have been negatives. The first one being Tennessee. I get what u are saying . No one knows  how this is gonna turn out. It just raises eyebrows when things happen within the program that never happened before or doesn’t happen often. In 3 or 4 years we will have an idea of how this pans out.

In 2016 we would've ended on a 4 game losing streak but we put Alabama a&m on the schedule right before bammer. That's usually how it went you put Alabama st or liberty or Chattanooga right before the bammer game for extra prep time. That's the reason you won't see ahigh number streak and that's why using a 5'game streak metric never happened is not smart. If you actually look, it's very easy to see that Gus has had comparable season to this and to offer that this wouldn't ever happen to him is silly

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully for everyone of those situations there have been negatives.

Some will chose to focus on those negatives first. I know AU history and that history speaks to a very positive outlook for a quick rebound. That’s what I’m choosing to focus on. 

• Love 1

2014 we end on a 5 game losing streak if not for that mighty Samford game right before bammer. Actually 2014-2016 Gus offered seasons similar to this.....3 years in a row.

2015 we were 2-6 in conference play but let's pretend this first year coach had the worst season in history

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In 2016 we would've ended on a 4 game losing streak but we put Alabama a&m on the schedule right before bammer. That's usually how it went you put Alabama st or liberty or Chattanooga right before the bammer game for extra prep time. That's the reason you won't see ahigh number streak and that's why using a 5'game streak metric never happened is not smart. If you actually look, it's very easy to see that Gus has had comparable season to this and to offer that this wouldn't ever happen to him is silly

Happened in 14 as well. Atm, georgia, bama, wisconsin and this was with Nick Marshall. Also had the usual cream puff between georgia and bama. 

Welp, I should've read a little further but that season kept sticking out the further I read this thread.

Edited by AU80cruiser
  • Like 1

Now the shoulda woulda coulda theory is being applied. How long had Auburn been playing those games with a Samford or Alabama State in between to break up the murderous row schedule Auburn had on the back half of the schedule.

U can say this should have happened or that should of happened but the fact is it didn’t happen. 

• Like 1

Exactly.

The scheduling changed to remove what would normally be a cupcake game at the end of the season. It's a completely pointless "statistic". If you flip our schedule around and swap the South Carolina and Akron games, we don't finish with "5 straight losses".

• Like 3